PDA

View Full Version : detroit area knitters

XbelovedXoneX
10-29-2006, 09:53 PM
I figured it couldn't hurt to start a thread for any detroit area knitters...so who's in the area? I live in Clinton Township myself... that's about 20 minutes north of Downtown Detroit.

SandraEllen
10-30-2006, 08:15 AM
:waving: I'm in Garden City. Probably about 15 miles due west of downtown.

Mrs. D.
10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I am very near Detroit. Been crocheting for a while just started knitting and now I am "hooked and needled".

SandraEllen
10-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Yeah!! :cheering: Welcome to the forum!!!

Ronda
10-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm about one hour south of Detroit in Monroe County.

Indylou
11-01-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm in West Bloomfield, about 30 minutes northwest of Detroit.

Does anyone know of any SnB-type groups in the suburban Detroit area? The only group I've heard of so far is in Ann Arbor which is a bit of a hike.

Wendy B.
11-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm in Hillsdale, MI, about 2 1/2 hours southwest of Detroit. Just learning, too -- everything seems to be in Ann Arbor. :)

monzogary
11-02-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm in Brighton, west of Detroit. I meet with others knitters in Ann Arbor every week - its only about 20 miles from me.

XbelovedXoneX
11-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I meet up every wednesday with a group in troy. I know they also meet in dearborn on I think tuesdays? Let me know if you want any more info!

furley
11-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Any idea if I could join the group? I'm from Windsor and I can't seem to find one around here!! I may have to venture to your side of the border to get togther with my fellow SnBers! I posted a new topic for anyone in Windsor, so I will also see what comes of that.

XbelovedXoneX
11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
everyone is welcome! Here's a link to the yahoo group we all talk through: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/detroitareaknitters/

There's a couple different times that people get together. I personally go to the Wednesday meeting in Troy at Caribou Coffee.

Cherinec5
11-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I live in Dearborn and I have no idea if there are any groups and such by me

Jessica
11-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I live in Grand Blanc (near Flint), about an hour and half north of Detroit. Anyone else from around here? Are there any knitting groups up here?

Marni
01-12-2007, 12:35 AM
HI! I'm on the Detroit / Grosse Pointe Park border.

MaryS
01-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi,

I'm in Troy. I've been gone from KH for a while, and it's REALLY nice to be back :happydance: I'll have to give the Troy group a try!

Mary S

Plo0t
02-28-2007, 05:43 AM
Hi! I'm a Detroit area knitter myself! Warren, to be exact.

MaryS
03-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Are any of you going to see Stephanie (Yarn Harlot) in Ann Arbor?

It's Sunday April 1st! Just 11 days.

I think I'll go cast on a sock!!

Mary (in Troy)

Marni
03-24-2007, 11:26 PM
I won't be there cause I'm running a race that day, but what's Stephanie (Yarn Harlot) doing in A2? I must have missed something exciting!

MaryS
03-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi Marni,

Stephanie is on the book tour (yarn crawl) for bookbookbook 4 (SPM Casts Off) in Ann Arbor at the library on April 1st. :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Marni, I :heart: your frog avi - so colorful!

Happy Knitting!

Mary

JGM
05-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm in Clawson...

SandraEllen
05-15-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm in Clawson...

do you know that dentist there? the one that's flossin' in Clawson... :roflhard:

I used to hear that commercial on the radio all the time

JGM
05-16-2007, 08:19 PM
hmmmm....nope, can't say that I do...but then again I've only been here a little over a year

earthchick
06-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey, I just now noticed this thread for the first time!

Anyway, I'm in A2. :muah:

Jessica
06-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I know that dentist in Clawson. I grew up in Royal Oak, then moved to Grand Blanc two and a half years ago. I miss Royal Oak:pout:
My favorite skating rink and where I spent too many friday and saturday nights was in Clawson, Ambassator Roller Rink. I think its a stooooopid funiture store now.:pout:

JGM
06-03-2007, 02:38 PM
I think the furniture store (Leon & Lulu) is a neat thing. They kept a lot of the roller rink things (the floor, skates everywhere, signs) and they have some quirky stuff. I admit though if it had been my favorite hangout I'd be bummed too. :)

rosefields
06-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I live in Clarkston area...northern Oakland County...minutes from Grand Blanc! :muah:

I work in Detroit....1-2 hour drive twice a day:cry:

Knitting is my stress reliever:thumbsup:

pvsduck
06-14-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm in Oakland County. I've been knitting a little over a year. Mostly socks, but have also made a Branching Out scarf and I'm currently working on a simple lace baby afghan.

Roojaz
07-19-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm in Northern Macomb County...I can't find anyone to knit with out here!! (except my mom, and our knitting tastes are a bit different!) But I'd love to find a group my age (27).

dreamsherl
07-19-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm in Oak Park.

JGM
07-20-2007, 05:25 PM
There's a Yahoo group that I'm lurking on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/detroitareaknitters;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaWVkcG9yBF9TAzk3M zU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MDUwODI5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzY zMQRzZWMDaGRyBHNsawNocGgEc3RpbWUDMTE4NDkyNTAyOQ-- I haven't actually posted anything, but they seem pretty active.

SandyJ
09-08-2007, 09:54 PM
I live in st. clair shores and tomorrow is the stitch n pitch at comerica park I will be at the game but not the stitch n pitch section

Marni
09-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Hmm, never heard of stitch n pitch before.... sounds like it could be fun and a great excuse to see a game! Me and a couple friends were down there yesterday, but only for lunch. Looks like the calendar year for sNp is done for the year... so maybe next season.

Suziblues
09-11-2007, 11:29 AM
HI!
I live in Fraser. I was living in Sterling Hgts, but I moved next door to my mother, she needs me to care for her. It's really cool because I have my apartment, and she has her's, and we live next door to each other so I can keep an eye on her but we still have our own 'space'.
(although she is over my apartment ALL day!)

My mother is the one who taught me how to knit. She's knitted some beautiful things in her life, but now she has a hard time because of her illness.

ANYWAY I sure do wish there were some nice yarn shops around here. There are absolutely NONE except for Michaels Store. I think there is one on Hall Rd, quite a drive for me. I wish there was one no more than a couple miles away.

Good to meet other knitters in Michigan,:muah:
sue

cathyj
09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm in Sterling Heights.
Sue, there is Indigo Rose on Van Dyke north of 16 Mile, they just opened a few years ago. Also, in Romeo is a new store, I forget the name, but it's on 32 Mile just west of Main St (Van Dyke). There's also Celeste's Knits in downtown Mt Clemens and Ewe-Nique Knits in Royal Oak on 6th St.

Suziblues
09-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Hey thanks for the info on the yarn stores! I am going to check out the one on Van Dyke & 16 Friday (pay day). The other ones are a little bit too far.....maybe the one in Mt Clemens and the one in Royal Oak.
Actually, on second thought, all of them sound good I may just go yarn store hopping on Friday!
THANK YOU!
Sue

HeatherFeather
09-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm a native...can I come and play here too? We occasionally get home sometimes!!!

My dad used to own the BK next to the roller rink ya'll are talking about, might've gotten my first kiss there (at the rink, not the BK)

So if anybody got a burger in the 80's I probably served it to you!!!

I'm even a bit misty thinking about "home".

Down the street from my MIL is a great yarn shop....It's in Dearborn Hts. Ford and Telegraph on the South side of Ford, across the from the cemetery. NICE shop owner...and fun stuff!!! :)

Jennmarie68
10-03-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm in Hamtramck (actually a city inside of Detroit, for those that aren't familiar.) I grew up in Flint, and still spend time up there since that's where all my family is. I've been knitting for a year or so now. I learned when I was little but I forgot how to do everything (Not that I knew a whole lot) so I'm re-learning I guess you could say.

I do have a question though, I have trouble finding yarn. Does anyone know of a good LYS, preferably not a big chain store as I've discovered that small store usually carry the more "exotic" yarns. I've found that Meijer at Mound and 12 seems to have an ok selection as long as I want to make something little and made out of acryllic yarn. And JoAnns in Madison Heights has a decent selection, but they don't always have what I'm looking for and if they do they don't have enough of it in stock to make what I want. Don't even get me started on Micheals in Madison Heights... Meijer has a better selection. I try not to venture into Detroit, I prefer Warren, Center Line, Roseville and places like that.

Thank you all and I look forward to reading your posts. :-)

Marni
10-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm in Hamtramck [.....
I do have a question though, I have trouble finding yarn. Does anyone know of a good LYS, preferably not a big chain store as I've discovered that small store usually carry the more "exotic" yarns. I've found that Meijer at Mound and 12 seems to have an ok selection as long as I want to make something little and made out of acryllic yarn. And JoAnns in Madison Heights has a decent selection, but they don't always have what I'm looking for and if they do they don't have enough of it in stock to make what I want. Don't even get me started on Micheals in Madison Heights... Meijer has a better selection. I try not to venture into Detroit, I prefer Warren, Center Line, Roseville and places like that......]

I'm in Sterling Heights.
Sue, there is Indigo Rose on Van Dyke north of 16 Mile, they just opened a few years ago. Also, in Romeo is a new store, I forget the name, but it's on 32 Mile just west of Main St (Van Dyke). There's also Celeste's Knits in downtown Mt Clemens and Ewe-Nique Knits in Royal Oak on 6th St.

The only two LYS's I know of are City Knits in the Fischer Building downtown and Wool & the Floss in Grosse Pointe.

jenlee
10-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi I live in warren theres also a lys called have you any wool in berkley past woodward off twelve mile on a street called robina.

mimi24
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm in Oak Park (just north of Detroit). About 15 minutes from downtown Detroit. I too am looking for a group of knitters to "hook" up with. Does anyone know of a group?

sakura-panda
01-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I just wanted to pop in and say Hi!

I'm not really Detroit area -- I'm in Linden, about halfway between Flint and Detroit, and I work in Milford, which is considered Detroit-area, I believe.

My LYS just closed a couple of months ago -- just as I was getting back into working on my knitting and crocheting. (I didn't even know they were closing until I walked into the store!) I found this site while looking for a new yarn source. ;)

I'm surprised to hear there are so many yarn stores in the Detroit area -- I may have to venture down there one day and check some of them out!

MrsAndreazzaKnits
12-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Another "Detroiter" here. I am in the Auburn Hills area. Looking forward to meeting more knitters in the area.

nephnie
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm a detroiter. I love my big ghetto. I'm actually in Roseville, but it's close enough.

mrsblue1
04-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi! I am part of a knitting group that meets at St. Peter Lutheran Church and School on 24 Mile and Romeo Plank. We meet on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm. If you are interested in joining us, we'd be happy to have you. It is a fairly small group and we'd love to expand. We do charity work as well as personal stuff. No snobs here:) I'm a beginner (since Oct) and the ladies have been so nice helping me if I have problems or questions with my technique (or lack thereof). We also warmly welcome crocheters!

nitrous
06-17-2009, 02:49 PM
:waving: I'm in Garden City. Probably about 15 miles due west of downtown.

Hi, I am in Inkster and just joined, sure glad I found you guys I really need help and would also love to chat with other knitters
Sandy