PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made this?

divagirl
10-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi all - I am almost finished with the Brea Bag from the Berrocco website. I have to toot my own horn for a minute, because I am very, VERY proud of how it is turning out! I did the bag front and back fine, but the gusset is giving me problems. It is done in moss stitch with increases at one end and decreases at the other. I did what the insructions said, but it just doesn't look right. It's kind of S shaped, and I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if I could use it as-is or if I should block it before I assemble the purse. Any advice? TIA, Deb

knitqueen
10-27-2006, 04:04 PM
I am just in the process of finishing this off too! I don't quite know what you mean about the gusset being S shaped? Is it possible that you can post a photograph to show me what you mean? Mine is very straight, narrow at the end and a few increases, then the majority of the gusset at 12sts, then a few decreases at the other end to taper it off to the 8sts.

divagirl
10-27-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm at work, no way to post a pic. at the end where I have increased, it bends one direction - at the decrease end it bends in the other direction. The increase seciton looks messy - maybe I am doing something wrong? What color did you do your bag in?

knitqueen
10-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Did you increase/decrease at both ends of the rows??

Here's a pic of the front of mine from last week - I've since finished the back and the gusset, and seamed it all together. I feel like it really needs lining so that will be my next step, but of course I already have something else on the needles so my motivation is quickly slipping :oops: . Oh, and I need to find a strap for the handle too.

divagirl
10-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Very pretty! I did mine in a tan with a littled fleck, I usedPaton's Merino instead of the Berrocco. M&J Trimming makes the same handle in the picture, their website is mjtrim.com I think. I might be ripping out the gusset and starting over, or I'll wait for MIL to get back from vacation and help me then - she is my knitting Yoda!

knitqueen
10-27-2006, 05:19 PM
I'd be happy to help you out some more if you could tell me exactly how you worked the first section including the increases/decreases.

divagirl
10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks - I might take you up on that. I just ripped it out and I'm going to try it again. I watched the video here for the Moss increase (DUH - why didn't I do that before?) and I think I figured out what I did wrong. We'll see! When you stitched yours up, did you use yarn or thread? I have 6 nieces that may be getting one of these for Christmas.

knitqueen
10-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I used yarn for seaming. Let me know if you run into any problems with the gusset.

divagirl
10-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks. I've eased up a bit on the tension, that seems to help. It still looks like it's leaning though. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong .... would that be any other way to do the gusset - another stitch maybe?

knitqueen
10-27-2006, 07:10 PM
I'll tell you exactly what I did and see if it compares to what you're doing....

Cast on 8 stitches, work moss stitch for 18 rows. Last row worked is a WS row.

Next row: Knit 1, increase 1, work to last stitch, increase 1, Knit 1. = 10sts

Seven rows even with no increases.

Next row: K1, increase 1, work to last stitch, increase 1, Knit 1. = 12 sts

Work moss stitch on these 12sts until you reach required length.

Next row: K1, K2tog, work to last 3 stitches, K2tog, K1. = 10sts

Seven rows even with no decreases.

Next row: K1, K2tog, work to last 3 stitches, K2tog, K1 = 8 sts

Work moss stitch for 18 rows even with no decreases.

Bind off.

knitqueen
10-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I looked at MJ Trim and couldn't find the one that they have on the pattern. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?? :shrug: Plus I don't think they ship to Canada :pout: