PDA

View Full Version : Lengthening back of miniskirt to cover booty

Momma_Jo
10-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Hello ladies,
This is my first post, I'm writing from Western Canada. I recently took up knitting again (I had learned some basics a few years ago, but never actually finished a project back then), and so far it's going well. I've progressed from a single-color knit scarf to my current project, which is a lace pattern miniskirt (also my first project on circulars). It's a homegrown pattern I found on a website, and it doesn't have sizes per se - I just changed the required number of stiches according to my size and the yarn's gauge. However, here's why I'm even interested in knitting a miniskirt - I can never find one to fit me! I'm fairly well-endowed in the rump, and whenever a ready-made skirt looks good from the front, it only hangs about 1 inch down from my crotch in the back. So, here's what I was thinking - should I try and increase the back a bit to accomodate the "curves"? The pattern is basically about 10-11 inches of lace, and then another 8 or so of stockinette, so I'm thinking about making sort of a "hump" in the lace pattern instead of just a straight edge, to make the center of the skirt's back a bit longer than the front - then I think it would hang at about the same level in the back as it does in the front. Do you understand what I mean? Would that work or would it just make for a funny bump on my butt instead?
Thanks, sorry if my descriptions are vague.

Ingrid
10-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Have you considered some short row shaping for the back?

psammeadred
10-16-2006, 06:51 PM
I would do short-row shaping in the back, probably in the stockinette section. Short-rowing in lace might be a bit dicey.

Ingrid
10-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Oh yes! Short rows in the st st section!

SandraEllen
10-17-2006, 08:07 AM
I also agree. Short rows in the stockinette section. If you don't know how to add them, just ask and someone will help you out!