looky here.

this scares me.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15319430/site/newsweek/?GT1=8618

knitqueen
10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
:noway:

yeah_im_crazy
10-19-2006, 09:21 PM
another thing i may add: i am only 13 and very, very skinny for my age-- and i'm still bigger than these people!!!!! women are ganna shrink till they disappear!!!!

nikic
10-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Yikes. I can see super skinny models, but there's a point where you cross the line.

I don't notice vanity sizing to a huge extent. I'm pretty much the same size across stores. But I shop at a lot of the same stores (Limited, Banana Republic, Gap, Express, etc.) I'm usually the same size. If I lose 10 pounds, the size decreces like you expect, and visa versa.

XbelovedXoneX
10-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Vanity sizing is a huge pet peeve of mine. I am a pretty tiny girl and I have a very hard time finding clothes that fit properly. I'm so jealous of my husband who can just grab a pair of jeans in his measurements and not have to worry about trying them on. My size pants range soo widely.I wear a size 0 or 1 in Old Navy clothes, but typically buy size 6 in juniors. Forget trying to wear women's or misses....They aren't made to fit my build. I feel like I can't dress nicely because everything in my size is made for to be trendy.To add insult to injury I get harassed at work for being skinny by other women. :wall:

gimmesanity
10-19-2006, 10:11 PM
I am a pretty tiny girl and I have a very hard time finding clothes that fit properly.... Forget trying to wear women's or misses....They aren't made to fit my build.

Girl, I hear you. I have the worst time finding jeans that fit. I usually end up going to teen-type stores (forever 21, charolotte russe) and just searching, searching, searching for something that doesn't make me look like a hoochie momma.

However, sizes less than 00?? That's insane.

It makes you wonder if the small sizes encourage women to lose weight, or do the smaller women make companies produce such small sizes...I mean, if they didn't buy it, they wouldn't make it, right?

Either way, it's unhealthy.

Ingrid
10-19-2006, 10:14 PM
In a few years. . .

psammeadred
10-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Ditto to the smallish of us who have trouble finding grown-up clothes! It's so hard to find professional clothes that fit without making me look like I'm playing dress-up. I'm just glad that the "grown-up" look is in now; otherwise, I'm stuck with juniors' hooker clothes (icky!). I wish more designers would make clothes that are sized to fit EVERYONE, not just the little or big girls. We are not cookie-cutter people!

<rant> Since when is dressing like a tart and showing cleavage professional?! If you're throwing the "twins" in your coworker's face, why should you be surprised if he has a hard time looking you in the eye? There's a girl down the hall from my lab who I swear has clothing-repellent boobs. It's so annoying when women complain about being treated like boy-toys, but they dress like sluts. Way to objectify women! </rant>

(sorry for hijacking the thread!)

Jan in CA
10-20-2006, 12:57 AM
I was very tiny in my early to mid teens which used to be more normal, but a grown woman shouldn't be a sub zero unless she's 5' tall or something. Sheesh.

humblestumble
10-20-2006, 01:44 AM
In a few years. . .

You got that right, Ingrid!

Julie
10-20-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree...if only we could have clothes with measurement-based sizing like men! :wall: Vanity sizing just kills me....right now I weigh 25 pounds more than when I got pregnant with my first child, almost 7 years ago. There is no way in hell I could fit into my size 6 jeans from back then, but my size 6 Tommy jeans that I bought last year fit just fine. In reality I'm hovering between 8s and 10s...it's ridiculous. I never know what size to try on. :shrug:

skNYC
10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
I saved all my jeans from 20 years ago. The size 7 then is the same size(measured by a tape ruler) as the size 3 now. Go figure.

zazzu
10-20-2006, 12:43 PM
I remember back in high school (waaaaaay back) when it was considered icky to wear a double-digit size. Now, I guess it's considered icky to wear any non-negative number. :?eyebrow:

I agree with others that sizes should just be based on actual measurements. So we don't all wear a size 2....we'll just have to get over it :wink:

Amber
10-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Yes, yes, yes...why can't they just size women's clothes the way they do mens??? 15 years ago, I was a size 5/6. I've noticed over the years that despite the fact that my weight has stayed about the same, I've had to wear smaller, and smaller sizes.

I think it's ridiculous. Size 00 -- that's just so silly!

Stiney
10-20-2006, 01:01 PM
:??

I haven't noticed any difference in sizing over the last 10 years (which is how long I've been wearing women's sizes.) The only exception is when I try to buy pants in the juniors section, and then I have to go up several sizes because juniors are sized different than women's. But that's why they're kept as a seperate section, so that doesn't bug me too much.

mks22300
10-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Jean sizing drives me nutty! I just wish they would stick to one size and let that be it. I used to be able to go right into Old Navy and just get a pair of jeans without trying them on, but now I have too. If I get a lower rise, I wear a 6, but if I get just below the waist, I'm an 8. Gap at least is still the same size in jeans/pants size 8. Tops are another issue too, sometimes I'm a small or sometimes a medium. I used to enjoy shopping, but now it's a pain! :wall:

iza
10-20-2006, 06:46 PM
OHH don't get me started on this! I haven't gained a pound in about 15 years and I went from a size 5 to a size 0. I have seen size 00 in a store before and it was actually WAY too big for me!!! I have so much trouble finding clothes it's ridiculous. :wall:

At some point I got scared and talked about my weight to my doctor. She said I was perfectly healthy... perfect weight, no cholesterol, blood test normal, no need to gain pounds just to fit into clothes!!! She's right of course... but it can be so frustrating! Why can't they just use the waist/chest sizes for clothes instead and have an actual RANGE of sizes? :gah: :grrr:

yeah_im_crazy
10-20-2006, 07:53 PM
hmmm..... i have trouble finding jeans to wear too, because i have rrreeeaaallly long skinny legs and im a size 0 waist. and when i do find one that fits my waist and leg lenghth--they are too baggy on the legs and butt. i only have like 2 pairs of jeans that actually fit me. no matter how much they vanity size, it will not fix my problem.

Stiney
10-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Well, it's not all vanity sizing. Sometimes, the cut of the pants makes a HUGE difference in how it fits--especially when it's something like where the waist sits.

It bugs me that they do change sizes, but even if the stores switched to standardized "guy" sizing, I'd still try stuff on. Because I'd want to see how a particular style pants looked on me. I've not purchased pants that fit perfectly well because they weren't flattering.

Cristy
10-21-2006, 12:17 PM
a few years ago I guess I could have complained w/ you guys--I too used to gripe that I was too small for the clothes. Maybe it's b/c I'm 8 months pregnant with kiddo # 2 and I gain weight like it's going out of style when I'm pregnant but I appreciate that I can sometimes fit into a 4 or a 6 when I'm not pregnant even though I'm probably really a size 8 by the sizing of 10 years ago. It's funny--I remember being a size 0 in high school and early college and complaining that my legs were too chunky and refusing to wear shorts...now..post baby (almost post babies) and having more stretch marks than imaginable from the weight I gained in my first pregnancy, I'm just praying to make it down to a size 6 again and I'll happily wear shorts all summer long!

I'd like to gripe about how skinny some of these girls are and say it sends the wrong message but in the end--I'm be thrilled to be that thin again.

Jan in CA
10-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Have any of you hard to fit sizes tried buying online? I know it might be scary, but some sites have harder to find sizes including longer lengths or custom fits.

Land's End custom made jeans (http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_68020_61674_42966_5:view=59,00.html?CM _MERCH=PAGE_68019&sid=0670105531054120910)
They also have jeans with length sizing like mens.

Knittens
10-21-2006, 02:01 PM
It's like the same deal with needles sizes. I wish that our clothes would be measured like men's and that all needles would be in millimeters. I have a few needles that are called the same size (3's) and yet the mm size are actually 2.5, 2.75, and 3.0, which makes a great difference, so I never really know what needles to use when a pattern says to use 3's.