PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Boye Interchangeables

humblestumble
10-27-2006, 12:11 AM
I don't know what year these are from, but my best guess is the 70s. I just got them from my boyfriend's aunt whom was kind enough to give me all of her knitting needles, or well, at least her old stuff. I don't think she knits anymore though.

They still seem very sturdy. I'm not planning on parting with them, but I thought I would share! all the parts are still here and everything - listed for 28 dollars (approx)!!!

So now I have two sets, but I think I shall like this one better, reminds me of denise needles of today - at least from the pictures I've seen.

Click to see Slideshow of the whole batch that I got.
http://static.flickr.com/91/280337368_0e53b1c303.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/diysewright/sets/72157594315469384/show/)

Julie
10-27-2006, 12:24 AM
My guess is late 70s....my MIL has a set from the late 60s/early 70s and the case is huuuuuge. I swear, it's as big as a laptop and veeeeery funky. :roflhard:

humblestumble
10-27-2006, 12:29 AM
Yea, that was my guess too. I'm usually pretty good at judging things by era, but I thought getting more input would be awesome so I'd know generally what period it was from. I wasn't alive then, so I can't know for sure.

I wonder why the case was so huge back then? :shrug:

kemp
10-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Those are really cool!

JLC
10-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Didn't the people who now make the Denise set make the Boye's a long time ago. So really, they are more like the Denise's than the new-style Boye sets, I think? :shrug: I could just be making this up, but I'm pretty sure I actually read that somewhere? :oops: :??

janelanespaintbrush
10-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Didn't the people who now make the Denise set make the Boye's a long time ago. So really, they are more like the Denise's than the new-style Boye sets, I think? :shrug: I could just be making this up, but I'm pretty sure I actually read that somewhere? :oops: :??

Yeah, I've read the Denise people first developed the Boye set too.

humblestumble
10-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Oh wow! I didn't know that! So I guess now I have a boye set and a denise set essentially? That's so neat! And they are still very durable feeling, but I'm still scared to knit with them since my boyfriend broke one of the other straight needles I had (if you click the picture in the first post, you can see the slideshow which has a picture of it).
:happydance: