PDA

View Full Version : Help! lost afghan pattern

jenpen400
10-20-2006, 11:56 PM
I am looking for an afghan pattern. When I was about 8 my neighbors mother who was from Ireland taught me to knit. Well it’s been 30 years and I have forgotten the pattern. She referred to it as, “the afghan stitch”. All I remember is it was in panels about a foot wide, reversible, had two columns of cabling and was sort of wavy. I’ve looked all over the web and haven’t had any luck I’m obsessed with finding this pattern. It was quick and beautiful. Help! I’ve even looked our up old neighbors phone number but can’t think of a tactful way to call and ask for the pattern. Gee it’s been thirty years how are you doing? Oh by the way can I have your mom’s afghan pattern?

Thanks
jennifer

suzeeq
10-21-2006, 12:07 AM
There are all sorts of afghan pattern stitches out there. Look at stitch pattern books and you may find the cable pattern you remember.

sue

gardenmommy
10-21-2006, 10:08 AM
In my 1988 Boye "I Taught Myself Knitting" book, there is a pattern for a "Speedy Fisherman Afghan" that is three strands held together (says you need 86 ounces of worsted weight yarn), uses size 15 and 17 needles, and is basically seven panels of a left-slanting cable, with reverse stockinette and garter stitch edges to each panel, which are then seamed together, a garter stitch border added, and then tassels/fringe. It's not a "sampler" type of fisherman's afghan with lots of different types of stitches. PM me if you would like me to send you a copy.

Actual "afghan stitch" is also known as Tunisian crochet, and involves a hook with a stopper at the end, kind of like a flex knitting needle.

suzeeq
10-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Actual "afghan stitch" is also known as Tunisian crochet, and involves a hook with a stopper at the end, kind of like a flex knitting needle.

That's right; I was too tired to remember that last night. But I don't think there's cable patterns in it.

sue

jenpen400
10-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks, for looking I might try the library. This pattern must be documented some where. Wish me luck!
jennifer

Denise in Michigan
10-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Iíve even looked our up old neighbors phone number but canít think of a tactful way to call and ask for the pattern. Gee itís been thirty years how are you doing? Oh by the way can I have your momís afghan pattern?

If I was your old neighbor and found out that someone treasured an afghan my Mom taught her to knit 30 years ago, I'd be thrilled! Remember, you'll be speaking to the child of a crafter who may be a crafter themselves! Make the call! Focus the call on the afghan and a little reminisence about their Mom teaching you to knit! You will make their day!

mulene
10-26-2006, 12:23 PM
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/blgsafghanst.htm

I found that on afghan stitch - you probably already found that in your search but I thought I'd post it anyway!

jenpen400
11-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the encoragement. I sent a letter to my old neigbor and with any luck I should get the pattern. I'll let you know if I hear from her. I dusted off my knittng needles and picked up some yarn to play with.
Thanks again
jennifer