PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your fringe fray?

Anastasia Beaverhausen
10-27-2006, 10:27 PM
I finished an afghan in Homespun (phew!) and did the fringe. The edges of the fringe is already starting to fray/unravel. I'm giving this as a gift so I don't want the fringe to be all fluffy. Is there anything I can do and does this happen to all fringe or is homespun more prone to it?

Do you let it fray or do you do something to prevent it?

:wall:

knit-errant
10-27-2006, 10:48 PM
I guess you could go through and knot all the ends by hand or put a little drop of Fray Check on the ends?

Homespun really does seem prone to fluffing out all over though, at least in my experience.

meg
10-27-2006, 11:24 PM
people love scarves made from homespuna dn every time they want fringe, i cringe! i know it will fray. homespun is so soft, but yes, it frays pretty badly.

Anastasia Beaverhausen
10-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks!

If you recieved one as a gift, would you prefer I let it fray or would you prefer to have the ends sealed?

psammeadred
10-28-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm not a fluffy-type person, so I would want the ends knotted or something. And I would go with the knots over the Fray-Check, because the Fray-Check takes a while to dry. If you put it on all the ends, they might all glue themselves together!

cheesiesmom
10-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Fray check sounds like the answer for your already-completed project, but for your next project, instead of the typical fringe, try crocheting long loops. On a capelet pattern I made from the Lionbrand site, the fringe was added to the pattern by attaching the yarn to the completed capelet then with an appropriately sized crochet hook, chain 10, join where the chain started then move over two or three stitches on the capelet and repeat around.

The actual instructions are here: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-townAndCountryCapelet.html

As I remember, either the pattern I used recommended this type of fringe specifically because the homespun frays or I read it someplace. Anyway, you could adjust the length of the fringe by adding or subtracting loops.

kellyh57
10-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Does fluffy fringe fray faster than floofy fringe frays? Say that 4 times fast!

Seriously, I don't need an answer, and I have no input. I just read the title and thought it made a good tongue twister!

Kelly

ecb
10-31-2006, 12:16 PM
I had my kids tie a simple knot every 1" down the length of the Fringe
it worked out well
ecb