PDA

View Full Version : self taught and need a little help

nsavage
10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Hello. I taught myself how to knit by downloading a pdf file from lionbrand yarns website. Then I bought myself a niftly little stitch book called "Beginner's Guide- Knit Stitches & Easy Projects". I decided to make my father an afghan using the Divided Boxes stitch, which is really neat. But then I got this really cool idea that this stitch could probably have a few variations. I gave myself a migraine working out one variation which would be a giant divided box (the original is worked in multiples of 5 stitches- row 1: knit across. row 2: K1 P4 across. rows 3 & 4: K3 P2 across. row 5: K1 P4 across. rows 6 & 7: knit across. repeat rows 2-7 for pattern) instead of a bunch of little divided boxes. The variation that is giving me problems is working out how to work the little boxes into a harlequin/diamond design. I mean, is that going to be something that is easily figured out during the knitting or should I work it out before I even start? :shrug: Out of all the stitches in my little book this one seems to be the easiest and I found that it looks even better when knitted with a smaller needle than the yarn suggests (my yarn suggested a size 8 needle and I am using a size 5) plus I am knitting tighter than most people probably do (or so I have been told by my mother in law). Also, would anyone know how easy or hard it would be to make the giant divided box in two colors using a color blocking technique (one corner one color and the other corner a contrasting/complimenting color)? Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance your time.

GennyLynn1962
10-18-2006, 06:04 PM
I am new to knitting and your pattern problem is beyond what I know.

You may want to post this to the "How To Questions" in the forum. The people on this site are great and very helpful.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

Welcome to the Forum. :hug:

Gen

nsavage
10-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks. I just copied and pasted the post to the Questions string. Maybe someone will have an idea. *crossing my fingers* I mean the stitch is so easy- no dropping or picking up or YO or anything like that. Just straight knitting and purling. But I do have to keep a row diary to keep track of what I did with the last row so that when I put it down it is easy to know what row comes next. LOL