PDA

View Full Version : Monogamus Knitting

Deeknit
10-28-2006, 02:18 PM
You know, finishing one project before starting another. Or actually finishing something....
I'm struggling with finishing my nephew's sweater.(See link below) It a really cool Plymouth Jelly Beans Red with flecks of bright colors, but I'm ready to be done and still have a ways to go.

How do you folks out there keep motivated to finish a project or finish it quickly?

Deeknit

phisch
10-28-2006, 02:27 PM
I've not been knitting very long but I try very hard to only work on one project at a time. So far, semi successful. I am trying to learn how to do socks but I have another pattern I've paused on because I keep forgetting to buy materials to finish (it's a knit cat and it needs stuffing and felt for a nose).

I do have a stash, but so far it's just extra/leftovers from other projects.

Jax3303
10-28-2006, 02:32 PM
If I was a monogamous knitter, I would get bored and never finish anything. I have to have a few projects going at at a time so I can pick up something else to knit when I get bored of the same yarn for so long. I do try to limit it to 5 WIP's at a time though....my WIP's were starting to take over the house.

Nikki
10-28-2006, 02:47 PM
I gave up monogamy a good while ago. I always have a sock for traveling, plus other things to keep my attention. Right now I play with the Gnomes, have a grandchild's sweater when I feel like mindless st. stitich and a book of toys to knit to look through. I couldn't have just one thing going, it would drive me to distraction.

cozy
10-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Right now, I have 2 WIPs; I had 4 a couple of days ago. I feel kind of stressed when I have too much going on, but on the other hand, I have quite a few FO's around the same time, too.

rebecca
10-28-2006, 03:37 PM
I am the queen of monagamous knitting, LOL! Just ask Mama Bear :wink:
I tried having several projects OTN at one time over the summer just to see why so many knitters knit that way, well, it drove me crazy! I felt like I wasn't finishing a thing!
I've recently tried having my 1 major project and a pair of socks for knitting when I'm out and that worked out okay, although I carried around boring man socks because I didn't want to carry a chart or anything for lace knitting.
In the past when I've beome bored with a large project I find that setting it aside for a day or two to knit something quick for instant satisfaction helped me.

suzeeq
10-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Heh. I think you're either wired for one at a time, or you're not. I'm not.

sue

Momma_Jo
10-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I only knit things I'd DIE to wear, that surely helps. I don't feel like spending time on something else when I have some FABULOUS sweater that only needs a few more hours to complete. :teehee:
To battle boredom, I try to alternate between knitting several parts of the same item. E.g., for my current sweater I alternate between knitting the bodice and the sleeves - they are of slightly different patterns. Or, if that's not an option, I take a breather by trying out the yarn for my next must-do project by knitting swatches to check the gauge.

suzeeq
10-28-2006, 06:35 PM
My gauge swatches for the next pattern generally turn into an FO eventually. After I've `tried out' about three other projects.... :roflhard:

sue

itsazoo
10-28-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm still a newbie and I became a non-monagomist (polygamist?) knitter when I found myself stuck with a pattern but still wanting to be knitting. So I started another project (then got stuck with that and a vicious cycle began).

One day I will have the knowlege to actually finish a project. And I imagine that will feel pretty good!

nonny2t
10-28-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't only have one project going. I usually have 2-3 and switch them out when I get bored. I make sure I leave myself plenty of time if it is supposed to be a gift for someone so I don't get stressed about finishing it on time. I am doing a sweater for my 6 1/2 grandson and one way I seem to stay on task is to turn on the tv to something I want to watch or to XM radio (we have direct tv and it is part of that.) I sat and watched the Charlie Brown Halloween program (took me back to my Jr High years) and then Las Vegas, which is my favorite program and I have been looking forward to since the end of last season. I can't knit and watch tv at the same time like many experienced knitters do, but I do watch and knit and watch and knit so it goes pretty fast. I suggest trying to multi task like that while you knit and see if it helps to keep you from getting bored.

Faye

CarmenIbanez
10-28-2006, 09:49 PM
I am a recovering monogamist. I used to be a strictly one project girl. But lately I have allowed myself to have up to three things going at once to fight boredom.

HamburgKnitter
10-29-2006, 06:07 AM
I'm on my second-ever project (scarf #2, for DH), but while I'm sitting there knitting this never-ending scarf I feel my eyes & thoughts wandering over to the basket where my pathetic attempt of knitting a hat on DPNS is sitting, taunting me.

So I have the feeling I won't be a monogamous knitter forever. But I really do plan on getting the scarf done first, because it's getting colder by the day here and I want DH to be able to wear his scarf if he needs it. I'm making him the scrunchable scarf in dark burgundy and it looks very good so far.

Oh, and on Tuesdays here we get Desperate Housewives followed by Grey's Anatomy - that's my TV night. And you can SO see Tuesday night's knitting on my first scarf! :oops:

AnotherBecca
10-29-2006, 07:38 AM
I have lots of projects started, but they've been sitting in my drawer for so long I have no idea what they were intended to be. So my next project will be frogging and re-rolling the yarn from them so I can use it for something else! One project that was nicely consolidated into a tote bag is still a go--a baby blanket that I put down about a year ago and just now picked back up. I have quite a few non-knitting projects that I can turn to when I get bored of my blanket, so I'm gonna try for a while to just stick to one knitting project for a while!

RachelJean
10-29-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm an addicted sock knitter, so I almost always have a pair of socks in the works. Sometimes I will also have a larger project on needles at the same time. Currently I'm working on a lace shawl, but I also have a pair of socks going just to have something small and easy to work on. Lace requires a lot of concentration, so I don't want to work on it when I might get interrupted. I don't think I could handle having more than two projects at a time.

cgd
10-29-2006, 11:28 PM
My goodness, I'm a yarn ho! I'm not even faithful to knitting--I love to crochet also! Perhaps I should knit myself a sweater, then crochet a big lacy scarlet A on it . . . I usually have 2-3 WIPs at one time, though I've been good about finishing Christmas gifts lately. My crocheted afghan is on the back burner for now, but that's it.

Rorshach
10-30-2006, 03:07 AM
OT: Monogamy: same as polygamy, one spouse too many. :roflhard:

rebecca
10-30-2006, 11:38 AM
My goodness, I'm a yarn ho!

LOL, then you might like this http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20a%20new%20year%20in%20KNITTING/th_DSCN2324.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20a%20new%20year%20in%20KNITTING/DSCN2324.jpg)

Eloewien
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I could never work on only one project. I actually feel bad when I think about how many projects I have OTNS....

4 scarves... 3 sweaters... a pair of socks... a Patons SWS pillow... soon to add a lacework shawl to the mix. One sweater is near finished, one about halfway and the third just started. Three of the four scarves are nearly finished (tho once I get those done, I have 4 more to make). I enjoy jumping between projects!

nikic
10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
I thought that way too at first but now I have so many going!

I don't like it though. I think I'm going to try to narrow it down to 1-2 projects. :teehee:

Rorshach
10-30-2006, 12:15 PM
So, if all you gals are Yarn Ho's, does that mean that us male knitters are Yarn Pimps?

cgd
10-30-2006, 10:26 PM
My goodness, I'm a yarn ho!

LOL, then you might like this http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20a%20new%20year%20in%20KNITTING/th_DSCN2324.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20a%20new%20year%20in%20KNITTING/DSCN2324.jpg)

Oh, do send me that design!!