PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cookie recipe

HeatherFeather
10-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Ok, since yall did such a great job in getting the Amish bread recipe...

I need a sugar cookie recipe. The kind for cut out cookies. I'd like something on the not so terribly sweet side, because of the frosting we'll put on thim. Something more on the soft side, rather than the crisp side...

it stinks sometimes having these memories from eons ago, and not be able to find the "right" thing.

Vendie
10-21-2006, 08:48 AM
sorry, I cheat and buy the log of sugar cookie dough from the grocery store. Works pretty well - I get the softer texture, they're not too sweet, and they take icing well. I love to bake, but I'll take any help I can get if I'm more interested in icing the final product. :shifty:

knit-errant
10-21-2006, 08:49 AM
This isn't the type of sugar cookie most people expect, but it's one I grew up on. It isn't too sweet -- but the nutmeg in them makes them interesting; we would always frost them with a basic buttercream frosting.

Farm Journal Christmas Cookies
1 1/4 c softened butter/margarine
2 c granulated sugar
2 eggs
5 c flour
1 t salt
4 t baking powder
1 t ground nutmeg
1/2 c milk, 2%?

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, beat til fluffy.

Stir together dry ingredients. Add alternately w/ milk to creamed mixture. If dough is sticky add flour to handle.

Refrigerate dough 5 hours to overinght. Roll out on floured waxed paper to 1/4" thickness. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters or an inverted glass.

Bake cookies on ungreased baking sheet @ 375 for about 8 minutes, til brown around edges. cool on cookie racks.

Julie
10-21-2006, 09:07 AM
My absolute favorite, soooo simple and yummy:

No-Chill Cutout Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar; add egg & vanilla. Sift flour and baking powder together then gradually add to butter mixture and blend well. Roll to 1/8" or 1/4" thickness. Bake for 6 minutes -- they should not brown. Cool and decorate. :D

HeatherFeather
10-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Can't WAIT to try them both!!!!!!! :)

gardenmommy
10-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Isn't that the best part...the taste testing! :rofl:

mks22300
10-21-2006, 10:44 AM
This isn't the type of sugar cookie most people expect, but it's one I grew up on. It isn't too sweet -- but the nutmeg in them makes them interesting; we would always frost them with a basic buttercream frosting.

Farm Journal Christmas Cookies
1 1/4 c softened butter/margarine
2 c granulated sugar
2 eggs
5 c flour
1 t salt
4 t baking powder
1 t ground nutmeg
1/2 c milk, 2%?

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, beat til fluffy.

Stir together dry ingredients. Add alternately w/ milk to creamed mixture. If dough is sticky add flour to handle.

Refrigerate dough 5 hours to overinght. Roll out on floured waxed paper to 1/4" thickness. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters or an inverted glass.

Bake cookies on ungreased baking sheet @ 375 for about 8 minutes, til brown around edges. cool on cookie racks.

This is pretty much exactly like the recipe I use! But instead of the milk, I use buttermilk or you could use sour cream. I got it from my mom who got it from her grandmother. :D

knit-errant
10-21-2006, 11:16 AM
This is pretty much exactly like the recipe I use! But instead of the milk, I use buttermilk or you could use sour cream. I got it from my mom who got it from her grandmother. :D

How cool! I haven't tried buttermilk or sour cream in them though; may just have to do that. Come to think of it, it's supposed to rain here all weekend... I may just have a project now! :)

kellyh57
10-21-2006, 04:49 PM
This (http://www.kitchengifts.com/nofailsugarcookies.html) one is a favorite among cake/cookie decorators since it doesn't spread much. It's pretty good.

I found a few on allrecipes.com that I really like too. One of them has Evelyn in the name of the recipe, but I can't remember what it is exactly.

Edit: Oops. It's Minnie. Evelyn was the one I didn't like! Grandma Minnie is the one I like! Here it is! (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandma-minnies-old-fashioned-sugar-cookies/detail.aspx)

Kelly

HeatherFeather
10-21-2006, 09:19 PM
3 hours and a sugar headache later!!! We are DONE. :) YUMMMMMYYYYYYY they were SOOO good!!! :)

The frosting I just winged...10x sugar, stick of melted butter, smidge of vanilla, and enough milk to make it the consistancy I wanted!!!

Thanks so very very much for the recipes!!! :) I've wanted to do this with my kids for a VERY long time. Even got my dad involved!!! (he's lost his job, and moved in with us a month ago....sigh) I want HAPPY memories for the time that he's here.

nonny2t
10-22-2006, 08:29 AM
I too grew up on the nutmeg style cookie, but I hated Christmas sugar cookies so when I became an adult I told my two kids, "Listen, mom hates to do these darn things. I hated them when I was a kid and I am not fond of them now. Have fun this one time frosting them because I ain't a makin' 'em again." I never have but my children, who are 29 and 33 now beg for my Kieflies, which are twice as hard to make, and three times the cost. That'll teach me! :roflhard: :oops:
Faye

vlsrn
10-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey fibegirl,

Love those socks. wheredja get the patter?

What yarn it it?

:cheering:

Sue Madelin
10-22-2006, 09:55 AM
my children, who are 29 and 33 now beg for my Kieflies

What are those????

gardenmommy
10-22-2006, 10:25 AM
So what's the verdict? I'm sure it's like picking your favorite child, you love them all for different reasons. ;)

nonny2t
10-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Sue: You haven't lived until you've had a kieflie! They are a Hungarian crescent shaped filled cookie. I am enclosing my secret recipe to the millions who long to have it! :rofl: They take a long time to make, have loads of bad, but yummy stuff in them but are to die for.

(do not cut corners with these cookies ladies. Buy great ingredients or don't make them. My sister makes them with margarine, lemon juice and pecans and they are nasty. The true Kieflie is made exactly like the recipe below. I was given it by a little old Hungarian lady years ago. If you are up north and find them in farmer's markets etc, you will find they charge upwards of $8-15 a dozen for these. They are more to an adult taste, but my children have loved them for years and beg me to make and ship them to them for Christmas every year!)

Kieflies

Dough/Cookie
6 Cups sifted flour
1 lb REAL butter (do not use margarine in these)
1/2 pint sour cream
zest or ground rind of one lemon
12 egg yolks

Filling:
12 egg whites
1 lbs powdered sugar
1 1/2 lbs ground walnuts
1 teaspon REAL vanilla (you can use imitation but the good stuff is better)

Mix flour and COLD butter like you would for pie dough, ie into crumbly mix resembling corn meal, add sour cream, lemon rind and egg yolks mixing well. You will not be able to get all the butter totally mixed in. Tiny pieces of solid butter in the dough is ok. I used my hands to mix the dough up because of the warmth of my hands helping to soften the butter and is it mixed. Roll into walnut sized balls, place on parchment or waxed paper on cookie sheets and refrigerate several hours or overnight is best. You can layer the balls onto one sheet if you separate them with wax or parchment paper to keep them from sticking together.

When you are ready to assemble cookies, make filling.
Beat egg whites until stiff, add sugar, ground walnuts, vanilla and mix. Take a few balls at a time out of the refrigerator as you don't want these to get soft. Roll into a paper thin circle (the thinner the better the cookie) use small amount of flour to keep from sticking, but pat circle between your hands to remove all of it before filling or they will get tough when baked (be prepared gals this is tough going with the hard balls I usually use my rolling pin to squash the ball flat before rolling) then fill with a teaspoon of the walnut filling, roll up and form into a crescent shape. Lay on ungreased cookie sheet, bake at 350 around 10 minutes until just the edges are tan. THESE COOKIES ARE NOT TO GET BROWN OR THEY WILL BE RUINED. Just the edges should start to turn brown. Cool then roll in powdered sugar. This makes about 10 dozen cookies. They freeze well if stacked between layers of waxed paper in an air tight container. DO NOT roll in powdered sugar until ready to serve if you are freezing them.

I hope you enjoy these. They truly are the best cookie I have ever had.

Faye

Sue Madelin
10-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Wow - they sound yummy!

Now I wonder if I can persuade my mum to make them for me? :teehee: