PDA

View Full Version : Florida Fiber Fans!

jamadian75
10-28-2006, 09:44 AM
I :heart: this new thread!

Wool and 97 degrees + humidity may not seem like the ideal knitthing environment (unless of course you consider the felting opportunity), but I've found plenty of knitting fanactics here in Sunny South Florida! Granted many of them are north east US transplants, but they are Florida knitters now!

Who else out there can appreciate a good quality cotton or linen yarn or some open lace work to let the sun shine in?

rebecca
10-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I border FL, does that count :wink:

jamadian75
10-28-2006, 12:29 PM
I border FL, does that count :wink:

Now Becka, you know we knitters are a mighty inclusive bunch - of course it counts!! :hug:

As most "Floridians" will tell you, hardly anyone who lives here is actually from here! :)

rebecca
10-28-2006, 12:36 PM
LOL, well, my fam is actually from there! Generations back...orange grove peeps :wink:

10-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Born and raised Florida native here. Tampa Bay area! :cheering:

stitchwitch
10-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Born and raised Florida native here. Tampa Bay area! :cheering:

Yvonne
10-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Southwest FL here! I'm a transplant, of course :)

I usually have two projects going, placed in the rooms where I watch TV. One small project (five pairs of knee booties for a great-niece) is living in the bedroom and travels with me to my home office too, for when I listen to podcasts.
My project living in the living room right now is a crocheted chenille afghan, but that's only for nights when the air conditioning is on or we're having a cool front. Too hot to have it on my lap, otherwise.
Knitting in Florida makes for good business for the post office, because all that stuff eventually gets shipped up north to family.

suecq
10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm from Tampa. We have quite a few knitters in this area.

Deeknit
10-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Tallahassee here

Deeknit

River
10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
born and raised here in panama city fl.

jamadian75
10-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Tallahassee here

Deeknit

I went to school at FAMU!! :waving:

Deeknit
11-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Tallahassee now has 3 yarn shops. 2 near FAMU. Each with there own special flavor.....

Really Knit Stuff (great sock yarns, SeaSilk, lots of Brown Sheep)
WoolyBully ( lots of vegan yarns)
Faye's Needleworks (lots of everything) she's been around about 25 years or more.

Deeknit

jamadian75
11-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Tallahassee now has 3 yarn shops. 2 near FAMU. Each with there own special flavor.....
Deeknit

Wow...sure wish I had known that 10 years ago...I could have made it through those Organic Chem lectures a little easier. :teehee:

Tallahassee actually gets COLD in the fall and winter, so you can actually use some wool! :)

jessiesurprise
11-16-2006, 08:53 PM
The funny thing is I'm from central New York and I had never knit, but now that I live here where it's hot, hot, hot most of the year I've gone and turned addict.

jamadian75
11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
The funny thing is I'm from central New York and I had never knit, but now that I live here where it's hot, hot, hot most of the year I've gone and turned addict.

Hi Jesse! :waving:

I have a few friends up in J-ville.

I see this is your first post!
Welcome to KH! :hug:

feminine_earth
11-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Who else out there can appreciate a good quality cotton or linen yarn or some open lace work to let the sun shine in?
Another Floridian-knitter here! :happydance:

I'm in Central Florida, about an hour from Orlando. I'm a beginner, and just finished my first project ever: a scarf for my Panda Bear (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jelti/More%20LiveJournal%20Pictures/ScarfandDiaper005.jpg)!

I'm currently working on another scarf (but this one's for me!), and a square for Warm Up America. Also, I just taught myself to fingerknit and knit up a rope scarf in less than an hour! Aahhhhh...knitting is getting so addicting! :D

Nice to meet everyone! :hug:

jamadian75
11-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Welcome feminine_earth! :hug:

My sister lives in Orlando, and I went to a great knitting group meeting there a few months ago.

Congrats on your first project and your first post out here! :cheering:

DoulaLyndsey
11-22-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm in Florida! I'm also a transplant, its hard to find natives here. For right now we're in the Ft. Lauderdale area, but hopefully within the year we'll be moving to the Space Coast.

jamadian75
11-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm in Florida! I'm also a transplant, its hard to find natives here. For right now we're in the Ft. Lauderdale area, but hopefully within the year we'll be moving to the Space Coast.

Hi there! Have you checked out A Stitcher's Haven down near the Broward Mall?

Also, I see in your sig line that you're doing Caps to the Capital. Check out our KAL on here to be added to the counter for KH'ers who are knitting for this great cause (if you haven't already). :)

PurpleMittens
12-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Gainesville here. Like most, a transplant.

DoulaLyndsey
12-05-2006, 09:25 PM

Hi there! Have you checked out A Stitcher's Haven down near the Broward Mall?

Oh yes! That is my favorite yarn store!

BarbRude
12-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I live in Fort Lauderdale; originally from Orlando. Just got back into knitting after a 15 year hiatus. My, my how the craft has changed, love all the new yarns.

feminine_earth
12-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Are there any good LYS's around the Lake and Orange County areas? I'm in Lake County, but not too far from Orange County, and the only place I get to go to buy yarn is Joann's. :verysad: I'm probably going to start buying online, but I like to touch and feel yarn before I buy it. Any recommendations?

Also, are there any knitting groups around this area? I meet with a few of my friends once or twice a month, but we don't really get much knitting done and we're all beginners. I'd like to meet people who have been knitting for years so I can learn more. But I don't know anyone who knits. :shrug:

Thanks everyone!
Melissa :)

Solo
12-08-2006, 03:39 AM
Here in Jacksonville. Transplanted from Michigan and stuck down here. ^_^

Solo
12-08-2006, 03:40 AM

Debbie
12-25-2006, 10:02 AM
The first year I learned to knit I thought I was the only person in Orlando who knits. I had joined a Florida knitting yahoo group and when the information about Distaff Day arrived, I decided to go. WOW a huge room full of knitters and spinners .... and I found my WONDERFUL knitting group .... Knit or Knot !! If you are looking for a central Florida group ... this is a great place to start!!!

3rd Annual Orlando Area Distaff Day
Hosted by
“OAKS”
(Orlando Area Knitters & Spinners)

Date: Saturday, January 6th, 2007 Time: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm

4700 Lincoln Ave.
Orlando, FL 32819

Cost: $5.00 – (Monies collected will be given to the church for the use of the room)

What to Bring:

1. Spinning Wheel, Knitting, Weaving, Beading, etc. (whatever you have put away, or not, and want to work on)

2. Bag Lunch – There is a Publix and Albertson’s close by with a deli if any one forgets.

3. Coffee or Tea mug - The Hosting Guilds will provide the beverage and treats. (cookies and veggies)

4. Item for the “Yankee Swap” Put in a plain paper bag and seal so the contents cannot be viewed. This item should have a value of up to $20.00 and should also be something that if you get you will be thrilled!!! (Because you might!!)

5. Items for the “Sale Table” Just like last year. Items that you have decided you might not want and would like to sell. Put a tag on the item with you name and price.

6. FREE TABLE – Some people prefer just to give things away, so get to the “Distaff Day” early “The early bird gets the worm!!”

7. The “Fashion Show” – Bring an item you made this year and share with us your experience and talent!!!!

All activities are voluntary. Feel free to participate in all or none

The second page of this attachment is a notice that we hope you print off and give to your local yarn shop. Invite all your friends!!! The nicest part of this event is not having to worry about canceling due to a blizzard, as we often did up north!!!!!

See you on the 6th!!!!!

The Orlando Knitters and Spinners are happy to announce again:

“The 3rd Annual Distaff Day”

Presbyterian Church of the Lakes
4700 Lincoln Ave.
Orlando, FL 32819

Saturday, January 6th from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm

Day’s Events

10:00 -12:00 - Meet, Greet, Coffee, Goodies, Spin, and Knit
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 2:00 - Fashion Show
2:00 - 3:00 - ‘Yankee Swap’
3:00 - 5:00 - More Spinning, Knitting, Chatting, Sharing

If you have any questions please email RFColcord@hotmail.com
Or knitwit43@aol.com

SkyBluePink
12-31-2006, 03:16 PM

I'm in Panama City, too! You wouldn't happen to know of a good yarn store here by any chance? All I can find are big box craft stores, ie. Hobby Lobby, Joanns, Michaels, etc.

:cheering: :cheering:

Kate

River
12-31-2006, 04:50 PM

I'm in Panama City, too! You wouldn't happen to know of a good yarn store here by any chance? All I can find are big box craft stores, ie. Hobby Lobby, Joanns, Michaels, etc.

:cheering: :cheering:

Kate

nope no yarn stores in town, you will have to drive to Tallahassee or fort walton. I have been to a real yarn store yet.

jrsas
12-31-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm in Vero Beach a transplant from Western NY. I knit a lot for the holidays and the post office loved me this year. Not cold enough to wear wool but I love knitting with it. I have fallen in love with Alpaca it is so soft. No places to buy yarn here so all of my purchases are from the internet.

Because of how warm it is I have begun knitting socks. Of course it is too warm to wear them here. So my mom and sister will be getting them.

landolphe
12-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi-

I am in Homestead, the armpit of the swamp, dawlin'!

Cheers,

Landolphe

Deeknit
01-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Skyblue and River.....

Tallahassee is well worth the drive up.. There are 3 stores now.....Faye's needlework (most yarn, biggest assortment), WoolyBully (newest but great yarn like Southwest Trading Company) and Really Knit Stuff (great sock yarn selections and the new HandMaiden stuff.

On the first Friday of the month, WoolyBully and Really Knit Stuff stay open late because of the area of town they are in and lots' of people are around.

Let me know if you want to drive up some Saturday and meet, I'll take you around. Bring cash or the credit card.

SkyBluePink
01-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Deeknit, that sounds great! I will definitely be making plans to visit Tallahassee. I've been bitten by the knitting bug, but I'm also in school full-time as well as working full-time. So my knitting time is a bit limited lately. Which is sad. :pout:

But I will definitely be contacting you soon!

Many thanks,

Kate

SkyBluePink
01-01-2007, 02:57 PM
nope no yarn stores in town, you will have to drive to Tallahassee or fort walton. I have been to a real yarn store yet.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to hit either Tally or Fort Walton. I'm going to go nuts in the store, I just know it. :teehee:

Thanks for responding,

Kate

Deeknit
01-05-2007, 07:24 PM
How's all the Florida knitters tonite?

Whatcha knitting on this weekend?

YouCantBuyThisMovement
01-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi Florida girl born and raised! I live in Ponce de Leon which is about an hour from anything. I knew there were yarn stores in Tall. but I hardly have the time but I go to Ft. Walton when I go see a movie that or Panama city. Yup both an hour away. I would love to know where set store is, or perhaps what it is called??? I am going to Orlando to see friends in March and oh buddy I am going to start saving now and hit every store I can find. Sighs from happy thoughts.

Florida knitting can be tough I think this summer I will make some cotton storty shorts! Who's in?

Deeknit
01-10-2007, 05:26 AM
The Ft Walton yarn shop is calledUnwind (http://www.unwindwithyarn.com/).

Directions should be on website above.

Also, on the First Friday of everymonth, 2 of our LYS stay open late (I think until 9pm). Might be a fun Friday to drive over to Tally.

Please feel free to contact me if you every want to come over to Tallahassee on a Saturday and do a 3 shop tour.....

Friskums
01-10-2007, 10:48 AM
The first year I learned to knit I thought I was the only person in Orlando who knits. I had joined a Florida knitting yahoo group and when the information about Distaff Day arrived, I decided to go. WOW a huge room full of knitters and spinners .... and I found my WONDERFUL knitting group .... Knit or Knot !! If you are looking for a central Florida group ... this is a great place to start!!!

Debbie, did you go to the Distaff Day last weekend? I went with my friend Jenn and we were learning to spin. I had no idea I missed out on meeting a KHer!

There's also the Orlando Knit Wits meetup group (link (http://knitting.meetup.com/823/)) which is what I go to since it's the only one I've found that doesn't conflict with my work schedule. (Or require me to get up at 8 am on a saturday). :teehee:

YouCantBuyThisMovement
01-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Thank you so very much Deeknit. I will be sure to check it out don't you worry about that.

Silver
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Hello all you other Floridians! I'm in Orange Park, FL which is just southwest of Jacksonville.

Don't you love knitting in Florida? Sometimes it gets cool enough so that I can actually think about wearing the sweaters I've knit. Sometimes I even wear socks.
:hot:

Debbie
01-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Friskums - Yes, Yes ... I was at Distaff Day! Were you and Jenn learning to spin with the spindles? I bet you were the cute young ones of the group! I brought the pink purse and hat for show and tell ... and ... lost the bag of pretty pastel wool at the Yankee Swap ... that was me whining :)

It was such a good day !!! I wish we had known we are both KHers!

Our guild is having a class with Chris Bysmla http://www.chrisbylsmadesigns.com/
on March 24 . There are still spaces available if any one wants to join us. I think the cost will be about $75.00 . We will be doing two - three hour workshops but have not decided which ones. She will be at Sip & Knit the next day doing the Crayon Box Jacket.

HI SILVER !!!! I miss you around here!

Nicole Leigh
01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm a New York native in Naples Florida, by way of Orlando. I just learned to knit. When I say "just" I mean it. like a week ago my mother taught me while I am up in NY on vacation. I leave on Sat, and I'm wondering, what will I work on in FL??? Does anyone have any truly useful patterns for the south? I have a relatives all over, but I would like something I can be excited about for myself and my son. :grphug:

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Friskums
01-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Friskums - Yes, Yes ... I was at Distaff Day! Were you and Jenn learning to spin with the spindles? I bet you were the cute young ones of the group! I brought the pink purse and hat for show and tell ... and ... lost the bag of pretty pastel wool at the Yankee Swap ... that was me whining :)

It was such a good day !!! I wish we had known we are both KHers!
Yep, we were the ones with the cd spindles.
That pastel wool was quite the hot commodity. :rofl: :rofl:

Deeknit
01-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Nicole, there are always really nice summer patterns in several places.

I think about nice tank top sweaters, nice lacey scarfs for work or fun bags.

I even think that nice shawls for walking on the beach.

Here's an idea,,,,,,go to the mall and look at what type of spring summer things they have and then start looking at patterns.

Also, find your closes yarn shop in Naples, they will have lots of ideas.

feminine_earth
01-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I want to meet with knitters in Lake County! :) Are there any around? I wonder how hard it would be to start a knitting group...hmm...

Friskums
01-25-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm trying to start a knit night in Altamonte Springs.
So far it's me and my friend. :rofl:

But, I'm of the belief, that if we SNB it, they will come. :rofl: :rofl:

feminine_earth
02-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Bumping this up to see how all the wonderful Floridian knitters are doing! :hug:

Friskums, you can tentatively add two more to the Altamonte knit night, as long as my friend doesn't bail on me. :)

auburnchick
02-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey y'all!

I'm in the Panhandle. I read through all of the posts. Have family in Tallahassee...will have to visit the yarn stores mentioned!

Question about the Ft. Walton store.

Did they used to be Yarn Garden? I started knitting last summer and drove all the way to Ft. Walton twice to get good yarn and supplies.

Friskums
02-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Bumping this up to see how all the wonderful Floridian knitters are doing! :hug:

Friskums, you can tentatively add two more to the Altamonte knit night, as long as my friend doesn't bail on me. :)

For March 4th?

(To be honest, any night after 8 is fine with me. If a different night would work better for you, I can certainly see my way to getting over there. :teehee: )

Hmm, looks like Apopka is about halfway between us. If you wanted to meet somewhere there, I'd be ok with that too. There's a Z-Coffee shop at 1428 E Semoran Blvd, Apopka. (And they have organic coffee according to the website... Gee, could I be any more pushy? :teehee: )

Deeknit
02-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Yes, the Fort Walton Store used to be Yarn Garden. That lady moved and sold the business and the new owner changed the name. I think because there are a lot of "yarn gardens"

here's the website: www.unwindwithyarn.com

Deeknit
02-25-2007, 10:23 AM
auburnchick,,,,where are you in the panhandle?

Deeknit

auburnchick
02-26-2007, 12:17 PM
auburnchick,,,,where are you in the panhandle?

Deeknit

Panama City. All of our family is in Tally, though. Been going back and forth a lot lately because dd had knee surgery there. Going to follow-ups every couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info about the store. I haven't been there since last summer. Rats...I purchased a frequent buyer card too.

Oh well...

feminine_earth
02-26-2007, 01:15 PM

For March 4th?

(To be honest, any night after 8 is fine with me. If a different night would work better for you, I can certainly see my way to getting over there. :teehee: )

Hmm, looks like Apopka is about halfway between us. If you wanted to meet somewhere there, I'd be ok with that too. There's a Z-Coffee shop at 1428 E Semoran Blvd, Apopka. (And they have organic coffee according to the website... Gee, could I be any more pushy? :teehee: )
Hey Friskums! :hug:

That comment was actually from last week, when I thought I'd be able to make the Feb 23rd knit night. Then, as you know, my friend bailed. :wall:

Apopka sounds great! I still want to go to the Altamonte Knit Night though, just gotta find someone to ride up with. But maybe we'd be able to schedule an Apopka one on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon? Or do you work weekends? A weekday evening is fine, too. :)

Friskums
02-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Hey Friskums! :hug:

That comment was actually from last week, when I thought I'd be able to make the Feb 23rd knit night. Then, as you know, my friend bailed. :wall:

Apopka sounds great! I still want to go to the Altamonte Knit Night though, just gotta find someone to ride up with. But maybe we'd be able to schedule an Apopka one on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon? Or do you work weekends? A weekday evening is fine, too. :)
Doh! :doh: Guess I should have checked the date. :oops:

The 2nd and 3rd Sundays of the month I have a crochet and then knitting group I go to. But Saturdays are usually empty, and the 1st and 4th sundays are free too. So, the weekends work fine for me.
(As of now. I might be getting a new job, and I have no idea what the schedule will be yet. But I'll make a post when I know for sure, either way.)

Deeknit
02-27-2007, 07:03 AM
auburnchick,,,,Unwind is still honoring frequent buyer cards from the yarn garden. I use mine still when I go home to visit family.....

auburnchick
02-27-2007, 11:26 AM
auburnchick,,,,Unwind is still honoring frequent buyer cards from the yarn garden. I use mine still when I go home to visit family.....

Very cool! Thanks for the tip!

:muah:

Deeknit
03-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Hey guys, just went to Unwind in Fort Walton this yesterday. She is just getting really nice stuff in. I had not been since Thanksgiving. She has more Tili Thomas, some Ironstone yearns, Euroflax and she is also carrying Noro.

Finished off my first Yarn Garden card and started my Knotty Knitters card. Earned my $20 off my next purchase.

She also has lots of beautify Lattern Moon needles, addi and Chicao (sp?) straights and circs.

I got a copy of No Sheep for Ewe and it is really fun to read and helpful reference for non wool yarns.

Anna ( a worker in the store) showed me the Berroco Glace on sale ~(40%) and said owner was getting ready for market.

I'm still up if you North Florida girls want to plan a Friday in Tallahassee, I will be your personal tour guide of all 3 shops. If anyone is interested, I'll start planning a weekend in May possibly.

auburnchick
03-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Ooooohhhhhh.....don't tempt me!!!!!

Maybe after school gets out?!

Debbie
04-04-2007, 06:02 AM
My knitting guild sponsors this all day event .... it is SOOOOO fun! And ... someone there can help you learn to spin ... wheel or spindle ... figure out a pattern ... learn a new stitch. These ladies are wonderful and always willing to share and teach ! There is always good stuff on the stash reduction sale table and several ladies bring stitch markers, jewelry and other cool stuff! I would love to meet some Florida KHers!

The Knit or Knot Guild of Orlando invites you to
Our Second Annual
Knit and Spin Because We Can Day

Saturday, May 5, 2007

10am to 4pm

First Baptist Church of Oviedo
45 West Broadway Street
Oviedo, FL 32765

Come join us for a great day of fun, knitting, spinning, sharing and learning! Bring a sack lunch and a reusable mug, snacks and drinks will be provided!

• Show ‘n Share• Knitting/Spinning Instruction
(Drop spindle kits available for a nominal fee – learn to spin TODAY!)
• Trade Table
(Yarn or other supplies that you don’t want but want to find a good home? Bring them along!)
• For Sale Table
(Label items with your name and sale price)
• Yankee Swap
(A few balls of a special yarn, a pattern book or two, some roving… Think something YOU would love to receive – Wrap it up (a paper bag works just fine – nothing see through) and we’ll do an exchange! Tons of fun, go home with something new to inspire you!)

For Questions, Additional Information, or to RSVP, contact Georgia georgia@geoknits.com or Jody lana07@earthlink.net

Deeknit
04-05-2007, 05:05 AM
WAH!!! Debbie, I want to live near Orlando. That sounds like lots of fun!!!!

If anyone is near Tallahassee, this is Friday is the monthly First Friday Gallery Hop and Really Knit Stuff in Rail Road Square Art Park is open til 10pm. It's lots of fun, spinning demo, folks knitting, folks walking around looking at the art galleries. Wooly Bully is also right around the corner and sometime she stays open late too.

FloridaGirl
05-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey from North Florida! Good to meet y'all!

BostonBecca
07-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Anyone have any info on Sarasota yarn shops? I'm going down for a family reunion of sorts and want to sneak away a bit to check out the yarn stores but none of them have websites! I have found their addresses and names, but any I should see for sure?

boyforpele13
07-24-2007, 12:41 AM
hey! i'm late in the game (for a change!) Tampa Bay area of Florida here, but travel to the East coast as well. Originally from Long Island, New York. :)

Debbie
07-26-2007, 06:42 AM
http://www.e-offinger.net/needlework/images/needleworklogo.gif

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions .... there are about 5 classes I would like to take .... but .... then when would I shop ... not to mention the $$$$ ...

http://www.e-offinger.net/needlework/classes.cfm

Is anyone planning to come to Orlando for this??? Let's "meet up" for lunch or something !!!!!!!!!

knitncook
08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Another panhandle Floridian here (P'cola) I'm actually a native, too. Although I have lived all over the globe (Spain, Japan, England) and the US (Colorado, Alabama, California, Oregon). We've got one LYS here and while it functions, I wish we had an alternative to the big box craft stores and the internet. I've yet to find my "knitting tribe."

fl_knittingknut
09-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey Floridians........I am from the Marianna are.......I thought I was all alone here.........Diane FL

Annasta111
09-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Another Floridian..... Actually in Jacksonville out by the beaches. Thank god for air conditioning or I have no clue how I would knit!!!! Now to actually WEAR the stuff?? HAHAHAHAHA I just turn down the air enough and pretend its cold out... heehee Hi all......

dagny
09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm a Virginian for now but I'll be joining all of you South Floridians very soon. We're moving to the Miami area before the end of the year :happydance:

mommydearest
09-11-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm in Southwest Florida - Cape Coral. I've tried knitting outside during swim practice - doesn't work too well - inside is much better. Anyone else close by want to knit together? I'm fairly new to knitting (again) and have actually finished some easy projects. I'm looking forward to meeting other knitters.

sheknitzalot
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Hello Everyone! I am in Debary (just north of Sanford about 25 miles NE of Orlando about 3 miles west of I-4) ... we had a small group that tried to get together in West Volusia County but there were really not enough dedicated serious knitters ... I would love to find a group nearby ... Any suggestions?

I have been knitting for about 10 years and because of the weather I am a BIG felter ... right now I have 3 bags OTN for Xmas presents and have done about 30 dishcloths for Xmas baskets ...

I am glad to have found you!!!!!!

Looking forward to making lots of KnitFriends ...

Happy Knitting!!

Cin

mommydearest
11-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating today.

I have to say I'm thankful for knitting and everyone here at KH, I think it has helped to save my sanity :grphug:

If any of you other Floridians (native or transplants) want to get together for a day maybe we could work on getting together at a library or something.

If interested send PM or post here.

Mary

photolady
12-09-2007, 04:43 PM

I've lived in Jacksonville all my life. This town sure has changed. I think the Mayor let his greed get away with him, cause all the new highways and roads, the strip malls, the bulldozing of the trees, has changed the face of good old Jacksonville forever.

I was here before Regency Square mall was ever built. We used to go to the sandunes and target practice.

Debbie
12-09-2007, 05:13 PM
photolady .... did you know that ... next weekend ...
http://store.knitwitzinc.com/classes.html

ANNIE MODESITT TO VISIT KNITWITZ! Next weekend.... the only weekend I absoutly can not leave town. If you get to go I will be really jealous!

knitmama
12-21-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm one of the few FL natives, born and raised here in Daytona Beach. Thanks to this site I finally learned how to knit a few weeks ago. Now to find a lys and a few FL friendly patterns.:)

Knit Princess
12-30-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm in Tampa, FL area and have just had my first year knitting anniversary! I taught my aunt to knit this summer, but she's the only other person I know in FL that knits. I"m so grateful to have found KH!! Does anyone know of any knitting groups that meet in Tampa?

erikalee
01-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Jacksonville, FL here. Not born and raised as my dad was Air Force, but I'm from here anyway, 3rd Generation. =)

LoriZubie
01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Jacksonville, FL here. Not born and raised as my dad was Air Force, but I'm from here anyway, 3rd Generation. =)
I'm in Jacksonville too! HI!:waving: :clink:

birdwomn
01-19-2008, 12:45 PM
There are several knitting groups that meet in the Tampa area. Check out this yahoo group for more info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BandNKnitters/

BTW: I'm in Pinellas County! Welcome!

cvcraven
02-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Hello all you other Floridians! I'm in Orange Park, FL which is just southwest of Jacksonville.

Don't you love knitting in Florida? Sometimes it gets cool enough so that I can actually think about wearing the sweaters I've knit. Sometimes I even wear socks.
:hot:

WOW! I can't believe I found someone so close! I'm in Middleburg, right outside of Orange Park! :happydance:

cvcraven
02-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I just realized that there are a lot if Jacksonville knitters here! That's so great!

NegativeClock
02-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Florida native here from the Coral Springs area (North Broward County.)

Anyone around? :balloons:

auburnchick
02-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Oh wow! I moved from Coral Springs almost six years ago!!! It's such a beautiful place!! I truly miss it. I'm in north FL now.

NegativeClock
02-17-2008, 03:06 AM
Oh wow! I moved from Coral Springs almost six years ago!!! It's such a beautiful place!! I truly miss it. I'm in north FL now.

Oh yeah? Where around were you? I'm 'round wiles and sr7, if you remember the place. :wink:

auburnchick
02-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Of course I remember the place! I lived in the subdivision across the street from North Community Park (caty-corner from Country Hills Elementary). My children went to Country Hills and Eagle Ridge. I used to take them to the slide and glide (Betty Stradling Park) all the time!

It's a beautiful community -- laid out so nicely. I moved to a smaller place that had poor city planning. It was a bit of a shock, but I've adjusted.

We occasionally go down there for soccer tournaments. Whenever we do, we always make sure to eat at Pasquale's. They had the best food!

:::::sigh:::::::

NegativeClock
02-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Of course I remember the place! I lived in the subdivision across the street from North Community Park (caty-corner from Country Hills Elementary). My children went to Country Hills and Eagle Ridge. I used to take them to the slide and glide (Betty Stradling Park) all the time!

It's a beautiful community -- laid out so nicely. I moved to a smaller place that had poor city planning. It was a bit of a shock, but I've adjusted.

We occasionally go down there for soccer tournaments. Whenever we do, we always make sure to eat at Pasquale's. They had the best food!

:::::sigh:::::::

Pasquale's? Oh man, I'm definitely a Pizza Carousel man. There's no better in Coral Springs.

knitternut
02-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Any knitters for the Space Coast Area?? Would love to get together with other knitters on the island or beaches area.

mf18kgold
03-14-2008, 07:17 AM
i am looking for knitters and spinners here in the west palm beach area of florida. i am an experience knitter but a newbie spinner, would like to join others

lynnknitwit
03-17-2008, 08:49 AM
:knitting: We "bought a piece of swampland in Florida". LOVE LIVING HERE!!! I teach knitting at American Cancer Society Hope Lodge( temp.residence for cancer pts. &caregivers) I am Desperate for sz 17 needles(9_10")OR Circular. Also 7&above ,ST. or Circ. 1st Project is Fancy Fur funky boa- like scarf.Everybody learns(some after special KNIT911 Session) Results are AMAZING. Patients are overwhelmemed by their new skill and Fab results. Any needle Donations??? Lynn Zuckerman, Project Knitwits, ACS Hope Lodge, 12810 Magnolia Dr, Tampa,l. 33612. Thanks from the bottom of my everknitten" heart,Lynn

grandmaknit
03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Any Tequesta knitters??? Sleepy little Village of Tequesta is near Jupiter, north of West Palm Beach but still in Palm Beach County. Anyone out there?

InterNette
04-15-2008, 11:17 PM
I am in Naples. I am not sure the location because it was just changed but there is a group that meets weds from 630 till 9pm. I will have to get the correct info for those interested. There is a local shop here in Naples, and Venice has a wonderful shop with a great selection of yarns, there is also a nice shop opened in Punta Gorda that is next to a quilting store. I believe they are on 10th ave. I like finding new places. I did hear a rumor on a new place in ft myers and one of my knitting friends is getting me a phone number and an address.

cvcraven
04-22-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm considering taking a knitting class at the Joann's in Orange Park. Anyone nearby? :)

InterNette
08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I am heading to St. Pete for 2 days and wanted to know if there are any great knitting shops I should visit or some in nearby town I might want to check out? I need a nice yarn stimulating event to get some new project flowing.

MrsArias
09-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I just moved to Crystal River from Miami. It's a great big change for me. There is only one rather odd knitting store near here, Tampa is sort of close. Where does everyone go? Help, my stash is shrinking. It seems this place is over-run with quilters.

latimerl
02-20-2009, 10:59 PM
I :heart: this new thread!

Wool and 97 degrees + humidity may not seem like the ideal knitthing environment (unless of course you consider the felting opportunity), but I've found plenty of knitting fanactics here in Sunny South Florida! Granted many of them are north east US transplants, but they are Florida knitters now!

Hi Jamaica,
I too live in South Florida (Parkland in Broward). Just getting back into knitting again. In the past, I have made all kinds of things. Now I am finding it fasinating to research knitting on the Internet (I am showing my age).
Are there other South Floridians who have surfaced? Exactly where do you live?

Olgui
11-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Latimerl & Jamadian75,

Add another South Floridian to your group! I am a beginner, though. I just taught myself to knit a week ago. I am working on a scarf for my husband . . . that he can only use if he goes on a business trip up north.

I am in Tamarac, Florida.

HotandSunny
11-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi,
I'm a brand new member here and wonder if anyone is from the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area and would like to start a knitting club or guild or foum whereby we can share knitting talk and tips. I have been a (left) hand knitter and crocheter for many years and just ordered my first knitting machine yesterday.
It would be great to get together with like minded people.
My phone number is 239-542-7566. Karen

tiana
03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm a native Floridian - 7 generations (one of the few I know..)

I am very crafty, but just starting out trying knitting. Anybody got any pointers for a lefty newbie?

Thanks! :)

Debbie
03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Tiana, are you in or near Orlando? The Knit or Knot guild meets at Joann's on Colonial the second Wednesday of the month. Our next meeting is tomorrow night at 7:30 (March 10) It is a wonderful group and we love newbies. I joined the group as a newbie about 5 years ago and they are a wonderful, fun, very helpful friends.
http://knittingorlando.com/ We would love to have you join us if you live close enough!

tiana
03-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks - I'm only about 30 minutes away from there!! Can't come tonight, but will try for next month. I learned how to make the chain from watching videos last night :-)

Debbie
03-10-2010, 09:04 AM
The April Meeting is on Wed. the 14th ! We meet in the classroom at the back of the store. Hope to see you there!

peacefuljeffrey
03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi, I'm here in West Palm Beach. I'm a New York transplant as well. (My heart is really still in the Northeast, actually, even after these 13 years in Florida, but what can ya do?)

My current project is a simple baby blanket for my brother's infant son. I began it before the birth, but didn't finish in time as I had hoped. Now the baby is several months old, actually, and I have work left to do to finish the blanket, but other stresses in my life at present have kept me from working on it. I hope to return to it (maybe next week) and get it up to my brother on Nantucket soon. It really needs just a few nights of steady work, but each row is 97 stitches of seed stitch (k1p1) with a garter stitch border, so progress is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.

FLLee
04-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Florida native here! Born and raised in Coral Gables...part of Miami for you non-natives. Living in Indialantic now which is the beachside of Melbourne.....central FL on the east coast near where they shoot the space shuttle.

CivicSista
04-05-2010, 06:13 PM
We have a Thursday morning knitting group that meets in Titusville. We are a fun group!

debegar
05-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Try knitting toys when its hot. There are some cute patterns at ETSY (I just purchased-3 for ten$) by cheezombie. Maybe give them to kids at homeless shelter or something similar. I,m working on the Garden Slug...So cool.

nancyanna
05-14-2011, 09:45 PM
LONGWOOD here. Just started spindle work. Tryin to get the "hang" of it, lol.

Nursyknitter
08-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Multigeneration Floridian on the Treasure Coast.
Had the darndest time finding someone to teach me to knit in FL. Finally found a wonderful group of women retired from Canada. With a little imagination there are lots of things to knit here in Fl. Who says you can only make scarves and mittens? :)

MomoKnits
10-03-2011, 11:29 PM
West Palm here, a NY transplant back about 5 years ago. Oh how time flies.

I tend to not knit when it's too hot. But I'm looking forward to the colder weather!

rlesgal
11-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Now in Freeport! Transplanted from Ocala, via Winter Park originally from CT.
We own a small fabric store with heavy emphasis on YARN! :woohoo:

Hope to help, get help and share alot here.

teacherknit
11-28-2011, 12:05 AM
I live in St. Petersburg , Fl....a transplant though

cindiluhu4u
12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Hello from Orlando! I'm not a native. I'm originally from Minnesota.