PDA

View Full Version : WIP recycling good will sweaters

feministmama
10-22-2006, 09:21 PM
I want to make some kitty beds for the cats cuz they are shedding like crazy all over the furniture, my bed, the coats, everywhere! THey need a place to sleep where they can happily leave all their hair. So I went to GOodwill and found a coupla 100% wool sweaters and started ripping. I got a pinkish orangy colored one but it turned out to have bad seams so I gave up. I moved onto this blue one. But now I have a feeling it may be super wash. I don't know why but I just have a sneaky suspision. And the black one is thick and itchy so I know its 100%.

mrs desert rain
10-22-2006, 11:05 PM
great idea! i wish we had a goodwill nearby -- though i've noticed folks selling "recycled" wool on ebay...

feministmama
10-23-2006, 12:28 AM
I was thinking of doing that. I don't know how much I would get though. THere's also that esty dot com or whatever is, that place to sell "hand made things" too. We'll see.

Old Knitter
10-23-2006, 08:13 AM
A kitty mat is on my list to do also. I have a lot of left over Lopi I'm hoping to use....kind of itchy but that might help with the shedding problem.

fluffypechey
10-23-2006, 08:54 AM
What a great idea!! With 8 cats here you can never have too many beds. We have a charity shop that sells sweaters for 50 pence each regardless of what they are.

Does it take a lot of patience to rip them out though?

:hug: Sharon

janelanespaintbrush
10-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Maybe you could felt the pink orangey one as is and then cut out pieces to sew a kitty basket (rather than frogging, knitting, and felting). I don't know very much about felting or sewing so I don't know how feasible this is, but it's something I've wondered about.

jamadian75
10-23-2006, 09:09 AM
What a great idea mama!
I did this too and really need to find a good pattern for the yarn. Yards and yards of fiber for $3.49 - can't beat it! :teehee:

mwedzi
10-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I got a men's L Land's End sweater from Salvation Army for this purpose. I've already unraveled one sleeve, but this reminds me that I need to do the rest. It's kind of a pain finding the seams, and mine has hand tied knots in it! Plus it sheds a bunch of fuzz as I'm ripping it out. If I do it all, it will be a lot of yarn, indeed, for $3.

candicane
10-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I also bought wool sweaters from Goodwill. I felted them, then cut and sewed them into bags. I would do the same if making a kitty bed.

candice

Mama Bear
10-24-2006, 12:15 AM
For anything you are going to knit up, do a swatch and see if it felts :)

We recently felted a wool that wasn't very soft and came apart easily. I almost tossed it. When felted it is SOO soft. It's interesting to find out how these different textures of yarn felt.

Mama Bear