PDA

View Full Version : Cat Sweater Pattern

primordialsoup564
10-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi I am new to the site and have been looking around a little. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good cat sweater patterns or a small dog pattern that might be converted into a cat sweater. I know my surly cat would just love to be humiliated in such a way.

CarmenIbanez
10-29-2006, 04:15 PM
This (www.redlipstick.net/knit/chihswe.html) is one of my favorite dog sweater patterns. It will fit a chihuahua, so you should be able to adapt it to your cat. I have made it several times, let me know if you have questions!

Momma_Jo
10-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Just a comment from an owner of 3 cats: the lack of cat sweaters out there is for a reason - cats HATE wearing stuff. My vet wouldn't even put a bandage around my 2nd kitten's tummy after her surgery because he said cats can't tolerate that, they think they can't walk and drop on the floor for some reason. Even without knowing that, one look at my cats and I know the sweater will be ripped off and (at best) ripped to shreds or (at worst) frogged and devoured. I'm speaking from experience, since I just pulled like 3 feet of yarn out of my 4-month old kitten's mouth this weekend (covered in bile and all).

CarmenIbanez
10-30-2006, 05:48 PM
I had a cat who loved sweaters. :shrug:

stitchwitch
10-30-2006, 07:23 PM
My cat would kill me in my sleep if I put a sweater on her, she won't even let me put a blanket over her when it's cold. One Christmas I had a cute little red velvet collar I wanted her to wear for a picture. She acted like it was choking her and fell to the ground stiff. :roflhard:

primordialsoup564
11-02-2006, 10:47 PM
My cats are pretty docile and I know at least one of them won't mind if I put a sweater on her (shes had one on before). But I've had a few other cats that probably would have hated wearing things. But my house gets really cold at night and I like the idea of them having a little extra warmth.

humblestumble
11-03-2006, 12:25 AM
my cat loves to be inside things, so I am sure she would love to wear something lol I think it just depends on the cat

HamburgKnitter
11-04-2006, 05:57 AM
My cats are pretty docile and I know at least one of them won't mind if I put a sweater on her (shes had one on before). But I've had a few other cats that probably would have hated wearing things. But my house gets really cold at night and I like the idea of them having a little extra warmth.

I wouldn't advise leaving a sweater on a cat unsupervised. If they try to get them off at night then they might end up eating a whole lot of yarn or getting it wrapped around their necks, etc. Cats can easily ingest yarn or string because their tastebuds face in, meaning that string can get "caught" on them and work their way to the back of their throats to then be swallowed.

primordialsoup564
11-10-2006, 09:22 PM
well since my bubble has been sufficantly burst I guess I'll just go back to making hats.