PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate Queen's Booty Bag

taking_back_knitting
10-20-2006, 01:33 PM
My friends birthday is a couple of months away and I want to knit her a felted bag. But anyway I decided on this pattern because my friend is a pirate nut! So that's how I decided but now I was wondering if anyone wants to knit it with me. Maybe possibly give me some pointers if you can. I'm a little shaky with double knitting and fair isle. So if your intrested leave a thread!

~Thanks

taking_back_knitting
10-20-2006, 01:35 PM
oh you probably want to take a look at the pattern. http://www.talklikeapirate.com/download/bootybag.pdf

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow that is VERY cool!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-23-2006, 07:20 PM
I also like that it is adaptable to other designs. I also like this technique for double knitting, rather than the knit 1, slip one method.

taking_back_knitting
10-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I like that it's changeable as well because my friend loves pirates but I could repeat the pattern for somebody else with different colors and i could put a different design.

taking_back_knitting
10-23-2006, 10:46 PM
So is anybody in? :shrug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Guess it's just you and me dude!!! When do we start? I think I have enough yarn in the stash....

taking_back_knitting
10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Ok well first I have to wrangle up some cash for the yarn. I'll hopefully be able to stop at my lys soon but until then feel free to start. If anyone else want's to join feel free at any time. :cheering:

taking_back_knitting
10-24-2006, 08:29 PM
This is the thing that is worrying me however. It's not buying the yarn but I'm kinda worried that i'm going to totally screw up this pattern and my friend won't get a nice from the heart present. :pout: But I'll try my hardest. Have you ever double knit?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Yes, it's not hard at ALL! If you can do k1p1 ribbing you can double knit. Promise!!! Have you seen amy's video? It's on THIS (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/) page. The directions in the pattern are very clear, so I'm sure you won't have a problem.

I ended up not using stash yarn :teehee: I had to buy some "emergency" knitting supplies since I had a meeting after school today, and I forgot to bring my knitting. I noticed in the pattern that it didn't specify doubling the yarn, but I doubled it anyway... which probablly means I didn't buy enough. I'm using cascade 220 in hot pink and navy blue for the bottom, and I *think* have have enough "other" cascade 220 hot pink and black for the sides. (from an abandoned project).

Jeep_Girl
10-24-2006, 10:25 PM
The part I'm not getting about double knitting is the cast on part - and that isn't on Amy's video. :pout:

suzeeq
10-24-2006, 10:38 PM
The pirate queen's bag pdf didn't open, but I saw the picture. Is it felted or just double knit?

sue

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Sure, it is double knit and then felted.

Lisa, for this pattern you cast on 84 stitches with the main color, and then in the second row, you add the CC. I used navy for my MC, and when I joined the pink ont he second row, I just tied a slip knot and fed the tail of the navy through the slip knit and pulled tight. Then, you just K1 MC, move BOTH yarns to front, P1 with CC, move both yarns to back, and continue. On the second row, you K1 CC, P1MC across.

With this cast on method, you're casting on twice the number of sitches you need, and half are the "front" half, and half are the "back". It was hard for me to wrap my head around it when i first tried double knitting last year, but I pictured it as a pillowcase... the CO edge is the "closed end" of the pillow case, and as you knit you create the double layer.

The only thing is that all the moving back and forth take FOREVERRRRRR. I hold both yarns in my left hand, and pick up only one color at a time.... I put my needle in as if I was trying to "split" a strand of yarn (but actually just splitting the 2 colors).

I think that I might frong what I have and start over.... the doubl eknit fabris is SO thick and since I doubled the yarn (which I didn't think I was supposed to do) this thing is NEVER going to felt.

suzeeq
10-24-2006, 11:36 PM
I played around with double knit years ago to see what it was and if I could do it... yeah, takes forever to grow. Was thinking of it for my bf's sister because she's into all things pirate, but not big on felting or design work, so will pass on the KAL. Carry on!!

sue

Jeep_Girl
10-25-2006, 09:10 AM
thanks for the explanation, hildie! i guess you are right - i just can't grasp the idea in my little brain. i think i'm going to have to try this!

Jessica
10-25-2006, 09:19 AM
That bag is awesome. I want to knit it for my cousin who loves stuff like that. What do I have to do to join a knit along??
I know I have to get some yarn, which involves going to the money tree and shaking the crap out of it. But I really do want to join the knit alone. Let me know.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-25-2006, 05:44 PM
you can do it!!!! :cheering:

Jessica
10-25-2006, 08:19 PM
ok, now that I know Im allowed to do it, I just have to make sure I can actually do it :doh: . I've never double knitted before. I'll have to do some practice stuff with some scrap yarn first. No sense in screwing up perfectly good yarn.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-25-2006, 09:00 PM
anyone can join a knit-along anytime!!! I was cheering on the double knitting :D

Jessica
10-26-2006, 10:02 AM
What colors has everyone else picked out? I cant decide. There are just too many colors.....

taking_back_knitting
10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
I've never doubleknit before and I started this thing so lol. Anyway I am doing black and sky blue my friends two favorite colors. Everyone?

Jessica
10-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Im confused on how the knitting of the bottom of the bag and the straps are knitted and attached. Also, am I making the Icord on a seperate pair of dpn's or on the circ's? I've read through the pattern a million times. Im also confused on how to cast on, how many of one color, how to add the other color. I think it is safe to say Im just plain old confused :whoosh: . Help!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Jessica, just CO using the long tail method in your main color. You'll add the next color on the second row!.

Jessica
10-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I plan on making the bag, but my cousin decided she wanted something different, so Im going to put the booty bag on hold for a bit. The bag she decided on is gonna take me a little while, go figure :shrug:

taking_back_knitting
10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
At least she told you before you started knitting it and got frustrated!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-31-2006, 08:36 PM
poo jessica! :pout:

you can still make it you know.....

How is everyone else doing??? I still have the same 3 rows I did as before! I have yet to rip and redo.

Jessica
10-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Yea, Im glad she told me before, because when she called, I was planing on going to the knitting store later that day. Oh, Im still gonna make the bag because its just too cute not too. Im excited to see everyones finished project though, and learn from everyones mistakes :whistle: