PDA

View Full Version : OT: A Leaf Blower!!!

10-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Okay, so I'm sitting here at my computer reading the latest posts on KH and what to my wondering ears do I hear?? But the horrible sound of a leaf blower across the street!

Now, you may be asking yourself, what's the big deal?? Well for starters that is one of the most horrible sounds on earth, the motor I mean. And the real kicker...

the wind is blowing at a strong 35 miles per hour!!! With gusts to 50!!

:wall: :wall:

I. Don't. Understand. :roll:

Ingrid
10-29-2006, 12:22 PM
The man of the house is out blowing the leaves so he won't have to do anything in the house. This way he can wipe his weary brow, throw himself down on the couch and complain about all the 'yardwork' he did that day. :teehee:

Jan in CA
10-29-2006, 12:52 PM
I'll tell you one thing I hate about them... they blow all the crappy bermuda seed all over the place and now our beautiful lawn is ruined...again! Ugh. :wall:

stitchwitch
10-29-2006, 02:13 PM
At my last house the neighbor who backed up to the lake paved his entire yard with concrete except for a 10X10 patch of grass. His whole lot was concrete and he spent every day using his leaf blower to "clean" it. It would go on for hours and hours. He was one of the reasons we decided to sell, imagine hearing that sound all day long, every day for two years! :grrr:

10-29-2006, 03:04 PM
At my last house the neighbor who backed up to the lake paved his entire yard with concrete except for a 10X10 patch of grass. His whole lot was concrete and he spent every day using his leaf blower to "clean" it. It would go on for hours and hours. He was one of the reasons we decided to sell, imagine hearing that sound all day long, every day for two years! :grrr:

That machine should be illegal, EVERYWHERE. Or at least put a damn muffler on it to quiet it down.

Pardon the language, but it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. :gah:

Rorshach
10-29-2006, 03:40 PM
I had a leaf blower once, until I tore the motor out and put it in a go cart for the neighborhood kids.
:teehee:

CarmenIbanez
10-29-2006, 04:09 PM
They outlawed them for awhile in LA, but it didn't last.

stitchwitch
10-29-2006, 04:51 PM
I had a leaf blower once, until I tore the motor out and put it in a go cart for the neighborhood kids.
:teehee:

Sweet!!!

nonny2t
10-29-2006, 05:11 PM
As one who USES a leaf blower I have a point of view too. I do not do it early in the morning, I don't impede on someone elses property, I just do it to get rid of the darn stuff that blows onto MY deck from other yards and THEIR trees. You may not like the sound and it may irritate you the way your neighbors use it, but if I didn't have one I would have to SWEEP the whole thing at least 3 times a week and that just ain't a gonna happen!

figaro
10-29-2006, 05:21 PM
We have a shopvac/blower combo that I use alot. Since we are trying to sell our house in this VERY SLOW market, I use the electric blower to get all the leaves off of our backyard patio into our yard. Or to clean the garage some but it all goes into the driveway. And we also only use it in the middle of the day.

Ingrid
10-29-2006, 05:45 PM
I used mine last weekend for a few hours. With all the trees around, I had to for my deck. I wouldn't use it early in the day, either, and my only neighbor's hobby seems to be weed-wacking, so I figure that we're even. I wouldn't bother on a windy day, though. :shrug:

sittenknitten
10-29-2006, 06:32 PM
I *love* getting rid of leaves on windy days! :heart:

It's still too early, but one day in the next few weeks when all the apple trees have lost their leaves, I'll take advantage of a good stiff wind (we typically get 30 MPH winds whenever it's windy, part of living in the mountains) and use the lawnmower to mow in the orchard one last time. I only mow with the discharge chute downwind, and by the time I'm done all of those darned leaves have been blown out into the pasture. It's so much easier than raking the entire thing by hand and then moving them via tarp to the burn pile. I do the same thing with the leaf blower in the yard: start at the farthest corner that's upwind and blow them all *with* the wind to the fence on the other side. Then I can let them sit until the next morning (when we almost always have a calm period) and rake them into a tarp to drag away.

I will say that I never use that thing before 10 AM on a week day or noon on the weekends out of courtesy to the neighbors. We use a lot of noisy tools here, though, so we also try to be considerate with the log splitter, the chain saw, the weed whacker, and even DH's truck (a diesel pickup that is probably as loud as the leaf blower, but in a more rumbly, less ear-splitting way.) Now if only the neighbors with the hounds could keep them quiet during summer nights :teehee:

stitchwitch
10-29-2006, 06:53 PM
It must be a "northern" thing. We don't generally lose leaves here so there's no need to use a blower unless you're blowing the cut grass off of the sidewalk and then it should only take a few minutes. I can see using one, but not if you're just blowing the leaves around the yard for them to return with the next breeze, that just sounds stupid. :roflhard:

10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry to everyone who defended these horrendous contraptions, but LEAFBLOWERS SUCK!!!!

There's no getting around it. We live in CT and we have billions (slight exaggeration :teehee: ) of trees which equals trillions of leaves. We don't have a leafblower and our lives have gone on just fine. Hubby just mowes them up with the lawn mower and we're good to go!!

I should start a petition out here to get them banned. (scratching chin) hmmm, not a bad idea, Cath, not a bad idea. :twisted:

Besides, doesn't sweeping burn up calories??? :rofl: I need to sweep more. :roflhard:

Ingrid
10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
I get at least a foot of leaves on the deck. I blow them out onto the lawn and lo and behold, by spring they're gone!! Isn't nature amazing?

10-29-2006, 10:15 PM
I wish I could go back to my childhood when we'd go to my grandma's house and rake her leaves and do the Run & Jump!! Amazing how dumb it is but it was so much fun.

Ahhhh, the good ole' days.

figaro
10-29-2006, 11:36 PM
I agree somewhat with you doglover. I think that is why I use it as little as possible but there are worse things than a leafblower. For example, I would trade you one leafblower for one electric grass trimmer that sound like the dentist's drill, and he takes his time! :wall: Then there is the gardner who tries to fix what ever is wrong with his working lawnmower inbetween our houses so it echos and he ignores me when I yell at him to shut it off!

SandraEllen
10-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Think about it. The gas leaf blower is the equivalent of the gas lawn mower. They had perfectly capable motorless (reel type) lawn mowers before they had gas powered ones.

If people can use lawn mowers, they can use leaf blowers.

:rofl:

Stonington
10-31-2006, 01:50 PM
:oops: a leaf blower is on the "Lowes" list for this weekend. We spent an entire day just raking and removing the leaves from the front lawn, after the high winds and rain this past weekend it looks like we never touched it lol. I love Oak trees but wow! We won't have to worry about bugging the neighbors they have one to! :teehee:

anne
n. sebago, ME

10-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Oh my, I never meant to offend anyone who has a leafblower. My main question was what's the point of using one (aside from the fact that they are annoying) when the wind is blowing 50 mph??

That's all. Sorry if anyone took what I said seriously enough to bother them. It's just a leafblower, that's all. Nothing personal.

All I would like is these darn yard 'appliances' to have mufflers put on them. That includes a lawnmower. :wink: See I'm not biased against leafblowers. :rofl:

(I originally put YARN APPLIANCES!) :roflhard: :roflhard:

KNITTING ON THE BRAIN. :heart: