PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend knitting?

HamburgKnitter
10-18-2006, 05:01 AM
I'm curious, how much time do you spend knitting? Do you knit every day? Do you only knit on weekends?

I'm still at the "romance" stage of knitting which means I'm knitting every spare minute I have, but I don't know if it will always be like that. The knitting sure is cutting into my reading time! I usually go through about 2 books a week, but since I started my first knitting project on Friday evening I've maybe read 20 pages. And that only because I didn't think it would be a good idea to try to knit while taking a bubble bath!

So right now I'm knitting several hours every evening after work, and I knitted through most of the past weekend too. DH and I went out for dinner with friends on Saturday evening, and as soon as dinner was over we came back home and I started knitting again. :oops:

kellyjo32
10-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Oh to knit a couple of hours every evening!!! Where do you find the time! :shrug: I try to squeeze in some knitting during my lunch break at work and I get small amounts of time to knit during the week (last night I got about 30 stitches into a row, but hey, it's better than nothing!! :D ) My weekends in the spring and summer are consumed with knitting while driving to my inlaws about 4 1/2 hours a way. But that slows down in the fall and winter. So I start to go through withdrawals right about now!! And I'm taking two graduate classes too, which really consumes all that time I used to spend on knitting.
I've decided to work on smaller projects until I can start knitting like crazy again, because it's much more rewarding to finish at least one project a month!!

janelanespaintbrush
10-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Hmmm, well I've been knitting for about 8 months now and it appears that I too am still in the romance stage! Honestly, I don't think I'll ever outgrow it.

I used to spend a lot of time playing video games, but I just haven't felt compelled to pick up a controller since I picked up the needles. I can't remember the last time I did a crossword puzzle, and I used to do those religiously. Even when we go over to a friends house to play strategy board games (the best ones are from Germany, BTW), I take my knitting with me. I worked on socks as I waited for the mechanic to repair my tire. The list goes on... yes, knitting does have a tendency to permeate one's life. I do think it's a healthy and practical addiction, though, as addictions go.

Of course, I think you will find that KH (this site) is also highly addictive. My work involves being in front of my computer all day so it's easy for me to take breaks to visit. Over all, it's very likely that I spend more time here than actually knitting... and almost certain that I spend more time here than actually working!

HamburgKnitter
10-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Where I find the time? Well, the house is fairly messy by now! :roll:

But seriously, I am quite the homebody, so my evenings are usually spent at home anyway. I'm finishing up the pre-winter work in the yard the next couple of weekends and then I can turn my gardening time into knitting time until next spring! :cheering:

DH and I have a small business which I run full-time, so I also spend all day in front of the computer...and with no boss to get in trouble with I've been spending ALOT of time here this week!

newamy
10-18-2006, 07:38 AM
If I have a day off I can knit for a total of several hours through out the day or just an hour. Depends on what is going on on my day off. If I'm working it might only be a few rows in the evening. I've been knitting steadily since about March. I rarely miss a day. I have tuned into it's calming effect, so I like to knit at least a small amount in the evening even if I'm busy. I quiets the mind in a different way than reading does.

I too am a big reader and my reading has cut down considerably; but I miss it too, so I usually read at night still before going to sleep. Although I've been know to knit at that time too..

Old Knitter
10-18-2006, 07:55 AM
I usually knit about an hour during the day and perhaps three in the evening. I'm a very slow knitter....but, four hours a day is a lot for me to squeak out.

This week I'm going to have to fit in some reading time as my book club is meeting and I haven't even picked up the book yet.

Knitting does take a big chunk out of my life!

mulene
10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
right now, not enough time at all! I try to get a row or two done per day on my socks but its proving impossible now to do even that :pout:

Ingrid
10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
I knit everyday, my house is a mess, and I've forgotten how to read anything that's not on this site or begins with "Cast on XX stitches. . ."

When I first got back into knitting, it felt like more of an obsession than it does now. Now I seem to be able to wait until the evening before I sit down for some serious knitting time. Of course, the rest of the free time is spent here. :shrug: :teehee:

earthchick
10-18-2006, 08:12 AM
I knit every day. Usually, I get up early and spend at least half an hour knitting first thing in the morning. Then I usually spend an hour or two in the evening knitting before bed. Every now and then, I'll knit a little in the afternoon when the boys are napping. If dh and I go anywhere that involves even the tiniest bit of driving (15 minutes or more), he will drive so I can knit.

My knitting has cut into my reading as well, unfortunately. And my housework. Okay, I probably can't blame the lack of housework on the knitting. :teehee:

Marie-Louise
10-18-2006, 08:21 AM
On days that I knit, I knit for about 4 hours. But there lots of days that I don't knit. Working on lace now, so I really need to focus on the pattern and take my time. :??
Last night I knitted for about 5 hours and finished a garter scarf (very fuzy, soft and warm, wearing it right now) while watching tv. Now I must get that nice Lana Grossa Favola yarn I saw the other day @ my LYS for another tv knitting project. (Or finally finish the next garter/rib slipper, so I can actually wear them instead of just looking at one finished slipper :roflhard: ).

Old Knitter
10-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Some day I'm going to make mates for all the socks in my knitting basket. Our feet should be warmer than they are!

cara
10-18-2006, 08:37 AM
I too and in the romance stage! hehe. I try to knit in the evenings after I get the baby to bed and after I clean up the kitchen from supper. So I can usually knit from 9pm - 11pm or there abouts and take in our CSI or whatever is on the tube.

We are so busy during the day and up until bedtime for babe that I don't get much in unless it is necessary... like today I have a birthday supper for a friend and I have to finish his hat!

dustinac
10-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I still knit everyday and every free moment I have.. I keep something simple on the needles to do while the kids run around so I don't have to count or watch it as closely or if I have to drop it in a hurry I can figure out where I am :teehee: .. then after they go to bed is when I'll do something that needs more attention... I also keep a project in my handbag a sock right now.. that way if I'm at the dr or stuck in line I have something to work on...

I do miss reading though I use to read every free moment I had.. I keep thinking I'll start getting books on tape but it just doesn't seem the same to me :shrug:

stitchwitch
10-18-2006, 09:10 AM
I was afraid to open this thread for fear of having to admit I have a problem, it's good to be around other knit junkies! :roflhard:
I knit every day, all day during the day off and on and when I'm not knitting I'm surfing around looking for yarn and patterns. I've managed to be a functional junkie and can keep up my other duties so I guess that's good! :roflhard:

JamOKnit
10-18-2006, 09:33 AM
I too am having a romance with knitting! :teehee: I spent 6 straight hours (except bathroom breaks) on Sunday watching sports and knitting. This is highly unusual for me.

Normally I will knit for an hour or so at night while watching my favorite TV shows (recently, while watching the NLCS playoffs....go Mets!) since I am trying to finish a bunch of projects for Christmas gifts. I would like to bring my knitting to work and do some at lunch, but I usually end up working straight through lunch. It doesn't stop me from longing for my knitting while I'm at work all day though! :muah: Is it unusual to lust after inanimate objects like yarn and knitting needles?

And I can't stop shopping for yarn either....Michaels is having a fantastic yarn sale this week so I went up there last night and bought some worsted wool for hats and socks.... I am truly obsessed!

SabrinaJL
10-18-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose reading and housework has suffered. :roflhard: I usually knit in the evening while watching tv and all day on weekends.

beckyrhae
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Well... I'm not sure I want to really know how much time I spend knitting. LOL

I've only been knitting less than a year, and I can be very obsessive about things so I drag my knitting bag EVERYWHERE with me. I am up at 3:30am on work days and my "lunch" is usually before 10am so I rarely eat, I usually sit in the cafe and knit for that half hour. I would say I knit for at least 2 hours every evening, more on the nights I go to the LYS. We hang out there on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6:00-8:30pm. Friday and Saturday afternoons. When I'm close to finishing a project I will knit allllll day. I love seeing the finished project.

jessi_9783
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I knit everyday for at least 4 hours a day. I work at a radio station where I am a receptionist. I just answer call and get faxes. What makes it even better is I have a headset so I never have to put my knitting down. :happydance: I tell people I get payed to knit and listen to my iPod. In fact I'm writing this at work. Also knitting has cut down on my reading too. But I've gotten around that with audiobooks. My favorite sites are Podiobooks.com (http://www.podiobooks.com), Audible.com (http://www.audible.com) and Recorded Books (http://www.recordedbooks.com/). As for video games I still play them. I have a Nintendo DS that I play before bed every night and I'm a big World of Warcraft addict. In fact, I only really knit at work and when I get home to when I go to bed you can find me with my mic on my head playing WoW. But I sometimes knit while playing WoW when I'm not in combat, while running long distances, and while flying.

hellokitty165
10-18-2006, 10:24 AM
i knit around the clock...i am not working ...so i knit while waiting the rice to cook, wait at the doctor office, at my mother -in-law house chatting, watching all CSI, as long as i m idling i m knitting :heart:..and my house is a mess at times...i do housework seasonal.. :roflhard: :roflhard: ...and my husband helped most of the time and he is in love with my knitting too so that works out GREAT !!!

mwedzi
10-18-2006, 10:25 AM
How much do I knit? More than I should. But less than I spend time looking at yarns and on this site. it's loony.

cozy
10-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Right now, I probably knit 1-2 hours most days, which is enough for me. I went thru an obsessive period earlier this year where I probably knit at least twice that & would stay up until the wee hours to do it. (The house suffered more than anyone else :teehee: ) I've found that I have to keep up with my other interests (like reading--I can't do audiobooks).

jodstr2
10-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I try to get a few minutes of quality knitting time in every weekday after work before cooking dinner, after the usual flurry of just-walked-in-the-door activities are done. I also try to knit for a bit in the evening before bed.
I sit and watch my kid at TKD on Mon and Wed, and usually knit then as well.
weekends are unpredictable. I think most weekends I can get a couple hours in.

rebecca
10-18-2006, 11:19 AM
LOL, for me, and most of the knitters that I know knitting's romance stage is ongoing, it never ends!
I knit when I can, usually a few hours a day. I am disabled and at home because of the disability so I have the time available to knit. I'm very, very thankful that I found knitting, it gives me something to do and helps me keep my mind off of the pain :cheering:

Rorshach
10-18-2006, 12:28 PM
OMG, Knitting has a romance stage? Well, I think I'm caught in it for a good long while, been knitting for over 2 years, and I still keep going. Now, I don't knit everyday, but when I do it is usually for long blocks of time, 6-7 hours generally. Though when I worked at Dell, I was like the gal at the radio station, I was knitting whilst on the phone, everyday, for 8 hrs, got some of my best projects done during working time. heh, Ironically, enough, I and this other gal I worked with started a knitting/crocheting revolution there. For a while it was just her an I doing most of it, then it seemed like one day, everybody on my team was knitting. :happydance:

Lieke
10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I've been knitting for about 2 years and I try to knit every day. It's just so relaxing. Most of the days, I knit a bit after dinner. My weekends are just full with activities, so I usually knit as much in weekends as on weekdays. I guess I knit about 1 hour a day. But when I'm finishing something, this definitely is much more. I can't stand an almost finished project, so I have to keep going untill it's finished.

Stiney
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Not often enough! I try to knit as often as I can, on my lunch break if I have time, and then again when I get home. Depending on how busy I am, how tired I am, if my brain feels like mush, etc, depends on how productive I am--and how much I'm on the internets! Damn you internets, cutting into my knitting time!

If I'm home for a day and have nothing to do/don't do what I should be doing, I can squeeze in a lot more knitting.

projectgal
10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
My knitting time has suffered now that I am taking a few graduate classes. I try to knit a few nights a week while catching up with TV programs after Thing 1 and Thing 2 are in bed. Thank goodness for TIVO!

But it's also amazing how much knitting I can do in the carpool line while waiting to get my son from Kindergarten.

Just sitting down and knitting during the day? It just doesn't happen around here!

jberry16
10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
housework? what's that? I usually do laundry and clean the house in one day, usually wed or thurs and then knit when both kids are down for a nap, unusual. Most of my knitting is done from about 830-1030/11 at night. Although when I'm close to finishing I either knit longer at night, or during the day. I find myself on this forum ALOT during the day, and I usually knit on the floor while the kids play during the day. As for a knitting romance? humm, I think it goes in waves depending on learning a new technique, working with wonderful new yarn, needles, or a new object (socks, sweater, scarf etc.). Yesterday my son kept saying, Mommy come play.

CarmenIbanez
10-18-2006, 02:48 PM
I also knit every day. I have a 15 minute break and a lunch hour when I knit in my classroom. I also sometimes knit when the kids are doing their typing practice. I knit as soon as I get home, which is early, since I'm a teacher. I break for dinner, or socializing or my other current obsession: bowling. Other than that, all I ever want to do is knit. I knit on the way to LA where we go to visit and play cards once a month. I knit on the plane when I travel. I knit in staff meetings. I knit at friends house. One of my current favorite things is to knit while I watch NASCAR. I always have a WIP with me, as well as a knitting publication of some kind to read if I can't knit.

All my other time is spent here.

nadja la claire
10-18-2006, 04:08 PM
I knit every day, at every available opportunity. My house is a mess. I haven't read anything that's not a pattern in months. I have five different projects going right now. One that I work on while I'm on the train and at work during my breaks. Two that I am in the process of seaming. And two that are brain dead projects that I alternately work on at night when I'm too tired to do anything demanding. I am a total knitoholic xxx :X: xxx :X: xxx :X:

Nadja xxx

figaro
10-18-2006, 05:00 PM
I don't knit as much as I would like, you know those kids claim they "need" to eat! :teehee: And since they range from 9 1/2 months to 5 years, I guess I still need to fix their meals.:shrug: Then there is the housework, hubby would like to be able to see the floor every now and then. :oops: The best time for me is right after the kids go to bed and good shows are on the tv.

humblestumble
10-18-2006, 05:21 PM
I have too many other crafts that I love to do to be knitting every spare minute. Lately I've been knitting Christmas gifts, so I sortof don't have a choice. I chose to knit scarves (UGH) for my brother and his girlfriend, and I am knitting a scarf for my mom's birthday (which just passed and I STILL haven't finished it). Otherwise, I knit when the mood hits me.

I went months without knitting, forgot why I enjoyed it, then remembered why I loved it. I can gladly admit, though, that I am no longer addicted to yarn! I only buy what I need for a project now. I still drool at silks and whatnot, but I do not buy!

And I can gladly say that I love knitting for myself :) No deadlines, no rules.

Shandeh
10-18-2006, 07:04 PM
I learned the basics of knitting when I was 12 years old, but didn't really learn to knit until 3 years ago. Since then, I am completely IMMERSED in the craft. I am constantly buying more yarn and patterns for my craft room, and I knit every day. I'm also learning to spin yarn, so that takes up some time as well.

I usually knit at least 3 hours a day.
On Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays, I knit about 6 hours a day.
Sometimes, I spend the whole day knitting.

My house is a wreck, but my hubby and I don't mind. We are both simple hermits, so we get along just fine. He LOVES my craft room, and always encourages me in my knitting and spinning endeavors. :heart: :heart:

orcoastknitter
10-18-2006, 07:16 PM
I usually knit anywhere from 3-4 hours a night during the week as well on the weekends. If I have a project that is close to completion I will stay up until it's done. I normally knit most of the day on Saturday at my LYS. Sunday is laundry day and chore day. No knitting until it's all done (I actually have to hide my knitting so I am not tempted).

I next month my puppy comes home and I don't think I will be able to knit as much.

Cristy
10-18-2006, 08:22 PM
I recently took a knitting hiatus--which was actually more of a hiatus from this site (I was becoming too obsessed!)--i would still pick up my knitting a few times a week. More recently--the last couple of weeks--I've been knitting everyday again. I probably knit for at least an hour a day and on Mondays I knit for about 3 hours at least b/c I have my SNB. sometimes I knit intermittently throughout the day--like at lunch but my job doesn't usually allow for those kinds of breaks. I knit on the weekends but not as much as I'd like b/c I'm usually playing w/ dd, cleaning house or doing homework. I've been knitting for about a year and I've yet to loose my obsession--I still spend quite a bit of time look for yarn and patterns--and the last few days--I've been back to posting here quite a bit!

Liliyarn
10-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Um, I guess I too am in the romance stage. I learned to knit several years ago and knitted every free minute I had. Then I finally picked up spinning. It may be backwards thinking but I have wanted to spin long before I ever wanted to knit. Everything fell into place and now I split my free time between knitting and spinning. My house has suffered. So recently I have chosen to not have so much free time. I steal a few minutes here and there to keep up domestic chores and do home improvements. So, technically I still do knit every free moment I have. At least one day is "dedicated" to fixing up the house but I still knit at the end of the day. And one day is usually dedicated to spinning and sometimes I knit at the end of that day too. Work days I have muster up at least three hours for knit/spin and non work days are almost all knit and spin.

HamburgKnitter
10-19-2006, 03:14 AM
I feel much better now! :teehee:

want2knit
10-19-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm lucky if I can get in 2 hours of knitting a week!! I work 2 PT jobs and between those I'm running my 3 kids everywhere and trying to grocery shop, do laundry, cook and keep the house somewhat organized. Weekends seem even busier, we've got a ton going on with all 3 sons in scouts. Before I started knitting I used to scrapbook but I haven't done that in months! I will pick up my needles when my 2 fav tv shows are on--Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives--those are the only tv shows I watch because I work nights.

Maybe I can get some in today--I had to pick my son up from school right after he got off the bus at school--poor kid has a stomach bug. So, I'll be working on my scarf at least a little bit today :cheering:

Amber
10-19-2006, 10:48 AM
I knit everyday, my house is a mess, and I've forgotten how to read anything that's not on this site or begins with "Cast on XX stitches. . ."
:teehee:

I too have found that knitting has cut into my reading time. I used to be a 1 or 2 book a week reader. Now, unless it's a post on here, a knitting blog, or a knitting pattern, I don't read it. There just aren't enough hours in the day!

I usually knit for a bit in the evening after the kids are in bed. Some nights I'll knit for several hours, some nights I'll do just a row or two -- it depends on how tired I am. I will also sometimes knit for a bit in the morning before the kids are up. And, if I get some free time during the day, I may knit then too.

Generally, I'd say I average about 2 hours a day.

nikic
10-19-2006, 10:58 AM
I usually come home, eat, clean up, then knit, and then read 30-60 minutes prior to bed. However my reading time has gotten a lot less.

Quiara
10-19-2006, 02:04 PM
I always keep some very plain knitting around to do while reading so it's not always an either/or. I am addicted to my fibers, but I can't let my bibliophile side suffer too much.

knitknitknit
10-19-2006, 02:26 PM
I go through phases... I started knitting a little over a year ago and was OB-SESSED. No doubt that it takes away from reading time! I definitely feel the most satisfied when I finish something within a reasonable amount of time so I have decided that going forward I am going to start knitting with very chunky yarns...

I am currently working on an alpaca blanket which seems to be taking me forever (i am so close to finished!) so I decided I needed a break, bought a really chunky wool yarn and knit a cute scarf in 3 days! It just felt good to finish a project again that I am all about completing my blanket now and back on the obsession train! For me it's all about finding the inspiration (and the time)!

cocoa
10-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Hi all,

well I'm on my 4th week of knitting, i think.

Okay housework, who cares. Reading, well if it's about knitting and yesterday I swear, I saw a shadow on my wall " just yesterday a knitted piece with the needles in the yarn"

You know your in trouble when you're caught sleep talking asking "what end comes first" Sad, Yes I agree. Alas tis true.

Hands up! I'm a junkie knitter and probably, really,really should go to the doctors with an obsession disorder.

Are there any AAA classes out there for knitters? heee heee.

OH well, what the heck all good fun.Lol!

Maybe this video will share some light.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ZjMWLqJvM&eurl

Dee.