PDA

View Full Version : Malabrigo Sleeveless Turtleneck- PATTERN NOW AVAILABLE!

mwedzi
10-22-2006, 10:12 AM
So there I was with 3 skeins of Malabrigo. I thought I might go tank top, but I really wanted to enjoy the feel of this yarn on my neck, so I decided to go sleeveless turtleneck. I looked at the general construction of one from Vogue On the Go! Weekend Knits, but it was a little boring. So I swatched to find out my gauge, added some basic cables on the front and back, and used a lace pattern from Stitchionary. This is what I came up with. It's got some flaws that I think I know how to correct for next time, but overall I'm really happy with it.

ETA: The pattern is available for download now at http://knitensity.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-patterns.html I know, I know, the picture makes me seem so self-centered *gazing into distance with soft eyes* :rofl: I was ready to chop off my head, but the photographer hates headless photos.

gardenmommy
10-22-2006, 10:15 AM
:notworthy: :thud:

Stunning! I bet you can sell that pattern and make a bunch of pretty pennies!

Ingrid
10-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Stunning!! It looks wonderful on you, too. Great job! :cheering: :cheering:

PinkRoses
10-22-2006, 10:17 AM
That's beautiful! :cheering:

blueeyes28
10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
I am dyeing to make a sweater from malabrigo but I can't afford it right now maybe I could do something like that it is so pretty!! :heart:

Vendie
10-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I love how the lace pattern mimics the cable pattern. Very pretty. mmmmmm....malabrigo :teehee:

mwedzi
10-22-2006, 10:30 AM
:notworthy: :thud:

Stunning! I bet you can sell that pattern and make a bunch of pretty pennies!

you think so? actually, i have the pattern as i wrote it down as I was going along. as i said, there are a couple of things i would change, not decrease as much for the waist shaping and make the cables slightly looser. but it's possible for me to write it up today. hmm. maybe i will!

thanks you guys. :muah:

Andrea
10-22-2006, 10:56 AM
That is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and I would buy that pattern in a heartbeat. PLEASE write it up!!

I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: it!

jamadian75
10-22-2006, 11:36 AM
:inlove:

This looks fantastic - DEFINITELY calls for a write-up! You are a great designer!

nadja la claire
10-22-2006, 01:12 PM
:notworthy: :cheering: OMG that is AMAZING!!!! :notworthy: :cheering: Flaws? What flaws :?? It's just BEA-U-TI-FUL :heart: :inlove:

Nadja xxx

ae
10-22-2006, 01:51 PM
ditto on what everyone else said. it's just amazing. and that's such a nice shade of blue!

Jan in CA
10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Wow!!! That is gorgeous!! :notworthy:

mks22300
10-22-2006, 05:46 PM
That is beautiful!!! :heart: :heart:

psammeadred
10-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Wow, you should be designing knits for a living! That is one fabulous sweater!

craftymom
10-22-2006, 07:49 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous!

kristinw
10-22-2006, 09:06 PM
WOW! What a great job you did!!

Amber
10-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow, you should be designing knits for a living! That is one fabulous sweater!

I second that!! :notworthy: Beautiful!

Mo0nAngel
10-22-2006, 10:25 PM
:passedout: :drool: :drool: :drool: this is amazing!!! I loveeee it! great job!! anddddd its malabrigo!! :D :D :D :D

rebecca
10-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! Looks great on you :cheering:

earthchick
10-22-2006, 11:30 PM
:heart: Gorgeous!!

KnittyKitty
10-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Omgoodness! You have mad talent! That is simply beautiful! I love to front lace work and most importantly, it looks great on you! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Freyja
10-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Beautiful!!!!!
You did a great job :thumbsup:

Old Knitter
10-23-2006, 08:10 AM
You did a wonderful job....I am so pattern reliant. When I see what other folks can "see" and design themselves I am so impressed.

mwedzi
10-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Oh, you guys are too much! :hug: Thank you for the praise, it makes me feel really good. I hadn't thought it was *that* good. I wonder if you guys are just pulling my leg to make me feel good. If so, I still appreciate it. :teehee: I can hardly believe somebody would want to buy a pattern I wrote, esp with that recent Magknits disappointment.

I spent a good deal of yesterday writing up the pattern. I just have to put in the lace instructions from Stitchionary and draw the schematic. I think I'll also go ahead and make a chart and scan it in, since I know lots of people like using charts. Also want to go over the math since I added instructions for up to 43" bust.

You did a wonderful job....I am so pattern reliant. When I see what other folks can "see" and design themselves I am so impressed.

Thank you. :) You know, it seems like a lot of people stick very close to patterns and I really wonder why. To be honest, I don't think I have some special knitting design talent or anything, I think I may just be more willing to go ahead and give designing a go. I'm not even super knowledgable or anything cuz I just learned to knit this year. I bet if you tried, you'd surprise yourself. And it feels so cool to let your creativity flow like that.

:hug:

Alice's Restaurant
10-23-2006, 10:54 AM
That's so pretty, and it looks great on you!

kellyjo32
10-23-2006, 12:43 PM
I love it!! That looks great on you!!!

melissaatk
10-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Oh my! Very pretty!

Toast King
10-23-2006, 03:35 PM
WOW! :thud: Great job!

usamacka
10-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Your turtleneck is absolutely stunning! The yarn is gorgeous too! Hip hip Hooray to you!

kemp
10-23-2006, 05:30 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: it!

pauly81
10-23-2006, 10:02 PM
That is so cool I hope to be at that point in my knotting jurney on day

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-23-2006, 10:55 PM
:inlove: I love it!!!!! Submit it to knitty!!! REALLY!!!

I'm so happy I get to meet you on Saturday :cheering:

Shandeh
10-24-2006, 06:45 AM
I love your Malabrigo creation! I just submitted a possible name for the design on your blog. "Divine Mmmmmm"

mwedzi
10-24-2006, 10:11 AM
:inlove: I love it!!!!! Submit it to knitty!!! REALLY!!!

I'm so happy I get to meet you on Saturday :cheering:

Thank you, but I can't submit to Knitty. All these places require you keep your work a secret until they publish it, and I've already shown you all mine. But progress is being made for getting the pattern ready for download. I just wrote a chart for people who like to work with charts instead of written out instructions. It looks funny, because I actually wrote it out by hand, but it will get the info across. Just have to draw the schematics and scan those in, take better pictures, and then it will be ready.

I'm happy to be meeting you guys Saturday, too. Maybe I'll wear this top!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Oooo really? That stinks! :pout: I feel like we ruined it for you :pout:
Just make another one with slightly different directions! :teehee:

mwedzi
10-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Wow, that took longer than I thought! Setting up Payloadz, dealing with Blogger, taking and editing photos, not to mention actually writing it up, doing the math for sizes, and hand-drawing a chart for people who like charts. Whew! But it's finally done and available for download on my blog at the link below. Thanks for the encouragement everybody. :hug:

http://knitensity.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-patterns.html

mwedzi
10-27-2006, 03:18 PM
I love your Malabrigo creation! I just submitted a possible name for the design on your blog. "Divine Mmmmmm"

Oh, yeah, Shandeh, I meant to tell you that I liked your name, but wasn't sure how easy it would be to google with the indeterminate number of m's. "Divine Mmmmm" really is a very accurate name, though. :)

Andrea
10-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Quick question, is it a PDF form because my Adobe thingie doesn't like me :pout:

jamadian75
10-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Thank you. :) You know, it seems like a lot of people stick very close to patterns and I really wonder why. To be honest, I don't think I have some special knitting design talent or anything, I think I may just be more willing to go ahead and give designing a go. I'm not even super knowledgable or anything cuz I just learned to knit this year. I bet if you tried, you'd surprise yourself. And it feels so cool to let your creativity flow like that.

:hug:

You have a good spirit Nikki :heart: ...those are very encouraging words! And not to worry on the compliments...there are experienced knitters and newbie knitters out here, but I think they are all honest when they tell you that you have SKILLZ! :teehee:

It's GREAT that you're sharing this pattern and your talents!

mwedzi
10-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Quick question, is it a PDF form because my Adobe thingie doesn't like me :pout:

Hi Andrea. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you yesterday. It was fun! Anywho, yes, it is in pdf form, but if you email me I do have a Word version that I could send you.

mwedzi
10-29-2006, 03:28 PM
[You have a good spirit Nikki :heart: ...those are very encouraging words! And not to worry on the compliments...there are experienced knitters and newbie knitters out here, but I think they are all honest when they tell you that you have SKILLZ! :teehee:

It's GREAT that you're sharing this pattern and your talents!

:hug: :heart:

Andrea
10-30-2006, 10:49 AM

Hi Andrea. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you yesterday. It was fun! Anywho, yes, it is in pdf form, but if you email me I do have a Word version that I could send you.

That would be fantastic!!

I'm sorry I didn't meet you too!!! Next time! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
So there I was with 3 skeins of Malabrigo. I thought I might go tank top, but I really wanted to enjoy the feel of this yarn on my neck, so I decided to go sleeveless turtleneck. I looked at the general construction of one from Vogue On the Go! Weekend Knits, but it was a little boring. So I swatched to find out my gauge, added some basic cables on the front and back, and used a lace pattern from Stitchionary. This is what I came up with. It's got some flaws that I think I know how to correct for next time, but overall I'm really happy with it.

ETA: The pattern is available for download now at http://knitensity.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-patterns.html I know, I know, the picture makes me seem so self-centered *gazing into distance with soft eyes* :rofl: I was ready to chop off my head, but the photographer hates headless photos.

You are beautiful and so is your sweater! WOW! Wonderful work!

laikabear
08-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Art Lady dug this post out of the archives! Mayhaps she is at a tough spot in a pattern and has been taking a break reading old posts? :rofl:

Definitely a gorgeous top though. It is so nice of those of you with design skillz to share patterns with the rest of us.

nonny2t
08-23-2007, 02:09 AM
it looks great

ArtLady1981
08-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Art Lady dug this post out of the archives! Mayhaps she is at a tough spot in a pattern and has been taking a break reading old posts? :rofl:

Definitely a gorgeous top though. It is so nice of those of you with design skillz to share patterns with the rest of us.

Hi'ya! :waving:

No, someone else dug it up! :eyebrow: We are having a Malabrigo conversation in a couple of different threads...and someone with a sharp memory remembered this blue tank top and a yellow pullover by ecb...and posted links to them as examples of how different colors of Malabrigo knit up!

KnittingNat
08-23-2007, 06:41 AM
It's GORGEOUS!:passedout:. As usual - your knitting is absolutely stunning! Never mind it's an old post, it's still stunning!

GinnyG
08-23-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm so glad it got dug up, by WHOEVER!!!! I've bought the download and can't wait to give it a try when my MMMMMMMMM arrives. I've never done a "lace" pattern so I hope it isn't beyond my abilities!

rorygilmore
08-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Wow, the turtleneck looks beautiful on you!

laikabear
08-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi'ya! :waving:

No, someone else dug it up! :eyebrow: We are having a Malabrigo conversation in a couple of different threads...and someone with a sharp memory remembered this blue tank top and a yellow pullover by ecb...and posted links to them as examples of how different colors of Malabrigo knit up!

I would have remembered it, too. Ahhh, that heavenly blue! :eyes: That's my favorite color!!!!

I am aspiring to make fashionable things like Niki... got one top OTN but I have a long way to go before I'll be making anything that complex...:tap:

soobeeoz
08-24-2007, 03:02 AM
Very nice design, and the colour is stunning on you. Well done! :yay:

mwedzi
08-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Hey, where did this post come from? I thought it was long forgotten. Thanks again, you guys.

I'm so glad it got dug up, by WHOEVER!!!! I've bought the download and can't wait to give it a try when my MMMMMMMMM arrives. I've never done a "lace" pattern so I hope it isn't beyond my abilities!

It is not beyond your abilities. Just be sure to keep track of rows and that's it. It's pretty simple, and other than a feather and fan dishcloth and a 2 row lace repeat on a trim of a top, this was my first lacy thing. And of course, I'm just an email away.

Someone else made this, too. I was so excited.
http://saunshine.blogspot.com/2007/03/smore-to-love.html

GinnyG
08-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Hey, where did this post come from? I thought it was long forgotten. Thanks again, you guys.

It is not beyond your abilities. Just be sure to keep track of rows and that's it. It's pretty simple, and other than a feather and fan dishcloth and a 2 row lace repeat on a trim of a top, this was my first lacy thing. And of course, I'm just an email away.

Someone else made this, too. I was so excited.
http://saunshine.blogspot.com/2007/03/smore-to-love.html

THANKS!!!
I've been pouring over the pattern today at work (when I was supposed to be working:whoosh:) wondering if it's doable. Khaki Cables was SUPPOSED to be my next project but this might be a better place to start in order of "complication" :teehee:

dewdrops
08-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Very nice top!! The blue color is beautiful and so is your pic!!:cheering: