PDA

View Full Version : Sock pattern for men (large)

iza
10-23-2006, 10:49 AM
I'd like to knit socks for my brother and he has BIG feet. REALLY big. It's not so much the length (size 12 I think) but the width... does anybody know about a pattern I could use? I was thinking of using Regia 4ply tweed (fingering weight). How much yarn would I need?

Vendie
10-23-2006, 12:05 PM
you might want to look at the book Sensational Knitted Socks - it has patterns for a wide variety of foot sizes and different yarn gauges. So it really provides you with the tools you need to make socks for just about anybody, regardless of what yarn, needles or feet you have available.

Denise in Michigan
10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Here's a great site for creating socks patterns in different sizes. Just plug in your numbers and it does the math for you:
http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/556

She has calculators for cuff down and toe up socks, as well as a yarn estimator. When you're plugging in your numbers, select "Custom" and have handy the foot length and foot circumference (measured at the ball of the foot).

iza
10-23-2006, 03:32 PM
These calculators are just PERFECT! Thanks so much Denise! :cheering: I want to knit the socks as a surprise but I think I can estimate the measurements fairly well. If not... mom will know. :D

Denise in Michigan
10-24-2006, 12:45 PM
You're welcome!