PDA

View Full Version : Yarn substitutions/suggestions for gaiter (neck warmer)

Lisa Kay
10-17-2006, 03:12 PM
My dad's 70th birthday is this Saturday, and last night I got the bright idea that I want to make him the gaiter (neck warmer) from the pattern found in One Skein by Leigh Radford (http://www.amazon.com/One-Skein-Quick-Projects-Crochet/dp/1931499748/sr=8-1/qid=1161110455/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1037530-9877514?ie=UTF8).

In the book they use Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca & Silk. I just don't see my dad handwashing anything, so I'm looking to substitute something machine washable.

The pattern says to use a worsted-weight (Medium #4) yarn, with a gauge of 35 sts and 29 rows = 4" in k2, p2 rib on size 6 (4 mm) needles, with rib relaxed. Is it possible to make that gauge with that type of yarn? Isn't that about 8-9 sts/inch? I think I might end up on a #3 or #4 needle to get that kind of gauge. The finished size is supposed to be about 20" circumference and 4 1/4" high.

Well, I'm doing a swatch with some Mission Falls 1824 Wool (100% merino superwash) (http://www.missionfalls.com/1824wool.php). I'm doing the rib on size 6 needles, and getting about 24 sts = 4". I know I'd need to use a smaller needle to try and match the gauge of the pattern, but I'm not sure this yarn is going to give me the appropriate drape.

Any suggestions? Nothing like getting this bright idea at the last minute! :roll: I think I'd be able to finish it in time, assuming I can find the right yarn. Thank goodness I have more than one LYS nearby...one of them is sure to have the perfect yarn that one of you KHer's will suggest. :wink:

Thanks for any help you can offer!

janelanespaintbrush
10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I looked up the yarn on the manufacturer's website and the listed gauge is 5-6 stitches per inch on size 3-5 needles. I think that makes it a dk or sport weight. Maybe a lighter yarn would work better?

Julie
10-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Personally (and I know that this will come as a shock to everyone) ;) I would use Cashmerino or Rowan Cashsoft DK. Both come in fabulous colors, are very soft, and are machine washable. The gauge does seem very strange....35 sts/4" with worsted weight yarn... :?? ...though the ribbing pattern will "hide" about 1/4 of the stitches, so it's more like 27 sts/4"...

Lisa Kay
10-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to do more swatching tonight, and probably more yarn shopping tomorrow. Gee, it's just too bad that I need to visit another LYS or two... :teehee:

Any other yarn suggestions? Does anyone else know of this pattern or tried it? :shrug:

Lisa Kay
10-19-2006, 02:51 AM
Well, I'm off and running with this new WIP on the needles. Now the race is on to get it done by Saturday. xxx

Julie, thanks for the tip on the Rowan Cashsoft DK. Wow, I love this yarn! :inlove:

Julie
10-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Glad you like it! It's one of my favorites :heart: