PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Knitters

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Shandeh
02-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Please do, Laura. We really want to meet you! :heart:

Darlene
02-20-2007, 10:38 AM
sorry I missed it. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time. I am so new to knitting I think I would have been intimidated with all of your experience. While I was in Atlanta with my daughter this week end, i did something to my wrist and am in a lot of pain. Looks like I will be putting off working on my grand daughters baby sweater. I hope to be able to get back to joining the pieces soon. this is the pattern I am working on.. it is called,Baby Coat, hat and booties and it is from Knitting on the net. If any of you have time and would like to check it out you are free to give me your advice and suggestions on it. this is the first time I am trying to knit something that is not a scarf. I have the knit and purl down pat, it is the other stitches and the joining and yoke I need help with. Check out the pattern and tell me if you think this is doable for a newbie to knitting. Can't wait to hear you ideas, suggestions or comments.

Darlene

Shandeh
02-20-2007, 12:29 PM
You don't have to be an experienced knitter to have fun with us! We mostly just goof off and talk junk. :teehee:

All are welcome at our get-togethers! :hug:

sop 1
02-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Well hello! :happydance: I am a fifth generation Charlottean!! That is a long time! I have lived elsewhere at times but always seen to drift back. My husband was born here too. I am back in the house I grew up in to boot! Sandy; I think we "talked" once before with regard to music.
Susan the Sop 1 :heart: :note:

Shandeh
02-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Hiya, Susan!! Where have you been hiding?! :tap:

It's high time you came to one of our knit-togethers!! :waving:

I think we might have the same family, because mine has been here forever too. We are actually in Union County, so we're not really Charlotteans. I guess you'd call us "suburbanites". But, we've been here for many generations.

OK "campers", it's time to plan our next get-together. Who wants to pick the location this time? My thoughts are that it would be cool to have a March knit-together at another inside location with a room where we can knit. (I'm planning on bringing my spinning wheel this time for another short fiber demonstration.)

If no one else thinks of anything, we could meet at my church. There are plenty of rooms there available for free, and it's located near the center of Charlotte.

But, some of you may prefer that we meet in another city, which is fine with me. Maybe we could meet in Greensboro or Raleigh this time? If that's the case, then someone in that area will need to tell us where to go.

Any ideas?

Shandeh
02-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey Lestrella!!! Thanks for adding the spinning demonstration photos!! They turned out pretty good! :hug:

Belphoebe
02-20-2007, 06:54 PM
So far, March 10th or 24th works the best for me as far as Saturdays go. Location is up to you all.

Jen

lestrella
02-20-2007, 07:11 PM
:waving: Hi!!

Darlene, I'm sorry about your wrist and I hope you get better soon. Don't ever feel intimidated by our more experienced friends! I'm a new kniter too and I really enjoy meeting with them and learning from them. We have a really nice group of people here.

Where is that pattern that you mentioned? I don't see it anywhere. Whatever it is, just go for it. We'll help you. I'm actually working on my first big project. It's a sleeveless top/sweater with cables in the front. I know I'm going to need help at some point but I'm not worry about it. Once I get there, I'm sure everyone here will be more than willing to help.
That's why we are here, to help each other and make new and lasting friendships. Go for it!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------

sop1 I hope you can make it to our next meeting.

----------------------------------------------------------

Shandeh, your ideas sound great! I'm just concerned about the driving. I don't know where your church is, but if I can drive there without taking I-77 or 277, I'll be ok. I don't want to bother you dropping me off every time we meet. You already do a lot for me and I'm very grateful.

Remember the green yarn you gave me? What kind of yarn is it again? How many yards? I'm looking patterns for a felted bag and just wanted to know if I have enough. If not, what other yarn can I use with it that will be good for felting?

------------------------------------------------------------

lissalue and bear, you guys are quiet. I don't see you posting in your blogs. I know that bear is studying hard ( at least she is trying. It's hard not to get distracted by knitting), but lissalue...what's going on? I hope the kids are not sick and I hope you are not having another one of those weeks.

--------

:muah: :hug: :muah:

ReneeKnits
02-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Hey all you NC knitters! I am from the tarheel state myself but I was drug away to Chicago about 15 years ago.

I head back home every chance I get and take the kids there for the summer. Wilson is my hometown - are any of you from eastern NC?

My MIL lives in Salisbury so I do get to the Charlotte area at least once while I am down there. Please tell my what knitting shops I should visit while in that part of the state. If yall are ever around Wilson you will have to stop by the Knit Whit and tell Barbara hello for me!

Happy knitting!

Shandeh
02-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Shandeh, your ideas sound great! I'm just concerned about the driving. I don't know where your church is, but if I can drive there without taking I-77 or 277, I'll be ok. I don't want to bother you dropping me off every time we meet. You already do a lot for me and I'm very grateful.
My church is located on Central Avenue, just off Eastway Drive. The church has been there for 50 years, but the area around it has changed a bit. It's not the safest part of town, but we'll be safe behind locked doors. I'll take good care of everyone if we go there. (I go there by myself all the time.) No worries. :muah:

Here's the church website:
http://www.memorialumc.net/
And here are directions to the church:
http://www.memorialumc.net/findus.cfm

Remember the green yarn you gave me? What kind of yarn is it again? How many yards? I'm looking patterns for a felted bag and just wanted to know if I have enough. If not, what other yarn can I use with it that will be good for felting?
That is a full skein of Cascade 128 (http://www.cascadeyarns.com/cascade-109.asp), weighing 100 grams, with 128 yards of yarn.
It's a chunky-weight yarn.

lissalue
02-21-2007, 12:15 AM
thanks for missing me lestrella, i am around, but not much. i am not really having one of those weeks, i am just going through some stuff that i don't feel quite ready to share yet, and i have been keeping to myself. i did pm sandy about the next knit-together, and i will see everyone then! hopefully i will be able to post on my blog about everything in a few days. :muah:

lestrella
02-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't know what happened to my message. When I clicked "submit" it just dissapeared.

Anyway, I was saying that March 10th doesnít work for me. Any other Saturday will be fine.

Shandeh, thank you so much for all the info.

Lissalue, Iím glad to hear back from you. Whatever it is that you are going thru, I wish that everything turns out the way you want it. Donít forget that weíll always be here for you.

I went to the library today and checked out a video ďThe Art of Knitting,Ē which Iím watching with.

For some reason Iím really tired today and my neck is still bothering me. Could it be the knitting causing all the pain? I found that straight aluminum needles are harder to work with. I feel very confortable with bamboo and circular needles. What have been your experience?

I hope you all have a great day!
:muah: :hug:

sop 1
02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Hello Charlotte People!
I am keeping up with the thread and would like to get together to knit with you folks but it will probably have to be in April or the summer. My youngest son is getting married in May, in Hilton Head, and we are having a big party here in March. I decided, in my typical way, to tear up a bathroom and re-do it for the party!! The prep work has taken me two weeks as I am dealing with a 58 year old house with plaster walls and layers of painted over wallpaper!! I have a symphony (CSO) concert the end of March and there is always a possibility of extra rehearsals. I am on a music Board at Queens and we have an in-residence group coming in April but all the planning, etc. is going on now too. Phew! I really NEED to sit and knit. I do want to meet everyone so keep me updated and I will join you for a "Camp" as soon as I can breathe. Best to all.
Susan the Sop 1 :muah:

lestrella
02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Welcome Reneeknits!! I am kind of new here and I'm not familiar with eastern NC yet. Let us know when you'll be in Charlotte. Perhaps we can plan a knit together at that time so we can meet you.

----------------------------------------
sop1, you seem to be pretty busy. Well, everything sounds like a lot of fun.

I didn't know you were a musician too. What instrument do you play?

:hug:

sop 1
02-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi Lestrella!
I play the piano at home(used to play clarinet) but I sing in Oratorio Singers(on the Board too) which is the Charlotte Symphony Chorus and also at church (St. Peter's Episcopal)in a small audition choir. I am on the Board of Friends of Music at Queens; a chamber music org. We bring in world class musicians for concerts. Yep; I ususally spread myself pretty thin and knitting makes me sit down for a while!
Sop 1 :muah:

GypsyGirlnNC
02-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey Y'all. I'm in south CLT and would love to join you sometime!

lestrella
02-23-2007, 01:58 PM

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: yeah!!! another knitter in South Charlotte. Welcome!!! I'm in the south area too. How long have you been knitting?

lestrella
02-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi Lestrella!
I play the piano at home(used to play clarinet) but I sing in Oratorio Singers(on the Board too) which is the Charlotte Symphony Chorus and also at church (St. Peter's Episcopal)in a small audition choir. I am on the Board of Friends of Music at Queens;

Wow!! That is a lot of fun!! I'm sure you spend a lot of time rehearsing.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-23-2007, 02:21 PM
ooo your pics look so fun!!!!!!!

sop 1
02-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Lestrella!
I play the piano at home(used to play clarinet) but I sing in Oratorio Singers(on the Board too) which is the Charlotte Symphony Chorus and also at church (St. Peter's Episcopal)in a small audition choir. I am on the Board of Friends of Music at Queens;

Wow!! That is a lot of fun!! I'm sure you spend a lot of time rehearsing.

Hi Lestrella,
Yes, it is a lot of fun. I love to sing. Even if I am tired and think I really don't want to go out I always come home from rehearsals in a great mood. Of course, the performances are the most fun and rewarding. The audience feedback makes all the work worth it. I know Sandy knows that feeling! I've done a good deal of backstage stuff too. Taken care of the feeding and handling of big orchestras and ballets. That is another whole story! Lots of tales to tell. Loading dock fights; prima donna managers; weird requests for dressing rooms!! As I said; knitting is such a great therapy and you produce something lovely to boot!
Susan the Tired Old Sop 1 :teehee:

sop 1
02-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Hi Gypsy Girl! Forgot to greet you. I am in that area too; more in town but South. :muah:
Susan

GypsyGirlnNC
02-23-2007, 10:01 PM
yeah!!! another knitter in South Charlotte. Welcome!!! I'm in the south area too. How long have you been knitting?

I've been knitting for about 3 years, but I'm still quite a beginner - there are just not enough hours in the day to do all I want to do. I have a small stash and lots of projects planned, though!

Shandeh
02-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Hello everyone! Sorry, I've been out for a while. I was working on a Charity Blanket Knit-Along, and it occupied a good deal of my time. Now, my hubby and I are remodeling our kitchen, and that's taking some of my knitting time. I'm upset about that, but I LOVE the results of our work in the kitchen. It sure will be nice to be able to cook and eat in there without a stack of boxes in the way!

So, it looks like we're wanting to make a decision about a get-together in March, but nothing is firm yet. If you all want, we can set a date and have it at my church. Maybe it would do us good to relax, have some cookies and tea, and just sit and knit!
xxx :X: :frog: :guyknitting: xxx
We could do it on a Saturday from 2:00 until 4:00. That would keep the time short, and we wouldn't have to worry about eating anywhere. Plus, it wouldn't cost us a penny! We could just bring our knitting projects and sit and talk. I would be happy to provide tea and coffee. (I think I'll bring some of my vintage tea cups, so it will be our little "tea party"!) The rest of you can bring cookies or finger foods.

Does this sound good to any of you?

Susan, I enjoyed reading about your interesting music pursuits. You're a busy lady! :notworthy:

GypsyGirl, it's so nice to meet you! :hug:

Shandeh
02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
ooo your pics look so fun!!!!!!!
Thanks Hildie! :muah:

lissalue
02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
sounds good to me, just let me know when, and i will try to bring something!

Shandeh
02-27-2007, 01:19 AM
OK, let's pick a date for sure. I'm thinking that March 24th will be a good day. Is that good for everyone else?

Do you all want to come to my church, or would you prefer a different meeting place?

lestrella
02-27-2007, 01:50 PM
March 24th at 2:00pm at your church is perfect!!

Shandeh, your kitchen is looking nice (I saw pictures).

Are you feeling rested today? You should have your Endocrinologist check you blood again. You might need to increase the dosis of your synthroid. I used to be tired all the time and it was my thyroid. Once they found the right dosis for me, I was ok. Now, I have a lot of energy again.

lissalue
02-27-2007, 02:44 PM
March 24th works for me. Unless something changes or someone gets sick, i will be there! :cheering:

wewantmore
02-27-2007, 04:38 PM
I haven't visited this site in ages.

So happy to see a CHARLOTTE thread.

I'm on the North side.

Michelle

Shandeh
02-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi Michelle! :waving:
Where have you been hiding? :hug:

Shandeh
02-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Are you feeling rested today? You should have your Endocrinologist check you blood again. You might need to increase the dosis of your synthroid. I used to be tired all the time and it was my thyroid. Once they found the right dosis for me, I was ok. Now, I have a lot of energy again.

I've had my synthroid dosage increased already, and my thyroid level is fine now. I don't have problems with that anymore. This other fatigue and pain is something altogether different. When it hits, I really do feel like I've been hit by a truck. It's just AWFUL! The only remedy is to lie down.

Before my hysterectomy, I had all kinds of problems. Thyroid disorder, Low Iron, Anemia, Pain, etc., etc. I was absolutely miserable. I had HUGE fibroid tumors that were causing pain and bleeding. My period was coming about every 2 - 3 weeks, and the bleeding would last for 14 days each time. And the bleeding was very bad. I was SO glad to get my hysterectomy to get that taken care of. Now, I don't have ANY pain in that area, my thyroid has been taken care of with medication, and my iron and red blood levels have evened out. (probably because I'm not losing so much blood every month.)

So, now the only remaining problem is this weird fatigue and pain that strikes me sometimes. It's very odd. Everything I've read on fibromyalgia seems to exactly describe my symptoms. So, maybe I'll be able to deal with this in a better way soon. We'll see. :shrug:

Oh, and I have that stupid osteo-arthritis in my knee. :wall:

Enough of my complaining.....let's try to be happy! :teehee:

lizzitude
02-28-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm not sure if I'll make it down this time or not.....put me down as a maybe. Right now, that date is good, but I'll just have to see what's going around here that weekend!

Shandeh
02-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks Liz. We'll miss you! :pout:

Shandeh
02-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks Liz. We'll miss you! :pout:

sop 1
02-28-2007, 03:37 PM
I wish I could join you all. That is the day of the big party at my house for my son and his fiancee. Needless to say I will be running around crazy! I share with you all a picture of a great idea for a knit-along for us Charlotte ladies! So slimming and appropriate! :roflhard: :roflhard:
Susan
PS Shoes are a nice touch too!

Shandeh
02-28-2007, 03:49 PM
OMG! It looks like the "Invasion of the Fungus!"

Shandeh
03-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Next Charlotte Knit-Together
March 24th, 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Located on Central Avenue,
near the intersection of Eastway Drive in Charlotte

So far, lissalue and lestrella have said they would be there. Anyone else coming?

Shandeh will bring tea and coffee, and the rest of you can bring cookies or finger foods.
xxx :X: :guyknitting: :frog:
It's gonna be a tea party to remember, but we WILL NOT end up like THESE (http://www.gastronomica.org/images/bianchi/Tea%20Party.jpg) ladies! :roflhard:

lissalue
03-03-2007, 10:38 AM
It's gonna be a tea party to remember, but we WILL NOT end up like THESE (http://www.gastronomica.org/images/bianchi/Tea%20Party.jpg) ladies! :roflhard:

gee sandy, why not? looks like they are having a really good time!

:roflhard: :rofl: :chair:

lissalue
03-03-2007, 12:46 PM
has anyone heard from bear? hope you are good bear, wherever you are. how was the test? hope all your smartness showed! :teehee:

i will bring some homemade cookies to the knit-together, now to decide what kind.

Shandeh
03-03-2007, 03:21 PM
She sent me a private message, saying the first exam is over, and she is HAPPY about it! Now, she's studying for another one.

wewantmore
03-03-2007, 05:16 PM
:wall: I won't be able to make the get together. My daughter has Girl Scout thing that afternoon.

Michelle

Shandeh
03-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Aw bummer, Michelle! I was hoping we'd get to meet you this time. :pout:

Belphoebe
03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm putting in a definite maybe for the 24th. Will be neat to finally meet all of you. :happydance: I'm still trying to get over this "crud" that has been going around. Hopefully by then it will be healed. Any food allergies that one needs to be aware of? I love making cookies! :heart:

Jen

Shandeh
03-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Yay Jen!! :cheering:

It will be so nice to meet you!

GypsyGirlnNC
03-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Just got an email from my LYS that said another area yarn store was closing. Anyone know which one it is?

Just curious!

tmsl
03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Stitch is closing in Atherton Mills, maybe this was what they were talking about.

I wish I could join you guys but I will be on vacation then. Have a great time!!!

Laura

wewantmore
03-10-2007, 07:22 PM
:happydance: I finally finished the blanket (started out as a poncho) that I started last year. It's so warm and fuzzy.

Shandeh
03-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Show us the blanket! Show us the blanket! :happydance: :happydance:

lestrella
03-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Wow! It's been a while.

Two more weeks for our next get together :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
I hope bear will be done with her test so she can make it.

Michelle, sop1, and tmsl I'm sorry that you won't be able to make it. I was looking forward to meeting you all.

Gypsygirl, are you going to come? Please?

Jen, :cheering: I'm glad I'll get to meet you.

lizzitude, what do you mean you don't know if you are coming? Whatever comes up that weekend you just say you can't because you are meeting with us :teehee: I'll be nice to see you again.

Allright, I have to go now. I've been catching up with the forum all morning.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

wewantmore
03-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Here's the blanket

wewantmore
03-12-2007, 01:32 PM
:?? Ok, I can't figure out images on this site.

:cheering: 7 edits later I got it to work. :wall:

Shandeh
03-12-2007, 09:34 PM
I LIKEY the blanket!! :heart: :heart:
Thank you for your work of 7 edits....it was WAY worth it!

lestrella
03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Beautiful blanket! It looks very soft!

lestrella
03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Beautiful blanket! It looks very soft!

Shandeh
03-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Say it again! Say it again! :teehee:

Lestrella and I had a good time visiting each other at my little house this morning. :hug:

I just wanted to find out for sure who will be coming to our little knit-together/Tea Party on March 24th. Shandeh will bring tea and coffee, and the rest of you can bring cookies or finger foods.

CHARLOTTE KNIT-TOGETHER
March 24th from 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Location: Shandeh's Church (Memorial UMC (http://www.memorialumc.net/))
(almost right smack dab in the middle of Charlotte)

So far, lissalue and lestrella have said they would be there. Also, Belphoebe says that she might be able to make it. Anyone else coming?

Hey, YA GOTTA COME AND KNIT WITH US!!! :tap:

wewantmore
03-13-2007, 07:17 PM
:heart: Thank you for the blanket compliments.

It's very soft and warm. I wish the pictures came out better.

Michelle

lestrella
03-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Come back bear! We miss you! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Virtuous36
03-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Say it again! Say it again! :teehee:

Lestrella and I had a good time visiting each other at my little house this morning. :hug:

I just wanted to find out for sure who will be coming to our little knit-together/Tea Party on March 24th. Shandeh will bring tea and coffee, and the rest of you can bring cookies or finger foods.

CHARLOTTE KNIT-TOGETHER
March 24th from 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Location: Shandeh's Church (Memorial UMC (http://www.memorialumc.net/))
(almost right smack dab in the middle of Charlotte)

So far, lissalue and lestrella have said they would be there. Also, Belphoebe says that she might be able to make it. Anyone else coming?

Hey, YA GOTTA COME AND KNIT WITH US!!! :tap:

Ahh rats! I really hate I missed this opportunity!
I just discovered this board and that there is a Charlotte link.

Please be sure to let us know about the next one!

Thanks!

Shandeh
03-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Why don't you come to THIS one? We'd love to have you. :hug:

lestrella
03-18-2007, 06:08 PM
yes Virtuous36, why don't you come? I would love to meet you!

Welcome!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

scarlettbegonias1
03-22-2007, 12:59 AM
I just was just guided to this topic by Shandeh. I think it is so neat that you all got together for a whole day of yarn and fun!! I can't wait until the next knit together, i really want to come. Any Asheville knitters out there?? :D

Shandeh
03-22-2007, 02:40 AM
Can you believe our knit-together is THIS Saturday?!? OMG!

I'm really looking forward to seeing you all. Just come to my church, and park beside the big sanctuary. I'll be parked there as well. When we all get there, we'll go inside together and pick a room to hang out in.

Yay! :cheering:

lissalue
03-22-2007, 04:24 PM
:cheering: See you Saturday!!! :cheering:

lestrella
03-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I'll be there!

How many of us are coming?

Shandeh
03-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I think it will be just 3 or 4 of us this time.

I know that I will be there, and you (Lestrella) and lissalue. Belphoebe also said that she might make it.

I'm REALLY looking forward to resting and knitting with you all. I NEED this time together tomorrow. :heart:

lizzitude
03-24-2007, 06:14 AM
You guys have a great time today.....I'm going to be hanging around here doing some yard work - I'll miss you!

Shandeh
03-24-2007, 11:37 AM
We'll miss you too, Liz! :pout: :muah:

I hope you guys don't mind, but I invited a couple of my knitting friends from church to join us today. I know that one of them will probably be there. Her name is Beth, and she is as sweet as sugar. :heart:

I didn't get to speak to the other ones I invited, but I did leave a message on their answering machine. They are the pastor's wife and their two daughters. They are sweet and fun, too. :)

So, if everyone comes, we could possibly have 8 people there. But, we'll probably end up with 4 or 5.

I'm bringing a box of Ginger Snap cookies just in case we need them. I'm also bringing some Wheat Thins crackers and some cheese.

This morning, I went to Walmart to buy sugar cubes and cream for our coffee and tea. While I was there, I grabbed a beautiful bouquet of flowers, because I think we DESERVE them! :hug:

lissalue
03-25-2007, 01:01 PM
We had a lot of fun! Our 2:00 to 4:00 knit-together turned into a 2:00-8:45 knit-together, but it didn't seem like that long to me.

We knitted at Sandy's church until almost 7, then we decided to go get some supper at Olive Garden. By the time i got my kids and got home, it was almost 10:30!!! Oh, and i got in trouble with my mommy, who was keeping my kids because she was worried about me being in Charlotte so late.

I didn't get much knitting done, but I did get all my yarn wound into balls on Sandy's ball winder, so that was great! And one of the ladies from Sandy's church joined us as well.

So, it was me and my baby, lestrella, Sandy, and Beth (i think, is that right Sandy?). But Beth didn't go eat with us. We got to hear Sandy play both the piano and the organ, and she gave us an lesson on organs and how they work.

And Sandy and Lestrella surprised me and my yarnbaby with a very pretty little dress they made for her when they got to gether for Sandy to teach Lestrella how to sew. I will take a picture in a bit, but it is so perfect for her to grow into! It has little kittens with balls of yarn!

Shandeh
03-25-2007, 05:51 PM
I agree Melissa. It WAS fun!

I was so glad my friend Beth was able to come. She told me today how fun everything was. She raved about all the different teas and the beautiful flowers, and how nice we all were. I hope she can come more often.

She knits prayer shawls for our church, and has so far knit about 5 of them. She's FAST!

The yarn baby was absolutely WONDERFUL the entire time. I wish I could have had a baby that perfect. Melissa, you are one lucky mama.

Lestrella you forgot to take your fruit home! I saw it in the church this morning, so I grabbed it. Right now, I'm enjoying a kiwi and a plum. YUM! Do you want me to get this fruit back to you?

lestrella
03-25-2007, 10:22 PM
I had a great time too! Thank you Sandy for organizing such a wonderful "get together".

Shandeh
03-26-2007, 06:08 AM
I think we'll have to wait and see when and where our next get-together will be. I'm SO BUSY during April, because of Easter at church, and May doesn't look much better because I'm having a recital for my piano students that month.

If anyone else would like to host a get-together for one of those months, let me know. Otherwise, I'll plan one for June.

lissalue
03-30-2007, 06:06 PM
here is a pic of yarnbaby in her dress

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/439276828_a9c25edc36.jpg

and here is a close up on the detail of the pattern

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/439276804_dd681b88d1.jpg

it is just perfect for her with the cute kitties with their yarn, and i think it will fit perfectly in just a couple months!! :cheering: thanks again to sandy and lestrella!! :hug:

misha rf
03-31-2007, 01:10 PM
I just was just guided to this topic by Shandeh. I think it is so neat that you all got together for a whole day of yarn and fun!! I can't wait until the next knit together, i really want to come. Any Asheville knitters out there?? :D

I'm about 30 min. from you!

I've only been to the airport in Charlotte (we drove from there once b/c our flight to Asheville was incredibly delayed--and we made it to Asheville *before* the flight did!) I'd like to go to one of your knitting parties! :flirt: Of course, it'll have to be after we've moved into the new house. I don't think the Husband would appreciate me taking off while we're unpacking. :rofl:

Shandeh
03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Yay!! The dress WILL eventually fit her. You'll have to take another photo then. :thumbsup:

Misha!! I can't wait to meet you! :hug:

lestrella
04-11-2007, 10:53 AM
:waving: I just wanted to stop by and say Hi!!

Shandeh
04-11-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm SO excited!!! I just found out about a fiber festival in my state in just a couple weeks! It's being held at the Averasboro Battlefield Museum.

Here's the PDF flyer (http://www.averasboro.com/Clientfiles/Averasboro/PDFs/FINAL%20FIBER%20FESTIVAL%20POSTER.pdf) with all the details.

And here's the main website for the Averasboro Battlefield:
http://www.averasboro.com/default.aspx?PID=17&Text=Home

I am definitely going, and my husband is coming as well, because there is a Civil War Museum there to keep him occupied.

Anyone else want to come? This could be our April NC get-together if you all want.

Belphoebe
04-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Oh holy heck! I've been a Civil War reenactor for 14 years...some years not so active since Emma's birth...but still. Fun for the whole family! Going to have to keep this in mind.

Shandeh
04-11-2007, 05:58 PM
It's in 10 days, so you'd better keep it at the FRONT of your mind! :teehee:

lissalue
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
i gotta find out how long it would take me to get there before i can decide if i can come. i would like to for sure!!

Belphoebe
04-11-2007, 07:14 PM
It's in 10 days, so you'd better keep it at the FRONT of your mind! :teehee:

That I will try to do! :teehee:

lestrella
04-12-2007, 08:25 PM
I thought about going with the family for a little while but it's 3 1/2 hours drive from here. i'll wait until there's another one closer. I think we might just go hiking that weekend. Does anyone knows of a nice hiking place within an hour or two from Charlotte?

Belphoebe
04-12-2007, 09:56 PM
This is probably further than you want to drive, but Mt. Mitchell has nice hiking trails.

Antigone87
04-13-2007, 12:38 AM
wow a lot of people from NC. I was born in Greenville now I'm holding it down in Fayettville.

I know there is a yarn store in Southern Pines. Let me know if anyone knows of one that will be closer.

Belphoebe
04-13-2007, 10:00 AM
OOOOO, my cousin lives in Southern Pines. Just another reason to go visit him. :teehee:

Shandeh
04-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm getting excited about the Fiber Festival this Saturday!!

They will have a few classes (http://www.averasboro.com/default.aspx?PID=55&Text=Classes%20at%20Averasboro%20Fiber%20Festival) available on Needlefelting, Triangular Weaving, and Spinning Cotton.

There will also be demonstrations of Working Border Collies herding sheep at 11:00, 1:00 and 3:00.

WAY COOL! (I'm such a fiber nerd!) :teehee:

wewantmore
04-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Ok if I can make it to the next get together I'm gonna need my hand held. I want to do a Booga. I have no pattern, but seeing some of these FO are making me want to try one.

I have no yarn either. Well I think I might, but not sure if it'll work, so I'll bring it with me for you yarn experts.

Have a happy April and hope to meet in May.

Michelle

Shandeh
04-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Here's the Booga pattern:
http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html

Belphoebe
04-23-2007, 06:09 PM
So Sandy, tell all! What was the festival like? :waving:

Shandeh
04-23-2007, 11:19 PM
I didn't get to go! :pout:

I had a bad toothache that became infected and messed up ALL my plans.
:waah:

Belphoebe
04-24-2007, 06:31 AM
Oh no! :pout: I hope your tooth feels MUCH better now! :muah:

Shandeh
04-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Thank you, my friend. :heart:

katiebug081504
04-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey! I am also a NC knitter. Boone & Gastonia.

lissalue
04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
hi ther katie bug!! i am in shelby, nice to meet you

Jessica Cobb
04-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi! I replied to one of Shandah's posts in another forum topic, and she pointed me in the direction of this great NC knitters thread! How cool.

I'm in the Cramerton/Gastonia area.

lestrella
04-25-2007, 01:50 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Yeah!!! more NC knitters!!!

:muah:

katiebug081504
04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey Jessica! We are near each other! cool.

wewantmore
04-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Thank you Sandy.

Ok here's the yarn I have. It's Atacama 100% Alpaca 110 yard a skein and I have 6 skeins 3 pink and 3 blue. I'm pretty sure I'll need to get new needles. (oh darn :teehee: )

Michelle

eta: http://theknittinggarden.com/hd-atacama.htm[/url]

Shandeh
04-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Well, if you guys want to have another NC get-together, you'll have to plan it, because my May is PACKED!!!

I'm planning a piano recital for my students, so that's taking priority right now.

wewantmore
04-26-2007, 08:37 AM
But Sandy I NEEEEEEEED you. :eyebrow:

Can someone 'simplify' this for me?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30388&start=0

I have no clue what Ingrid is talking about. :oops:

Shandeh
04-26-2007, 11:56 AM
But Sandy I NEEEEEEEED you. :eyebrow:
Poor poor Michelle... :pout: :teehee:

wewantmore
04-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Sandy if you only knew how sad a knitter I really am. I have no confidence in what I can/can't do. I truely need my hand held. :oops:

lissalue
04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
where are you at again wewantmore?

katiebug081504
04-26-2007, 08:13 PM
I must say, I really do love how the NC Knitters topic is so active. Makes me smile!

wewantmore
04-27-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm in Charlotte.

eta: University Area.

Shandeh
04-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Yay! I'm in Charlotte too! :cheering:

Jessica Cobb
04-28-2007, 02:46 AM
I must say, I really do love how the NC Knitters topic is so active. Makes me smile!

I feel the same way! I think its awesome.

katiebug081504
04-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Did you go to South Point Jessica?

Jessica Cobb
04-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Did you go to South Point Jessica?Nope, I went to a private school in Gastonia (FACA). My boyfriend knows a ton of people from South Point though, he went to East Gaston.

katiebug081504
04-28-2007, 11:16 PM
your name sounds so familiar

Belphoebe
05-03-2007, 06:26 PM
O.k. all NC knitters...

I want to make this... http://www.p2designs.com/pdfs/FroggyHat.pdf

Where can I find that yarn? It says it is Lanas Stop Monaco. I've tried googling for it and find nothing. I find Lanas Stop yarn, but the websites are in Spanish. Unfortunately, I only speak and read English. (I knew I should have taken Spanish!) :wall: Anyway, PLEASE help! I have a baby shower coming up in a month that I'd like to make the had and socks for.

Thanks!

Shandeh
05-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I want to make this... http://www.p2designs.com/pdfs/FroggyHat.pdf

Where can I find that yarn?

The pattern says that you use either DK or worsted weight yarn, so I would just use whichever yarn you want!

Belphoebe
05-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Would anyone know where I could find yarn that color with the sploches of color? Lionbrand has one that is a green with colors, but the sploches include non-frog-like (I invented a word!) colors. :pout: Thanks for the help! :hug:

lestrella
05-04-2007, 08:48 AM
belphoebe, I have the same pattern and I've been wanting to do it for a long time but I haven't found the right yarn yet. Let me know what you decide to use. I went to hobby lobby and michaels but I didn't like the greens they had.

BTW, is anyone here celebrating the "knitting in public day" on June 9th?

Shandeh
05-05-2007, 12:15 AM
I knit in public all the time, so I celebrate it EVERY day! :teehee:

But, if you guys want, we can try to set up our next get-together on that day, and meet in a public place with our needles and yarn! :)

Maybe we could find a park, so we could bring our families and the kids could all play together or something. We could each bring food for our own families, and have a picnic or something.

We would probably need to bring our own lawn chairs.

Just a thought. :shrug:

lissalue
05-05-2007, 12:21 AM
I knit in public all the time, so I celebrate it EVERY day! :teehee:

But, if you guys want, we can try to set up our next get-together on that day, and meet in a public place with our needles and yarn! :)

Maybe we could find a park, so we could bring our families and the kids could all play together or something. We could each bring food for our own families, and have a picnic or something.

We would probably need to bring our own lawn chairs.

Just a thought. :shrug:

Sandy!! You come up with the best ideas! I think this would be great, another wonderful idea from the very wonderful Sandy!! :muah:

Shandeh
05-05-2007, 12:40 AM

I've always been full of ideas. But, this forum is the only place where I've actually seen them embraced and ACTED upon! :teehee:

lestrella
05-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I need in public all the time as well. I was just curious. I'm not even available that day. I'm helping my brother move. Well, I'm basically just babysitting for the whole weekend and I don't think I want to go anywhere with my nieces and nephews. I won't be able to knit at all just keeping an eye on them. Last time we went to the playground my , about 3 weeks ago, my nephew broke his arm in two different places.

It's a great idea but I would have to pass on that one. You should all get together. I know it will be a lot of fun! Take pictures!

lizardknits
05-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I didn't grow up in NC - i'm a Mid-Westerner. now I'm in Greensboro, but also spend a quite a fair amount of time in Wilmington as well.

It's funny, i don't really know any knitters because i'm self-taught. So i spend most of my time "talking" to other knitters here, not in the flesh. I haven't been to Knit Picky - i guess i should check it out!!

:waving:
-hh

hi

I think your talking about me...haha.... Im a Midwesterner by birth. I moved to NC in 1999 because of my dad's job. I now live in Greensboro (for school... I go to UNCG). Where in Greensboro do you live? Where in the Midwest are you from? I just moved here to Greensboro in August and I don't know that many people at all, let alone knitters. Also, I could use some help on a project question. Im a self taught knitter as well. I learned from a book, although, I actally learned to purl recently from a combination of the videos on this site and my mother, who is a longtime knitter.

Hey, theres an LYS on Elm street called Yarns, Etc. http://www.yarnsetc.com/ you might want to check that out. (ooooooooo..... yarn store.......) haha

I have yet to have walked into a Michaels here in town, which is probably a good thing, considering when I walk into a Michaels, I head straight for the yarn section and ooooh and ahhhhh and say, hmm, what kinda project ideas could I come up with for this yarn???!!!! hehe....michaels=danger hehhehehhehe

Shandeh
05-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Welcome, lizardknits! :hug:

We'll have to see if we can get anyone else to come to a get-together on June 9th. Time will tell, but we need to decide within the next two weeks!

lizardknits
05-05-2007, 01:29 PM
thanks for the hug :muah: :happydance:

where would the get together be on June 9th?

Shandeh
05-05-2007, 01:37 PM
thanks for the hug :muah: :happydance:

where would the get together be on June 9th?

You're welcome, my friend! :muah:

I'm not sure. Maybe we could find a park on the north side of Charlotte. That would be good, I think. We might be able to get more people to come if we meet on that side of town.

Shandeh
05-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Would anyone know where I could find yarn that color with the sploches of color? Lionbrand has one that is a green with colors, but the sploches include non-frog-like (I invented a word!) colors. :pout: Thanks for the help! :hug:

Angelia just dyed some yarn that looks just right!
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=456418#456418
(scroll up a little bit on that page, and you'll see the photo.)

wewantmore
05-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm up for a get together.

I'll be at Dan Nicholas Park on that Sat. My daughter's Girl Scout troop is having their end of the year camp out that Friday night.

Michelle

Shandeh
05-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Where is that park located?

Belphoebe
05-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I love you Shandeh! I PM'd her and wait her reply. :muah:

katiebug081504
05-05-2007, 11:03 PM
I agree to a get together. I need help with my shirt. :pout:

Shandeh
05-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Wonderful! Now, all we have to do is find a good place we all agree on.

lizzitude
05-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Welcome, LizardKnits.....it's nice to know another Lizard in the area. I am on the other side of Winston. Where do you go to school?

I don't think I'll be able make it to the June get-together - I think we're planning to go to the mountains that weekend. But if not, I'd like to come and see everyone

Anyone heard from BabyBear lately? How are her exams coming?

wewantmore
05-06-2007, 09:32 AM
http://www.dannicholas.net/
There's the link to Dan Nicholas Park. It's north (Sailsbury). It's a HUGE park. They have a little train ride, merry-go-round, animals, a lake for fishing or paddle boats. They do have just a play ground too. All the things are no more than a $1.00 or $2 to do. We love the train. They has a little sprinkler park thing.

If it's too far I understand. Just thought I'd mention it. :teehee:

Michelle

lizardknits
05-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Welcome, LizardKnits.....it's nice to know another Lizard in the area. I am on the other side of Winston. Where do you go to school?

I don't think I'll be able make it to the June get-together

:hug: thanks for the warm welcome

I go to UNC Greensboro. I am a junior on her sophmore project.

I cant say that I would be able to make it to a June get-together because I still dont yet know where I will be in the summer. I may be in Greensboro, I may be in Charlotte. I dont know yet

Shandeh
05-06-2007, 06:00 PM
I don't think I'll be able make it to the June get-together - I think we're planning to go to the mountains that weekend. But if not, I'd like to come and see everyone

Anyone heard from BabyBear lately? How are her exams coming?

I hope you can come, Liz! I want to get to know you better! :)

And about Bear, she didn't do so well on her exam. It would probably be good if we don't mention it anymore. She's got the blues. :pout: We just need to keep loving her and knitting with her. :hug:

Shandeh
05-06-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.dannicholas.net/
There's the link to Dan Nicholas Park. It's north (Sailsbury). It's a HUGE park. They have a little train ride, merry-go-round, animals, a lake for fishing or paddle boats. They do have just a play ground too. All the things are no more than a $1.00 or $2 to do. We love the train. They has a little sprinkler park thing.

If it's too far I understand. Just thought I'd mention it. :teehee:

Michelle

I LOVE THAT PARK!!!! I've never been there, but it looks WAY COOL!!

I think it would be a PERFECT place for our next get-together! It's a GREAT location, because Salisbury is right smack in the middle of North Carolina! :) It seems to be exactly an equal distance between Charlotte and Greensboro.

How does everyone else feel about meeting there?

lissalue
05-06-2007, 08:44 PM
As far as I know that would be okay. We will probably spend the night with my dad in Concord to be a little closer. What time do we want to meet?

Shandeh
05-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm thinking that lunchtime would be good....since we're bringing a picnic.

So, probably 12 noon or 1 PM

wewantmore
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Lunch time sounds good for us too. So glad you enjoy the park.

:eyebrow: I've started a Booga Bag. LORD help me please. :??

Shandeh
05-07-2007, 10:44 PM
:eyebrow: I've started a Booga Bag. LORD help me please. :??
Good luck! You can do it! I made one, and it wasn't bad at all.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/35/112633698_3f2b0cbd3a.jpg

wewantmore
05-08-2007, 05:27 AM
Oh I like those colors.

I'm a loose knitter and I'm using 11's. I'm thinking it's too loose. I guess time will tell.

Shandeh
05-08-2007, 06:52 AM
I got my yarn in a vintage poncho kit on eBay for just a few dollars. It was pure luck!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/47602514_84196de911.jpg
Felting will make the stitches much tighter for you. Here's what mine looked like before felting. I'm a tight knitter.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/44/110210119_c210ab87a5.jpg

wewantmore
05-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Should I be using two strands?

knitting4babybear
05-08-2007, 01:09 PM

Hi everyone - thanks for asking about me. It's ok to mention the exams - as long as we don't dwell. :roflhard: I failed the bar by one point :pout: so I have to take it again in July. Other than that things are good. Hope to get back into the swing of things soon. I'm knitting the Clementine Shawllette from IK SP 07 while I muddle through though, so I'm not lonely. That's keeping me company while playoffs are afoot. :D

Lestella gave me a call recently and I'm ashamed to say I lost her number, so I'm sorry I haven't called you back honey, but I forgot to save the number before my cell deleted it. :wall:

Anyway - just popped into to say I'm ok, and I miss y'all! Hope everyone is well.

I'll be back around once I put a study schedule together and generally get my bearings. :heart:

lissalue
05-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey bear!! I missed you! :hug: I am knitting the clementine shawlette too! i am in l :heart: ve with the pattern. it is really pretty. so glad to hear from you! youare in my thoughts and prayers! :muah:

Shandeh
05-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Should I be using two strands?
I used two strands, because my yarn was more of a DK weight than a worsted weight. I've heard other people say they used two strands of worsted to make it thicker.

Hi everyone - thanks for asking about me. It's ok to mention the exams - as long as we don't dwell. :roflhard: I failed the bar by one point :pout: so I have to take it again in July.
I'll be back around once I put a study schedule together and generally get my bearings. :heart:
Hello, sweet Bear! :muah:
I wish they could somehow give you that one point, just for being a good person. :verysad:
You deserve it! :hug:

knitting4babybear
05-08-2007, 03:13 PM
You're still the sweetest Sandy Panda. :D

I hope to see you guys soon! I'm still reading back to see when there's a meet up planned. If it's close enough I'll come. :)

knitting4babybear
05-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Hey bear!! I missed you! :hug: I am knitting the clementine shawlette too! i am in l :heart: ve with the pattern. it is really pretty. so glad to hear from you! youare in my thoughts and prayers! :muah:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Thanks, Liss! ARE you knitting Clementine? :D How neat! I must have been vibing you.... :eyebrow:

It is a cool pattern. I'm still early in, but it's cool to be knitting lace. I've wanted to a for a while, but just never found anything that didn't make my head hurt. :D

I wish I wasn't so nervous to drive. I have wanted to go to Cottage Yarns at least 5 times in the past two months. :D

lissalue
05-08-2007, 03:24 PM

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Thanks, Liss! ARE you knitting Clementine? :D How neat! I must have been vibing you.... :eyebrow:

It is a cool pattern. I'm still early in, but it's cool to be knitting lace. I've wanted to a for a while, but just never found anything that didn't make my head hurt. :D

I wish I wasn't so nervous to drive. I have wanted to go to Cottage Yarns at least 5 times in the past two months. :D

yes, i are. :teehee: it is on hold right now cause i am making my mom a sweater for Mother's day, but i will start back on it as soon as i finish the sweater. which may be a while, check my blog for datails, but i went roller skating yesterday and i fell and hurted myself. i like the pattern cause it is really repetitious, but not boringly so.

sorry you can't go to Cottage Yarn. I would be willing to meet you somewhere and drive you sometime if you want. I don't mind, i need to go too, but DH doesn't like me going that far by myself. Although he wouldn't mind me picking you up and going even though it is just as far. don't ask me why. :shrug: He got really nervous when I went to Sandy's and didn't come home till after dark. :teehee:

maybe you can make it to the next knit together! talk to you soon!

Shandeh
05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Bear, we are talking about having our next get-together at Dan Nicholas Park (http://www.dannicholas.net/contactus.aspx) in Salisbury (halfway between Charlotte and Greensboro), on Saturday, June 9th at 12:00 Noon.

It will be outside, and we will each bring our own food for a picnic lunch. Everyone is welcome to bring their whole family, and the kids can all play together. That day is National Knit in Public Day, so we'll be able to knit in public together!

I hope you can come! :muah:

knitting4babybear
05-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Aw Panda - that sounds like loads of fun!

Sadly, since I'm still not even driving past Mallard Creek at this point, I think a bona fide road trip would be biting off more than I can chew.
Liss - thanks sweetie. Honestly, I feel bad asking anyone to chaffeur me around - especially since you guys always offer. :pout:

Maybe one of the meetups can be a "tea" at my house now that we actually have a couch. :D Still a little me-centric, but it's the best I can do. :pout:

lissalue
05-08-2007, 03:54 PM
You aren't asking, I am offering!! Maybe we can plan it for a day when I am already going to be at my dad's, he lives off of Poplar Tent, that way i won't be out of my way, and you won't have to feel bad. k? i am pm'ing you with my number so you can call sometime. If not for that, then just to talk. I am always available. I have no life. :shrug: :teehee:

knitting4babybear
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
That's sounds excellent, Liss.

I have no life either. :roflhard:

lestrella
05-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Wow! All of a sudden the NC blog got so popular...I guess all we needed was for babybear to come back.

Welcome back! :muah: I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. How was your trip to NY?

I had a great time with Sandy today!! She always takes me around to all these cool places. :cheering: I got my CD spindle and some rowing from her. Whoohoo, I'm going to be spinning.

BTW Sandy, how was your lunch with Marvin?

:hug: :hug: :hug: [/b]

Shandeh
05-09-2007, 03:08 AM
Yeah, Bear is always such a cool addition to our forum! :muah:

Lestrella, you are now a bona fide member of the "KH beginning spinners"! I hope you have fun learning to spin. :hug:

We had FUN today, didn't we? :)

Marvin and I had a good lunch together, then we came home to relax. We've been planning on taking a couple days to go somewhere next week. I hope it works out.

knitting4babybear
05-09-2007, 10:25 AM
:heart:

Thanks Lestrella. NY was bittersweet. It was the first time I went "home" that I didn't want to leave. My SO and I are considering moving back. I'll give the bar one more shot, but if it doesn't come together we may look into selling our house and jumping ship. My career is sliding swiftly down the drain in NC...

:(

Shandeh
05-09-2007, 02:11 PM
:waah:

knitting4babybear
05-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Not to worry Sandy Pants...it won't be before the end of summer. :roflhard:

lestrella
05-12-2007, 07:00 PM
:waah: babybear, I wouldn't like for you to go back to NY. I'm going to pray so you can pass your test next time and that way you won't have to go back to NY.

I went to Dan Nicholas park today. We had a great time! We did the paddle boats, the train ride and the mini golf and it was only $18 for the three of us. BTW, the direccions I got from mapquest were midleading. Nobody new of such street as skyline. The direccions said: exit 76B towards Salisbury, left on skyline, right on park ave....You actually need to take exit 76 (it doesn't said A or B anywhere) towards Albemarle. The second light is Newsome, that's were you make a left. Then go for o.5 miles to bringle ferry rd and make a right. The park will be at about 6 miles from there on your left. BTW, I was coming from the South.

For those of you that are mothers, I hope you all have a great Mother's Day tomorrow.

:hug: :heart: :hug:

Shandeh
05-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Thanks for checking out the park, Lestrella! :muah:

Lady Violet
05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
wow a lot of people from NC. I was born in Greenville now I'm holding it down in Fayettville.

I know there is a yarn store in Southern Pines. Let me know if anyone knows of one that will be closer.

there's a store in raleigh called "great yarns." i live roughly an hour and a half from fayettville, and great yarns is 30 minutes from me. i live just outside of johnston county (it's officially raleigh). here's the link to a google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=275b+ne+broad+street,+28387&daddr=1208+Ridge+Rd,+Raleigh,+NC+27607&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.160552,81.738281&ie=UTF8&z=9&om=1)from bella filati to great yarns. i hope it helps! i haven't been to great yarns in a while. it's small, but crammed full of good yarn. i've never been to bella filati, but from what i've seen on the website they have some brands that i don't remember seeing in great yarns. the more i think about it, the more i want to make the drive down there. but alas, that will have to wait until after i have found a job.

i guess i should introduce myself. a few years ago my grandmother taught me to knit in less than 10 minutes. it was the easiest thing i'd ever done. i've been knitting ever since. i stopped for a while (i can't remember why), but that didn't last too long. having worked at one of the big chain stores for two and a half years, my stash of acrylic is way too big. i wish i had the money to replace it with natural fibers, but that, too, will have to wait. right now i'll have to be happy with my kitchen cotton.

i would love to find others to knit with, preferably closer to garner, but cary and apex would be alright, too. gee. i feel like i'm typing a singles add. :ick: :lol:

i guess that's pretty much it. i've looked at several pages of this thread and all of you seem so nice! i knew i just had to be a part of it, now that i've finally found other nc knitters.

PixieKnits
05-17-2007, 05:54 PM
I thought i would introduce myself here first, since well, im in North Carolina!

My name is Lindsay im 25 years old, i have an almost 3 year old and im married to my hubby Matt, who is in the Air Force. We're currently living in Goldsboro, seems like a really long drive to charlotte from here. i've been knitting a year, and i've got my first sweater on the needles. i always feel so lonely knitting by myself, so if anyone is in my area, i'd LOVE to do a knitting get together! :)

Lady Violet
05-17-2007, 06:14 PM
goldsboro is definitely closer than charlotte. i was just checking google's handy dandy maps and smithfield is about halfway between goldsboro and raleigh. they have a cracker barrel with a very large "front porch" with plenty of rocking chairs. and you know, it's practically summer.... :think: :sun:

my brother is also in the air force. :D he's in pansacola for tech school right now, then he'll be stationed in okinawa.

p.s. my name's melissa.

PixieKnits
05-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi Melissa, we were stationed to Okinawa as our first base, and it was amazing! :) and I am farmiliar with smithfield! :) We go there quite often to go to the Outlets! :) Maybe some saturday i'll Have my husband stay home with the tot and we can knit! :D

PixieKnits
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
I could even do Garner, the more i think about it! :) That way i could convince my husband to drive! ;)

lestrella
05-17-2007, 07:40 PM
:cheering:More people in NC...yeah!!!
Melissa and Lindsay, Welcome!

PixieKnits
05-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks its nice to see other NC knitters! :)

Lady Violet
05-17-2007, 09:37 PM
thanks! i'm feeling the love already. :muah:

lindsay, my brother's name is josh! :shock: :-P

PixieKnits
05-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Oh weird Melissa! :) So how old are you?

Jessica Cobb
05-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi Lindsay! I live in Cramerton, which really isn't close to Goldsboro at all, but it's awesome see more NC knitters! :happydance:

Jessica Cobb
05-17-2007, 11:40 PM
there's a store in raleigh called "great yarns." i live roughly an hour and a half from fayettville, and great yarns is 30 minutes from me. i live just outside of johnston county (it's officially raleigh). here's the link to a google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=275b+ne+broad+street,+28387&daddr=1208+Ridge+Rd,+Raleigh,+NC+27607&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.160552,81.738281&ie=UTF8&z=9&om=1)from bella filati to great yarns. i hope it helps! i haven't been to great yarns in a while. it's small, but crammed full of good yarn. i've never been to bella filati, but from what i've seen on the website they have some brands that i don't remember seeing in great yarns. the more i think about it, the more i want to make the drive down there. but alas, that will have to wait until after i have found a job.

i guess i should introduce myself. a few years ago my grandmother taught me to knit in less than 10 minutes. it was the easiest thing i'd ever done. i've been knitting ever since. i stopped for a while (i can't remember why), but that didn't last too long. having worked at one of the big chain stores for two and a half years, my stash of acrylic is way too big. i wish i had the money to replace it with natural fibers, but that, too, will have to wait. right now i'll have to be happy with my kitchen cotton.

i would love to find others to knit with, preferably closer to garner, but cary and apex would be alright, too. gee. i feel like i'm typing a singles add. :ick: :lol:

i guess that's pretty much it. i've looked at several pages of this thread and all of you seem so nice! i knew i just had to be a part of it, now that i've finally found other nc knitters.

Haha I have way too many acrylics and cotton too, but its ok, it's fun to knit with I think. Even though I prefer the more expensive stuff, I just can't always afford it on my student budget. :pout:

I live in Cramerton around the Charlotte area, but I'm heading up to Raleigh this weekend, so I might check out that yarn store you mentioned! I'm always looking for new yarn stores to visit!

PixieKnits
05-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Jessica, Thanks, you're still in NC thats all that matters! :)

Lady Violet
05-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Oh weird Melissa! :) So how old are you?

28. i guess i could have mentioned that. :doh: :teehee:

PixieKnits
05-18-2007, 12:57 AM
oh not bad! :) im 25 i'll be 26 in october

wewantmore
05-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Welcome Lindsey and Melissa.

I'm Michelle, turned 30 this past March. Moved the Charlotte 7 yrs ago this July from Florida. Never ever going back. Well just to visit not to live.

I've been knitting for about 2 yrs now. I wanted to learn but just couldn't figure it out. So I had my handy man hubby (Steven) learn and then teach me. He was knitting for a while but hasn't picked up the needles since December. (well he did to help with make and I-cord, but the bugger couldn't even remember how to cast on, so that was a joke).

We have two kids, Kayla is 7 and Joseph is 2 and another on the way at the end of July.

I'm knitting my first Bogga Bag. So far it's been a PAIN.

Michelle

Lady Violet
05-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Haha I have way too many acrylics and cotton too, but its ok, it's fun to knit with I think. Even though I prefer the more expensive stuff, I just can't always afford it on my student budget. :pout:

I live in Cramerton around the Charlotte area, but I'm heading up to Raleigh this weekend, so I might check out that yarn store you mentioned! I'm always looking for new yarn stores to visit!

glad i could help! i forgot to mention that there's a store in cary, too. it's called "shuttles, needles, and hooks." i've never actually been there. i tried to find it one day. i had gotten directions from a customer while i worked at jo-anns. she said that if you weren't looking for it, you'd go right by it. well, i was looking for it and i STILL went right by it three or four times! :?? i've been told it's a great place run by really nice "little old ladies."

the main problem i have with acrylic is that it's not warm. at all. i made a hat with some red heart and have discovered that you don't wear acrylic to keep your head warm. i still love my hat. it looks really cool. but i definitely won't rely on it if the temperature ever drops below 30! :rollseyes:

Lady Violet
05-18-2007, 02:07 PM
i just did another google search and discovered that there's one more store in raleigh. at least i think it's a store. it could just be a "factory." what i found wasn't really clear. but at least i have a name. "stokes county yarn co." the info i got was a bit confusing. it's supposedly in a city/town called "cooleemee, nc" and has strange area and zip codes, but google maps shows it as being downtown off of st. mary's street (it goes right through downtown). very strange. :-? :thinking:

maybe it's like the vatican of knitting. :rofling:

PixieKnits
05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
The closest LYS to my is in Wilson... blah! :(

LindaB2603
05-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm new to forum and new to knitting but not new to NC/SC. I grew up in NC and transplanted to SC about 25 years ago--so I guess you could say I'm a half-n-half! I am definitely feeling my way through learning knitting and I'm teaching myself. I have managed to pick out a combination style that just seems to work best for me. I learned to crochet first so it seemed more natural to hold my yarn in my left hand but I really throw just not with my right hand. Anyway, I'm delighted to learn there are so many knitters close by.

lizardknits
05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
oh not bad! :) im 25 i'll be 26 in october

omg
no way!!??:shock:
October??!!:cheering:
my birthday is in october too...
when in october!!!??!!
mine is the fifth
i'll turn 22 this year
:happydance:

Lady Violet
05-21-2007, 07:04 PM
lindsay, did you notice any yarn shops while you were on okinawa? i plan on visiting my brother at least once while he's there, and if there are any i definitely want to check them out.

wewantmore
05-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I know I shouldn't but I need to 'complain' about my yarn store visits. This is trip number 2 I've made to Knit one Stitch too. I've had the same lady twice and I must say she hasn't been all that friendly to me .:pout: She has made me feel like I'm not welcomed at all. Plus I will say, I do like the yarn selection a lot better at Charlotte Yarn. :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: So I don't think I'll be heading back there unless I NEEEEED something, but I think they are about the same distance from me, so Charlotte Yarn might win out anyway.

Ok sorry about that.

PixieKnits
05-22-2007, 02:28 AM
lizardknits, not far off, im the 7th! :)

and Michelle, i didn't know how to knit while i was in okinawa! :) and back then i used *gags* acrylic! LOL

lissalue
05-22-2007, 09:36 AM
my birthday is in October too. I will be 27 on the 11th.

I am a sahm to 3 kids. 7 yo son, 4 yo daughter, and 9 month old daughter. welcome to the forum and the NC knitters thread everyone!!

Lady Violet
05-22-2007, 03:29 PM
it's melissa, but don't worry about it. i'm actually used to people calling me michelle! :rofling:

i started an irish hiking scarf last night with some of my acrylic. :ick: thankfully, i had to frog it by the end of the first cable row. somehow i only had 3 stitches left on the needle when i was supposed to have 6. i really don't like working with that stuff. i'm amazed that i managed to knit an entire hat out of it without going crazy. it almost has a squeaky texture. strange, i know, but sometimes you just gotta mix the senses. i do it all the time. anyway, i think i'm just going to put all my solid acrylic in the next yardsale. how's that for de-stashing? :thumbsup: :yay:

PixieKnits
05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
DOH! Melissa! sorry! LOL i keep all my acrylic, i use it when i need to put something on a holder LOL

wewantmore
05-22-2007, 04:19 PM
:roflhard: I'm a Michelle that gets Melissa all the time. :?? :roflhard:

Lady Violet
05-22-2007, 04:41 PM
i think when we were born they were both very popular names. as i was growing up, one of my best friends was a michelle. people got us mixed up all the time. it was great fun! :roflhard:

Jessica Cobb
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
I know I shouldn't but I need to 'complain' about my yarn store visits. This is trip number 2 I've made to Knit one Stitch too. I've had the same lady twice and I must say she hasn't been all that friendly to me .:pout: She has made me feel like I'm not welcomed at all. Plus I will say, I do like the yarn selection a lot better at Charlotte Yarn. :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: So I don't think I'll be heading back there unless I NEEEEED something, but I think they are about the same distance from me, so Charlotte Yarn might win out anyway.

Ok sorry about that.

Is Knit one Stitch too in Huntersville? I always hear about it, but I'm not sure where it is!

lissalue
05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
if it is the one in Huntersville, they were super nice when we were all there. :shrug: They had a mardi gras theme going ad seemed really friendly to me, but it could have been because they were having that promotion. doesn't meant they are always like that.

Belphoebe
05-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Woo hoo! Finally! Someone else with an October 7th birthday! :cheering: I'll be....38....:think:

wewantmore
05-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah the one in Huntersville.

She was friendly with the 'older' customers in the store. :shrug:

Doodknitwit
05-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi
if you are in Charlotte we are neighbors.... where do you shop.
I joined today!!

Doodknitwit
05-23-2007, 07:49 PM
I agree I bet the lady is the owner.. they cater to needlepointers.
I won't return....

turtlegirl76
05-24-2007, 12:41 PM
I just wanted to speak up in favor of the guild. I am sorry for Shandeh's past experience with it but I can tell you that this past year as a member I have not at all had that sort of experience with them. (And think you'll find that if you return, you won't see very many faces there that you may have seen before when you had a poor experience. If you can ever make it.) One think I know about knitters is that they are very kind hearted and are understanding. I hope you will be too. The guild is a great resource for shared knowledge. We meet the first tuesday of each month, from 6pm to 8pm at Providence Baptist Church. You can see details on our blog (http://cltkg.blogspot.com/).

Also, as Tvini stated earlier, there is a weekly knit night at the Books-a-Million in Cotswold mall every wednesday. We usually arive around 7pm (some get there earlier but there's always someone there at 7) and meet until late - usually 9:30 or 10pm. We have a blog (http://charlotteknitting.blogspot.com/) so people can google knitting in charlotte and find their way to us. But it's not updated often. The meeting time never changes and is never cancelled.

Also also - the South Charlotte SnB (a yahoo group you can find here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCharlotteSnB/)) meets at the Panera Bread on South Tryon by 485 on alternating Monday's and Tuesdays starting around 5pm until late.

misha rf
05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
:roflhard: I'm a Michelle that gets Melissa all the time. :?? :roflhard:

Me too!!! It's so nice not to be the only one. :) Funny story: On my very first date, the guy ran into one of his buddies and introduced me as "Melissa." Needless to say, we didn't go out again. (He was an octopus too--ew!)

And I always have to spell my name, b/c I only have one "l" in it. (Although the majority of my relatives spell it with 2...*sigh*)

wewantmore
05-26-2007, 06:32 AM
Who all can make the June get together? I'm getting excited. :woot:

PixieKnits
05-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Depends on where it is :) I might be able to convince hubby to make a day trip so i can hang out!

Shandeh
05-27-2007, 03:11 AM
I can't believe I haven't checked our North Carolina thread in so long! I'm BAD! :help:

Our next get-together is scheduled for Saturday, June 9th at 12:00 Noon at Dan Nicholas Park (http://www.dannicholas.net/contactus.aspx) in Salisbury (halfway between Charlotte and Greensboro).
http://bestsmileys.com/happy/7.gif http://bestsmileys.com/happy/5.gif
It will be outside, and we will each bring our own food for a picnic lunch. Everyone is welcome to bring their whole family, and the kids can all play together. That day is World Wide Knit in Public Day (http://www.wwkipday.com/), so we'll be able to knit in public together!
http://bestsmileys.com/happy/2.gif

Who will be able to come?

wewantmore
05-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I'll be there. xxx

Well most likely doing this :frog:

tmsl
05-27-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm opening a LYS in Hickory.........

Can't wait to see you guys.......

Laura

Shandeh
05-27-2007, 08:04 PM
WOW!!!! You GO girl!!! :cheering:

Let us know when the grand opening of your yarn store is scheduled, so we can all be there!

wewantmore
05-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Depending on when, I'd be up for a road trip to a new store. :woot:

Virtuous36
05-28-2007, 10:48 AM

Ok sorry about that.
Yes I have only been to Knit One Stitch Too like twice and even though I did not have a bad experience with them, I wouldn't run back to them either.

I absolutely LOVE Charlotte Yarn :heart: and that is my fav LYS!

I tried to put my blog address in my siggy but was not successful here it is: www.crimsonpurl.blogspot.com (http://www.crimsonpurl.blogspot.com)

I more than likely will not be able to make the June 9th Knit in Public Gathering in Salisbury

Shandeh
05-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I just called to reserve a 30 person shelter for us. I hope we get it!

If one is not available, I'll get us a couple picnic tables, I guess.
http://www.dannicholas.net/picnics.aspx

misha rf
05-28-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm opening a LYS in Hickory.........

Can't wait to see you guys.......

Laura

OK, I realize this is gonna sound silly, but which Hickory? Mapquest says there are 2 in NC (Catawba & Nash counties).

And I won't be able to make it on the 9th. :pout:

lahgeek
05-28-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm a former Hudson Valley New York girl, but I love NC. I'm living in Durham. Are there any "events" for KIP day in the area?

wewantmore
05-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Sandy thanks for reserving some space. I didn't even think of that. :doh:

Lookie at all the NC'ers coming out of the woodwork. Welcome. xxx

Shandeh
05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm a former Hudson Valley New York girl, but I love NC. I'm living in Durham. Are there any "events" for KIP day in the area?
The only one I know about is our get-together at Dan Nicholas Park!
Our next get-together is scheduled for next Saturday, June 9th at 12:00 Noon at Dan Nicholas Park (http://www.dannicholas.net/contactus.aspx) in Salisbury (halfway between Charlotte and Greensboro).
http://bestsmileys.com/happy/7.gif http://bestsmileys.com/happy/5.gif
It will be outside, and we will each bring our own food and beverage for a picnic lunch. Everyone is welcome to bring their whole family, and the kids can all play together. That day is World Wide Knit in Public Day (http://www.wwkipday.com/), so we'll be able to knit in public together!

Sandy thanks for reserving some space. I didn't even think of that. :doh:

No problem!! My hubby called this morning and used his card to reserve two picnic tables for us. (Unfortunately, the shelters were all taken) :pout: We have the tables reserved ALL DAY, from 10 AM until 8 PM. :happydance: There is also a grill there if anyone wants to use it. (But you'll be responsible for manning the grill on your own.)

We will be using Table I (the letter - not the number)
It's reserved in my name - Sandy Davis
(They say the tables are in the shade, but bring sunscreen just in case.)

I think it would also be a good idea for us to bring some lawn chairs too, just in case we need them. We HAVE to be able to sit and knit! :wink:

wewantmore
05-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Sandy what type of needles to you knit with?

I only use bamboo, but am looking to get an interchangable set. I'm like the Options but I'd want to 'try' them out first.

Michelle

Shandeh
05-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Michelle, I knit with whatever I can find, but I seem to have trouble knitting with wood or bamboo. I guess it's because I am a tight knitter.

I've always wanted the Options needles, because they look a lot like Addi Turbos (which I absolutely ADORE!).

Knitting4babybear gave me a set of Denise needles, and I bought some extra cables (pink) for them. I like them because they are lightweight, and SO EASY to put together. You just put them together and twist. And they don't come loose as I'm knitting. :thumbsup:

I also have a set of Boye Interchangeables that I bought from Kirochka for a song. I like them too, but they tend to come loose sometimes as I'm knitting. I try really hard to tighten the joins, but my tendonitis keeps me from getting them tight enough sometimes. :pout:

So, I guess to answer your question, I knit with LOTS of different needles. But, like you....I want to try the Options. :heart:

wewantmore
05-30-2007, 06:13 AM
I might just need to put those on my Christmas 'wish list'.

Anyway I can beg you to bring both interchangables so I can 'feel' them? :wink:

tmsl
05-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Catawba, North of Charlotte. We plan to open in mid August....

Shandeh
05-30-2007, 12:38 PM
...can I beg you to bring both interchangables so I can 'feel' them? :wink:

Hopefully, I'll remember....but YES, I will bring them. They are WAY EASY to tote around. :thumbsup:

turtlegirl76
05-30-2007, 02:54 PM
The June Meeting will be held on June 5th at 6pm at Providence Baptist Church. (See the blog (http://cltkg.blogspot.com)for directions)

Topic: Summer Reading

Looking for your summer reading? Come hear about knitting in fiction. Piper Garwacki will talk about Friday Night Knitting Club, Rachel Eldridge will discuss Maggie Sefton's murder mysteries and Amy Rogers, publisher of Novello Festival Press, will present The Knitting Circle. If you have your own favorite novel featuring knitting, please bring it. And we'll do some planning for next year's programs, so bring your ideas and opinions.

Hope to see you there!

wewantmore
05-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks Sandy.

lissalue
05-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I will be there too. By "I" I mean, all 5 of us.:teehee:

I also have Denise interchangeables, and they will be with me.

I am going to order Options as soon as I recover from my trip to Texas. I got to try Lisa's while I was there and they are awesome!!!:cheering:

lestrella
05-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Wow! I've been gone for a little while and all of a sudden everything changes and there's so much going on here. It's so nice to see the NC forum so active.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it on June 9th. But, I'll look forward to meeting you all soon. I'll be out of the country until July 5 but after that I'm pretty much available.

tmls, congratulations on your business adventure. All the best!!!:heart:

I love knitting with bamboos(sp). I don't like the aluminum needles.

lissalue, how was your trip to texas?

Sandy, I noticed that now we have a especial place in the forum for charity knitting. You rock!!!

BTW, today I went to the Lazy 5 Ranch in Moorisville. It was a lot of fun. I definitely have to take my son there again. We went on a school trip so we didn't have as much time to explore around.

My birthday is on October too. I'll be 37!!!!

:muah::hug:

lissalue
05-30-2007, 10:53 PM
THe trip was great Lestrella, thanks for asking.:hug:

When is your trip? I know you will have a great time!

Shandeh
05-30-2007, 11:01 PM
You're welcome, Michelle. :)

Melissa, your family will have a lot of fun at the park, I bet! :thumbsup:

Lestrella, I'm sorry you can't come. :pout:
I hope you have fun during your international travels, my friend. :heart:

tmsl, let us know if you need us to knit any samples for your shop! :wink:

turtlegirl, maybe I'll make it for a meeting over the summer. You can be there to "protect" me from that one meanie I met before. :teehee:

You all might be wondering where I am for the next few days. I'll be a busy girl, getting ready for my piano students' recital on Saturday. I'll do my best to check back in, though.

While I'm away, why don't you all discuss who will definitely be coming to the get-together? If you can't come, let us know that as well.

So far, here's who I THINK will be there:

Shandeh (me) :P
Lissalue, DH, 3 kids
wewantmore
tmsl

Did I miss anyone?

Shandeh
05-31-2007, 12:00 AM
I just spent the last hour searching through this thread for those of you who have posted that you live in North Carolina, or requested to know when we are having another get-together.

According to my calculations, there are 43 of us that can possibly attend North Carolina KH get-togethers. :shock:

So, I am sending an invitation to all of you for our June get-together. Hopefully, some of you can come. :muah:

wewantmore
05-31-2007, 08:01 AM
43 :noway: Wow that is awesome that we have so many knitters in the area.

Sandy my whole family will be there for me plus 3. :ick: I'm hoping Steven will take the kids to the fun stuff so I can sit and chat, er I mean knit, yeah knit. xxx

Yesterday we went to Landsford Canel State Park. The Spider Lillies are in bloom. What a sight to see. So pretty. I highly recommend the trip to see them. I think they bloom through June, but some were already past bloom time.

Michelle

knitting4babybear
05-31-2007, 10:28 AM
:waah: babybear, I wouldn't like for you to go back to NY. I'm going to pray so you can pass your test next time and that way you won't have to go back to NY.

AW! :muah::muah::muah::hug::hug::hug:

Sweet. :)

Liss I didn't forget you, and I still want to hang. I'll send you an email... :)

HELLO NEW NC KNITTERS! Welcome all! I've been naughty and MIA, but I'm glad we have more friends in NC.

PixieKnits
05-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Im going to ask Dear hubby Tonight if he'll crate me all the way there! LOL its about 3 hours from my house.. so we'll see!

Shandeh
05-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Yay!!! More of you can come now! Woo Hoo! :happydance:

Last night, it took over an hour to invite the 43 KHers I found. Our forum is set up where you can send messages to 5 members at once, but you have to wait 60 seconds between each message. Needless to say, there were quite a few times I was counting seconds in time with the clock on the wall, waiting to send the next invite! :teehee:

The 43 members I found are NOT all located in NC, but some of them have said that they visit the area occasionally. So, they wanted to be invited if we had any get-togethers. I would say that we have more than 35 KHers in our state. :thumbsup:

Here is the updated list (so far) of those who will be attending our NC get-together at Dan Nicholas Park in Salisbury.

Lissalue, DH, 3 kids
wewantmore, DH, 2 kids (and one on the way!)
tmsl
knitting4babybear (riding with Shandeh)
Doodknitwit (riding with Shandeh)

and possibly PixieKnits!

:cheering::grphug::cheering:

Just a reminder....we will each be responsible for bringing our own food and beverage for the picnic. You're welcome to share if you want, but you are not required to do so. Don't forget to bring sunglasses and sunscreen and hats! Plan on wearing jeans or shorts, and comfortable shoes, so we can enjoy the park while we're there!
:sun:

wewantmore
06-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Don't forget bathing suits for the kids. They have a 'sprinkler park' thingy.

So excited. :woot:

knitting4babybear
06-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Good Lord! I saw the word bathing suits and almost had a heartattack! LOL!

For the kids, for the kids.... WHEW! :D

wewantmore
06-01-2007, 04:16 PM
:roflhard: Yeah you ain't getting me in one of those things.

Stopped by Charlotte Yarn. Man I love that place. But was still very overwhelmed. So much I don't know about yarns. Didn't help that I had the kids with me. :hair: I swore I was not going there with the kids, but I was in the area and well..............

I didn't buy any yarn, just more needles.

turtlegirl76
06-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Stop by on a Saturday some time and I'll be happy to tell you all you need to know about the yarns there! I'm working tomorrow and on the 23rd as well.

kdfrazier
06-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Another New knitter in NC, we recently moved to the Triangle area from SC. (Moved from one capital city to another). Wish we could come to the KIP on 6-9, especially since there's a water-thingy for the children.:sun: -Maybe next year- Anyone else from these parts? Would love to find a knitting buddy near-by :XX:

Shandeh
06-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Welcome kdfrazier! :muah:

Why can't you come to this get-together?
We'd LOVE to have you there!

Loutie
06-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi,

I just found this site and joined, today. I am surprised to find NC knitters plus backyard knitters in Brunswick and New Hanover
This is fantastic! I am teaching myself to knit and it looks like I really lucked up on a great site!! What was the name of the Wilmington store again?

katiebug081504
06-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I have to work...poo

wewantmore
06-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Stop by on a Saturday some time and I'll be happy to tell you all you need to know about the yarns there! I'm working tomorrow and on the 23rd as well.

It was nice to meet you today. Sorry we couldn't chat more.

Had to frog the hat. :frog: I'm getting so darn frustrated with this pattern. I swear it can't be this difficult. :hair:

lizardknits
06-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Another New knitter in NC, we recently moved to the Triangle area from SC. (Moved from one capital city to another). Wish we could come to the KIP on 6-9, especially since there's a water-thingy for the children.:sun: -Maybe next year- Anyone else from these parts? Would love to find a knitting buddy near-by :XX:
wait, where is the triangle again? do you mean the research triangle? laike raleigh and stuff like that? I live in Greensboro, in University area.

Sandy, did you get my PM? I might be able to make it. Put me on the possible list ( if I come, my mom will probably have her kntting with her too, since she doesnt like to read on car trips :teehee:)

kdfrazier
06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
wait, where is the triangle again? do you mean the research triangle? laike raleigh and stuff like that? I live in Greensboro, in University area.

Yes, we've moved to Raleigh. When you say University area, do you mean UNC?

kdfrazier
06-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Welcome kdfrazier! :muah:

Why can't you come to this get-together?
We'd LOVE to have you there!

Thank you for your hugg-y welcome
The main reason for not able to come is transportation.
:(

lizardknits
06-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Yes, we've moved to Raleigh. When you say University area, do you mean UNC? I mean UNC Greensboro....

not UNC....

Shandeh
06-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Lizardknits, I hope you can both come!

kdfrazier, maybe you can work out transportation with another KHer in your area. Where do you live?

kdfrazier
06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Where do you live?

We recently moved to North Raleigh.

PixieKnits
06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Im so sad, i won't be able to join you girls! :( my husband has weekend duty that weekend!

Shandeh
06-04-2007, 10:51 PM
We recently moved to North Raleigh.
Well, I hope that someone here in the forum will try to contact you to carpool together!

Im so sad, i won't be able to join you girls! :( my husband has weekend duty that weekend!
Bummer! :pout: Maybe next time. :hug:

lissalue
06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
:pout:It doesn't look like i will be able to come anymore either. my dh got an opportuity to work, and we need the money, so work wins. i would come by myself, but me and 3 children travelling that far and doing the whole day by ourselves doesn't really equal fun to me, especially since i probably wouldn't get to knit while there. :verysad: I hope y'all have fun though. :muah::hug:

Shandeh
06-06-2007, 02:19 AM
:pout: We'll miss you, Melissa! :pout:

Shandeh
06-06-2007, 02:52 AM
Can you believe our NC get-together is THIS WEEKEND!?!?!?!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Here is the updated list of attendees for our get together:
wewantmore, DH, 2 kids (and one on the way!)
tmsl
knitting4babybear (riding with Shandeh)
Doodknitwit (riding with Shandeh)
and possibly Lizardknits

My hubby can't go, so I'll be coming alone. The good thing for me is that I'll be picking up two KHers to ride along! :)

So, that's 3 from Charlotte, 1 from Greensboro, 1 from Hickory, and one other North Carolinian.

Just 9 of us (including family), so we'll have LOTS of room to spread out! :teehee:

I've already looked at the weather forecast for Salisbury for that day, and it looks like it will be a cloudy morning, and a sunny afternoon, with temperatures ranging from a low of 63 to a high of 91 degrees. Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

Yesterday, I received a confirmation package from Dan Nicholas Park, with instructions for our visit.

Here are the park rules:

No alcoholic beverages
No firearms
No electric scooters or battery operated/remote control toys
No wet clothing on the train, carousel, or paddleboats.
Pets must be on a leash
Children under age 16, riding bikes, must wear a safety helmet
Fishermen must sign in at the concessions standAs I said before, I reserved two picnic tables for us. You can help pay for it if you want, but you don't have to. We paid $26 to reserve them all day.

Here are the fees for park attractions:
Train or Carousel - $1 per person, per ride
(under age 1 free)
Miniature Golf - $2 per game - play both courses for $3
Paddle Boats - $2 per person for 1/2 hour
(age 3 & under free with paying adult)
Bike Rentals - Single $4, Double $6
Character Boats - $3 per person
(Duck, Dragon, Swan, and Pelican)
Fishing - $1.50 (county residents) $2.50 (out-of-county)
Uncle Tom's Barn - 50 cents per entry
(under age 5 free)
Rowan Wildlife Adventures -
Adults $1, under age 10 is 50 cents, under age 1 free

I've never been there before, and I don't know if I'll be able to do much walking with my bad knee, so I'll probably just be hangin' out at the picnic table, knitting the day away. If any of you want to check out the park attractions, I'll watch your stuff at the table. :)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1256/532859346_5dfed8a70c_o.jpg

wewantmore
06-06-2007, 09:20 AM
:woot:

I'm so excited. Now to figure out what to bring to knit. This hat is still giving me fits. :frog:

Shandeh
06-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, you could bring the hat, and we could see if one of us can figure out how to help. Who knows? :shrug:

I'll probably bring some socks to work on. I'm making slipper socks for my Grandma, and regular socks for my son. I might also bring my Willa top.

I'll probably look like an old lady, because I plan on wearing my straw hat. :teehee:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/79/269581907_d0a87077de.jpg

But, I'm not bringing my spinning wheel....OR the angora rabbit. :roflhard:
(The rabbit doesn't belong to me anyway.)

wewantmore
06-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Oh I was hoping the rabbit would be coming too.

I might just bring this stupid hat. Just because I do need HELP.

tmsl
06-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Sorry guys, but I can't make it.:pout: We have work to do on the store and we have help committed for this Saturday. Sandy-I met your cousin at the airport in Columbus this weekend. Small world.

Laura

Shandeh
06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Oh I was hoping the rabbit would be coming too.
:teehee:

Sorry guys, but I can't make it.:pout: We have work to do on the store and we have help committed for this Saturday. Sandy-I met your cousin at the airport in Columbus this weekend. Small world.
Bummer! :pout: Laura, ONE day I will actually get to meet you.

At least, you met my COUSIN, so you're one step closer to meeting me! Was it Sara that you met? Isn't she wonderful? :)

PixieKnits
06-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Man that place looks mighty fun i hate it when the military makes you work weekends! :(

Shandeh
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Man that place looks mighty fun i hate it when the military makes you work weekends! :(
:waah: I wish you could come!

lizardknits
06-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Well, you could bring the hat, and we could see if one of us can figure out how to help. Who knows? :shrug:

I'll probably bring some socks to work on. I'm making slipper socks for my Grandma, and regular socks for my son. I might also bring my Willa top.

I'll probably look like an old lady, because I plan on wearing my straw hat. :teehee:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/79/269581907_d0a87077de.jpg

But, I'm not bringing my spinning wheel....OR the angora rabbit. :roflhard:
(The rabbit doesn't belong to me anyway.)

that is a cool straw hat

btw, Sandy, you look like my mother. I swear you look like my mother. A blonde version of my mother. see enclosed picture

http://photos-690.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v61/131/122/169803943/n169803943_30275690_3063.jpg

oh yeah
and thats our baby doll with her
hehe
her name is Hannah

lestrella
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
You guys are going to have a lot of fun. How I wish I can come too...

My husband just came back from NY today. I'm so happy he's back. I don't think I could've gone another day without him. I'm bit. I've been running up and down lately. End of the school year is always crazy. Plus, I've been trying to get ready for our trip to colombia.

My family is moving back to Florida on Saturday. I won't be sending my son to school tomorrow so we can spend the day with the family.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and say hi. I'm sure you guys are going to have a blast at the park.

:hug::hug: