PDA

View Full Version : Denise Interchangeable needles or Knit Picks Options?

susanc
10-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone:

I am going to ask for a set of interchangeable needles for Christmas and wondered which ones you all prefer. I've heard good things about both of them. I like the idea of the slick metal finish on the Knit Pick Options, but wish they had a few other lengths of cords.

I would appreciate getting your opinions on this! Thanks!

rebecca
10-27-2006, 03:01 PM
I love my Options! Hands down, my fave.
I also like my Denise set, the one and only thing that I don't like about the Denise set is that the cables are too fat for my liking, when I'm knitting something large the sts tend to stick on the cord, but that's me, I'm not a loose knitter, so it may be the way that I knit (although, I'm not a really tight knitter, either :wink:).

janelanespaintbrush
10-27-2006, 07:26 PM
If you like the idea of slick needles, definitely go for Options. Denises can be a bit grabby at times. I've heard rumor of 16" Options cords, but don't know if it's true. Still, because they're so flexible, it's not a big deal to do magic loop so I don't think it's that big of an issue, really. I've got a Denise set but have gradually been picking up Options components, and have come to prefer them. If you have any doubts, get one of the sizes that don't come in the set -- or maybe one of the classic circs in the smaller size. (They're pretty much the same thing except smaller.) Then you can make sure you like it without having to worry about a redundant purchase.

susanc
10-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Thank you Jane and Rebecca! I appreciate your input. I think I will go with the Options. The only thing that was holding me back from them is that they don't offer a 16" cord. I sure hope it's true that they are going to come out with one.

I really like the idea of slick needles and the cord being more flexible. The join looks really smooth.

Thanks again for your help! :waving:

SabrinaJL
10-27-2006, 11:11 PM
When I called KP because I had a defective cord I asked them why they didn't have 16" cables. The rep that I talked to told me they WILL have them eventually, she just couldn't tell me when yet. I don't know how true that is, but that's what I was told.

Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Options. I will probably still buy a set of Denise's (for variety, you see). :D

Braden
10-28-2006, 09:18 AM
IF you like slippery, metal needles, like I do, then go for the options. If not, Denise.

Quiara
10-28-2006, 10:29 AM
I love my Denise needles, but I have to admit, I think on the whole I'd prefer the Options. I've been fighting the buying urge for a while and I'm just not sure how much longer I can hold out! If they're as much like Addis as most people say they are, then how can you go wrong?

janelanespaintbrush
10-28-2006, 10:33 AM
If they're as much like Addis as most people say they are, then how can you go wrong?

This will probably sound blasphemous to some addis fans, but I bought one set to see what the hype was about, and didn't care for them at all. I like the Options a lot better. The pointy tips and cables are way superior. IMHO.

Quiara
10-28-2006, 10:38 AM
If they're as much like Addis as most people say they are, then how can you go wrong?

This will probably sound blasphemous to some addis fans, but I bought one set to see what the hype was about, and didn't care for them at all. I like the Options a lot better. The pointy tips and cables are way superior. IMHO.

Well, if they're better than Addis, I can't keep this non-buying thing up. *sigh* I love my addis. I know in my knitterly heart that I would only love Options more.

When I rule the world, knitting implements and supplies will be free.

susanc
10-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Thank you everybody! I've made up my mind to go with the Options! Now I just have to decide if I want to buy a kit or buy everything separately. :?? What would all of you suggest? I DO hope they are going to come out with a 16" cord SOON!!! :happydance:

janelanespaintbrush
10-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Now I just have to decide if I want to buy a kit or buy everything separately. :?? What would all of you suggest?

If you want the storage case and think you'll use most of the sizes included in the set, I think that's the way to go. I did the math and decided that it made more sense for me to buy the needles piece-meal as I needed them, since I didn't really care about the case, and wasn't sure I needed every size. (But then I have the Denises to fall back on.)

suecq
10-28-2006, 12:53 PM
You could order the size tips you use most often and a set of 24" cables. If you like the OPtions then order the kit. That way you end up with 2 of your favorite size tips and can have 2 WIPs on that size needle. I ordered doubles for size 4-8 for that same reason and now I am thinking of getting a 3rd size 7.

susanc
10-28-2006, 12:54 PM
[quote=" did the math and decided that it made more sense for me to buy the needles piece-meal as I needed them, since I didn't really care about the case, and wasn't sure I needed every size. (But then I have the Denises to fall back on.)[/quote]

That's probably what I'm going to do too. I'll sit down and figure out what I think I'll use the most and go from there.

Thank you for your advise! I just hope they come out with a 16" cable one of these days soon! I certainly think it would be smart of them to do so! One can only hope! :pray:

janelanespaintbrush
10-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I just hope they come out with a 16" cable one of these days soon! I certainly think it would be smart of them to do so!

Well, I don't know why I didn't think to mention this before, but I have (gasp) succesfully shortened an options cord myself using some scissors and glue. (I chronicled the experiment in an old thread, but I will summarize for you!)

Pretty much all you have to do is to pull the cord out of one of its little metal collars, snip it down, and glue it back in with some super glue (you may have to file the edge of the cable down to get it to fit). Hints: try doing it a little at a time, because you may find that 16" is too short for comfort. Start from about 20" and go down... I think I stopped around 18" because it seemed like shorter might not provide a wide enough angle when in knitting position -- also remember to account for the part of the cable that fits into the collar when you're measuring or you will end up cutting too much (not good).

susanc
10-28-2006, 01:23 PM
You crafty girl! That's FANTASTIC!!! :cheering: I think it's great that you even attempted it! I will definitely do the same. I think I'll order a couple of extra cables just in case I mess up! Thank you SO much for the great idea! I think it's great when people think outside the box. Like the saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention"! How cool! :happydance: :muah: :happydance: