PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back 1986, we missed you!

CarmenIbanez
10-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Okay fine. I'll admit it. I like leggings. AND big sweaters. And I especially like big sweaters with leggings. So there. I won't live in shame anymore. Hello, my name is Andee and I am a child of the 80s.

HELLLOOOOOO Andee! :teehee:

mwedzi
10-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Oh no, big sweaters! As though my boobs don't look tiny enough without being lost in yards and yards of fabric. hey, look, where did her boobs go? :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
10-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Yes, but unlike in 1986, today we have the IPEX bra. The worlds most advanced push up bra!!!!

psammeadred
10-20-2006, 05:31 PM
1980s are back? Nooo!!!!

Psammeadred, who wore tapered-leg jeans until she was 18 in 2001.

CarmenIbanez
10-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Since you are, what, 24 now, I don't think that technically the 80s are back for you. I think the more appropriate thing would be say, LOOK, the 80s are HERE.

:teehee:

CarmenIbanez
10-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Don't mind me, I'm just old and cranky!

:roflhard: :rofl:

orcoastknitter
10-20-2006, 05:57 PM
1986 eeek! I was in high school, I think. The fashion was bad enough, let alone the hair bears! OMG! The aqua net that was used! Please don't bring back the hair :pray:

Jan in CA
10-20-2006, 05:57 PM
I gotta admit that leggings and long sweaters are soooooo comfortable! I don't know if I'd knit something that huge though!

slgn
10-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Oh thank god! I'm not a big fan of 80's fashion but I'd take that again any day over this 70's revival hell we've been living in, bell-bottoms and all.

I had a pair of bell bottoms (hideous plaid ones thank you) the first time around (okay so I was 8-10). I used to cry and cry when they made me put those pants on... especially the time we were taking family photos and my mother insisted that I wear those. So cruel. I have to look at those pants to this day when we look at old pictures. So I say HELLO 80's, Glad you're back!! :hug:

CateKnits
10-20-2006, 07:04 PM
I was born in 1986. :P

Julie
10-20-2006, 07:18 PM
:shock:

humblestumble
10-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I was born in 1986. :P

Ditto, and I'm glad it's gone, no offense to anyone.

gimmesanity
10-20-2006, 08:31 PM
I was 8 in '86....I was still wearing Rainbow Bright underoos and pigtails. ;)

Quiara
10-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Hmmm. 1986 . . . I was in 2nd grade. I don't recall fashion being a high priority. As long as I had my pink cords and my bright red hightops. (High style, I tell ya.) Didn't take long to figure out I'm colorblind. ^_~

Stiney
10-20-2006, 08:52 PM
I was three in 86, and also wearing Rainbow Brite underoos and pigtails.

Hey, can we bring back 80's cartoons and toys, and leave the fashion and (most of) the music behind?

brendajos
10-20-2006, 08:58 PM
and (most of) the music behind?

*gasp!* :thud:

Sara
10-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Oh My God! Bite your tongue!!!!!!!!! :biting: The music was incredible!!

I graduated from high school in 1986.

I need to scan in my prom pictures.

The problem with the return of 80s fashion is that I don't have my 80s body. (It just kinda looks 80 :roll: )

10-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Does anyone remember the 'Poofs'? That big ball of hair you wore on the front of your head?? :roflhard: Oh my god those were all the rage when I was a kid. '86, hmmmm I was...oh 10. Duh. :teehee:

BUT 80's music is still da bomb baby!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I never owned a pair of hightops though...my brothers did. :teehee:

That was also before I knew what hair gel was so my head was a huge frizzball. (I have naturally curly hair) Damn my mother for not helping me look decent. She always said 'oh your hair is so pretty'. :?? Are you kidding me? Frizz everywhere, thank god for hair gel is all I have to say. And they are all documented on my school pictures. :pout:

Mienna
10-20-2006, 09:36 PM
'86 is a good year, it's the year I was born. woowoo! and 80's music is the best. ;)

humblestumble
10-20-2006, 09:50 PM
I was three in 86, and also wearing Rainbow Brite underoos and pigtails.

Hey, can we bring back 80's cartoons and toys, and leave the fashion and (most of) the music behind?

That would be great :) They are trying to bring back the carebears and stuff, but I dont like it all in 3d. I like the good old fashioned drawings.

Jan in CA
10-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Gad I'm old... I was 34 in 1986. :doh: :teehee:

Quiara
10-20-2006, 11:01 PM

You're not "old!" You're classic. ^_~

Jan in CA
10-20-2006, 11:02 PM

:shock: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

craftymom
10-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I graduated high school in 1984. I love the 80's!

gimmesanity
10-21-2006, 12:02 AM

That's right, Jan. If you were wine, you'd be really, really $$$$. :muah:

CateKnits
10-21-2006, 01:46 AM
My mother was 35 in 1986. My dad was 29. HIS mother was 62. :shock: Is it weird that I can't imagine my 82 year old gramma as anything less than 70? :teehee:

Shandeh
10-21-2006, 07:58 AM
I graduated from high school in 82. I HATED the 80's! :ick:

(I did have a spiral perm, though.) :teehee:

HeatherFeather
10-21-2006, 08:11 AM
86 Grad here!!! :)

I was TOO uncool to have the mall hair, but the big sweaters and leggings, yup..and still one of my favorite things to wear...in my dreams!!!..... my arse is just too big now!! lol...

I still have my prom dress!!! :)

Cristy
10-21-2006, 08:30 AM
humm...dh and I were 7 in 86...so we were in first grade. I do look back on the music fondly. My only sibling was 9 years older than me so I was always cool b/c my sister told me what was cool and what wasn't (or at least I thought). I don't remember what year the album came out--probably closer to 1990-- but I remember running out to buy U2"S Joshua Tree album just to make her jealous b/c she'd been waiting for it for months! I loved her old jean jacket that had the adam ant and oingo boingo buttons on it...

I love big sweaters and leggings but I've had to do away w/ the leggins--my legs are my weakest area and I cringe just seeing them in jeans--much less leggings. The big sweater no boobs thing....well...I'm 8 months pregnant...everything I wear looks like a large sock so I guess I can't complain...at least it's comfortable.

mwedzi
10-21-2006, 08:42 AM
I was 8 in '86....I was still wearing Rainbow Bright underoos and pigtails. ;)

Ahh! Me too! And I love Rainbow Brite. And She-Ra (I AM the Princess of Power) and Transformers and Thundercats (don't tell, but I had a huge crush on Lionel. :teehee: ) We are the real children of the 80s (meaning we were just that, children, in the 80s). And speaking of long lost 80s love, I just saw a commercial for the cartoon The Littles that they are bringing back. Ah, Strawberry Shortcake canopy bed and roller skates, Sit n'Spin, Slip 'n Slide, Snoopy Snow Cone machine. Hey, I think I DO miss 1986! where's the nostalgia smiley?

I don't care if big sweaters come into style as long as fitted ones also stay in style. Cuz I'm not knitting those enormous sweaters, but at the same time, I hate to be totally out of fashion.

gimmesanity
10-21-2006, 08:54 AM
So funny you mentioned The Littles - I saw an episode the other day, and I was sooooo happy. I LOVE that cartoon! I didnt know they were bringing it back - very cool!

KellyK
10-21-2006, 09:53 AM
OK - just for y'all.... Im resurrectng the 1987 17-yr old KK photo that I got suckered into posting several months ago....

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/kelly_17.jpg

Featured here is my loverly poodle hair with the flower bangs...LOTS of Aqua Net! And I STILL have (but dont wear) that huge sweater (from The Gap!) that I used to wear with leggings or tapered jeans. It was my favorite. I graduated HS in '88.

:shifty:

ebrperk
10-21-2006, 09:56 AM
I graduated in 1988 too. I remember the eighties and the music was amazing. I also think it brings back memories of when I didn't have to pay bills and buy groceries or change dirty diapers. I love long sweaters and leggings. Woopee for the 80's.

Kirochka
10-21-2006, 10:40 AM
I was 24 in 1986, finishing grad school in May and temping in NYC (down by the Trade Center... :pout: ) until the end of the year, when I moved to Minnesota for my first real job after school...

... and thank GOD, is my opinion, that the 80s are over!!! I wish I could burn every permed-hair big-sweatshirt Jennifer-Beals-Madonna-wannabe picture of me in existence!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Music-wise, some I loved, some I hated... just like every other decade! :shrug:

Jax3303
10-21-2006, 12:54 PM
in 1986 I was 4. Sometimes I'm glad I was too little then to remember much of the 80's now.

jodstr2
10-21-2006, 03:32 PM
:heart: KK!!! :teehee: :muah: :teehee:
I was 15 in 1986. I don't have pics but I can assure you my hair was big and poodly like KK. I'll bite - sr pic taken in the summer of 1988, still big and poodly.

Shandeh
10-21-2006, 04:42 PM
I got married in 1983 and had my first child in 1985. Here I was before my first spiral perm. (That's my oldest in my lap. He's 21 now!)

CarmenIbanez
10-21-2006, 04:53 PM
I :heart: :heart: :heart: it. I was 14 in 1986, a freshman in high school. Like I said before, I was a total child of the 80s and not ashamed to admit it!

In terms of fashion, I think leggings and big sweaters hide a lot of flaws!

gimmesanity
10-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Shandeh, you look soooo much like Molly Ringwald in that pic! You're gawgeous, dahling!!

You guys are cracking me up with your poodle hair-dos. Too funny!

Stiney
10-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Since everyone is doing it...

Me, circa 1986.

Shandeh
10-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Raven, you look so cute! :hug:

Darcy39
10-22-2006, 01:42 AM
I graduated in 1986 this last summer was my twenty year reunion didnt go because I had just had a baby and you want to look fabulous when going to them.lol

Darcy39
10-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Shandeh you look so beautiful in the picture your glowing isnt motherhood wonderful:)

nonny2t
10-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Ok, this is getting really sad! I had to live through mini, micro, maxi, midi skirts etc, elephant leg bell bottoms :help: , weird colors and patterns and the SHAG HAIRCUT, which I had btw! I think the 80's sweater and leggings thing is wonderful looking. There is an exception and that is sticking us fat women in leggings. They insist on making leggings for chubbies and we all look like pork sausages in them! :oops: I do love those long tunic sweaters though!!!!

Faye

Knittens
10-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I was born in 1990 and the only leggings that I remember were the kind with the loop at the bottom of the foot to keep them from riding up. And they were worn with a sweatshirt...Probably something with The Little Mermaid or Aladdin on it.

Angelia
10-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh, Knittens, the dreaded stirrup pants!! :shock:

I miss the 80s!! I love glam rock bands still, and Duran Duran, and INXS, and Culture Club--all that good stuff!! :inlove: :inlove:

I never wore leggings and oversized tops, though I did do the perm and Aqua Net thing to make my hair as huuuge as possible.

brendajos
10-22-2006, 11:02 AM
They insist on making leggings for chubbies and we all look like pork sausages in them!

Can I say how much i do NOT care how they look? I LOVE THEM! they are about the most comfortable thing in the world.

The problem i had with stirrup pants, beyond realizing later they looked odd, was that they always shrunk on me after the first washing and would KILL my arches if i kept them hooked. WHY didn't my mother realize i was tall?...lol

I graduated from high school in 1989 so i feel like i was a troooooo 80s child...lol. I didn't learn to love glam rock and such until college but i do still love it today. I had big hair and could never make it big enough as far as i was concerned and i had one of those asymetric haircuts. not sure how i ever grew that out considering that the right side of my head was about 6 inches longer than the left side.

thankfully...the mullet was never part of my life....lol

CarmenIbanez
10-22-2006, 05:17 PM
The mullet is a CULTURAL phenomenon, NOT an 80s phenomenon! :-)

I also had an asymmetical haircut. And big hair. I am obviously going to have to go find a photo.....

Okay here is my mom and me at graduation. My big hair was hidden a little by the cap, but you can still tell its 80s hair!

mrs desert rain
10-22-2006, 11:31 PM
in '86, i was 10. i had a pink Huffy bike and still dressed up for Easter, complete with white gloves, white patent shoes and a bonnet.

but i guess in south texas, we were still stuck in the 80s in the early 90s -- because i had those "poof" bangs (courtesy of aqua net, the pink-striped variety) until 1992!

Shandeh
10-23-2006, 05:40 AM
Beautiful, Carmen! Oh! And I forgot to compliment Kelly and Jodi!
Aren't we just a lovely bunch of 80's girls? :hug:

Funny thing about the "poofy" bangs. When they were in style, I HATED them. There was a girl I worked with who wore them all the time, and she just looked ridiculous. Her poofy bang stuck up about 6 inches! She looked like a rooster! :shock:

She would constantly tell me that my hair and clothes were out of style. I just ignored her, because I thought her look was crazy!

When we had a group photo taken for the church directory, she stuck out like a sore thumb. :teehee:

HamburgKnitter
10-23-2006, 05:53 AM
Oh, this thread is bringing back some serious memories! Stirrup pants: check. High tops? check. Big sweaters? check.

And remember this '80s fashion statement?: wearing a man's-style suit jacket with a belt around it and the sleeves pushed up to right below the elbow? And lots of bangles! :oops:

mulene
10-23-2006, 07:02 AM
1986; The height of big sweaters, leggings, rags tying hair up, enormous cross pendants, Frilly shirts, new romanticism, men in tights...

Dr & The Medics at number one in the UK with Spirit In The Sky; Simply Red's Holding Back The Years held off Number 1 spot by Spirit In The Sky. Video Cafe's springing up all over the place, to show pop videos where you'd go dine and drink (in your leggings and oversized sweaters or frilly shirts with a big belt wrapped round your hips to joosh it up a bit.

The Space Shuttle disaster.

I was working for a funky small record label and it was back then that I first met my current boss. He was managing a band that we had on the label and I was doing the local radio and press promotion of that band.

I walked into my then bosses office (where he and my current boss were having a meeting) and offered them tea / coffee etc. I made the tea's brought them in and put them down on the desk. To my horror my current boss said "ahh yes that reminds me.. VPL (which is Video Performance Limited - a company for collecting royalties from the showing of promotional videos in earlier mentioned cafes). Yep he'd seen my Visible Panty Line as I'd bent over leaning across the desk to hand my then boss his tea, and it had reminded him to ask about Video Performance Limited. :teehee:

20 years later, I've gotten my revenge on him for that comment ;) I love my current boss to pieces, he is a unique character!

As for wearing leggings and big shirts / sweaters now? Well I'm a lard *** so I've no hope of getting away with such things. I also have huge boobage and as I said to my mother yesterday, "Oh for the days of no boobage so I could wear these gorgeous frilly fronted shirts and for the days of no assage so I could wear them with leggings and these gorgeous little ankle boots with turn over cuffs

*sings* meeeemmmooorriiieesssss......

knitncook
10-23-2006, 09:32 AM
1986 eeek! I was in high school, I think. The fashion was bad enough, let alone the hair bears! OMG! The aqua net that was used! Please don't bring back the hair :pray:

I'll ditto this! No big hair. All that hair spray is why I am sure the ozone is depleting. It's all because of the 80's. I say "let's rebel and progress!" and put jeans back around our waists (not that mine ever did venture south!)

wandawoman3
10-23-2006, 10:45 AM
I finished high school in 85. I remember them well.

Stiney
10-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Yay photos! Everyone's so pretty! Thanks Shandeh, but it's hard to be ugly when you're that little.

Eek, stirrup pants! I definitely wore them when I was a little kid, but then flash forward to 1996, Christmas. I'm 13. Fashion is just getting out of the horribleness of the early 90's and moving into the Abercrombie & Fitch look. Dawson's Creek is about to come on the air, etc.

What does my grandma give me for Christmas? A banana yellow outfit, complete with stirrup pants, and an oversized shirt with horizontal ribbing. I nearly DIED. Luckily, it was Nordstrom's brand and they gave me full credit for it when I returned it. But it was horrible. She had tried to give it to my aunt a few years before (I found this out WAY later) and my aunt said No way!

janelanespaintbrush
10-23-2006, 11:23 AM
What does my grandma give me for Christmas? A banana yellow outfit, complete with stirrup pants, and an oversized shirt with horizontal ribbing... She had tried to give it to my aunt a few years before (I found this out WAY later) and my aunt said No way!

I would've saved it until the following Christmas and given it to grandma as her gift! Remember that old Cheers episode (now there's an 80s show for you) with the perennially re-gifted Star Trek steak knives?

Stiney
10-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I still don't have the guts to do that.

But I got $97 for it from returning it! :happydance:

CarmenIbanez
10-23-2006, 11:44 AM
There are always going to be bad things about the past. But oh how we tend to remember the good ones, eh?

I don't really like big hair, except for the fact that mine does BIG really well. I have spend the better part of the last 15 years trying to tame my big curlies with a million different products and equipment. Ah for the days when you got out of the shower, put a little gel on your hair, turned upside down and dried it. Voila!

As for sizes, I totally disagree with all of you. A nice looking oversized sweater over leggings looks fabulous on everyone! :-)

mwedzi
10-23-2006, 12:55 PM
In terms of fashion, I think leggings and big sweaters hide a lot of flaws!

sure, if you consider breasts to be flaws! and long sweaters cover up my best feature, the booty, which is my compensation for the tiny boobage. form-fitting sweaters that hit just at the waist are my best friends.

where was that tiny boob smiley? well, can't find it, though I'm sure the more I talk, the more you feel like :violin:
:teehee:

CarmenIbanez
10-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Yes and I use the big boobies to try and deflect from my chubby bootie!

cookworm
10-23-2006, 03:11 PM
I graduated HS in '88.

Me too!!! Everyone remembers "big hair" ("the bigger, the better"), yes, with LOTS of Aquanet, and the big sweaters (in these parts, "shaker" sweaters were big), the leggings and legwarmers and stirrup pants, too. Remember the big neon sweatshirts? Remember the "Frankie Goes to Hollywood" shirts? How about John Hughes teen movies (my sister and I would go to the show to see them all: Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Sixteen Candles), and let's not forget "mullets"! :roflhard: I was more into "underground" music at the time, so I can't comment on the popular stuff (some popular stuff like R.E.M. and The Cure were pretty cool!).

I want to post my prom pix! :teehee:

brendajos
10-23-2006, 03:18 PM
i was at the theatre a few months ago and saw a banana clip/mullet combo.... i was so glad i went to the movies that day...i always can use a chuckle like that!

Frankie says relax!!

jodstr2
10-23-2006, 03:23 PM
in honor of this thread I'm listening to Expose "Point Of No Return". after that will be the Pretty In Pink soundtrack.