PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who scarf...anyone know what I'm talking about?

hedgewick
10-20-2006, 07:19 PM
My husband and I have become fans of the british show "Dr Who". He told me that years ago the Doctor wore a very long scarf. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyone ever made one? Anyone have a pattern and yarn ideas with colors (knitpicks perhaps)? Anyone care...ha ha ha? I know, sound like a big ol' geek but would make a great christmas gift if I can pull it off.

Thanks!

hedgehog
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Yes, i know exactly what you're talking about... it's like a ten foot long scarf.. i've seen blogs with finished products on them...

I bet if you go to google>advanced search>blog search and type in Dr. Who scarf i bet you'll find it.

-hh

janelanespaintbrush
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
If you do a google search, you'll come up with some patterns. There were numerous scarfs over several seasons. Warning, though. If you want to be authentic, it is a very, very, very long garter stitch scarf, so expect to be busy with it for a very long time!

slgn
10-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I just made one of these (S12 version)! Although I haven't woven in the ends yet or added the fringe but that bloody body is done!

You want to go to doctorwhoscarf.com (http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/)

I made mine with KP WOTA (worsted) so it is really, really heavy. DK is better but I like the price and colors available with WOTA. I'll check my notes and post what colors I did (probably can't post until tomorrow afternoon - I don't have a computer at home) but I will really try to get that posted asap!

ETA: It is a lot of mind-numbing garter st. so stake out some time and pick some dvds to watch. I think it took me about 2-3 weeks of knitting here and there for the S12 (longest one)... some weekend days all day some none...

Ingrid
10-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I googled Dr. Who scarf and got a pic of his and there are lots of other variations that people have done. I remember the show.

slgn
10-20-2006, 07:27 PM
the doctorwhoscarf.com site has many, many pictures, a pattern guide for each version (but be careful one pattern I used shows every row and the chart assumes two rows - one garter up and one garter back - as "one" row) and an in-depth essay on color-selection.

ETA: I'm glad I made the S12 scarf but next time I may make a later/shorter one and instead of being authentic maybe only half the width OR using some other yarn instead that's lighter than WOTA (but I like those colors!).

Sara
10-20-2006, 09:17 PM
:cheering: Tom Baker!!!!!!

mks22300
10-20-2006, 11:15 PM
My brother has asked me to make him one of those and I told him that I would, even though I know it's going to be boring! :teehee:
I haven't started collecting the yarn for it yet and am planning to make the shorter version. Maybe he'll get it after Christmas. :D

hedgewick
10-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks so much for all these posts! Looks like a big project for a snail-speed knitter like me. Maybe I'll ask in a round about way if this is something he might like before I go ahead and do it. Wouldn't be too happy if he hever wore it!

janelanespaintbrush
10-21-2006, 07:40 AM
:cheering: Tom Baker!!!!!!

My friend wrote to him back in the day and got a response back. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. Did you happen to see his uh, "cameo" in Robot Chicken?

BTW, Sara... I LIKE CHOCOLATE MILK!!!

That's the best avatar ever! :cheering:

Sara
10-21-2006, 10:36 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

letah75
10-21-2006, 11:53 AM
OMG, I was coming onto the site to post the EXACT same question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slgn
10-21-2006, 07:13 PM
This is what I used from KnitPicks - Wool of the Andes

3 skeins tan
2 fern
2 hyacinth (used about 1-1/2)
2 chestnut (used 1-1/3)
2 mist
2 daffodil (used 1-1/3)
2 ire ore (used 1-2/3)
and I haven't put the tassels on yet. I probably won't have enough to put every color in every tassel like the pattern but I'm not willing to buy a whole new skein just for 8-10 inches of yarn or so!!

Again, the worsted is super heavy - I just liked the price and colors better. DK weight is recommended and I think that would be better (or as I posted above maybe making it half as wide but that's only if you don't care about it being authentic).

It's supposed to be 10-12 inches wide and pattern says CO 60 st. My 60 st. made it like 12.25-12.5 inches so I backed up to 55 st. which turned out to be 11 inches wide (5st./in. so go figure). The shorter width could affect how much yarn I used and therefore my amounts listed above.

If you decide to do it have fun and good luck!

Kirochka
10-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Tom Baker was definitely my favorite Doctor (I wore a long scarf all through high school in homage...!). Someday I will make one of those scarves too!

(But have any of you seen Tom lately... he doesn't look like the Doctor any more!)

Kirochka
10-21-2006, 08:05 PM
P.S. Slgn (am I reading that right?), have you made the Jayne hat? That's also on my list of things to do someday! (Also, have you "met" brownishcoat [Lisa] on this board? Another big Whedon fan!)

hedgewick
10-21-2006, 09:08 PM
LOL! I want to make a Jayne hat for my husband as well! He actuallly requested one. Trying to find appropriate yarn for it that would be machine wash and dry...not an easy task. Any ideas? I hate the idea of using red heart or something like it if I can help it. What about a fairly easy pattern...I'm still kinda new and afraid of dpn so I would love to make one without them. I'll brave them later.

Shavon
10-22-2006, 09:14 AM
I showed the Doctor Who scarf website to my husband and now he is all about me making him one of these scarves! Especially since the scarf is from the Tom Baker era, because it seems as though he is everyone's favorite Doctor. I never watched Dr. Who until recently, when he got me into watching the 2005 and 2006 seasons, and I love it now too (especially the 2nd season Doctor). Of course, my husband kindly reminded me how I had promised to make him a Harry Potter Slytherin scarf many months ago, so he's not going to hold his breath! :doh:

Have you considered using Lionbrand Wool-Ease? It's my absolute favorite worsted weight yarn, and that's what came to my mind when I considered what I might use to make the scarf. I just haven't checked out if they make enough close-matching colors yet.

Kirochka
10-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Hedge, if you do a Google search, lots of people out there have posted Jayne hat patterns and mentioned what they used (I used to have them bookmarked, but my computer crashed and took my bookmarks with it... :roll: ). Pretty cunning, don't you think? :wink:

slgn
10-23-2006, 12:21 PM
P.S. Slgn (am I reading that right?), have you made the Jayne hat? That's also on my list of things to do someday! (Also, have you "met" brownishcoat [Lisa] on this board? Another big Whedon fan!)Yep that's SLGN, you got it right! :thumbsup: It's my initials and confuses most folks. I have made about 3-4 Jayne hats... all for giveaway (some media packs to local journalists when Serenity came out) and shindig-type raffle prizes. They are fun and quick to make! You know you wanna... ;) Yep, I recently PM'd brownishcoat... had to say Nihao-dy! with a name like that! Always glad to meet Browncoats in the Knitting 'Verse!

hedgewick -
There are a few Jayne hat patterns out there. The two most well known ones are: Emisanboo’s on craftster (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19076.20) and dryope's (http://dryope.typepad.com/grove/2006/02/jayne_cobb_hat_.html). A google search will lead you to more as Kirochka said.

I use my own variation of Emisanboo's. I like Brown Sheep Lamb’s Pride worsted (85% wool 15% mohair): Sunburst Gold (yellow/gold), Autumn Harvest (orange), & Spice (red). I double the yarn so it's like bulky weight; for me, one Jayne hat uses approximately 1/2 of gold, 1/3 skein of orange & a mere fraction of red. Lamb's pride isn't machine washable but for this project, color [choices] was more important to me than other factors.

ETA: Emisanboo also sells Jayne Hat kits wearwithstyle (www.wearwithstyle.com)

cookworm
10-23-2006, 09:53 PM
hedgewick, I haven't checked out the Dr. Who scarf site, but I remembered seeing a Dr. Who-type scarf in a knitting book...I want to say maybe it was in Sally Melville's book, "The Knitting Experience: The Knit Stitch" (book one), the "Maximum Scarf"? :shrug: Sorry I don't remember exactly. While you may not need a pattern per se, maybe this would help?

hapagirl
11-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Have you considered using Lionbrand Wool-Ease? It's my absolute favorite worsted weight yarn, and that's what came to my mind when I considered what I might use to make the scarf. I just haven't checked out if they make enough close-matching colors yet.

I'm using Wool-Ease on my HP SS Gryffindor scarf. I really like it!

Limey
11-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Tom Baker was my all-time favourite Dr. - it's true that he's got a little older and put on a bit of weight (it happens, believe me, it happens) but he still has that wonderful, rich voice that I could listen to all day- nobody would believe he's a Scouser!

Whatever scarf you decided to make, have loads of fun!

All the Best
Limey