PDA

View Full Version : what a bummer (when you hate something you just made!)

VictoiseC
10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Man oh man. Maybe this crochet thing isn't all it's worked out to be.
I took a break from knitting so I could use my new crochet hook and whipped these up in an hour. When I go to sew them up,
I HATE THEM IT. I had a suspicion I would but thought maybe in really cold weather I'd like them. I HATE THEM.

Have you done this!?

I've got to rip the ____ thing out now don't I.
It's way too bulky and the right one would have the seam on top unlike the left one. yuk stupid pattern (won't say where I got it)

(now I get to use the rant icon) :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :wall:

they're not entirely seamed but you get the picture :verysad:

Quiltlady
10-25-2006, 02:39 PM
The stitch is pretty and so is the color pink. I know we've all ripped out things. Be glad its not a big project like a sweater that you have to rip out! I'm sure you'll fix it just right the next time. :happydance:

kemp
10-25-2006, 02:43 PM
I hate to rip, but at least they didn't take you very long...plus better to realize you hate them now then after you have them both made!

CarmenIbanez
10-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Is there anyone you can gift them too? I ask because you may hate them, but the first thing I though was, "my sister would love those". She and I have wildly different taste and usually when I finish something and don't like it, she ends up with it. :-)

The color is beautiful and you are quite a good crocheter!

VictoiseC
10-25-2006, 02:47 PM
yeah kemp, better than if I had made two.

I can't imagine what it's like to rip a whole sweater.... :pout:
I read some designers do that all the time. So much wear and tear on the wrist.

rebecca
10-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Sorry about the pond! I agree with Kemp!

Jan in CA
10-25-2006, 03:19 PM
It's way too bulky

That is why I don't like crochet. I'm sorry you're unhappy with them. :hug:

mwedzi
10-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Oh, so sorry. But I know the feeling, we all do. What can I say? I love crochet and have crocheted a lot, but it's just better for some things than it is for others. Unravel that pink yarn and make yourself a big bunny like the one in the pattern I posted in the Patterns forum. Or a Hello Kitty Doll. Or a purse. Or, you could send the yarn to me. I'm sure I'd find something to crochet with it. :teehee:

Shandeh
10-25-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't really like the look of crochet either. THAT'S the reason I learned to knit!

ecb
10-26-2006, 09:56 AM
chrochette is fine for things that need to be tough
knitting is for finer, softer things
i used to make these WAY cute crochetted teddy bears (about 4" tall)
they would not work in knitting

and I love the pattern
but I have not made any in a long time (maybe this is a clue for me)

hellokitty165
10-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Man oh man. Maybe this crochet thing isn't all it's worked out to be.
I took a break from knitting so I could use my new crochet hook and whipped these up in an hour. When I go to sew them up,
I HATE THEM IT. I had a suspicion I would but thought maybe in really cold weather I'd like them. I HATE THEM.

Have you done this!?

I've got to rip the ____ thing out now don't I.
It's way too bulky and the right one would have the seam on top unlike the left one. yuk stupid pattern (won't say where I got it)

(now I get to use the rant icon) :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :wall:

they're not entirely seamed but you get the picture :verysad:

I am sorry that u hate your wrist warmer...when come to crochet you have to pick carefully what you are crocheting... and the yarn you use too...anything chunky won't look too good.on certain projects.. your yarn u picked look wonderful... i made alot crochet stuff and i love them... try it again ok

nikic
10-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Would they work in really cold weather? Possible walking downtown or scraping your car/porch/etc. off with snow?

I've done that too. I have a handful of items I made that I don't like. Two scarves, a purse, and an hankerchif scarf. I am gifting a lot of them.

I do love crochet for dishcloths, blankets, and that really cute bath mat in One Skein. I have the yarn for that but I don't know how to double crochet yet.

Jenelle
10-26-2006, 11:33 AM
I hate whenever I have to rip out things. I like crochet for preemie items though, they go quick.

Maybe you could make a pair of knitted fingerless gloves? That yarn looks so nice and it may look awesome knitted than crochet. :teehee:

Mo0nAngel
10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
I know what you mean...there's one scarf I absolutely hate...its one step away from being done and I hate it... :hair: :hair: :gah: :gah:

GennyLynn1962
10-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Sorry you don't like your wrist warmers. Believe me I know about ripping things out, I have frogged more than I have finished. :wall:

The color is great, and the stitches loook good. Try making them with less bulky yarn.

If you want to finish them and don't like them, and don't want to gift them, maybe you could donate them. I'm sure someone would be glad to get them.

Don't give up.

Gen

Old Knitter
10-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Take a deep breath.....rip it out. Once it's re-wound you'll feel such relief.

cookworm
10-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Vic, that yarn is so pretty!!! :inlove: This too has happened to me, actually, with the same exact item (a pair of wrist warmers). The yarn looked really pretty, and the pattern seemed pretty easy, so I was eager to dive in. The problem was I think that the yarn was too bulky...wrong yarn for the project (even though that's the yarn the pattern said to use). I've seen wrist warmers that use thinner yarn (maybe fingering yarn or even DK), and I think it makes a big difference. I'm not so sure that the fact that they were crocheted makes a difference...your crocheting is AWESOME (mine is just horrible!!!); I'm no knitting expert, but my humble opinion is that the bulkier yarns for the wrist warmers are just too thick. Great ideas were previously posted (like gifting them or using them for functional purposes). I have a knitting "journal" that I keep patterns I've used in, and what I do is to write the yarn I used on the pattern along with its gauge (in case I want to sub yarn at a later date or if the recommended yarn gets discontinued), and how the yarn/pattern worked out, that way, I don't make the same mistake twice with regards to buying yarn. Unfortunately, sometimes, it's just a "live and learn" thing with yarn, I think. As my intro to merino yarn (and natural fiber in general), I bought some Takhi Baby print yarn (it's a pretty bulky weight yarn at 2 sts/1") for the SnB "Ribbed for Her Pleasure" scarf--my very first knitting project--I could not stop fondling this yarn at the LYS!!! :teehee: At something like $15 a skein, I was skeptical to buy it, because it was going to be my first project and I feared I would waste money if I didn't finish it, so I vowed to finish it, no matter what. This was a big investment for me because I think it took like 3 or 4 skeins to make the scarf, which was a huge investment for me (I'd never pay that kind of money for a scarf retail!!!). Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I intentionally made the scarf a bit wider than the pattern called for (because the yarn was so bulky, this would've made a much cuter scarf had it been thinner and wound around my neck rather than thicker with the ends just crossing over), and although I LOVE this yarn, every time I wear the scarf, I contemplate frogging it and redoing it to make it thinner. I think I'd get more enjoyment out of it. I should just do it, especially since I've been knitting a little bit longer and it wouldn't take me long to do (size 17 needles) and since winter is coming.

Anyway, maybe you can seam up the wrist warmers and wear them out and about and see how you like them? Maybe your perspective will change after you've worn them?

mrs desert rain
10-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Maybe wait before you frog? I usually do -- if only to have a clear idea of what to do with the yarn. (I have a few WIPs that I absolutely can't bear to look at, and they're still sitting there half-finished... I guess I'm waiting for them to miraculously reshape into something attractive and interesting...)

CateKnits
10-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Maybe wait before you frog? I usually do -- if only to have a clear idea of what to do with the yarn. (I have a few WIPs that I absolutely can't bear to look at, and they're still sitting there half-finished... I guess I'm waiting for them to miraculously reshape into something attractive and interesting...)

I feel ya on that one. I have a half finished sweater that I HATE, but I don't know what else I should use the yarn for, so it remains half a sweater. I feel less bad about ripping things out when I have a plan for the yarn.

VictoiseC
10-27-2006, 11:48 AM
What a lot of sweet replies!!! Thanks everybody! :muah: :muah:

Um, I ripped them yeah. (I don't know anyone who'd want them).

I'll make something else with that yarn, it's bulky after all, I should've known better but I was all excited coz of my new beautiful crochet hook I just bought. Now the hat I made in a couple of hours turned out fine!

There's a pic below.

Ohhhh, ECB, I'm very intested in those teddy bears! They sound cute. Although I collect rabbits so maybe I could make an adjustment. Do you have the pattern or know where it is? OH WAIT, BIG BUNNY! Nikki, I just saw your post.... I'm going to go look at the pattern!

The other thing I noticed is, at the end of the day I had the most amazing pain in my hand WOW I couldn't believe it. At one point I went to pick something up and my hand wouldn't work. Major cramp along the side of it. Never ever had that with knitting. I will approach the crochet hook with great caution from now on.

:pout:

But since it goes so fast I think at some point I will make an afghan.

VictoiseC
10-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Cookworm... I think you should go ahead and rip it out and make it thinner! You'll be much happier and it won't take that long really with size 17.
I love long skinny scarves, I've made a bunch.

Oh, I just remembered, I didn't frog the whole thing... (I'm working on a few things at once) When I got down to about 3 inches it looked like a neat headband, so I'm playing around with it to see if I'll do that.
Cate.. maybe you could do that with the sweater??? Make it into something else? A leg warmer ha?

VictoiseC
10-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Is it the bunny at Heartstrings? pretty... looks like the yarn I used for my beret. But where are his eyes? :teehee:

hellokitty165
10-27-2006, 01:38 PM
What a lot of sweet replies!!! Thanks everybody! :muah: :muah:

Um, I ripped them yeah. (I don't know anyone who'd want them).

I'll make something else with that yarn, it's bulky after all, I should've known better but I was all excited coz of my new beautiful crochet hook I just bought. Now the hat I made in a couple of hours turned out fine!

There's a pic below.

Ohhhh, ECB, I'm very intested in those teddy bears! They sound cute. Although I collect rabbits so maybe I could make an adjustment. Do you have the pattern or know where it is? OH WAIT, BIG BUNNY! Nikki, I just saw your post.... I'm going to go look at the pattern!

The other thing I noticed is, at the end of the day I had the most amazing pain in my hand WOW I couldn't believe it. At one point I went to pick something up and my hand wouldn't work. Major cramp along the side of it. Never ever had that with knitting. I will approach the crochet hook with great caution from now on.

:pout:

But since it goes so fast I think at some point I will make an afghan.
Where did you buy your crochet needle ??? very nice

MrTea
10-27-2006, 05:04 PM
They look like they were made for a gay superhero or something. \:^)

Wow, an hour! Maybe I should learn to crochet. I knew it was faster than knitting, but wow, an hour!

cgd
10-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Cute hat!! I love to crochet too, just finished a meshy cap for my cousin's 14-year-old daughter. Like others have said, it's better for some things (lacy, filet, thread, etc.) than knitting, which is better for stretchy sweaters. Caps, scarves, and purses can be done by either depending on what effect you want. But this is the beauty of living in a free society--we don't have to choose between the two--you can have it all!!

VictoiseC
10-28-2006, 10:01 AM
They look like they were made for a gay superhero or something. \:^)

Wow, an hour! Maybe I should learn to crochet. I knew it was faster than knitting, but wow, an hour!

THAT IS TOOOOO FUNNY! :roflhard: I had to go back and look at the picture to laugh at that one.... Who is that in your avatar btw, Mr. Tea? You????
You will be amazed if you try crocheting, it's so fast it's like lightning.
I'm definitely going to keep doing it between knitting, you literally can make a complete object in an hour or two.

Here is a better picture of the crochet hook and also the man who makes them. He and his family are just so nice, they have a fiber farm up in Maine I think... wait I'll find the link.... You can look at his stuff on ebay and bid there if you ever want one. They're not cheap but so beautiful you want to pick it up and work with it. Did I mention I paid $40

:pout: for it at the NY Wool Festival? But he starts the bidding at $25 then there's shipping. Here he is:

http://www.graftonfibers.com/crochet.htm

Cindy ain't that the truth! I love that name someone here has:
crochets by day/knits by night

nonny2t
10-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Ok, so the handwarmer was a bust, but your crochet hook is gorgeous!!! My mil was a beautiful crocheter and did many many things for my kids and crocheted a huge queen size bedspread for me for Christmas years ago that was white with the roses on the squares. I will never put it on a bed, but I will treasure it always. Use that beautiful hook and that pretty yarn for something cool like an afghan or something. You can then love what you made and love the yarn too and know that crocheting can be enjoyable. Just think about the fact that when you crochet a blanket, afghan or whatnot you only have one stitch at a time going and when you knit the same thing you have a ton on one needle usually so in the case of a blanket, crocheting can be more enjoyable. With this thought in mind, you can realize that like one of the other ladies said, crocheting usually involves heavier things and knitting softer things, but each makes beautiful projects in their own right!!!

We look forward to seeing what you decided to do with the beautiful pink yarn and that handsome crochet hook!

Faye

MrTea
10-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Who is that in your avatar btw, Mr. Tea? You????

That's Mr. T; I am not the real Mr. T, mearly a fan.

I thought the somberero went with the whole southern Arizona thing.

I've attached a photo of the real me.

You will be amazed if you try crocheting, it's so fast it's like lightning.
I'm definitely going to keep doing it between knitting, you literally can make a complete object in an hour or two.

I'll definitely have to try it. Can't right now as i'm knee deep in 3 different knitting projects right now.

Here is a better picture of the crochet hook and also the man who makes them. He and his family are just so nice, they have a fiber farm up in Maine I think... wait I'll find the link.... You can look at his stuff on ebay and bid there if you ever want one. They're not cheap but so beautiful you want to pick it up and work with it. Did I mention I paid $40

That is a nice crochet hook. Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it.

Hmm.. Maine you say? I plan on moving there some day.

Shandeh
10-30-2006, 12:01 AM

Vic, this is the PRECISE reason I switched to knitting! My right hand ACHES when I crochet.

Nice picture, Mr. T! Welcome to the forum!

MrTea
10-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Thanks, but i'm not new, i'm just back.

I guess my interest in knitting just wains during the summertime. And summertime lasts 9 months here.

VictoiseC
10-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Wow. That's quite a nice picture I must say. Thank you for posting it.
I won't go on about your looks coz I'm married. But it's a VERY nice picture.

I get a little spaced sometimes, I guess now that I think about it I have hard of Mr. Tea. But I can't recall what he did/does is/was. Mr. Tea Mr. Tea....
I'm always not recognizing famous characters in avatars, people must think I'm in Zimbabwe or something.

Nonny! Thanks for the advice esp about making a big blanket or afghan. Yes, I've been working, knitting, an afghan for almost a year because I want to do all my other projects, it's just taken so long.... I look forward to crocheting one instead. I know it'll fly.
And Shandeh, yeah I guess I got to really limit my crochet action to just a bit once in a while. But my wrists hurts anyhow when I do too much knitting, so like the eye doctor said to me when I was little and I told him my eyes hurt because I read all the time : You're not supposed to do it ALL THE TIME! :happydance:

VictoiseC
10-30-2006, 04:01 PM
P.S. Yeah, this crochet is so beatiful I keep it next to my computer just to look at it. It's like jewelry. Now I can understand why the other women were paying $50 for spindles and such, it is a pleasure to work with beautifully made things.

mwedzi
10-30-2006, 04:06 PM
wow, that crochet hook is beautiful!

Shandeh
10-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I get a little spaced sometimes, I guess now that I think about it I have hard of Mr. Tea. But I can't recall what he did/does is/was. Mr. Tea Mr. Tea....

It's just plain old "Mr T". He was a character in himself, saying, "I pity the fool", with a mega-serious expression on his face. He acted on "The A Team" television series as well. He was always funny to me. :teehee:

Shandeh
10-30-2006, 04:17 PM

Thanks, but i'm not new, i'm just back.
I guess my interest in knitting just wains during the summertime. And summertime lasts 9 months here.
Sorry, I've only been in the forum for 8 months, so you're new to me!

MrTea
10-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Sorry, I've only been in the forum for 8 months, so you're new to me!

I was not offended, no need to apologize.

VictoiseC
10-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Oh yeah, now I remember... The A Team! Believe it or not, the guy on that show, um the actor who was kind of good looking (not the older one the younger one I forget his name, he came to New York to do a play...
wanted to try Shakespeare and he did Hamlet. I did the wardrobe and was in charge of his outfit. ! Long time ago. (his hamlet wasn't very good)

Stiney
10-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Oh yeah, now I remember... The A Team! Believe it or not, the guy on that show, um the actor who was kind of good looking (not the older one the younger one I forget his name, he came to New York to do a play...
wanted to try Shakespeare and he did Hamlet. I did the wardrobe and was in charge of his outfit. ! Long time ago. (his hamlet wasn't very good)

"I pity the foo who don't know whether to be or not to be!"

VictoiseC
10-31-2006, 05:16 PM
:rofl: that's weird but I think I get it

Stiney
10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Mr. T always would say "I pity the foo(l)!"

I realize he wasn't the Hamlet/A-Team dude, but it was too funny once it popped in my head.

amy
10-31-2006, 06:19 PM
I don't really like the look of crochet either. THAT'S the reason I learned to knit!

Ditto! ...actually, I do like crochet for SOME things: well, granny square afghans, and borders on knitted items, that's about it!

Sorry you don't like it Victoise! You could lay it flat, and sew closed the thumb, and felt it into something... :shrug: Maybe even just some durable sole re-enforcements for your next pair of knitted slippers? (cut them to size after felting and sew on)