PDA

View Full Version : "Magic Loop"?

cookworm
10-26-2006, 01:35 PM
I probably should know this...but...what's "magic loop"? :oops:

DianaM
10-26-2006, 01:50 PM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

Look under small diameter circular knitting. I've never tried magic loop myself, but it's in my list

cookworm
10-26-2006, 02:09 PM
So if I'm looking at Amy's video correctly, if you were knitting a hat in the round on a circular needle, when you got to the decreases where you'd normally use dpn's, you could keep using your circular needle "magic loop" way until you finished the hat? :??

kemp
10-26-2006, 02:11 PM
yep...although if you started with a 16" circular for a hat, that really wouldn't be long enough for magic loop once you got to the decreases. Most people use around 40" for magic loop.

However, if you start the hat doing magic loop the whole way you'd be fine. Magic loop replaces DPNs in any project.

cookworm
10-26-2006, 02:35 PM
However, if you start the hat doing magic loop the whole way you'd be fine. Magic loop replaces DPNs in any project.

Ahhh...that makes sense! :thumbsup: Sometimes, it seems like all I'm doing is shelling out money on knitting needles every time I have a project...the projects wind up costing me a lot more money than I would've budgeted for because I don't have the right needles--it's frustrating, you know? Knowing this fact expands a new horizon for me, provided I can figure out how to do it! :teehee:

kemp
10-26-2006, 03:01 PM
yes...it can get expensive if you are constantly buying new needles. If you know for sure you're in love with knitting, it will actually save money in the long run to go ahead and buy an interchangeable set.

aineepooh1
10-26-2006, 03:35 PM
KEMP!!
~~~IF~~ you're in love with knitting...
Of course she is!! :cheering: :cheering:
Your killing me~!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

kemp
10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: I guess that is kind of funny...I figure there must be SOME people though who try knitting and think it's just "ok" (although it IS hard to imagine) and can't justify the crazy $$$ the rest of us spend on needles and yummy yarn! :roflhard: :roflhard:

psammeadred
10-26-2006, 09:56 PM
When I first started knitting, I had some size 8 straights. But then I found about a dozen pairs (?) of circulars at a garage sale, and a bunch of straights at a thrift store. Second-hand is the way to go on those! (I also have a Boye Needlemaster that is very helpful.)

suzeeq
10-26-2006, 10:10 PM
And even if you have 16" circs you could do a single loop with them. It's like the ML only you pull out the cord just on one side.

sue