PDA

View Full Version : Help on Armwarmer pattern

NakedPancakes
10-21-2006, 02:46 PM
I couldn't much find a pattern I did like, so I figured I'd just make up my own.

I want a tube for my hand and fingers, then a seperate hole for my thumb.
I can't figure out how to do the hole, so I figured I'd come to KH for..Help..

Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks. =)

knitqueen
10-21-2006, 02:52 PM
You could use this pattern (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTfetching.html) as a starting point. It is just a basic tube (in a fancy looking stitch pattern, in this case) with a simple hole for the thumb, no thumb gusset or anything.

NakedPancakes
10-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. =)

I'm just looking for a hole to put in though, and not like a small seperate tube for my thumb.

gardenmommy
10-21-2006, 04:06 PM
You could knit a rectangle fold it over, seam up a length (2/3 maybe) to the point where your thumb would go, then leave a gap and seam it up the rest of the way that would be the sem for the rest of the side of your hand.

Or if you want to knit in the round once you make your tube long enough up to your thumb, knit it flat for enough rows for your thumb to fit (I'd guess an inch or so) then rejoin the circle and go back to knitting it in the round for the rest of your hand. You'll have to remember to "reverse" what ever you were knitting because you will have a wrong side for a few rows, so if you were doing your tube in stockinette, you'll need to purl for a few rows while you're doing it flat. You could also do this from the top (knuckles) down too, you'd just make the thumb hole sooner than from the wrist-up.

There may also be a way to make a vertical "buttonhole" in the round but I'm not sure how to do that off the top of my head.

Mienna
10-21-2006, 09:57 PM
This pattern says to knit a tube, and then when you get to where you want the them you stop knitting in the round and knit it like a flat piece instead. I think it'd be pretty simple.

I can't seem to get blogger to load right now, but here (http://chartreuseknits.blogspot.com/2005/09/dragon-scale-gauntlet-pattern.html)'s the pattern.