PDA

View Full Version : Vogue Holiday Knitting - Cover Scarf

CarmenIbanez
10-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Okay, did anyone else already start a KAL for this? If so, let me know. If not, I am going to make this scarf! I am starting next week, on my trip back east. I figure it is a simple easy little project for airplane knitting. I am going to use Caron Simply Soft, because I am broke and have already spent $200 on knitting stuff in the last month. :teehee:

Here is the scarf:

CarmenIbanez
10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
I know you're all looking at my post. Come on! You know you wanna join....... :eyebrow:

Stiney
10-24-2006, 03:52 PM
I just wanna know what color you picked, Andee.

sara_jayne
10-24-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm going to knit this scarf, but at this rate I'll be starting it in 2008! :teehee:

ecuzzacrea
10-24-2006, 04:19 PM
It's funny because I just looked at this issue at the library and I need that scarf. :)

First I need to buy the mag and get some yarn though. It might be a while as we just moved and life is out of control right now.

What color are you making?

CarmenIbanez
10-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I know I should have picked something bold and beautiful like the cover, but I picked beige. Hey, what can I say? I want something I can wear with anything. I think it is the toasted almond color of simply soft.

SabrinaJL
10-24-2006, 06:40 PM
I want to knit this scarf soooo bad. But with 2 blankets that need to be done by x-mas, I really shouldn't start it. But honestly, that doesn't mean I wont.

rebecca
10-24-2006, 06:43 PM
I plan on knitting it, ain't no doubt! But, I don't know when, I hope to cast on for a shawl after knitting "A Touch of Whimsy" scarf and fingerless gloves for me (all these are being done during [url=http://lacevember.blogspot.com/]Lacevember[/url), and that will be after I finish Rusted Root that I am now knitting. Alas, I have no idea when I will knit it, it is gorgeous, isn't it?! The lady who designed it is a member of the knitters review forum, I read about how excited she is, very cool!

mrs desert rain
10-24-2006, 08:58 PM
well, heck. i'm in. i have to buy a bundle for the tie-front cardigan (p. 71 vogue knitting holiday), so i may as well buy for this, too. :teehee:

and, i'm going for red!

nadja la claire
10-25-2006, 11:26 AM
OOOO :cheering: hellokitty and I are going to knit this scarf. It's so pretty :heart: :inlove: I've never done a KAL and I'm just a slut when it comes to sticking to one project but I'm going to give monogomy a try. :teehee:

Nadja xxx

CarmenIbanez
10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
monogamy, shmonogamy!

nadja la claire
10-25-2006, 06:04 PM
I just got the pattern and WOW that's alot of yarn for a scarf. I was going to do it in a combination of Chili Pepper red Suri Dreams and and Wool Ease Cranberry but I don't think I've got enough. O GOD I guess......I'm.....going....to......have......to.. ...order......more......yarn.....but......said.... .I......wouldn't but.....AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!!! :hair: :hair: :hair: Oh shoot I'm just too weak.

Nadja xxx

hellokitty165
10-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I just got the pattern and WOW that's alot of yarn for a scarf. I was going to do it in a combination of Chili Pepper red Suri Dreams and and Wool Ease Cranberry but I don't think I've got enough. O GOD I guess......I'm.....going....to......have......to.. ...order......more......yarn.....but......said.... .I......wouldn't but.....AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!!! :hair: :hair: :hair: Oh shoot I'm just too weak.

Nadja xxx

calm down..... i just pm u....

Momma_Jo
10-26-2006, 01:28 PM
I think it would be TOTALLY cool to do it in 2 different colors. Or heck, even 6 different colors!

When I finally get around to knitting it, I think I'll take several shades of the same color (say, ranging from baby blue to deep navy).

Ah, can't wait! :inlove:

ecuzzacrea
10-26-2006, 04:03 PM
What yarn are you all using?

I've got the pattern, but no yarn yet. =)

mrs desert rain
10-26-2006, 04:09 PM

I'm using Karabella Aurora 8. I had planned on using the "real red" color featured in the magazine, but... well, in my attempt to be more "colorful," I chickened out. So, I'm making mine in black.

On another note, I'm making the same scarf in the same brand of yarn for my DH... but his will have two colors: orange and blue, a la the New York Islanders hockey team :teehee:

Petals
10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
It's on my list!!

hellokitty165
10-26-2006, 04:43 PM

I've got the pattern, but no yarn yet. =)

I might use microspun, crochet fashion cotton, alpaca... i have not decided yet ...

CarmenIbanez
10-26-2006, 09:39 PM
I think it would be TOTALLY cool to do it in 2 different colors. Or heck, even 6 different colors!

When I finally get around to knitting it, I think I'll take several shades of the same color (say, ranging from baby blue to deep navy).

That is actually a REALLY REALLY REALLY good idea!

Momma_Jo
10-28-2006, 05:47 PM

That is actually a REALLY REALLY REALLY good idea!

:muah: LOL

CarmenIbanez
10-29-2006, 01:55 AM
Now I'm torn. Colors colors colors. Now I thinking maybe I should do multiple browns.

mrs desert rain
10-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Multiple browns would be super cool. Kinda like a layered chocolate cake... a little milk chocolate, a little dark chocolate... YUM! :teehee:

mwedzi
11-03-2006, 11:21 AM

I was just going to ask if anyone had thought of doing it in more than one color. I think if I did it, I would. But I think I don't have time for this scarf, as lovely as it is.

dustinac
11-06-2006, 02:00 PM
I think I'm in :rofl: I was going to do the other scarf but I think I'll do this one instead...

I'm thinking black and red caron simply soft for mine... just gotta get the black this coming weekend... :teehee:

dustinac
11-11-2006, 03:15 PM
I got my black yarn today... getting ready to go join dh on the couch and finish the WVU game and try to get it going... :cheering:

nadja la claire
11-11-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm going to do it in Cascade 220 (because that's what I have) in a very Christmasy green and red and give it to someone, probably my mom, as a gift.

Nadja xxx

dustinac
11-12-2006, 09:22 AM
I got it started last night during football.. I'm working two of the strands at once :teehee: trying to see if that goes faster... I am remebering though how I get bored with I-cord... and hope I get this finished :rofl:

mrspotter-tru
11-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Can somebody please help me. I had this magazine, and got my yarn (Red Heart Soft Yarn) and then a mysterious elf, knitting gnome, or possibly my husband, took the magazine, and I don't want to spend 6.00 on another magazine just for that one pattern. Can anyone send it to me, if it is not too much bother?

CarmenIbanez
11-13-2006, 06:48 PM
I got it started last night during football.. I'm working two of the strands at once :teehee: trying to see if that goes faster... I am remebering though how I get bored with I-cord... and hope I get this finished :rofl:

How is the two strands at once thing going?

dustinac
11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I haven't been able to work on the scarf since Sunday...but it was working out fine.. really left me thinking why didn't I try 3??? :rofl:

CarmenIbanez
11-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Or six?

mrspotter-tru
11-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Okay, I found it. Going to get in on the needles, and see if I can Magic Loop it. I am DPNS impaired.

CarmenIbanez
11-14-2006, 07:23 PM
I have to finish seaming my sweater so I can start a new project! Namely, this one!

AmandaC
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
I am going to do this scarf ... Angelia kindly sent my sister the magazine and i've made a copy of the pattern.

I'm wondering if I have enough Rowan Polar in Chocolate in my stash but after seeing everyones idea's on the two colours, I realised I also have lots of Rowan Polar in Stone ... so brown & beige here I come .....

What are you planning to do with the two colours? are you knitting the garter strip in one colour or two? are you going to have one end one colour and the other end the other? and are you just going to split the 6 strands equally or is there another formula so that it looks nice when weaved together???

I think I may have to fiddle around with the weaving diagram on the computer and colour it in etc to see which strands need to be which colour ... :thinking:

dustinac
11-15-2006, 10:46 AM
I wasn't sure how to do the garter band either so I did it in red :?? I might do the other black.. that would prolly work.. and I didn't want it to be 2" either :rofl: ... My first strand is red, the 2nd black, and thats as far as I've gotten :rofl: I'm gonna draw out the little guide they have and color it in and see which should go where.. from looking at the guide it seems like I should be ok keeping red the odd #s and black the even #...

your prolly could do the 6 cords at once.. I thought I'd give it a try with the first 2.. wish I had done at least 3 now... all my circs are filled and I don't think all 6 cords would fit on DPNs...

I really need to finish other projects to get my Denise set all back in its case..instead of plotting to get the options so I can have even more projects on needles :doh:

CarmenIbanez
11-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Who knew that I would come up with a good excuse to buy more options. I love the KP options. I need to add second pairs of my common sizes like 8, 7, 6 and 10.5.

I am going to do it in simply soft brites watermelon. It is really a bright pink, but I already have the yarn and the beige I was going to do is being used for a sweater, so *sigh* pink it is.

AmandaC
11-16-2006, 05:14 AM
Right - I'm not doing this in the Rowan Polar because it is too thick and heavy ... I would be doing weight-training everytime I wore the scarf I think! :teehee:

So I have some black & cream yarn which is really soft (cashmere, extra fine merino and silk) and I am going to use that instead because I don't have enough money at the moment to go and buy new stash.

OK people - for those of you doing 2 colours .... see my experiment below - I personally wouldn't do colour 1 / colour 2 / colour 1 / colour 2 / colour 1 / colour 2 because when you weave I don't think it would work well - you may like the effect - in which case, please ignore me! :teehee:

I am going to do 4 strands in one colour (1,3,4 & 6) and 2 in the other (2 & 5).

I hope to co for this tonight :cheering: (I spent ALL last night untangling the cream yarn which had got into a mess for some reason)

dustinac
11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
ohh thanks for the chart.. I don't know if I have enough black so I prolly should do the same.. use it for only 2 strands... :teehee:

AmandaC
11-16-2006, 10:46 AM
:teehee: I've changed my mind again :teehee: I'm now doing it in Cream & Mulberry .... cream is going to be the main colour and I'll probably do both ends in full cream ... but then again ... maybe I could stripe it ... hmmm :thinking:

faymo
11-16-2006, 02:44 PM
:pray: I pray that some day I can do this. I am so interested. I would make a few only if I could :eyebrow:

CarmenIbanez
11-16-2006, 02:45 PM
So many fun things to consider! It makes me wish I had two colors. Oh well, that is so cool though with your chart and everything. You sound just like me. Half the time I enjoy the planning a new project more than the project itself!

AmandaC
11-17-2006, 05:44 AM
:teehee: I tried the chart again last night doing it with 3 colours!!! But settled on just the two in the end.

I don't know what I was thinking but it is much smaller than I imagined it would be. I think I was expecting it to be about 6 -7 inches wide or something (it's only 4.5 inches) ... and each cord is thinner (obviously) than I thought. It still love it :shrug: . Maybe the picture on the cover makes it look bigger than it is. :??

CarmenIbanez
11-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I thought it was wider also. Of course I am using a larger yarn that what is called for too. All I have to do today is seam the sleeves of my sweater and then I can start on the scarf! YIPPPEEEEE~!

dustinac
11-17-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm hoping to work more on mine this weekend too... this could be a project that I keep handy while the kids are up... not much thinking and easy to fix if I drop it in a hurry :teehee:

faymo, I think you should give it a try.. if you can do the Knit and Purl sts you can handle this scarf.. and you can always ask questions on the way if you get stuck... I really think with knitting (in the beginning) the only way to move on is to jump and try things that challenge you... :happydance:

passion4knitn
11-18-2006, 03:02 PM
I am definately going to knit this scarf. I was going to use Paton "SWS" but I think I'll go with a cashmere blend. It looks like this will take such a long time and I already have so many scarves as it is so this will probably be the last one I make in a very long time so I might as well make it with some bad *** yarn, right?.

Also does anyone know if adding an additional cast on stitch to my dpn to knit the first 2 stitches together for extra strength is typically done to avoid that loose join in the beginning.

passion4knitn
11-18-2006, 03:03 PM
I am definately going to knit this scarf. I was going to use Paton "SWS" but I think I'll go with a cashmere blend. It looks like this will take such a long time and I already have so many scarves as it is so this will probably be the last one I make in a very long time so I might as well make it with some bad *** yarn, right?.

Also does anyone know if adding an additional cast on stitch to my dpn to knit the first 2 stitches together for extra strength is typically done to avoid that loose join in the beginning.

CarmenIbanez
11-19-2006, 04:37 PM
I just cast on last night. I am not sure if the loose stitches are particularly important in this project. I usually have the same problem with the join, but these pieces, while doubled, lay flat. I'm not sure that the join is going to show at all. Does that make sense? Other than that, I think that maybe a few otheres here with more experience on the dpns will be able to answer your questions.

CarmenIbanez
11-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Here is my WIP! I am using Caron Simply Soft in Watermelon, because frankly, that is all I have. :-)

AmandaC
11-28-2006, 12:37 PM
I've got two more cords to do ..... :cheering:

I don't think any of the 4 cords already knitted are the same size but as even the shortest one so far is still reeeallllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long, I figured I would wait until I have weaved and then frog each of the other cords until they are the same length. (It is only like max 2 inches shorter than the longest one)

I also swear/promise that I did measure the cords but :shrug: they are NOT the same length.

CarmenIbanez
11-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I am proud of you. I am having a hard time keeping up with this. It is so BORING! Why does such a cool pattern have to be so boring? :shrug:

dustinac
11-28-2006, 12:50 PM
:cheering: I can't wait to see it.. I'm still in the same spot :rofl:

it is boring :pout: :teehee:

AmandaC
11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm so glad you said it's boring .... I haven't touched it since Saturday cos I couldn't bear to pick it up again :teehee:

I WILL do some tonight ... xxx

Stiney
11-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Is it basically just i-cord?

dustinac
11-28-2006, 02:24 PM
yep and I think each one has to be 90 inches or something like that :rofl: :roflhard:

I have no idea when I'll get this done... thinking maybe when we travel home for Christmas :shrug:

CarmenIbanez
11-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, I am hoping mine will be done before the end of winter.

AmandaC
12-05-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm on the last cord :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: hopefully I will finish this by the weekend.

CarmenIbanez
12-05-2006, 12:49 PM
YAY!

AmandaC
12-06-2006, 08:57 AM
9.5 inches / weaving / garter edge THEN I AM FINISHED :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
12-06-2006, 12:49 PM
You ROCK!

AmandaC
12-07-2006, 06:56 AM
:thud: finished - thankfully :teehee:

:woohoo:

Come on now everyone else .... :poke:

I used Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk Aran yarn - soooo soft (colours - Vanilla & Mulberry). The scarf is nice and heavy.

dustinac
12-07-2006, 10:03 AM
:cheering: :happydance: yeah it makes me want to finish mine... I'm still at the same place :oops: :teehee:

It looks wonderful!!!

Petals
12-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Absolutly gorgeous! :heart: :heart:

I have been wanting to make this but thought oh no boring ----But look at the results!!

Luv the colors! Great Job! :thumbsup:

CarmenIbanez
12-07-2006, 12:23 PM
You did a great job! It's beautiful! Did you post in FOs?

AmandaC
12-07-2006, 12:35 PM
sure did - and in my own blog thread too :teehee:

boyforpele13
12-14-2006, 08:40 AM
hi! i've never joined a KH KAL but marce told me about this one. i am plotzing to make this scarf... i ordered the yarn just today and this is going to be a back-burner project for me so i don't know if that qualifies for joining, but i'll be starting soon dang it! i ordered malabrigo in sealing wax. WOO HOO!!!!

seeker83
12-18-2006, 04:51 PM
I was just browsing and I wanted to say good luck on getting these finished! The finished product is beautiful! It looks so warm, I just had to comment and let you know :heart:

boyforpele13
12-20-2006, 12:18 AM
i'm casting on!!!! i got the malabrigo in sealing wax, which is way brighter and redder than this picture: http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/yarn/images/colors/mm_wax.jpg but i still like it a lot. i've already ripped out 5 rounds because i made a bad cast-on choice. ;) i'm excited!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-20-2006, 12:22 AM
I was just fondling some sealing wax today :inlove:

boyforpele13
12-20-2006, 12:24 AM
hilde, are you familiar with their vermilion? the batch of sealing wax i got seems awfully close to it....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Yes, I thought they werethe ame when i first saw them.... damn the LYS people for putting them in adjacent bins!!! I think the vermillion has more pink in it though... :??

boyforpele13
12-20-2006, 01:24 AM
ok, i feel better, thanks. i was hoping for something more wine colored and actually wanted something in that color for a sweater, as well, but i think sealing wax might be the closest i'm going to get. meh. i am totally in lust with malabrigo nonetheless. ;)

boyforpele13
12-20-2006, 08:48 PM
i'm on my first cord and was wondering how wide everyone's cords are? mine's like 3/4 inch by 6 would be exactly 4-1/2 inches which is the projected measurement, but it looks so skinny to me! also, does everyone's garter band measure 4-1/2 or less? i did do a gauge swatch before beginning and it was perfect, but not so when i actually started working it. :(

thanks.

dustinac
12-21-2006, 09:23 AM
My strips are an inch wide :rofl: so is my garter band.. :oops: I didn't check the gauge since it was a scarf... and its still in the same exact spot... I'm taking it with me when we travel home so hopefully 4hrs in the car going and coming will help... I want to finish this but the boredom just won't let me :shrug:

although I'd really like to work on socks

SbutterAMfly
12-28-2006, 12:34 PM
OMG! I'm so excited to see that there is a knit-a-long for this scarf! I'm so happy that it's liked so much! The pictures are great, and I love the idea of using different colors.

I have recently added a "Knitters gallery" to my website, and would love to include some of the completed images of this scarf. You (as the knitter) will get full credit for the image, and I can link it to your blog or website if you would like.

If anyone would like to have me add an image of their scarf, I would be more than happy to! Just send me an e-mail with a link to the image you would like posted: http://www.kristentendyke.com/contactus.php

Here's the link to the knitters gallery: http://www.kristentendyke.com/knittersgallery.php

Happy Knitting everyone!
~Kristen~

DragonTush
12-31-2006, 03:36 AM
I've been wanting to do this scarf for a few weeks. I'm finishing up three projects I have on the go then I'm starting this one. I don't know what colours yet. I to check what I have...I know I have a five 50g balls of Schachenmayr nomotta Boston in a cranberry colour and the same in a charcoal colour....They're an acrylic/superwash wool blend. .

Hopefully, sometime in January I can join in. :happydance:

boyforpele13
01-01-2007, 04:52 AM
i'm dropping out of the KAL, but for good reason, i promise! hope everyone enjoys their gorgeous scarves and happy new year!!!! :)

dustinac
01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
:rofl: I should drop out too cause mine is in the same spot... :oops:

boyforpele13
01-02-2007, 03:33 PM
i can't lie and say i was really looking forward to working on that 3-inch cord 1, but really what happened was the Kenobi Jacket from KnitScene. I got 10 hanks of malabrigo for Chanukah and had bought 3 hanks of malabrigo in the same color to make the scarf, and it just so happened i needed 14 hanks for the kenobi jacket, so the scarf had to be retired. ;) I'm terribly excited though. I might make it another time, I do still love it.

CraftyGal
02-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I have the yarn and the needles to this. I just haven't taken the time to work on it.

Crafty

CarmenIbanez
02-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the KAL. I haven't been putting a lot of energy into this one, althought I really love the pattern. Let us know how you're doing when you get started!

CraftyGal
02-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Great, I fell in love with the scarf when I saw. I only want to do it ti learn the technique. I HATE weraing scarfs.

Crafty

CarmenIbanez
02-10-2007, 03:46 PM
That reminds me, I saw an interesting technique on Knitty Gritty the other day that would be good for this project. It involved putting all the stitches for the cord on one needle and then knitting as it if is straight. Let me see if I can find a link.... Here are the directions. You work it like double knitting. It says to do it inside out, but I don't think you have to do it that way.

Place the back stitches on one double-pointed needle and the front stitches on another. Use a third double-pointed needle to pick up a stitch from the front, then back, then front, then back, repeating until all stitches are on a single needle.
*K the first stitch, bring yarn forward as if to purl, slip the next stitch, bring yarn back.* repeat to end of row and turn. Repeat on other side. You have now done a single round. Repeat as needed to get proper length.
Some people suggest working double-knit inside out so that you purl every other stitch and don't need to throw the yarn back and forth before and after the slip stitches, but this leaves a ladder at each end. Regardless, this is only a suggestion. Feel free to work these stitches in the round on multiple double-pointed needles if that suits you better.