PDA

View Full Version : WIP my 1st really large project

nsavage
10-19-2006, 06:42 PM
I am working on an afghan for my dad. When I first started it I thought how cool would it be if it done in two alternating shades of blue length wise in panels. I also thought that it would be a different stitch for each panel but have since changed my mind. Now it is all in the divided box stitch. I am working on the 2nd panel now and as it turns out I got to thinking :?? that maybe this project would go faster if I just did all the panels at the same time (of course each panel would have to have its own skein of yarn). However, I am not 100% sure that it would work. Considering it needs to be kind of wide if it would work I would probably need to use circular needles. Each panel is 30 stitches across and the stitch is in multiples of 5 sts. The rows are as follows:
Row 1: (right side): Knit across.
Row 2:(K1, P4) across.
Row 3 and 4:(K3, P2) across.
Row 5: (K1, P4) across.
Row 6 and 7: Knit across.
Repeat Rows 2-7 for pattern.

This means that I have 744 rows (or 124 lines of divided boxes) to make up the length. I found that 19 lines of divided boxes (or 114 rows) equals about 1 foot. And a nifty little trick I discovered on this project is that if I keep a diary to write down what I did on the row just finished I make fewer mistakes. Because when I work with the dark navy blue yarn it is kind of hard to see what I just did, but on the light country blue yarn it is super easy to see what stitches are on what row. All in all though this is a fun project even if it is taking longer than I would like it to. When I can I'll see if my dad will let me borrow his digital camera to take a pic of the finished panel versus the one on the needles. Incidently, I got the stitch pattern out of Beginner's Guide Knit Stitches & Easy Projects with 26 stitches illustrated and explained by Leisure Arts little books. I think I even bought the book at Walmart. There are a couple of beautiful patterns in this little book.

IndianPrincessSIP
10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Keeping track of where you are in a pattern can save a lot of headaches. Mostly I just make little marks, I have to discipline myself though.

I look forward to seeing your work. :cheering:

nsavage
10-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Some people actually look at me as though I am some sort of oddball when I am writing down what row I just finished, but I just think to myself that if it were them they would probably have to pull some of it apart to fix things that I can catch before it gets tooooooo bad. I can live with the funny looks and all that because I know that what I do works for me. LOL

nsavage
05-24-2007, 05:56 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n154/nancysavage/knitting/3lightbluepanelfordadsblanket500pxl.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n154/nancysavage/knitting/lightbluepanelfordadsblanket500pxls.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n154/nancysavage/knitting/darkbluepanelfordadsblanket500pxls.jpg

I use little gold safety pins to mark every foot so that I can make it the right size (my dad is 6' tall and it is for him)

sara_jayne
05-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Wow! :notworthy: That is going to be beautiful when it is all finished! Terrific job!

marykz
05-25-2007, 09:11 AM
looking good- I bet it will be gorgeous

melissa.atkins
05-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Love the combination of colors... I think when making a big project like an afghan, keeping track of the rows saves you TONS of time and headaches!
Can't wait to see it finished!! :)

rebecca
05-25-2007, 12:07 PM
OH, your dad is going to LOVE it!!!! It's going to be gorgeous!! I love it!