PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone make Waves from Knitpicks about half the width?

Arugula
10-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I love that pattern!!! But my cousin wants a scarf about half that width. Can anyone convert it smaller for me or is it a lost cause? Its so perfect if it was just, well, less blanket and more scarf.

I'd still be using bulky yarn, if that helps....

rebecca
10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
How wide do you want it? you have a 14 st pattern repeat, should you want it to be 31 sts wide, then you would k2, *then repeat the lace pattern twice, k1 Then follow the following 3 rows as stated and repeat these 4 rows until you reach the desired length.
Should you want a 17 st scarf, then just do one pattern stitch repeat on row one, etc.
Is this what you meant?

Arugula
10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
I dont think we are talking about the same pattern lol. The one I want is cabled, I downloaded the free scarf book and it is second to last in it. I dont know if I can link it but I'll try....

Okay, this is weird, I downloaded it literally an hour ago and now when I click the link in the post, knitpicks doesnt find anything. Anyway, here is the link to the post about it...

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19146

I wish I was more familiar with cables, I could do my own math then...

Here are the instructions for anyone feeling adventurous:

Cable Rows:
24-stitch Left Cross Cable:
Slip 12 stitches to cable needle and hold in front, [k2, p2] 3 times, work stitches from
cable needle [k2, p2] 3 times.
24-stitch Right Cross Cable:
Slip 12 stitches to cable needle and hold in back, [k2, p2] 3 times, work stitches from
cable needle [k2, p2] 3 times.
Directions:
Loosely cast on 104 stitches using a cabled cast-on.
Cabled Cast On:
Make a slip knot on left hand needle. Slip right hand needle through loop and pull
yarn through as if to knit and place new loop on left needle. Put right needle tip
between the two stitches on the left needle and pull yarn through as if to knit. Place
new loop on left hand needle. Slip right needle tip between last two stitches on the
left needle, pull yarn through as if to knit and place new loop on left hand needle.
Continue until you have cast on the number of stitches you need.
Rows 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 and 23: Slip 1st stitch as if to purl, p1, k1, p1, *
k2, p2 *, repeat between astericks up to last four stitches, p1, k1, p1, k1.
All Even Rows: Slip 1st stitch as if to purl, p1, k1, p1, * k2, p2 *, repeat between
astericks up to last four stitches, p1, k1, p1, k1.
Row 9: Slip 1st stitch as if to purl, p1, k1, p1, * 24-Stitch Left Cross Cable, [k2, p2] 6
times*, repeat between astericks once more, p1, k1, p1, k1
Row 21: Slip 1st stitch as if to purl, p1, k1, p1, * [k2, p2] 6 times, 24-Stitch Right
Cross Cable *, repeat between astericks once more, p1, k1, p1, k1
Repeat Rows 1 - 24 10 times.
End scarf by knitting extra rows 25 - 29 following pattern of Row 1 and Row 2.
Cast off loosely keeping in pattern.

suzeeq
10-24-2006, 10:31 PM
The same basic instructions apply. The cable pattern has 24 stitches in each repeat (4 times) plus 8 for border stitches. So you would cast on 56 for one half the width or 32 for one that's one fourth. That sizing is if you use the same size needles and yarn as the original; if you use smaller, you may want to CO 56, but it may not be half the width. If you use thicker, casting on 32 would make it wider than 1/4 the original size.

sue