PDA

View Full Version : stripe colour opinions - *progress pic added!!!

knitqueen
10-25-2006, 10:23 PM
I just purchased this pattern (http://knitandtonic.typepad.com/knitandtonic/2005/10/essential_strip.html) (believe it or not, the first pattern I've ever actually payed $$$ for :shock: ) and I am so excited about it. I'm having a bit of a struggle with choosing which colours to use for the stripes. I'm going for a fall/winter warm-type colour scheme and I'm really torn about adding in a 4th colour.....so I need your opinions!! Below are two pictures. The first one with the 3 colours that I am for sure using and the second one with the 4th colour added. It's simply called 'Taupe' and it's a tad darker than the picture shows, but you get the idea. It obviously not as dark a colour as the other 3 so I'm not sure if it 'goes' or if it would be too much of a constrast. Opinions???

psammeadred
10-25-2006, 10:53 PM
I like all 4 together! But of course, since you're the one making it, if you really don't feel comfortable with it, leave it out. Ultimately, it's up to you.

kaidyddd
10-25-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm always initially unsure about picking colors myself, but put a palette of colors in front of me and I am able to edit, change around and go from there. I like the lighter taupe added into the mix. In my opinion it makes the other colors read truer to themselves, it makes them pop out. Without the taupe, the colors all read the same to me. So I would say if you want to really see stripes add the taupe, if you want to have the stripes muted and blending into one another leave the taupe out and if you need a fourth color go darker--perhaps a black.

Just how I'm seeing it, I could be totally off base.

Kaidy

Denise in Michigan
10-25-2006, 10:57 PM
For your fall/winter scheme, I'd leave out the taupe. If you want a fourth color, I'd go with a small amount of an even darker color!

knitqueen
10-25-2006, 11:04 PM
I have my stripe sequence planned out, including the taupe, but I think what I might do is cut down the taupe stripes to just a few narrow ones here and there just for that added bit of contrast.

snowbear
10-26-2006, 12:04 AM
ok... that is just beautiful... would you tell me the type of yarn & the colors? please....... they look perfect for a throw I've been trying to match colors for....

thanks...

Rorshach
10-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Definitely like the colors, KnitQueen. I recently had the same dilemma when picking out colors for a bag that I'm making, once I got them I wasn't so sure that they would work well together. But after I posted the pic on it, people did like the colors together. So I guess I'm satisfied in that way. :D

Jan in CA
10-26-2006, 01:07 AM
I like the taupe in the mix. Having it will make the other colors pop!

knitqueen
10-26-2006, 01:10 AM
ok... that is just beautiful... would you tell me the type of yarn & the colors? please....... they look perfect for a throw I've been trying to match colors for....

thanks...

The yarn is Patons Decor (75% acrylic/25% wool), the colours are Taupe, Olive, Rich Bronze, and Heather.

:muah:

HamburgKnitter
10-26-2006, 03:45 AM
I like the color combination. You might want to lay the four colors down on a dark background too and see what they look like there. On my screen the 4th color is hard to judge because it blends into the beige background.

mrs desert rain
10-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Ooooooh, go for the taupe as well! I agree with Jan in CA -- it'll give the darker colors more contrast.

mks22300
10-26-2006, 11:02 AM
I think that the taupe makes the darker colours pop too and I really like the pattern that you're going to use. Might have to think about getting that one for myself when I decide to tackle sweaters. :teehee:

knitqueen
10-26-2006, 11:05 AM
I haven't had such good luck with knitting sweaters for myself, mostly because of the seaming that's usually involved. I do seaming alright but I'm never totally satisfied with it and the things I make usually end up in the bottom of the closet or sent to the Salvation Army clothing pick-up (where I'm sure someone is getting good use out of them!!)

But this one being top down, knit in one piece, no seaming, I feel a bit more confident about coming out with a good finished product in the end.

Thanks for the compliments about the colour choices - I am going to keep the taupe, I think you're right, it will help with the contrast.

knitqueen
10-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Okay, I've got some progress!!!!! :happydance: This picture looks really weird, I'm warning you - it's a top down raglan, doesn't look at all like a sweater yet but you can get a better idea of the colour combination now that some of it is done. I'm really liking it so far!

Ingrid
10-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Definitely a good idea to add the taupe! The colors look wonderful together!

sara_jayne
10-27-2006, 04:54 PM
It looks beautiful! The color combination is perfect.

knitqueen
11-03-2006, 12:27 AM
New progress pic....I've completed the v-neck and have now joined in the round.

misstialouise
11-03-2006, 12:38 AM
OMG... that looks SOOO good...

snowbear
11-03-2006, 12:44 AM
ok.. that is just awesome.. those colors are awesome.. they really pop... you go girl!!!!! :cheering:

knitqueen
11-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Thanks! :muah:

I 'tried it on' as best I could and it seems that the fit is just fine so far. I might do a bit of decreasing as I get closer to the waist for a bit more fitting but I'll wait a few inches until I can try it on again before I decide if its necessary or not.

KellyK
11-03-2006, 01:18 AM
LOVE the taupe... it really makes the other colors POP! And, she has some GREAT patterns! I like "something red", too!