PDA

View Full Version : Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy

ccorces1
10-21-2006, 04:29 PM
I think women everywhere should watch Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy this Monday night, I donít know many people who havenít had their lives touched by breast cancer in some form or another and this movie is a great way to support the fight against such a terrible sickness

rebecca
10-21-2006, 09:25 PM
I have it marked on my dvr and, it just so happens I will be getting the girls smashed on Thursday and I will be wearing lipstick, a deep pink :wink:

ccorces1
10-22-2006, 02:23 AM
ha ha! well i hope you have a good time, the movie should be extremely well done and will make for a memorable night with good friends!

nonny2t
10-22-2006, 07:41 AM
I agree, but one of the things that anger my husband and I is that the number one killer of women is NOT breast cancer but heart disease and I think the American Heart Association is dropping the ball with regards to advertising Women's heart health. Breast cancer is a vicious and ugly disease, but heart disease is the silent killer and I wish more $$$$ would go to spreading the word about it as well. Where is all the hype for Women's Heart month? Nada!

Hallegold
10-22-2006, 02:08 PM
And the number one cancer killer of women is lung cancer, followed closely by colon cancer.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful that there is so much advertisement for breast cancer--pushing women toward mammograms and monthly self exams. However, I personally wish there was more hype for lung cancer and heart disease.

knittingdoula
10-23-2006, 01:57 PM
THANK YOU to the two previous posters who posted regarding heart disease and other killers of women.

My mother had breast cancer, so of course I'm really glad to see awareness out there. And I love seeing mammograms and self-breast exams pushed as well. (Though it drives me nuts that so many sources omit nursing your baby for an extended period of time as a way to help prevent breast cancer, which is well supported in the research literature. Too "controversial". :grrr: )

Breast cancer activists, back in the 80's and 90's, took their cue from AIDS activists, in terms of politicizing their health campaigns. So because of that, and frankly, because I think it's partially a matter of breasts being an errogenous part of our body, breast cancer got tons of attention. Meanwhile, heart disease, high blood pressure and other forms of disease pretty much got kicked to the curb, as others have pointed out. Breast cancer campaign activists have rightly pointed out that tons of awareness needed to be raised, and they're right. But I think it's been at a high cost to other campaigns.

Also, more emphasis needs to be put on whole health of every woman. I find that we're getting parsed into PARTS for these campaigns. Our hearts, our breasts, our colons, etc. Well, what about more emphasis on nutrition, mental health and exercise in general? Whole health is not simply being cancer free.

Cristy
10-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Amen knitting doula and thanks for the plug for breast-feeding...I loved nursing my first child and I'm excited about nursing the next (it's getting close...). I've looked into the literature abour breast feeding as a form of breast cancer prevention and often wonder why folks don't publicize it more... I wish the world would start looking at breasts for their intended purpose instead of as playthings for people w/ small minds... (I mean, you can still play with them if you like...but put them to good use to!!! :wink: )

Georgiasmama
10-24-2006, 02:01 PM
I watched this last night. and I had to turn it off a few times but forced myself to watch it. tears almost the whole movie. My aunt passed in April from Breast cancer.

The sad thing is that they always tell you that breast cancer is just a lump. its not. and Many women dont know that. there have been a few news cast about Inflammatory Breast cancer but not enough. its a rare form of Breast cancer. and the survial rate is very limited because it is not a lump.

One or more of the following are Typical Symptoms of IBC:

Swelling, usually sudden, sometimes a cup size in a few days

Itching

Pink, red, or dark colored area (called erythema) sometimes with texture similar to the skin of an orange (called peau d'orange)

Ridges and thickened areas of the skin

What appears to be a bruise that does not go away

Nipple retraction

Nipple discharge, may or may not be bloody

Breast is warm to the touch

Breast pain (from a constant ache to stabbing pains)

Change in color and texture of the areola

These Symptoms May Be Present in Benign Breast Disorders. See your doctor if you have any of these symptoms

that was pulled from http://www.ibcresearch.org/

Georgiasmama
10-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I also thing that there should be more awareness for other parts of the body that are killers for us women. BUT, what a better way to do it to start something yourself. Get the word out. do some research and print up some facts send mass emails. Spam the women you know with the facts.

We can't just sit around and say there isn't enough when we ourselves could be help with the awareness! Right?

ccorces1
10-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Georgiasmama, you are absolutely right on the topic of Inflammatory Breast Cancer - thank you for the information. What did you think of the movie?

It concerns me that, no matter how highly publicized the fight against breast cancer is, many people do not regularly get mammograms or check themselves for any lumps or other irregularities. I watched the movie on Monday night and since then, have been speaking to my friends about it. I thought the movie was especially touching and inspiring, and I will certainly be encouraging my friends to watch when it repeats on Saturday. Hopefully, that person who normally wouldn't get a regular mammogram, will.