PDA

View Full Version : Help for a not meant to be felted sweater???

Mulderknitter
10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
my DH did laundry last night. He accidentaly washed my almost favorite store bought 100% merino wool sweater. It is now feeling felted and about 2 sizes smaller than it should be. I KNOW that other DH's out there have done this, is there any saving my nice sweater???? :verysad:

Jan in CA
10-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Ooooo bummer! Someone more knowledgable will be along soon, but I don't think there is anything you can do once it's felted. :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush
10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
You've probably already done this already, but I did a little googling (because I was curious about this myself) and there really doesn't seem to be any hard and fast answer. The most plausible one (IMO) is to soak the sweater in water and a little hair conditioner (ostensibly to relax the fibers) and to stretch it out (i.e., block it). Many claim that there is no way to restore felted wool and that you're just out of luck. I think the best solution is to have DH buy you a new sweater. Good luck with whatever you try.

Mulderknitter
10-17-2006, 07:55 PM
ah janels, ty for the advice. maybe i just put a new sweater on my xmas list? i may just try the conditioner tho, ty!

mintdee
10-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Definatly try the conditioner. I honestly don't know that it will work but it is worth a try. If it doesn't add a new sweater to your list and turn that one into a purse!

Finish felting then cut and sew. Sweaters make lovely purses.

newamy
10-18-2006, 07:40 AM
You could also finish felting it and cut out peices to sew on things, like flowers on a denim jacket. Or cut out a heart and apply to a hand made card, that sort of cutesy thing.

Old Knitter
10-18-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm thinking....you won't be wearing that sweater again. Sorry.

:verysad:

Mulderknitter
10-18-2006, 08:57 AM
:waah:
Thanks for all the advice guys. I hate to cut up the sweater, would just break my darn heart. maybe I'll just keep it as a reminder to keep wool sweaters seperate from the rest of the laundry....