PDA

View Full Version : The spinners guild here is awesome-I'm learning to spin!

Pink Dandelion
10-20-2006, 03:50 AM
I finally called up the local spinners and weavers guild and found out enough information that I could attend their meeting today!

The ladies there were SO nice and really helpful, bent on sharing their craft. I'd never spun before and told them that upfront, as soon as they'd finished a talk on a weaving technique one of the older ladies got up and had a few others help her to find one of the wheels they kept there. They also found a little bundle of wool roving for me to practice on!!

One of the ladies there had been spinning for 20 years, and she started to teach me how to spin. I'm sure I'll have many many questions for her along the way, she was very nice and extremely patient with all my 'first-timer blunders' . She gave me her phone number and told me to call her when I needed help... I don't know if she knows what she's gotten herself into

After a lesson she brought up the subject with the other ladies about the rules on loaning out the wheels! :shock: They decided that they should probably restrict it to members only, and asked if I would like to join the guild, since I figured I would anyway I gladly paid the dues and 'signed up' (if I'm going there for instruction and taking up these nice ladies time, I ought to pay membership fees as much or more than any member!!).

So, same day, I came home with a borrowed wheel!! :mrgreen: How cool is that? I never dreamed that I'd have the luxury of spinning in my own home for months (at the very least) - until I'd saved enough for my own spinning wheel!

These ladies are just so nice and very generous :hug:

Here's the wheel I'm borrowing!! :woot:

http://www.pinkdandelion.com/images/louetwheel.jpg

The yarn on the bobbin is terrible, right now there are loads of over twisted areas, and the stuff is 'thick and thin' (to say the least... ) and twists up on its self a lot and I'm a little shy to show it :oops: ... I hope I improve...

yarnfreak
10-20-2006, 04:40 AM
Looks good to me. Especially for your first spinning. You should see that yuck that's on my wheel right now! It only gets better. :cheering:

mullerslanefarm
10-23-2006, 04:17 PM
I think it's beautiful!!!

Give it a month or two and you'll be wishing you could once again make these types of designer yarns!

Pink Dandelion
10-28-2006, 05:28 AM
thanks ya'll :hug:

I learned to navajo ply yesterday, and the woman teaching me seemed pleased with my progress :happydance: I'm really enjoying this!!