PDA

View Full Version : Guilty: need support/opinions about what I did

noejusti
10-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Ok,
So maybe I felt a little ill that day--- or not. I really didn't want to go to work. So I called out of work and stayed home knitting all day. I got quite a bit of knitting work done and I felt a lot better. Has anyone else done this? Should I feel bad that I played hooky from work so that I could knit? Am I a bad person? (well, I don't think I am a bad person, but I still feel a little guilty)

CarmenIbanez
10-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Everyone needs a mental health day once in awhile. When I take them, I just make sure that my being out doesn't negatively affect anyone else. And I try not to do it too often.

Jan in CA
10-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Everyone needs a mental health day once in awhile.

Exactly what I was going to say. Don't sweat it! As long as you don't do it too often there shouldn't be a problem. :heart:

stitchwitch
10-29-2006, 04:49 PM
I've taken a mental health day or two off in my life. One thing I've learned and it might sound bad but you are only an employee, unless somebody is going to die without you, your sanity comes first. I've found most employers are not thankful for workers who come in early, stay late or never take a sick day, they're treated the same as the slackers if not worse. Hope you enjoyed your day, I'm sure you deserved it!! :muah:

noejusti
10-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Thank you for your support. I don't plan on doing that again for a long time, but it did feel good just to be selfish for one day and take the day for myself.

nonny2t
10-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Good grief, no! Every once in awhile work just catches up and we need a day off so you call in. It isn't like you skipped to Vegas or something, so don't sweat it!

Quiltlady
10-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Sick day, personal day..which ever it was you should have enjoyed it. YOu earned it.

snowbear
10-29-2006, 06:56 PM
It is nothing worse than really being sick and going to work.. and spreading germs..etc. Staying home when you mentally need a day to knit, unwind, regroup..etc.. is a good thing. But any good thing can go to far... by taking that day.. relax, enjoy the joy it gave you and use that positive to make the next day better. Don't feel guilty.. or you'll ruin the good you received.

:hug:

Old Knitter
10-29-2006, 07:03 PM
I like the way snowbear expressed it...that's exactly how I feel.

losnana
10-29-2006, 07:48 PM
And as an employer I agree!!! I'm sure when yu returned to work, you were much more productive than you would have been otherwise. Who said sick days are only for the physically sick?!

10-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey, Life's short. Play hard. :rofl: I'm sorry but I just had to say that.

But seriously life is way to short. You need to do those things once in a while. And the fact that you feel guilty only shows that you are a good hard working person who SHOULD have taken that day off. I'm sure you have some days coming to you anyway, who cares what you do with them!!

cozy
10-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Good for you. Some people don't place much value on mental healthiness, but it is so important. I agree that if you do it only rarely, then it's OK.

JLC
10-30-2006, 09:56 AM
I agree, everyone needs a mental health day now and again. :happydance:

Eloewien
10-30-2006, 11:50 AM
I know I'm getting to that point... I haven't had a chance to take vacation time in almost a year. However, I have a 9 days next month and 10 days in December- that's LOTS of knitting time!!

letah75
10-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I took one last Wednesday!!!

It's been slow at work, and of course the one day I took off was busy...I felt guilty for a minute, (or two), but i really needed it. When I got back the next day i felt so much better!!!!! I really needed it, and I am all about mental health days.

In fact last year I told my boss I needed a mental health hour and I had to leave early. He laughed at me, and told me to go ahead.

Quiara
10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
People joke about mental health days like they're less important than any other sort of health days, but they're just as important and even more important when you consider that your mental health has a huge impact on your physical health. When you really need one, you have nothing to be sorry for.

(Training to be a counseling therapist; I get a little outspoken about mental health. . . )