PDA

View Full Version : Good books on spinning and dying

Jessica
10-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey everyone. Im really intrested in learning to spin and dye my own yarn. Can anyone suggest some good books for a beginer or offer some good advice? Thanks!

Jess

Julie
10-24-2006, 11:36 AM
I found Lee Raven's Spin It! to be really helpful.

Also, people absolutely rave about The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook -- it's sock focused, but has lots of great info on dyeing and spinning. Also, Shannon Okey has a new book called Spin to Knit, which is supposed to be excellent. :D

VictoiseC
10-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Hi! (I'm from Michigan...but left years ago)

I have to books out from the library right now on dyeing yarn:

Yarns To Dye For by Kathleen Taylor which is soft cover and has a lot of nice patterns in it. Very basic techniques on dyeing.

And Dyeing to Knit by elaine eskesen which is a big hard cover book and really fabulous. She covers many different techniques including some really fun stuff like polka dots and Jackson Pollack type splotches of dye, it's a great book.

You might want to look at your local library first? I often do that before I buy.

Liliyarn
10-26-2006, 04:20 AM
I second the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook. It's almost like my spinning bible.

ChroniclesofYarnia
10-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Alden Amos' book (I can't recall the title,but it has spinning in it) is AMAZING. It is the spinning bible, and I really hope to own it and quit renewing it at the library some day. lol.