PDA

View Full Version : itchy - b@tchy?

cara
10-22-2006, 07:45 PM
My husband, who I love, has been wearing a hat I made for him from Patons SWS. It looks amazing, but he is finding it a tad itchy. (and b!itching about it) He has asked for 100% cotton next.

first of all... I don't think it will be as warm for winter and second of all.. I have never seen it in a 4 or 5 weight.

Can any of you make some suggestions for other yarns? I don't much like knitting with acrylic.. it hurts my fingies. Is merino soft enough that it doesn't itch?

Thanks for the help!

psammeadred
10-22-2006, 07:52 PM
For the ultimate in wool softness, try Mmmmalabrigo. I haven't used it myself, but it's enough to make ~80% of the members here foam at the mouth. Another option is alpaca. There's a fairly inexpensive alpaca blend at Michael's - I think it's called Rumor - that would make a very soft hat.

cara
10-22-2006, 07:55 PM
I have seen the Patons Rumour. it is really nice. I think though that the itch is an allergy perhaps to the wool? or is it just the fibre? I find the SWS very soft, so no complaints on my side.

I live in a small Canadian city and we do have a Micheals about 1 hour drive away. I will have to check next time I am there I guess.

Any such yarn as a 4 or 5 weight cotton though?

Yarnlady
10-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Try washing the cap and using some hair conditioner in the final rinse. It's softened up many stiff, itchy wools I've used.

Dilly
10-22-2006, 08:17 PM
If it's an actual allergy, he would have probably get some sort of rash or hives from it. He probably is just sensitive to the feel of it, which is a normal reaction to wool. Most people who find wool itchy can tolerate alpaca without a problem.

Have you checked the Singer Store downtown (York Street, I think) to see if they have any alternative yarns you could try? I'm trying to remember if they sell Patons or not. :??

Calamintha
10-22-2006, 09:00 PM
You might have better luck with Merino but since he is so sensitive I would knit up a swatch and make him wear it next to his skin for a couple of hours first before sinking the time into making a hat with it.

I have heard people say that alpaca is supposedly hypoallergenic but I made a cowl from some alpaca yarn from Knitpicks and it is definitely itchy. I have seen other people say that they find alpaca yarn itchy also. Part of the problem may be that more alpaca farmers are interbreeding alpacas with llamas to increase their yield. Llama fiber is very rough and coarse. I would follow the same swatch procedure with an alpaca yarn as the Merino yarn.

I don't think cotton would be very warm but maybe better than nothing. You might try Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. It's 80% Pima Cotton/20% Merino Wool. It's a DK weight though (3) but you could use it doubled.

Phretys
10-22-2006, 09:02 PM
If you don't mind sewing, you may be able to make a fleece lining for the hat. I make a lot of hats, but everyone seems to hate wearing wool on their heads because of the itch factor.

Debi

mrs desert rain
10-22-2006, 10:44 PM
If you don't mind sewing, you may be able to make a fleece lining for the hat. I make a lot of hats, but everyone seems to hate wearing wool on their heads because of the itch factor.

Debi

that's what i was thinking. or, see if he's up for wearing an under armour (brand) beanie or skull cap.

cara
10-23-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't mind sewing at all, and was thinking about lining the band around the ears/forehead with fleece but was wondering what that would do to the stretch of the hat.

I will try the cotton fleece, and I could make him a beenie for under his winter hat or just double it up like Calamintha suggested.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Cara