wewantmore
12-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks Sandy.

Shandeh
12-14-2007, 09:32 PM
:muah:

Howdovely
12-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Hello fellow knitters. I received a message from doodknitwit this morning and realized I never updated anyone here.

I missed our Dec. 1 gathering due to needing to fly to Florida to be with my Dad. I arrived at his home at 12:45 pm, and he passed away at 5 pm. I was the first of his children to arrive, and it seems he waited for one of us. I told him he didn't need to wait for the others, they all understood.

I then wound up driving to Austin TX with my brother on Thursday and Friday, and finally flew home from there this past Sunday.

It has been a whirlwind of emotions lately, and I am grateful for the knitting and holiday things that need to be done, just to try to keep my mind off of things. I cry a lot now as a hobby, (haha) so I keep some wine handy to make a little party out of it. LOL!!!

Looking forward to the next gathering. God willing, I'll make it this time!
Brenda

Shandeh
12-15-2007, 06:40 PM
:heart: :heart: Brenda:heart: :heart:

Doodknitwit
12-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Hugs... thinking of you and yours.. :hug:

wewantmore
12-17-2007, 09:16 AM
:grphug: Brenda

Shandeh
12-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Hello everyone! :hug:

Some of you may know knitting4babybear. She was at our very first NC get-together.

Well, I just found out that she is moving to New York, and she wants us to get together before she leaves.

She has requested that we all get together on the Friday after Christmas (December 28th). I'm thinking that we should choose a location on the north side of Charlotte, since that's where she lives.

Maybe we can reserve the room at the library again! :)

What time would work for you guys?

wewantmore
12-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm up for it. Though I will have 3 tag alongs. :clink:

Shandeh
12-20-2007, 04:06 AM
Yay! I love your kids. :hug:

lizardknits
12-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Idk

i'd love to come and meet you guys and show off my new ankle walker....lol(I'll be in this thing, which looks like a big ski boot, for 4-5 weeks. I got it on Thursday)At least im not on crutches anymore, heh

If you had said somewhere else I might consider but since I dont drive idk

which library were you speaking of?

Shandeh
12-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Aw, I hope you can come, lizardknits.
We met at a library up there once before. Lestrella set it up for us. I'll check with her, so I can remember where it is.

wewantmore
12-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Maybe it was the University Library.

Shandeh
12-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I just can't remember. We talked about it somewhere in this thread.

Well, so far, only 3 of us have agreed to get together. So, maybe we should wait until after the new year.

Is it okay with you guys if we put it off?

lizardknits
12-27-2007, 09:24 PM
no problem with me
just tell me the place and time and I might be able to come

wewantmore
12-27-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm cool with waiting too.

katiebug081504
12-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Do any of you know of a yarn store in NC or online that sells leather purse handles?

Shandeh
12-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Do any of you know of a yarn store in NC or online that sells leather purse handles?
No, but I usually get purse handles by buying purses at Goodwill for a few dollars and removing the handles. :wink:

lizardknits
12-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Maybe it was the University Library.
or what about North County?
maybe it was noth county
idk

Doodknitwit
12-29-2007, 01:07 AM

they have some...
They are on Hwy 51 in Mint Hill..

Shandeh
12-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Just in case you didn't see the title of Doodknitwit's message, she's referring to Cottage Yarn. :)

katiebug081504
12-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Hello! I'm trying to start an Etsy business/my own website. I know that I need to fill out a DBA form since I'm not using my name in the business. Do any of you know of anything else I need to do?

katiebug081504
12-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Ergh..sorry for 2 post. I didn't see the first one!

Shandeh
12-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Ergh..sorry for 2 post. I didn't see the first one!
No worries....:hug: ...I fixed it for ya!

Doodknitwit
01-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Hello! I'm trying to start an Etsy business/my own website. I know that I need to fill out a DBA form since I'm not using my name in the business. Do any of you know of anything else I need to do?

Go to the Gaston County register of deeds.. they have the form you can fill out the name of thre business, sign get notarized and file there for $14:psst:

Jessica Cobb
01-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Hi everyone! I haven't been on KH in so, so long! I've been neglecting it, and I feel just awful. Even though I've never been to any of the NC knitters gatherings, I'd love to come to one in the future.

I just wanted to re-introduce myself since I haven't been on in forever. I'm Jessica. I'm 20 years old, and I live in Gaston County (like 15ish minutes from Charlotte). How has everyone been doing?

I hope the new year is starting off great for all of you! :hug:

wewantmore
01-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Welcome back Jessica.

Well I got some knitting done yesterday. More work on my first pair of socks. Boy are these needles SMALL.

katiebug081504
01-02-2008, 02:20 PM
I've been working on socks for so long that size 8 needles seem huge...as well as worsted weight yarn.

Shandeh
01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Welcome back, Jessica! :hug:

Way to go on the socks, Michelle! :thumbsup:

And katiebug, I agree. When I set aside socks to work on a blanket, the needles feel HUGE in comparison! :shock:

katiebug081504
01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Argh! This business things is frustrating. I sent in the $14 check and they returned it saying "Not in Gaston County Jail System." So, I'm going to call them tomorrow. Does anyone know if I need to fill out different tax forms? I've discovered we have a resource for small business on campus, so I'm going to check that out tomorrow too.

Doodknitwit
01-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Argh! This business things is frustrating. I sent in the $14 check and they returned it saying "Not in Gaston County Jail System." So, I'm going to call them tomorrow. Does anyone know if I need to fill out different tax forms? I've discovered we have a resource for small business on campus, so I'm going to check that out tomorrow too.
Did you make the check and send to the Register of Deeds?
You need to go there get the Doing Buisness As- D/B/A
form
fill it out have notarized (there's probably a paralegal working there that can notarize $5.) or take to a bank in the vicinity, then file the doc $14 there at the RD!!!

lestrella
01-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi! I hope everyone is doing well. Itís been a long time since the last time I stopped by.

I started a new job recently and havenít even have time to knit. For those of you who didnít know, I was working as a teacher assistant at the school where my son goes. Two weeks after I got hired, they had to displaced me because, according to CMS, there were too many staff and not enough students. Anyway, the thing is that I was transferred to another school, another great school. The school works very different. Instead of working in one classroom all day, I go to about 9 classes per day; all different grade levels. Itís good but Iím still trying to adjust to the new routine and by the time I get home Iím too tired to knit or do anything else. Well, I still have to do my homework. Iím basically helping the kids with math and literacy and since I donít remember the last time I took a math class, I have to do the homework as well to refresh my memory.

Unfortunately, I had to give up my knitting club at the other school. I didnít want to give that up but my schedule wouldnít allowed me to continue it. The good thing is that I convinced my friend and assistants to keep it, at least until the end of the school year. Yeah!!! During the holidays, we donated over 70 baby hats to the Carolina Medical Center in Pineville. :woohoo: !!!

Also, I have been really busy at home. Remember my puppy? Well, he is huge now and he is destroying everything. We took a whole weekend to finish putting the fence in our backyard so we can give him more freedom during the day. It really helps him to burn some energy but it doesnít really help in keeping the house clean.

Last weekend, one of the toilets was running all night and we didnít realized that until like 1:45 AM. The first floor was flooded. At that time, my husband and I started taking water out and mopping the floor. It was not a pretty picture. Our wood floor got ruined a little bit. It lost the gloss.

Plans for the weekend? Iím going to try to do my car inspection first thing in the morning. It was due in October. After that, we are going the Scholastics in Huntersville. My son wants to ride the train also. At some point, I have to go grocery shopping and clean the house. On Sunday, Iím taking my son to a birthday party. AndÖI think thatís it for the weekend.

Ok, I think this is it for now. Have a great weekend everyone!!!!:hug: :muah:

Shandeh
01-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow, you've been BUSY Lestrella! :shock:

Don't forget to make time for yourself, my friend.
You deserve to be happy. :muah:

Doodknitwit
01-12-2008, 10:09 AM
wow amazing the load you carry. i too am training for a new career... i have now 18 insurance licenses for diff states. :eyes: :eyes: :wall: I'm praying for both of us :psst:

:blooby: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Shandeh
01-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Doodknitwit, that's a LOT of states to keep up with. OMG! :shock:

I used to be an insurance agent, so I know exactly how much work you're doing.
:notworthy:

Ellawyn
01-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Oh man! Is that a hard career move? Insurance sales? I've actually gotten several offers for a job in that field.. Am I getting in over my head??

Doodknitwit
01-12-2008, 10:09 PM
:waving: yes it is..Pray hard Shandeh...:roflhard: after all I'm a knitwit ya know.:happydance: :yay: :X: :X: :X:
:blooby:

lestrella
01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow! Dooknitwit, how do you keep track of insurance laws for all those states?
shandeh, it was really nice talking to you yesterday. Thank you for checking on me.
Well, I didn't get to do the car inspection yesterday. Didn't ride the train either. Today, I didn't feel like going to that birthday party with my son so I told my husband to take him. I'm just home...chilling. The house is a complete mess but I don't care. I don't feel like doing anything.
My husband is going to go graocery shopping later on. Then, we'll both clean up a little bit tonight. It's more fun to clean when you have company:teehee: .
I probably won't get online until next weekend. So...have a wonderful week!!!:muah:

Shandeh
01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Enjoy your time of rest, Lestrella! :hug:

tmsl
01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Come on up to Hickory next week!!!

Laura

Shandeh
01-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I wish I could be there, Laura!

Tomorrow (Saturday, January 19th), some of us from Ravelry are planning on getting together at Dilworth Coffeehouse (http://www.dilworthcoffee.com/)in Mint Hill. We're planning on meeting at 2:00, weather permitting.

Here's a map: http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-wireless-hotspot-Mint-Hill-North-Carolina-NC-US-Dilworth-Coffee-House-1251403.htm

I hope to see some of you there!

misha rf
01-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Come on up to Hickory next week!!!

Laura

OOOH! Working on getting the Husband to want to take a road trip, because I have to knit in the car! :rofl:

Doodknitwit
01-20-2008, 01:56 AM
I wish I could be there, Laura!

Tomorrow (Saturday, January 19th), some of us from Ravelry are planning on getting together at Dilworth Coffeehouse (http://www.dilworthcoffee.com/)in Mint Hill. We're planning on meeting at 2:00, weather permitting.

Here's a map: http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-wireless-hotspot-Mint-Hill-North-Carolina-NC-US-Dilworth-Coffee-House-1251403.htm

I hope to see some of you there!

how was the get together? it started snowing here 12 ish.

time2knit
01-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone,
How wonderful to find this group!
I'm Jeanie - new to Vale (between Lincolnton and Hickory), formerly of Charlotte. I truly love this country-living but am longing to meet knitters and new friends out here in beautiful west Lincoln.
I've been knitting about 3 years now, can't sit down without needles in my hands.
Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Eccie
01-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm Jeanie - new to Vale (between Lincolnton and Hickory), formerly of Charlotte. I truly love this country-living but am longing to meet knitters and new friends out here in beautiful west Lincoln.
I've been knitting about 3 years now, can't sit down without needles in my hands.

welcome aboard :) I used to live in Vale. I live in Lincolnton now

Shandeh
01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
how was the get together? it started snowing here 12 ish.
I stopped by to say hello, then went home because of the storm. (My back right tire is almost bald, so I was afraid to try driving on ice with it.)

There were 4 knitters gathered, and they wanted me to stay, but they understood my situation.

It sure is cold, isn't it? http://bestsmileys.com/cold/3.gif

I'm Jeanie - new to Vale (between Lincolnton and Hickory), formerly of Charlotte.
Welcome, Jeanie! :hug:

Doodknitwit
01-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Hi everyone,
Go to Hickory to Strand of Purls!! its the best yarn shop in the area!! Laura the owner is also a KHer!! you will love the place & Laura!:waving: :waving:

time2knit
01-21-2008, 01:15 PM
I've been looking for Strand of Purls- didn't know the name and thought I'd have to wait for the new Hickory yellow pages to come out. I'll stop by very soon and meet Laura. Thanks!
I go to Brandi's sit&knit at Wildskeins every Tuesday night. I look forward to it each week. Just a great relaxing evening- lots of laughter and chatter. Brandi is a treasure and quite the hostess.
Are you in Hickory?

Jeanie

wildirish
01-21-2008, 01:22 PM
I seem to be on the wrong side of NC LOL! I am in Swanannoa about 3 exits east of Asheville.

time2knit
01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi!
So you moved to the 'big city' of Lincolnton, huh? It's a very nice town.
My husband and I bought 20 acres and an old homestead last March and are thankful every single day to be away from Charlotte. I miss my knitting friends but am meeting new ones in Hickory.
Where are all the Lincolnton knitters hiding? I talked with the Co-op Extension people and the downtown librarians to locate a group but no luck. I'm glad to find you!
Jeanie

time2knit
01-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Sorry everyone - I replied to messages but didn't connect with the thread. Obviously, I have little talent for computers .....but I can knit!
Jeanie

Shandeh
01-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Welcome everyone! :muah:

I hope that we can have another NC get-together in the Spring!

Howdovely
01-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I seem to be on the wrong side of NC LOL! I am in Swanannoa about 3 exits east of Asheville.

I just drove by you yesterday!! I live near Lexington, but we went to Biltmore House yesterday. If I new you were there, I would have waved from the highway!

Howdovely
01-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Welcome everyone! :muah:

I hope that we can have another NC get-together in the Spring!

I'll be sure to be there. Furniture Market takes up a LOT of my time, but hopefully the timing will be right.

misha rf
01-21-2008, 08:49 PM

No you're not! I'm actually south of Asheville, and spend a lot of time volunteering near Black Mountain.

Doodknitwit
01-22-2008, 02:07 AM

Been to Burnsville Yummi Yarns? in desgin center behind the Nu Wray Inn

Doodknitwit
01-22-2008, 02:10 AM
I've been looking for Strand of Purls- didn't know the name and thought I'd have to wait for the new Hickory yellow pages to come out. I'll stop by very soon and meet Laura. Thanks!
I go to Brandi's sit&knit at Wildskeins every Tuesday night. I look forward to it each week. Just a great relaxing evening- lots of laughter and chatter. Brandi is a treasure and quite the hostess.
Are you in Hickory?

Jeanie

No I'm not in Hickory but the Strand is on the same road that Wildskeins about 2.5 miles on opposite side of the road.:blooby:

wildirish
01-22-2008, 09:14 AM
WOW! When I looked through the thread it semed most were at least a couple hours away LOL! Haven't been to Burnsville stores! We have a small one over here in Candler called The Yarn Nook, and I knit projects for her store, which is fun LOL!

tmsl
01-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Welcome Jeanie and Wild Irish!! I'm Laura who owns "A Strand of Purls" and I am on 127 next to Udderly Delicious Ice Cream (I am amazed how many people want ice cream when it is this cold!!). I have tried to buy different yarns for my store than what Brandy has so we can have more of a selection in town.

Check us out when you have time!! (We are having a sale now through the 31st)

Laura

time2knit
01-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Welcome Jeanie and Wild Irish!! I'm Laura who owns "A Strand of Purls" and I am on 127 next to Udderly Delicious Ice Cream (I am amazed how many people want ice cream when it is this cold!!). I have tried to buy different yarns for my store than what Brandy has so we can have more of a selection in town.

Check us out when you have time!! (We are having a sale now through the 31st)

Laura

Thanks, Laura. I found you yesterday. You have a beautiful shop, beautiful yarns. As soon as I complete the projects I have underway, I'll be back!
Jeanie

Belphoebe
02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Hello all! Sorry I've been so quiet for so long, but this school year has been a bear. To add to it all, my dd, age three, got kicked out of preschool last week. She isn't usually naughty for us at home, other than typical three-year-old antics, but apparently she was more than a handful at school. Too add insult to injury, she was attending school in the district in which I teach. Have any other NC mothers have their kids "removed" like that? I'm still in the completely mortified stage. I'm sure I'll laugh about it....someday....:pout:

wewantmore
02-12-2008, 07:53 AM
I've been quite the slacker buddy.

I'm in a funk, but getting out. Nothing a little :clink: can't fix. LOL just kidding.

Michelle

Shandeh
02-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Belphoebe, so sorry about your daughter. But, I'm sure she'll grow out of it. She's still so young. :hug: When my three boys were little, I thought that 3's were MUCH more difficult than 2's. I always disagreed when I heard people talk about the "terrible twos". I always said, "No....it's the "Threrrible Threes!" :teehee:

Michelle, don't be blue, my friend. :muah:

We need to start planning a Spring NC get-together, don't we?

wewantmore
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Yes a get together is a must.

I agree Joseph's 3's are soooooooo bad. :ick:

WolfWalker
02-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if I ever introduced myself, so I thought it was about time. LOL! I'm Debra and I live in Hope Mills, sort of the southeastern part of the state. I'm married and live with dh, 8 cats, and 1 species-confused dog.......she thinks that she's a very large cat. I drive an EC school bus (have driven bus for 30 years now) M-F, and also drive delivery for a local florist M-Sat.

My mom tried to teach me how to knit when I was little, but I couldn't work the two needles and the yarn, so instead she taught me to crochet. Fast forward many years later and I decided that I would learn to knit, and I taught myself a couple years ago how to knit using books and the internet. Knitting came so easily to me this time around....my very first project was a cabled sweater for my dog, then I went into cloths, both knitting and designing them, then I had a time with socks, knit both toe-up and cuff down on dpn's, designed and knit an illusion scarf for my part-time boss, and now I'm working on a cabled sweater (nicknamed by me "the never-ending sea of blue) for dh.

After I finish big blue I want to learn how to knit socks using two circulars and also try magic loop too. Then.......who knows what I'll try next!

Happy knitting to all!
Debra in NC

Shandeh
02-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi Debra! :waving:

lestrella
02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Hello everyone! and welcome new members!!!
I haven't been here for a while and just wanted to stop by and say :waving: .
I had the opportunity to see shandeh this past weekend. We had a great time!
BTW, my friend, lespejel, just joined us. She said she was going to stop by and introduce herself.
I hope you are all enjoying your weekend!!!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

sabrinasmom
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi NC Knitters
My name is Melanie and I live in Thomasville. I love this site:heart: . It has been so interesting to read all the forums and see what people are doing. I have tried to find a knitting group close to home. The only one I have found meets in a restaurant and it tends to be dark where you can't see your knitting. So I knit at home with my lap buddy Sabrina -she's my avatar. I'm lucky in that my mother knits so she gets to fix all of my mistakes :yay: My LYS is Common Threads which has beautiful yarns. Maybe one day there will be another group.
Happy Knitting!!:happydance:

Doodknitwit
03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
welcome to our family!!!:waving:

Belphoebe
03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I've posted on the boards before about how my little "angel," Emma, loves to play with my knitting needles. I've tried about every hiding place except the neighbor's house to keep them from her, but somehow she manages to find them. Well, tonight disaster struck. Emma found them again, grabbed two different metal straight needles, and ran off giggling. Simultaneously I yelled for her to stop running and give them to me, but I wasn't able to get the whole phrase out before she tripped and sent one up her nose. :help: As Emma stood up, bleeding badly, I scooped her up and we went to the emergency room. The bleeding stopped and they were able to find that her nose was scraped but there was no puncture, but I think 25 years are gone off of my life. When I got home I saw how badly bend the needle was and thank GOD it bent that way, otherwise I fear the worst might have happened. I have taken all my needles and locked them in the trunk of my car for now, but tomorrow after work I am going to purchase a lock box for them. I don't know what else to do besides quit knitting. Please keep all of your needles safe and away from kids. I'm SOOOO lucky my little one is o.k.

Eccie
03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I've posted on the boards before about how my little "angel," Emma, loves to play with my knitting needles. I've tried about every hiding place except the neighbor's house to keep them from her, but somehow she manages to find them. Well, tonight disaster struck. Emma found them again, grabbed two different metal straight needles, and ran off giggling. Simultaneously I yelled for her to stop running and give them to me, but I wasn't able to get the whole phrase out before she tripped and sent one up her nose. :help: As Emma stood up, bleeding badly, I scooped her up and we went to the emergency room. The bleeding stopped and they were able to find that her nose was scraped but there was no puncture, but I think 25 years are gone off of my life. When I got home I saw how badly bend the needle was and thank GOD it bent that way, otherwise I fear the worst might have happened. I have taken all my needles and locked them in the trunk of my car for now, but tomorrow after work I am going to purchase a lock box for them. I don't know what else to do besides quit knitting. Please keep all of your needles safe and away from kids. I'm SOOOO lucky my little one is o.k.

OMG I'm soo glad everything is ok. Wow that's scary

Shandeh
03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
How awful!!! :help:
I'm so glad she is okay.

Maybe you can wait a couple years, and then bring them in the house again.

She probably doesn't want to ever see a knitting needle again anyway, after this experience. :pout:

Doodknitwit
03-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Poor baby!! Poor Mommy. I know you were terrified!! would circulars be as dangerous...? I'm grateful she wasn't hurt worse!

wewantmore
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
:grphug::grphug::grphug::grphug::grphug:

Wow how scary.

I've been in an internet funk.

BUT, we splurged and bought an iPhone and a laptop, and wireless router.

Michelle

Shandeh
03-08-2008, 01:18 AM
With an iPhone, you're one of the cool kids now! :thumbsup:

wewantmore
03-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Sandy look at how skinny your face looks. You go girl. :notworthy:

yeah, but the iPhone is Steven's, it was supposed to be mine, but he fell in love with it. :nails:

Belphoebe
03-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Congrats on the weight loss Sandy! You look wonderful!!!! :muah:

Shandeh
03-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Sandy look at how skinny your face looks. You go girl. :notworthy:
Congrats on the weight loss Sandy! You look wonderful!!!! :muah:
Thank you both!! :hug:
I've very proud of losing weight. It's the first time in 12 years that I've been able to do it! Thank God for low carb dieting. :)

yeah, but the iPhone is Steven's, it was supposed to be mine, but he fell in love with it. :nails:
Hey! You tell that guy "Hands Off!" :fingerwag:

Belphoebe
03-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Laura,

I stopped by your store on Saturday. That was me with the harley driving/truck driver man. I LOVED your Sublime yarns!!!! I'm currently trying to find just the right pattern to do the yarns justice. :aww:

lestrella
03-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Belphoebe, I'm so sorry about your little one. Thank God she's ok now. I can only imagine how scary that was for both of you.
Shandeh, I have to agree with these girls. You look great!!!! Congratulations on keeping up with your diet. It's a big commitment and a lot of people give up too soon. Way to go!!!!
By the way, Shandeh, remember the poncho I was working on the last time we saw each other? I finished it. It looks beautiful! Hey, I have to pat myself in the back for that one.:teehee:
Wewantmore, I don't even know what an iphone is. How sad is that? I'm assuming is some kind of phone that lets you use the internet. Is that right?
I went to Michaels today and I bought a bunch of baby soy yarn. It was on sale for $1. My little sister is expecting a little girl and I want to make her a dress. The yarn is so soft. I love it!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.:hug:

Shandeh
03-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the compliment! :)

I can't wait to see your poncho!
Congratulations on finishing it!
:cheering:

tmsl
03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Belphoebe-Well you should have said who you were!!!! We were a little busy trying to make room for all the spring yarns that are arriving. Find that pattern, most of the Sublime is buy 5 get 1 free right now.

Have a great week!!!!

Shandeh
03-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I bet that I would be the same way if I ever went there. I would just be quietly looking at all the yarn. I don't like to draw attention to myself when I'm at a yarn shop.

Funny....once I was at a yarn shop, and was only buying one skein of yarn for a project. The shop owner was taking my payment, and asked if I was just learning to knit. I told her, "No, I've been knitting for a while." She raised her eyebrow at my one skein purchase. :roll:

I was on my way out the door, and another customer recognized me from the forum. She just went on and on about how much she liked my knitting and stuff. I saw the shop owner coming over, and I snuck out the door. I didn't want her to try to sell me anything now. She missed her chance! :teehee:

tmsl
03-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Sandy,
I think I would recognize you!!! Maybe not before you posted your recent picture, you look great with the new haircolor and weight loss. It's working for ya!!!!

:wink:

Laura

Belphoebe
03-13-2008, 12:25 PM
People that have known me a while laugh when I say I'm shy. I really am....until I get comfortable, then watch out! :woot:

Lady Violet
03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Funny....once I was at a yarn shop, and was only buying one skein of yarn for a project.

Sandy, i thought that was the funny part! :rofl:

Shandeh
03-14-2008, 02:18 AM
I think I would recognize you!!! Maybe not before you posted your recent picture, you look great with the new haircolor and weight loss. It's working for ya!!!!
:wink: Laura
Thanks, Laura! :hug:
Sandy, i thought that was the funny part! :rofl:
:teehee:
People that have known me a while laugh when I say I'm shy. I really am....until I get comfortable, then watch out! :woot:
Well, I hope I get to know you. :)

We REALLY need to try to make a get-together happen this Spring. The last two times we've scheduled one, I was not able to participate! :help:

I still have a raincheck for that park we wanted to meet at last year. I think it's still good. (Remember that I reserved a picnic table for us?)

Anyway, I think the raincheck is in my purse. I'll look for it this weekend, and see if we can make arrangements for a Saturday in May. That should give us plenty of time to make our plans!

Hmmm....what was the name of that park? :think:

wewantmore
03-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Hmmm....what was the name of that park?Dan Nicholas. :whistle:

Shandeh
03-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks! :thumbsup:

I'll see what I can find out.

Howdovely
03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Dan Nicholas. :whistle:
Ooooh, I know where Dan Nichols park is! It's not too far from my house. Pretty cool place! Are we planning a meetup there?

Doodknitwit
03-22-2008, 01:11 AM
a lovely lys in Foscoe between Banner Elk and Boone is closing due to the illness of Peg's husband. Please pray for their family!! :pray:

Belphoebe
03-22-2008, 01:39 AM
:pray:

Belphoebe
03-22-2008, 08:02 PM
So...I finally bit the bullet...

You signed up on March 17, 2008
You are #128516 on the list.
4082 people are ahead of you in line.
2516 people are behind you in line.
93% of the list has been invited so farNow I can't wait!!!! :whistle:

Belphoebe
03-23-2008, 11:27 AM
:waving: Happy Easter!

Shandeh
03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Happy Easter! cloud9

Ooooh, I know where Dan Nichols park is! It's not too far from my house. Pretty cool place! Are we planning a meetup there?
Yes! No date yet, but we'll figure something out soon. Probably in May. Why don't you all let me know what Saturdays are good in May in your schedules?

a lovely lys in Foscoe between Banner Elk and Boone is closing due to the illness of Peg's husband. Please pray for their family!! :pray:
:pout:

Howdovely
03-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Happy Easter! cloud9

Yes! No date yet, but we'll figure something out soon. Probably in May. Why don't you all let me know what Saturdays are good in May in your schedules?

:pout:

I can do any Saturday in May so far. If it's a Saturday I'm supposed to go to Raleigh, I'll just leave town after our get together.
If we need a back up plan for inclement weather, we can have our get together at my house if you all want. I map quested it and I'm about 11 miles from the park straight up 85. I'm only two miles off the highway, so I'm real easy to find. Just a thought.

Shandeh
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Yay! A plan AND a back-up plan!! :cheering:

We are DEFINITELY gonna get together in May. :)

Belphoebe
03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
May 3 or 17 work best for me, but whatever works for everyone else is good. :happydance:

tmsl
03-25-2008, 02:32 PM
May's a bust for me...way too many things scheduled already. Remember you guys are always welcome to stop by Hickory and hang out at the store anytime.

laura

Shandeh
03-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the replies! Laura, I wish you could come. Maybe we can plan a detour to your shop on the way there, or on the way back home. :thumbsup:

I'm going to wait for all your feedback, so I can plan my May. I am also planning to have a recital for my piano students that month, so I'm waiting to hear all my students' schedules as well.

I'll give you all an update soon. :)

Belphoebe
03-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Laura's store is GREAT! :woot: I'm taking a class there this Saturday.

Howdovely
03-25-2008, 07:37 PM
I just hit the Mother-Load at Big Lots!!! I found Lion Suede in Fuschia for $1.50 each. I made myself STOP at 16 skeins, only because that's how many the little shopping basket would hold.

WOW!!

I know of only two things I want to knit with it. A hat and scarf for myself, because I realized I never made MYSELF a hat OR a scarf that I liked a lot.
Now, what to do with the other 15 skeins................

Oh, and I found some Patons Brilliant in a petty chocolate "Marvelous Mocha" with little copper flecks throughout. I figured I'd make myself another scarf that would go with a few suits/outfits I have. They were only $1 each. Why did I get four???? Because they were only $1 each.................

Here, I'll see if I remember how to post a picture. The close up shows more accurately the color. LOVE IT!!

Shandeh
03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Way cool! :thumbsup:

I bet that Lion Suede would make a GORGEOUS afghan!

Belphoebe
03-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Lion Suede is sooooo comfy!!! I made some mittens out of it for my brother-in-law. I had to rip them out of my hands to give them to him. Can you imagine what a teddy bear would feel like knit with it? :mmm:

Eccie
03-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Wow that was a great find!

sheilaksp
03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
I have a bunch of Suede yarn, I was going to make a purse out of it but have not gotten to it yet. The yarn is soft but I wasn't sure how it would knit up. Let me know how it knits up, what size needle do you use for knitting the Suede yarn. Also how did you get your Ravely button on your profile?

sheilaksp
03-26-2008, 09:36 AM
I figured out how to add the Ravely button, duh!

Howdovely
03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Lion Suede is sooooo comfy!!! I made some mittens out of it for my brother-in-law. I had to rip them out of my hands to give them to him. Can you imagine what a teddy bear would feel like knit with it? :mmm:
Ooooh, was it an easy mitten pattern? I'm not that brave, but I'd be tempted to make matching mittens to go with my hat and scarf!

Howdovely
03-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Yay! A plan AND a back-up plan!! :cheering:

We are DEFINITELY gonna get together in May. :)

Hmmm... is it too selfish to say I hope it rains the day of our get together so that we HAVE to have it at my house? I was thinking of making it a de-stashing party also. I made the mistake of putting away (or should I say TRYING to put away) all that new yarn and I realized I have GOT to make more room. If we wind up at my house, I'll think up some games where the winners can pick two or three skeins of yarn.

Ya know, games like "If you can knit while sitting on the couch, you win." "If you know how to do a Purl stitch, you win." And the best yet, "If you have ever bought yarn with no project in mind for it, you win."

OK, I'm done rambling. I need to go find more room in the closet for the yarn.

Ugh.

Belphoebe
03-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Ooooh, was it an easy mitten pattern? I'm not that brave, but I'd be tempted to make matching mittens to go with my hat and scarf!

I used the santa mitten pattern from the Lion Brand website. I'll see if I can find the link.

Shandeh
03-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Hmmm... is it too selfish to say I hope it rains the day of our get together so that we HAVE to have it at my house? I was thinking of making it a de-stashing party also. I made the mistake of putting away (or should I say TRYING to put away) all that new yarn and I realized I have GOT to make more room. If we wind up at my house, I'll think up some games where the winners can pick two or three skeins of yarn.

Ya know, games like "If you can knit while sitting on the couch, you win." "If you know how to do a Purl stitch, you win." And the best yet, "If you have ever bought yarn with no project in mind for it, you win."

Hey, if you're gonna offer free yarn, you KNOW we'll be there! :roflhard:

If you're serious, we'll just plan for it to be at your place! :thumbsup:

Howdovely
03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey, if you're gonna offer free yarn, you KNOW we'll be there! :roflhard:

If you're serious, we'll just plan for it to be at your place! :thumbsup:

Oh I'm serious all right..... I'll just pull out the skeins that I have plans for - all the rest can be chosen from for prizes. Then finally what I have left after that, I plan on using my sweater machine to make an oddball blanket out of.

I can do any Saturday in May, but the easier ones are 5/10 and 5/24. That's when my boyfriend will be at my house. If it's on any of the other weekends, I'll just drive to his house after we are done! No biggie!!

Doodknitwit
03-31-2008, 09:43 PM
May's a bust for me...way too many things scheduled already. Remember you guys are always welcome to stop by Hickory and hang out at the store anytime.

laura

a group of us headed up for a Cottage Yarn knitters retreat stopped in at Strand of Purls Friday. we were welcomed warmly of course!!
Found some great yarns and patterns of course!! great to see you Laura! :yay: :happydance: :waving:

Shandeh
04-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Neat! :thumbsup:

Well, Brenda....if you want, we can see who is available to come on May 24th.

Anyone interested in meeting at beekaync's house on May 24th?

I can be there. :)

Howdovely
04-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Neat! :thumbsup:

Well, Brenda....if you want, we can see who is available to come on May 24th.

Anyone interested in meeting at beekaync's house on May 24th?

I can be there. :)
I'll be there! hee hee
That's Memorial Day weekend, but we aren't going anywhere.

Shandeh
04-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Well, if it's just you and me, we'll still have fun! :muah:

wewantmore
04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
I should be able to make it too. I might have to bring the littlest one with me. Or I can have the whole crew come and they can hang at the park.

wildirish
04-01-2008, 10:25 AM
I wish I could, but it is a couple of hours for me and we are already going to Raliegh the 23rd for a bird fair so can't make 2 trips, hubby will kill me LOL!

Shandeh
04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I should be able to make it too. I might have to bring the littlest one with me. Or I can have the whole crew come and they can hang at the park.
Neat! Just to clarify....we're talking about having this event at beekaync's house.
I wish I could, but it is a couple of hours for me and we are already going to Raliegh the 23rd for a bird fair so can't make 2 trips, hubby will kill me LOL!
maybe next time!

wewantmore
04-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Sandy I know we will be meeting at her house, but I believe she said she' just a few mins from Dan Nicholas park. So I'd send the family there while I chatted er knitted.

Anyone coming to Borders tonight to see the Yarn Harlot. I'm not going to get there as early as I'd like, Steven is running behind today. :tap:

Howdovely
04-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Sandy I know we will be meeting at her house, but I believe she said she' just a few mins from Dan Nicholas park. So I'd send the family there while I chatted er knitted.

Anyone coming to Borders tonight to see the Yarn Harlot. I'm not going to get there as early as I'd like, Steven is running behind today. :tap:

Yeah, Dan Nichols is about 10 - 12 miles south of me. There is Boones Cave Park 2-4 miles away. I haven't been there in a few years, and I think the only thing there is the cave that Daniel supposedly hid in from the Indians. Its a GREAT short hike down to it (coming back up can be a killer, haha) but from what I recall, there aren't any of the typical park like things there. I could be wrong tho..... it's been a while.

Shandeh
04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Gotcha! :thumbsup:
As usual, I fell into the "airhead zone". :teehee:

Yeah, Dan Nichols is about 10 - 12 miles south of me. There is Boones Cave Park 2-4 miles away. I haven't been there in a few years, and I think the only thing there is the cave that Daniel supposedly hid in from the Indians. Its a GREAT short hike down to it (coming back up can be a killer, haha) but from what I recall, there aren't any of the typical park like things there. I could be wrong tho..... it's been a while.
I really should check out that place sometime. My step-dad is a descendant of Daniel Boone.

llamamomma
04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi Everyone. My name is Wendy and I live about 30 minutes (give or take) north east of Raleigh NC. Anyone in this area?

I am new to the site and a total newbie to the world of knitting. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better while I try to figure out what in the world I am doing...rflmao

sheilaksp
04-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Everyone. My name is Wendy and I live about 30 minutes (give or take) north east of Raleigh NC. Anyone in this area?

I am new to the site and a total newbie to the world of knitting. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better while I try to figure out what in the world I am doing...rflmao
Wendy when you say north east what are you near. I am I guess South of Raleigh in the Fayetteville area.

llamamomma
04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Wendy when you say north east what are you near. I am I guess South of Raleigh in the Fayetteville area.

I am 30 or so minutes north east of Raleigh near Louisburg and Wake Forest. Fayetteville would be roughly a 1 1/2 hour or 2 hour drive for me.

Howdovely
04-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I am 30 or so minutes north east of Raleigh near Louisburg and Wake Forest. Fayetteville would be roughly a 1 1/2 hour or 2 hour drive for me.
I'm in Raleigh quite often - my boyfriend lives in Raleigh and works in Wake Forest. I'm over near Lexington - 2 hours west of Raleigh.

bosybil
04-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks Sandy for starting this forum. I am a shop owner in Manteo and have been knitting since I was 5. Now that I am on my way to 62, that a lot of years! Weaving, spinning, fiber dyeing and crochet are all a passion for me. I am surely a certified fiberholic! I tried sewing for a number of years but it did not hold my interest like these do. Since I am a shop owner, I do not have a lot of time to go to other places and explore. So, I depend on my customers and forums like these to help me stay involved and fresh in my creativity.

I have found over the years that the fiber community is a warm, caring and sharing community and hope I will be able to contribute meaningfully on this forum.

Anybody want to come to the Outer Banks and get a little sand in your fiber?

Sybil

Cynamar
04-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I lived in Roxboro when I was engaged once. I loved it there! I would've dumped the dude & stayed but Julianne's dad wanted her close. Don't know why. He doesn't take her. My sis & her husband and my dad & step-mom all live in High Point. I love North Carolina!

Howdovely
04-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks Sandy for starting this forum. I am a shop owner in Manteo and have been knitting since I was 5. Now that I am on my way to 62, that a lot of years! Weaving, spinning, fiber dyeing and crochet are all a passion for me. I am surely a certified fiberholic! I tried sewing for a number of years but it did not hold my interest like these do. Since I am a shop owner, I do not have a lot of time to go to other places and explore. So, I depend on my customers and forums like these to help me stay involved and fresh in my creativity.

I have found over the years that the fiber community is a warm, caring and sharing community and hope I will be able to contribute meaningfully on this forum.

Anybody want to come to the Outer Banks and get a little sand in your fiber?

Sybil

Hi Sybil!! We are heading over to Shakleford Banks to see the wild horses and do shell hunting in a few weeks!! I can't wait! I've lived in NC for around 5 or 6 years and have never been to the NC ocean yet! We are staying in Morehead City (that is, if I EVER get around to reserving a room!) and also touring around Beaufort. Is any of that near you?
Brenda

bosybil
04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Brenda, you are about 80 miles as the crow flies and 180 by car on the inland route and 120 by ferry to Ocracoke Island and Hatteras Island. That is a real nice area to start your exploration of the NC Outer Banks.

Our area is steeped in history (Birth place of America - Lost Colony, Civil war battles and the Wright Brothers first flight and more) and a haven for artists. Hope you can visit our area soon.
Have a GREAT day!
Sybil

lestrella
05-06-2008, 08:51 PM
:waving: How's everyone doing? It's been a while. I haven't been knitting much lately. My mom was visiting for a whole month and my husband was out of town and I didn't have that much time to spend in the computer. I hope everyone is having a great time!! :hug:

lestrella
05-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Happy Mother's Day!
I hope you are enjoying some "me" time today.

Howdovely
05-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Yes, am enjoying some 'me' time! With the weather being icky today, we are just watching movies all day.

Are we still planning a NC knitters gathering in a few weeks? I'm still game if you all are!! Let me know and I'll get everyone directions.

Shandeh
05-11-2008, 07:43 PM
I'd love to do it! All we need to do is send a private message to each other to get the directions worked out. I'll have to borrow my hubby's car that day, because my little car would have trouble on a long trip like that.

Did we say May 17th or 24th? I can't remember. :doh:

Howdovely
05-11-2008, 07:45 PM
The 24th. Two weeks from yesterday. Yay! I'm excited!!

lizardknits
05-11-2008, 10:48 PM
wow
I feel awkward just now joining in on this topic
ive just been so busy being a student
ok, so where does brenda live (sorry, just got here)
oh
and I will be back in charlotte on tuesday

Shandeh
05-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Hi Liz! I hope that studies are going well for you.

When we get our plans finalized, I'll send you a PM.
:hug:

Howdovely
05-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Hello everybody!
We are planning our get together and it will be on Saturday May 24th at my house. I know that is Memorial Weekend, but hopefully a few of us can still get together.

I live near Lexington, very close to exit #85 off of Interstate 85.

Who can make it? It will be very informal and I plan to have 'games' to help me de-stash. Perfect timing too, because I just got an offer on my house so will be moving very soon! YAY!

What time is good for everybody? I'm open to anything.

By the way, I do have a cat and he does come in the house. If anyone is allergic, I will make sure he stays outside, but there is still fur inside.

We'll have fun! I love putting faces to names and meeting new people.

lestrella
05-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I wish I can join you guys but I don't drive that far. Oh, if I can only convince my husband to drive me all the way there...

BTW, congratulations on your engagement, Brenda.

Shandeh
05-18-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm planning on coming! I just have to get my transportation worked out with my hubby. Crossed Fingers

Lestrella, maybe we should ride a Greyhound bus up there, and have howdovely pick us up! :teehee:

Howdovely
05-19-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm planning on coming! I just have to get my transportation worked out with my hubby. Crossed Fingers

Lestrella, maybe we should ride a Greyhound bus up there, and have howdovely pick us up! :teehee:

There's an idea! Or even the Amtrak into Salisbury!

wewantmore
05-19-2008, 08:07 AM
I thought it was for sometime in June. :?? I won't be able to make it this weekend. We have family plans.

I hope everyone has a great time.

Michelle

lestrella
05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Sandy, if you don't mind driving my car, we can use it. I can drive to your house and then you take it from there. Well, it depends on the time too. You know that we only have one care and I wouldn't like to leave DH and DS locked in the house all day. I'll give them the morning off and then I can take the afternoon off. Sounds like a deal? Let me know. :hug:

Shandeh
05-19-2008, 11:58 PM
I thought it was for sometime in June. :?? I won't be able to make it this weekend. We have family plans. I hope everyone has a great time.
Michelle
I'm sorry you can't come, Michelle :pout:
Hopefully, we'll see you next time. :thumbsup:

There's an idea! Or even the Amtrak into Salisbury!
Ooooo....that would be cool. I've always wanted to ride a train. cloud9
Sandy, if you don't mind driving my car, we can use it.
Great plan! :woohoo:
We'll meet at Starbucks, and I'll get a cup of coffee to help me make it through the day. :cheering:

lestrella
05-20-2008, 08:47 PM
[/quote] Great plan! :woohoo:
We'll meet at Starbucks, and I'll get a cup of coffee to help me make it through the day. :cheering:[/quote]

:woohoo: We are going to make it. yeah!!!

BTW, do you have the address?
Who else is coming besides us?
At what time is the get together? I would prefer after noon, so my husband can use the car in the morning.

Howdovely
05-20-2008, 09:03 PM
[/quote]
We are going to make it. yeah!!!
BTW, do you have the address?
Who else is coming besides us?
At what time is the get together? I would prefer after noon, so my husband can use the car in the morning.[/quote]

I'll PM both you and Shendah my address. So far it's just you two but perhaps others will be able make it also. Anytime is fine for me, I figured in the afternoon also. I'll leave the timing up to you all.

YAY!!

Shandeh
05-21-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm glad it's in the afternoon, because I am NOT a morning person at all. :teehee:

We still have a few days until then. Let's work out a definite time by this Thursday, so we can make solid plans.

lestrella
05-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Howdovely, it was so nice meeting you today. Thank you so much for having us over and for all the yummy food and yarn. I had a great time! You are a lovely person and your fiance is a very cool and funny guy.
shandeh, thank you for driving all the way up there.

Shandeh
05-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Yes, it was fun! :cheering:
I got a bag full of yarn, which always makes me smile. cloud9
And the food was good, the tour of the house was fun, and the time we spent together was WAY COOL. :thumbsup:

Thank you Brenda, for letting us invade your home. :hug:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2056/2520608256_2230597a3a_m.jpg

Howdovely, with her yarn stash! :)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/2519789101_5ac44119f2.jpg

Our yummy food. :mmm:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/2519788593_347cc12410.jpg

A bag full of yarn for me! :woohoo:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2519788177_298d95a34c_m.jpg

lestrella
05-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Nice pictures!
Look what speedy did with the hat I was working on for Mason's mom.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1111708#post1111708

Howdovely
05-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Wow, the pictures came out GREAT! Mine weren't so good, here's the one that wasn't blurry.

I LOVED our day together, what fun!! Thank you both for making the trip and for helping to unload some of my stash. We definitely need to do it again.

Shandeh
05-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I like your photo of us better! :inlove:

wewantmore
05-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Oh how I wish I could have gone. What a lovely time it looks like you 3 had.

We ended up NOT going to FL as my MIL was put into the hospital on Wed. She was released on Monday but it was a long weekend. BIL flew up.

I will try to make the next get together.

Michelle

PS, Sandy you are looking great.

Shandeh
05-28-2008, 10:15 PM
I wish you could have come too, Michelle! You are always so much fun. :hug:

Belphoebe
05-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Anyone going this fall? I'm wanting to go to the Fair Isle 201 on Friday. Laura from Strand of Purls in Hickory taught me the 101 class this spring. :woohoo:

Shandeh
05-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I will DEFINITELY be at SAFF. Love that place! cloud9

tmsl
06-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm going and already signed up for the Fair Isle 201. They are having some great teachers there this fall. Looking forward to it.

Laura

Howdovely
06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
We might go. Might camp there to do two days at SAFF, or a day at Biltmore.

lestrella
07-19-2008, 01:44 PM
How's everyone doing? :hug:

Shandeh
07-19-2008, 06:22 PM
It was nice to see you yesterday, Lestrella. :hug:

I've been busy working on finishing up the Oddball Baby and Preemie Blankets at my house. It's so nice to find helpers to handle the blankets all over the country! Now, I'll finally be able to knit something for myself for a change! cloud9

I wonder if we should try to schedule a get-together for August? It's so dang hot, though. :help: I think we should pick something where we are knitting INSIDE, in the air conditioning.
:heart:

How about if we meet at Concord Mills Mall? We could meet in the center eating area, and everybody could eat what they want. Then we could sit around knitting, or walk over to AC Moore or Books-a-Million.

Howdovely
07-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi!!! I've been real busy lately too. We went on vacation to Oregon the last week in June, and are getting ready to leave for NY State and Canada this Thursday evening through next Sunday. Not mention I need to pack up my whole house, since the movers come the Wednesday after I get back to move me to High Point.

It has been CRAZY!

Concord Mills sounds like a great idea, just let me know when you decide. We have a wedding to go to August 9th, but i think i'm available any weekend after that. Would love to see you guys again and meet any other NC knitters.

Brenda

Shandeh
07-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Neat! I hope that several of us will be able to get together.

I have to play organ for weddings on August 2nd and August 9th. I wonder if you're attending the wedding where I'm performing? :think:

Howdovely
07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
I have to play organ for weddings on August 2nd and August 9th. I wonder if you're attending the wedding where I'm performing? :think:

If it's in HP, then maybe!! It's for my boss's step daughter. I think everyone from work is going, so it will be SO MUCH FUN!!! By then, I'll be living in HP too, so less of a drive all the way home.

Shandeh
07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Nope....not the same. Both of mine are in Charlotte.

lestrella
07-22-2008, 06:45 PM
A get together sounds good to me. Just let me know when so I can put it on my calendar. It can't make it on Aug. 2nd. But, so far any other day is good.
Howdovely, nice avatar. Where was the picture taken? You guys look great! Have fun packing.

Howdovely
07-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks!! It was taken at Bridal Veil falls in Oregon. We spent a week out there in June. LOVE that area - it's georgeous and I can't wait to go back.

Shandeh
07-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Maybe we should plan for August 23rd?
How about 1:30 that day at Concord Mills Mall?

Howdovely
07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
It's on my calendar!

lestrella
07-23-2008, 08:09 PM
It's on my calendar as well! Hopefully, my dh won't be out of town that weekend. :hug:

Shandeh
07-23-2008, 08:45 PM
I'll be there! :woohoo:

How about the rest of you Carolina girls?
Let's see some of you there as well.

ElaineMomNC
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi, I haven't been very active in this forum, but would love to meet some of you at Concord Mills on Aug 23! Where would be the meeting spot?

Shandeh
07-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi, I haven't been very active in this forum, but would love to meet some of you at Concord Mills on Aug 23! Where would be the meeting spot?
Hi Elaine!
We'll be meeting at the food court. Just look for a group of people with knitting needles and yarn all around them. :teehee:

wewantmore
08-03-2008, 08:40 AM
:woot: I put it on my calendar as well. :woot:

WolfWalker
08-03-2008, 10:21 AM
That's almost three hours away from where I'm at, so I guess I'm out of the loop. Oh well, maybe one day, eh?

Debra in Hope Mills

misha rf
08-03-2008, 10:57 AM
I'll see if I can make it. I haven't taken a Saturday off in months...

Shandeh
08-03-2008, 09:06 PM
:woot: I put it on my calendar as well. :woot:
Yay!!! I can't wait to see you again!!
:woohoo:

That's almost three hours away from where I'm at, so I guess I'm out of the loop. Oh well, maybe one day, eh? Debra in Hope Mills
Bummer :pout:
I do hope we can see you sometime, Debra. :)

I'll see if I can make it. I haven't taken a Saturday off in months...
I hope you can come! :cheering:

lizardknits
08-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Sandy
IDK if I would be able to come
maybe I could get my roomie to drive me there
id love to meet more of the NC knitters

Shandeh
08-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I hope you can come, lizardknits! :)

I'm getting excited about the get-together. We haven't had a large one in a long time. And we'll have LOTS of space available at the mall. :cheering:

I think I'm going to bring a suitcase on wheels, so I can roll it around with all my knitting and yarn inside. :teehee:

Do y'all want to plan anything special for our get-together?
I'm thinking it might be cool if each of us would bring one nice skein of yarn to trade with each other. We could put them all in a big black bag, then each person could come up and draw one out without looking. Then, we could make something with it before our next get-together. Would y'all want to do that?

Howdovely
08-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Do y'all want to plan anything special for our get-together?
I'm thinking it might be cool if each of us would bring one nice skein of yarn to trade with each other. We could put them all in a big black bag, then each person could come up and draw one out without looking. Then, we could make something with it before our next get-together. Would y'all want to do that?

I think that's a great idea. Even though everything I own is still in boxes (I just moved on Wednesday) I absolute know where all my yarn is!!! Still can't find my coffee pot tho.....

Shandeh
08-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey...yarn is IMPORTANT! :wink:

Shandeh
08-08-2008, 03:01 PM
My sister has been visiting from California, and yesterday, we went on a yarn shop crawl of sorts. We didn't have time to go to all the yarn shops here, but we went to the two that were closest, and to Hobby Lobby as well.

Here's the story from my KH blog:
It was WONDERFUL! She said that Cottage Yarn (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/) was MUCH nicer than any of the yarn shops in her area. cloud9

She really loved the "Cottage Creation" yarn there. (It's spun and dyed locally, specifically for the Cottage Yarn shop.) She bought a nice kit to make a shawl. (Like this one - http://www.cottageyarninc.com/Past%20Road%20Trips/Barnfull%20of%20Quilts/Yarn%20021.jpg (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/Past%20Road%20Trips/Barnfull%20of%20Quilts/Yarn%20021.jpg) ) BEAUTIFUL stuff! She was pleased to see that Sara would ship it for her.

After Cottage Yarn, we went to The Yarn Shop at Rainy Day Creations (http://www.rainydaycreationsinc.com/). Ginger fell in love with their weaving displays, just like me. I really want to learn to weave. They have classes there, so it's on my list of things to do. It's so interesting to see their displays of things that were knitted, crocheted and woven with the same yarn. Cool. :thumbsup: She bought lots of yarn there also. :) (I guess that yarn hoarding runs in the family.)

After that, we went to Hobby Lobby (http://www.hobbylobby.com/). She liked it too, because they don't have anything like that in her area. They have Michaels in California, but Hobby Lobby really is a different place. She loved their home accessories and art and lamps. She also thought it was cool that they have sewing supplies and fabric. She stocked up on some yarn there as well.

I think she might have had to ship a box of yarn home ahead of her. :teehee:

lestrella
08-16-2008, 09:49 AM
I can't wait to see everyone!:hug:

Shandeh
08-17-2008, 02:00 PM
I can't believe it's just one week until our get-together!
:grphug:

Just to remind everyone, our NC get together will be at Concord Mills Mall (http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=1239), in the food court, on Saturday, August 23rd at 1:30 pm. I imagine that we will meet up, and spend a little time together, then some of us may walk around the mall a little bit.

There is an AC Moore (http://www.acmoore.com/)in the mall, so we can look at some knitting supplies and yarn there. There is also a Books-A-Million (http://www.booksamillion.com/), so we can look at knitting books and magazines there as well!

And there is a Cinnabon (http://www.cinnabon.com/home.html) store too! I'm DEFINITELY going there, and IGNORING my low carb diet COMPLETELY! :) :heart:

There are lots of options for eating in the food court, so we won't be hungry. :wink:

Earlier, I mentioned that if you want, you can bring a skein of nice yarn or something to trade with each other. I guess we should specify a price. How about something worth between 5 & 10 dollars? It can be a knitting book or pattern, a nice skein of yarn, or knitting needles, or whatever knitting stuff you're willing to part with. (We don't HAVE to do this, it's just an idea.) :psst:

So, get your stuff together, and make plans for next Saturday!
:cheering: :woohoo: :cheering:

sabrinasmom
08-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I've been following the plans for Saturday but I have a wedding to go to. No ones backed out yet!! Hope everyone has fun!!

Shandeh
08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Sorry you can't come, Melanie! It would have been nice to meet you. Maybe next time! :hug:

Howdovely
08-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Earlier, I mentioned that if you want, you can bring a skein of nice yarn or something to trade with each other. I guess we should specify a price. How about something worth between 5 & 10 dollars? It can be a knitting book or pattern, a nice skein of yarn, or knitting needles, or whatever knitting stuff you're willing to part with. (We don't HAVE to do this, it's just an idea.)

I don't know if I even HAVE anything worth between 5 and 10 dollars! Most of my yarn was way cheap/on sale and I don't own any books!

What to do?

Boy, I could bring a ton of CLOTHES to give! My closet is bursting, and I've almost filled up the guest room closet! Need to part with some I guess...........

Shandeh
08-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't know if I even HAVE anything worth between 5 and 10 dollars! Most of my yarn was way cheap/on sale and I don't own any books!
No worries my friend. You're the second person to say they have nothing to bring, so we'll just save the trade-in event for another time. (It was just one of my silly ideas anyway.) :wink:

So, don't bring anything to our get-together but YOURSELF!
:heart: :muah: :heart:

Once again, in case the rest of you didn't catch this:
We will NOT be bringing any yarn or books or goodies to trade this time.

So, plan on coming to our get-together to just hang out and have fun. :)

:woohoo:

misha rf
08-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I can't wait!!! :woohoo:

Shandeh
08-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Me too! :)

Last night, I sent a private message to about 70 people in the forum that have mentioned they live in North Carolina or South Carolina. I gave them the details of our get-together, so they would know about it. We might meet some new friends!

Interesting thing: When I looked at the Concord Mills website, it says that they are the #1 tourist attraction in North Carolina. Unbelievable! :shock:

I remember when the mall was first built - I had no idea it would draw in so many visitors. But, when I went there the first time, I was overwhelmed by all the stuff there.

I really like the big fish tank in Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Shop_10151_-1_10001?CMID=MH_HOME). If I were a golfer, I would probably take lessons or get cool stuff there. So, if we have any sports or outdoor fans with us, they will feel right at home. :wink:

There are some other shops of interest there as well. I'll list some of them here:
The Disney Store Outlet (http://couponing.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=couponing&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fdisney.store.go.com%2FDSSectionPag e.process%3F)
Bed Bath & Beyond (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/default.asp?order_num=-1&)
Brooks Brothers (http://www.simon.com/mall/showlink.aspx?url=www.brooksbrothers.com%2f&returl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.simon.com%2fmall%2ftenant_ details.aspx%3fID%3d1239%26TID%3d60806)
Victoria's Secret (http://www.simon.com/mall/showlink.aspx?url=www.victoriassecret.com&returl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.simon.com%2fmall%2ftenant_ details.aspx%3fID%3d1239%26TID%3d59093)
Bath & Body Works (http://www.simon.com/mall/showlink.aspx?url=www.bathandbodyworks.com&returl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.simon.com%2fmall%2ftenant_ details.aspx%3fID%3d1239%26TID%3d57185)
Ann Taylor Loft (http://www.simon.com/mall/showlink.aspx?url=www.anntaylorloft.com%2fLM%2fatl LM_DisplayHomePage.process%3fSection_ID%3d2%26Rest artFlow%3dt&returl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.simon.com%2fmall%2ftenant_ details.aspx%3fID%3d1239%26TID%3d55679)
Blacklion (http://www.blacklion.com/)
Build-A Bear (http://www.simon.com/mall/showlink.aspx?url=www.buildabear.com%2fdefault.asp x%3fsc_id%3dsimon&returl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.simon.com%2fmall%2ftenant_ details.aspx%3fID%3d1239%26TID%3d57305)
POLO Ralph Lauren Factory (http://stores.ralphlauren.com/factory_services.asp)

There is also an AMC movie theater (http://www.amctheatres.com/)
And a NASCAR Speedpark (http://www.simon.com/mall/showlink.aspx?url=www.nascarspeedpark.com&returl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.simon.com%2fmall%2ftenant_ details.aspx%3fID%3d1239%26TID%3d58949)

And of course, there is a Starbucks (http://www.simon.com/mall/showlink.aspx?url=www.starbucks.com&returl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.simon.com%2fmall%2ftenant_ details.aspx%3fID%3d1239%26TID%3d59057) and a Cinnabon (http://www.simon.com/mall/showlink.aspx?url=www.cinnabon.com%2fhome.html&returl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.simon.com%2fmall%2ftenant_ details.aspx%3fID%3d1239%26TID%3d58447). :heart: :inlove: :heart:
(By the way, that particular Starbucks is having a SALE right now. If you buy a drink before 2 PM, they give you a coupon for a drink later in the day.) :wink:

If you want to pamper yourself a bit while you're there, check out Glamour Nails, Diva Nail Spa, Glamour Eyes, Mall Spa, Hair Designs, Master Cuts, or get a Yi Kang Chair Massage. cloud9

If you want to see ALL the shops at Concord Mills, here's the directory: http://www.simon.com/mall/directory.aspx?ID=1239

And here's their map: http://www.simon.com/mall/print_floorplan.aspx?ID=1239
I hope to see you all there! :muah:

Howdovely
08-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm getting excited! I'm making a short list of the stores I like to pop in to when I'm in that area. Two of which are Burlington Coat Factory (the biggest and nicest one i've ever seen and they always have great suits and stuff for work on the clearance racks) and the Levi's outlet. I am waiting (impatiently) to get a cute little bolero cut denim jacket to go on sale.

Anyway - very exciting!! I'll probably go early to get all my shopping done before we meet. I'll save AC Moore and the bookstore till the afternoon in case any fellow knitters will want to dash over with me.

Shandeh
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Good plan! :thumbsup:

misha rf
08-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm going to try to get there a little early to shop, too. I want to go to the Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World there...I want to get one of the bait holder thingies (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_37109?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P0_2) for my circular needles. :rofl:

itsmecrystald
08-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Hello... I just joined this community! I'm pregnant and "nesting" because all I can think about is learning to knit!! So strange. But, a friend sent me to this site to watch the videos. I finally got the first long-tail cast-on method, but not quite sure where to go next???

I live in NC as well, which is why I came to this thread. If I'm in the wrong place just let me know!

Concord Mills isn't far from me at all... sounds like you all are going to have a good time!

Howdovely
08-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello... I just joined this community! I'm pregnant and "nesting" because all I can think about is learning to knit!! So strange. But, a friend sent me to this site to watch the videos. I finally got the first long-tail cast-on method, but not quite sure where to go next???

I live in NC as well, which is why I came to this thread. If I'm in the wrong place just let me know!

Concord Mills isn't far from me at all... sounds like you all are going to have a good time!

Welcome to the site and the group!!

Come join us on Saturday!! It's so exciting to meet new people!

When are you due?

itsmecrystald
08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the site and the group!!

Come join us on Saturday!! It's so exciting to meet new people!

When are you due?

Thanks! And thanks for the invite... I guess honestly I might feel a little strange joining you all being a newbie here and all. But I'll think about it :) I'm due November 21... I'm SOOO excited!

wewantmore
08-21-2008, 06:45 PM
I agree, COME.

I'm looking forward to this. Though it does coincide with my regular knitting group. Good thing that one is on my way home and should still be going on.

I will have all three kids with me as it's Poker day for Steven, even though THIS has been on the calendar longer than poker. :tap:

I need to hit a few stores as well, so I might just show up early.

Michelle

PS, Sandy I have remembered your book, though it's not in the car yet and hope I don't forget the day of. :ick:

Shandeh
08-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm going to try to get there a little early to shop, too. I want to go to the Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World there...I want to get one of the bait holder thingies (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_37109?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P0_2) for my circular needles. :rofl:
Wow! That looks PERFECT for circulars! I might get one if I can afford it. :)
Hi Crystal! :waving: Welcome! :hug:
After learning to cast-on, you should learn the Knit Stitch!
:thumbsup: Good luck.

Thanks for the invite... I guess honestly I might feel a little strange joining you all being a newbie here and all. But I'll think about it :) I'm due November 21... I'm SOOO excited!
You should DEFINITELY come and join us! :) We were all newbies once too. And we've only seen each other a few times, so we're all still getting to know each other. This is a PERFECT time to come and meet the group. :heart:
I will have all three kids with me as it's Poker day for Steven, even though THIS has been on the calendar longer than poker. :tap:
Yay! We get to see your wonderful kiddies again! :cheering:
PS, Sandy I have remembered your book, though it's not in the car yet and hope I don't forget the day of. :ick:
:teehee: Hey! Maybe I can make a stocking this year! :figureditout:

sabrinasmom
08-21-2008, 09:02 PM

Welcome! You should definately go Saturday if you can. I have a wedding to attend so I cannot be there. :sad: You will meet some wonderful people. And this is a wonderful site. :heart: My favorite

Shandeh
08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm really looking forward to Saturday. Today, I went to the bank and got out a few dollars, so I can get a Cinnabon, and a magazine, and eat a bit.

But, my main focus will be just SEEING all of you, and knitting together. cloud9

Howdovely
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm really looking forward to it too!!! I decided to not go to Raleigh also this weekend. I opted instead to go visit a girlfriend up near Danville, VA on Sunday. She lives in NC, but I have to duck into VA to get there. Funny.

I had contemplated driving from High Point to Concord for the day, then drive from Concord to Raleigh afterwards. That would have been a LOT of driving in one day. So, although I won't get to see Randall at all this weekend, I'm making good use of it! And of course unpacking and organizing in between. Well, unpacking anyway - there is NO hope for ME getting myself organized. Ugh.

Shandeh
08-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey, you're gonna have Randall FOREVER. You can give him up for one weekend. :teehee:

Howdovely
08-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey, you're gonna have Randall FOREVER. You can give him up for one weekend. :teehee:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too............... haha!!! :p

Shandeh
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
:)

lestrella
08-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks! And thanks for the invite... I guess honestly I might feel a little strange joining you all being a newbie here and all. But I'll think about it :) I'm due November 21... I'm SOOO excited!

Welcome! And, please don't be afraid to join us tomorrow. I know how you feel. We've all been there. The truth is, I have only seeing these ladies once, except for shandeh that I get to see every week. They are all really nice! And we will all help you with your knitting if you need help. I hope you change your mind.

Shandeh
08-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

I'll try to make a "Knitting Help" sign that I can put at the table in the food court. (I wonder if strangers will walk up, asking to learn how to knit?) :think:
:roflhard:

Oh well....maybe I should NOT make a sign. :teehee:

itsmecrystald
08-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone! I completely forgot that tomorrow at 2 I have a 3D ultrasound secheduled... don't know how I could forget, and definitely can't miss that! But maybe next time??

Do any of you know of any groups or classes that get together often where I could go to learn? I'm near Lake Norman/Mooresville/Statesville

And thanks for the suggestion on the knit stitch! I'll go check that out now. :)

Shandeh
08-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Oh well....maybe next time. Good luck with the ultrasound!

I don't personally know of any groups in that part of town, but you might be able to find some on Ravelry. I live in a small town outside of Charlotte, so I rarely go up to the Lake Norman area.

Maybe wewantmore can offer some advice.

misha rf
08-23-2008, 11:01 AM
I am feeling a bit under the weather today. I just got out of bed. I'm sorry, but I won't be joining y'all today. I'm bummed--I was really looking forward to this!!! :sad:

Shandeh
08-23-2008, 11:21 AM
:waah:
I'm sorry you can't come. We'll miss you! :pout:

wewantmore
08-23-2008, 09:33 PM
I had a great time today. Wish the littles would have let me stay a tad bit longer.

As for Lake Norman area knitting groups I don't know of any off the top of my head. I'll do some looking around and will post what I find.

Michelle

Doodknitwit
08-23-2008, 11:23 PM
spill the details for us ..:eyes:

Shandeh
08-24-2008, 01:35 PM
We had fun at our get-together! :)
Thank you all for coming! :muah:

Four of us were able to come, with 3 extras as well! (wewantmore's little ones) Her oldest was actually knitting with us! :thumbsup: It was so nice to see your kids again, Michelle. They are AWESOME! :hug:

We all met in the food court at Concord Mills, and enjoyed talking and knitting together for a long time. (Thanks for the hotdog, Brenda!) :heart:

After that, Michelle and her kids had to leave, so Lestrella, Howdovely, and I decided to walk around the mall a bit. We went to the bookstore, and browsed through the knitting books and magazines. We REALLY enjoyed doing that. I was going to get a magazine, but the line was too long at the checkout. I guess I'll get it later next week.

Then, we went to AC Moore and looked at yarn and stuff. I bought 4 skeins of Lion Moonlight Mohair that was on the clearance rack. Howdovely got some Lion Microspun that was on sale also. They tried to charge her full price, but she put her foot down! :thumbsup:

By this time, it was already 5:00, so we were all ready to call it a day. So, we said our goodbyes, and went our separate ways. I walked straight out the door and drove home. I was wiped out!! :shock:

It was so nice to see you all again. cloud9

Here are the only decent photos I got. I can't believe I didn't get one of Brenda! :doh:

Howdovely
08-24-2008, 03:06 PM
It WAS a great time. I so enjoyed the company! Loved the little kids too, how adorable. Thank you again for the fat needles Michelle, I hope to put them to good use soon!!

Lestrella and I went into Ann Taylor quickly, but didn't find anything so we then said our goodbyes. On my way out - I went into the Levi Outlet and got four of the most adorable tops on clearance. Can't wait to wear them!
Here are my two photos. It's ok you didn't get me on film Sandy, I know what I look like. haha

Doodknitwit
08-25-2008, 09:00 AM
good to see your smiles!!
hope to make the next meet-up. Sounds like the mall is a good location for one.

Shandeh
08-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks Deb! It was neat.
I think it's fun to meet in different places all the time. I think that most of us have meet-ups with different knitting groups that are more consistent.

Our group can be the "traveling knitters" group. :teehee:

Any ideas for the end of September or the beginning of October?

misha rf
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
It sounds like y'all had fun! Maybe next time my body (and schedule) will cooperate.

Shandeh
08-25-2008, 09:35 PM
It would have been nice to see you, Misha!
Are you feeling better now? :heart:

lestrella
08-26-2008, 06:17 PM
I had a great time as well. wewantmore's kid are so well behave and you just want to squeeze them.
Who took the picture of me and joseph? I want to see that picture.
BTW, I think somebody was asking for knitting groups in the northside of charlotte. I found the following information on ravelry: "The Needlecraft Center (http://www.needlecraftcenter.com/needlecraft/index.htm) in Davidson has a Sit & Stitch monthly in the summer & alternate Monday nights, 6:30-8:30 the rest of the year. Iíve heard that they are very crochet-friendly as well as a Ďknittingí store. Sit & Stitch Mondays, 6:30-8:30pm Winter Schedule: Oct 1, 15, Nov 5, 19 Dec 3, Jan 7, 21, Feb 4, 18 Mar 3, 17, Apr 7, 21 No preregistration, and no charge. Just come for the fun of stitching
Also there is a Loch Norman Guild that meets monthly in Huntersville: Time: 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every month on the third Tuesday. Location: Barnes and Noble in the Starbucks coffee shop in the Birkdale Shopping Center no dues"
I copied everything as it was on ravelry.
Anyway, I'm off. I'm way too tired. School started this week and i have no energy by the time i get home.

Shandeh
08-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Here you go!

mwhite
08-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Sounds like y'all had a WONDERFUL time and so sorry I couldn't come this go-round! The pictures are great!!!

lestrella
08-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Here you go!
:muah: Thank you so much! Isn't he the cutest little man?

itsmecrystald
08-27-2008, 08:47 PM
BTW, I think somebody was asking for knitting groups in the northside of charlotte. I found the following information on ravelry: "The Needlecraft Center (http://www.needlecraftcenter.com/needlecraft/index.htm) in Davidson has a Sit & Stitch monthly in the summer & alternate Monday nights, 6:30-8:30 the rest of the year. Iíve heard that they are very crochet-friendly as well as a Ďknittingí store. Sit & Stitch Mondays, 6:30-8:30pm Winter Schedule: Oct 1, 15, Nov 5, 19 Dec 3, Jan 7, 21, Feb 4, 18 Mar 3, 17, Apr 7, 21 No preregistration, and no charge. Just come for the fun of stitching
Also there is a Loch Norman Guild that meets monthly in Huntersville: Time: 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every month on the third Tuesday. Location: Barnes and Noble in the Starbucks coffee shop in the Birkdale Shopping Center no dues"
I copied everything as it was on ravelry.
Anyway, I'm off. I'm way too tired. School started this week and i have no energy by the time i get home.

Hey thanks for the info! That's close enough for me... I'll have to check it out! I'm not having a lot of luck learning on my own so it looks like I'll need so knitting tutoring :aww:

gollygeeitsamy
09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
hey i'm amy and i introduced myself on like page 6 or something (which feels like 10 years ago). but i just wanted to drop a hey :waving: to all the awesome nc knitters and was wondering if anyone knew of some yarn shops in the greensboro/winston-salem area or in the boone area. i dont know if this has already been asked but 123 pages is a lot.

Doodknitwit
09-09-2008, 10:40 PM
hey i'm amy and i introduced myself on like page 6 or something (which feels like 10 years ago). but i just wanted to drop a hey :waving: to all the awesome nc knitters and was wondering if anyone knew of some yarn shops in the greensboro/winston-salem area or in the boone area. i dont know if this has already been asked but 123 pages is a lot.

Blowing Rock has unwound.. 131-1 Morris St.
nookd@bellsouth.net
tel#828-295-5051

lizardknits
09-12-2008, 10:42 AM
i mostly live in greensboro. Im a UNCG senior. As far as yarn stores in Greensbor, there is Gate City Yarns, Stitch Point, This & That, Yarns etc. (yes, there really is a yarn store called yarns etc). In WS, there is Knit Picky.
(the best way to find yarn shops is to do a google maps search for yarn shops + desired location (greensboro nc or winston salem nc, although, actually, you get better search results if you search yarn stores greensboro nc on googlee maps)

Shandeh
09-20-2008, 06:34 PM
I think we are all busy with work and school right now, so there is no get-together for September.

Let's plan on getting together at SAFF (http://www.saffsite.org/) in October!!
(SAFF: Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair, in the beautiful mountains of Fletcher, NC)

Here's the website, if you missed the link above:
http://www.saffsite.org/

I'm not taking ANY classes this year, because I want to be free to walk around and do whatever I want! :wink:

I'll probably go on Friday, stay overnight, and go back for a little bit on Saturday, then head home Saturday afternoon.

Last year, I almost KILLED myself driving home in the dark, falling asleep at the wheel. So, this year, I'm gonna be smart. :)

Anybody want to share a hotel room together on Friday night? Or maybe we can find a bed and breakfast or something. I can dream, can't I?

Howdovely
09-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I think we are all busy with work and school right now, so there is no get-together for September.

Let's plan on getting together at SAFF (http://www.saffsite.org/) in October!!
(SAFF: Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair, in the beautiful mountains of Fletcher, NC)

Here's the website, if you missed the link above:
http://www.saffsite.org/

I'm not taking ANY classes this year, because I want to be free to walk around and do whatever I want! :wink:

I'll probably go on Friday, stay overnight, and go back for a little bit on Saturday, then head home Saturday afternoon.

Last year, I almost KILLED myself driving home in the dark, falling asleep at the wheel. So, this year, I'm gonna be smart. :)

Anybody want to share a hotel room together on Friday night? Or maybe we can find a bed and breakfast or something. I can dream, can't I?

Oh man! I would totally get a room with you on friday night but I can't go at all! Market is that weekend, so I'll be stuck in High Point. I can't believe I'll miss it again! ARGH!!!!!

Shandeh
09-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Bummer! That would have been fun.

Lestrella's birthday is on that Friday, so she probably won't be going either.

But I bet misha will be going! Of course, she lives nearby, so she won't need to get a room.

Howdovely
09-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Bummer! That would have been fun.

Lestrella's birthday is on that Friday, so she probably won't be going either.

But I bet misha will be going! Of course, she lives nearby, so she won't need to get a room.

Haha, room with Misha!! Just kidding! Randall and I were thinking of NOT shopping at market that weekend, so if we do decide to not shop in HP, maybe we'll go to SAFF on Saturday.
I hope next year works out for me to be able to go - it looks awesome!

lestrella
09-22-2008, 09:47 PM
That was my birthday present last year. I won't be able to make it this year because DH will be out of town. I would have to find petsitter and babysitter ($$$?). I can't believe I'm going to miss it! :sad:

Doodknitwit
09-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Dee's Yarn Nook in Blowing Rock.. the name has changed but it is on Morris St.

Blowing Rock has unwound.. 131-1 Morris St.
nookd@bellsouth.net
tel#828-295-5051

Shandeh
09-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Randall and I were thinking of NOT shopping at market that weekend, so if we do decide to not shop in HP, maybe we'll go to SAFF on Saturday.
DON'T SHOP! Go to SAFF! :psst:
:)
That was my birthday present last year. I won't be able to make it this year because DH will be out of town. I would have to find petsitter and babysitter ($$$?). I can't believe I'm going to miss it! :sad:
:waah: I'll miss you, Lestrella. :heart:

Oh well...maybe I'll get to see Misha. :wink:

If all else fails, I'll force my cousin to go.
(the one that owns Cottage Yarn (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/))

OffJumpsJack
09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Hello,

I've been around the forum a while but just found this thread and decided to pop in and say, hey! :waving: I hale from the east side of Raleigh (eastern corner of the county, in fact).

I'm looking for a real yarn store; Michael's and Wal-mart have such depressing offerings. :nails: Any help for a guy on the edge... (of the big city)?

-- Jack

Howdovely
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Hello,

I've been around the forum a while but just found this thread and decided to pop in and say, hey! :waving: I hale from the east side of Raleigh (eastern corner of the county, in fact).

I'm looking for a real yarn store; Michael's and Wal-mart have such depressing offerings. :nails: Any help for a guy on the edge... (of the big city)?

-- Jack
Hello Jack, welcome!
I'm out your way every other weekend, but have not ventured out to find any LYS yet. We were just in Hillsborough and I saw one on the main road that goes through there. I really wanted to stop in it and touch everything. haha.
Brenda

Shandeh
09-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi Jack! Thanks for letting us know you're one of us! :)

I wish I knew of some shops in your area, but I very rarely go to that part of the state. Have you looked at the yarn shop maps on the internet?
http://find.mapmuse.com/interest/knitting_shops
http://www.knitmap.com/

lizardknits
10-01-2008, 01:36 AM
i think yarns etc has a carboro location
yarns etc is a LYS

ncwanda
10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Hello,
I am a disabled lady in greenville, nc..

I was born & raised here, and just moved back after 20 being in NH!

I am seeking to find SOMEONE that lives near me.. I would someone that could please HELP ME learn 2 Knit!! PLEASE.... I DO NOT understand written directions well at all. I do best being shown by someone.. I also need knitting needles. I cannot afford them at this time, as we just moved here and all I have is my SSDI for income (which barely makes the bills at the moment) and hubby is looking for work. I'm a christian lady, in a "smoke-free" home, and want to do this as a pass time and to donate projects to people in need too.

IF anyone, would be kind enough to help me I would be very appreciative. Please, message me back IF You have the time and are willing to help me learn to knit. Thanks to ALL and May God Bless each of You out there.

Thanks in Advance,
Wanda

wewantmore
10-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Welcome Wanda.

Where/when are we meeting at SAFF? We are driving up in the AM.

Howdovely
10-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh my gosh! I forgot it was this weekend! I have been so busy with Furniture Market here in High Point lately i forgot all about it. I'm sad I will miss it, AGAIN! Geez - why does everything fall on the same weekend?? State Fair in Raleigh, Bar-B-Que Festival in Lexington, Furniture Market in HP, and SAFF in Asheville.

Hopefully next year!

Shandeh
10-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Michelle, I think that you and I are the only ones going, so I guess we'll just have to wing it. When you see me there, give me a big wave!! :muah:
(I'll call your cell when I arrive.)

My mother is coming with me this time. I have NO idea why...she's not a knitter or a spinner. I think she is just worried about me going by myself. Weird. I'm almost 45 years old, and I've gone 4 years straight now, managing just fine without her. :teehee:

Hopefully, she'll get reeled into one of the crafts, because she is finally retired now. Every time I've tried to get her into knitting, she says that she will when she gets older.
:roll: Whatever...

Tonight, I'm boiling some eggs, so I can take some egg salad sandwiches for lunch. There is just too much traffic and confusion to deal with at lunchtime. I'm taking bottles of water too, and a little can of almonds. So, we should be set. :thumbsup: We'll have lunch at the car, then go right back into the arena.

Michelle, you can join us for egg salad if you want! :hug:

I'm so excited about SAFF!!!! :woohoo:

misha rf
10-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I had to think whether or not you had the right cell #, then I realized I've had my phone for 2 years now, as of this weekend. Some of my first camera phone pics were critters at SAFF! :rofl: I'll have to remember to put it in my pocket. I know I won't hear it ring in my purse!

It'll be nice to meet your mom!! I think it's sweet that she wants to go with you. I hope she won't be bored. (That would be why the husband stays home--he went once & that was enough.)

I can't wait!! :woohoo:

Shandeh
10-25-2008, 05:38 AM
Woo Hoo! TWO Michelles!! :woohoo:
(I was talking to wewantmore in my last post.)

You're BOTH invited to have lunch with us if you want. I'm bringing egg salad, peanut butter and jelly, and a loaf of bread. I'll also have a few bottles of water, but there might not be enough of that to go around.

So, if you both want, you can bring a bag of chips, some cookies, and a couple more bottles of water, and we should be set! :thumbsup:

We can probably just sit together at the bleachers and talk while we eat. Fast, simple, and we can get right back to browsing. :wink:

Misha, I don't know if I have your cell number or not. I'll send you both a private message with my cell.
See you at SAFF!! :cheering:

Shandeh
10-25-2008, 05:42 AM
........I'm sad I will miss it, AGAIN!

I'm sad too! :pout:
I'll miss you, Brenda. :verysad:

Shandeh
10-25-2008, 06:40 PM
SAFF was wonderful!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Believe it or not, I was back home at 4:20. :shock:
My mother drove us there, and we arrived at about 9:30. I walked around all the displays 3 times, and bought all I could afford. In fact, I had 70 dollars left in my purse! I wanted to buy more, but decided to save the rest of my money for real life. :teehee:

I was ready to leave at about 2:30, so we hit the road. My mother is a DEMON driver, so we made it home in record time. I fell asleep on the way back....it was nice to have a chauffeur. :)

I think her favorite part of the event was the alpacas. Mine was the YARN and the FIBER!!! :inlove: :inlove:

Here's what I got:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2971930593_9bb4ed2df8.jpg
4 merino wool rovings....GORGEOUS!!!!
2 new bobbins for my spinning wheel
A flick carder
A handmade barrette
and 6 vintage circular needles for $1 each.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2972771762_784247fdcb_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2972773828_2742dabd54_m.jpg

I was lucky enough to see misha rf, wewantmore, as well as a couple Ravelry friends. It was a good day!

Now, I'm gonna collapse and catch up on my sleep before tomorrow. (I was only able to sleep for 3 hours last night, because I was so excited about SAFF!!) :heart:

misha rf
10-25-2008, 08:06 PM
It was good to see you, Sandy!

I saw a few friends from Ravelry, my SIL (who was helping a friend with her booth) and a former co-worker. I knew she had llamas, but I didn't realize she had a booth at SAFF! I didn't see her last year or the year before. I left around 2:30 too (got there around 10:30 or so) & had a semi-nap when I got home.

I bought 4 skeins for me, 1 for my sister (her birthday is next month). I was a good girl and only charged the 1. I joked with one of the vendors that I was paying cash so my husband wouldn't know how much I'd really spent. :rofl: At some point, I'll take download the pics of my haul.

wewantmore
10-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Sandy it was great seeing you. We too left around 2. I had a great time, only wish I had more money and that I knew the good yarns that were there so I knew what to buy. Which I guess it's better I don't know so that I don't buy.

Either way, I did spend WAY too much. I found a lace yarn I liked and bought 8 skeins. :passedout: Plus the other stuff I bought.

Sandy, happy to see you bought one of those hair clips.

Michelle

Shandeh
10-26-2008, 01:18 AM
We had a busy day, didn't we?!
And all that beautiful fiber and yarn. :thud:
I am always amazed by SAFF.

This year, it kinda felt like there wasn't as much as usual, but maybe I'm just getting used to it all. :teehee:

And funny thing. I've never gone into any of the other buildings before until this year. I've usually spent my entire SAFF visit in the main arena. But this year, my mother wanted to see what was in the other buildings, and we made the complete tour. There was another whole set of vendors in one of the buildings! Makes me wonder if I've missed them all the OTHER years I've gone. :doh:

Michelle (wewantmore), was this your first trip there? If so, I bet you were blown away by all the gorgeous yarn. I know I was AMAZED my first year. :shock: And believe it or not, I only had 10 dollars in my pocket that first year. :roll:

Misha, I thought it was so funny that neither of us could think of anything to talk about when we ran into each other. We were both just chomping at the bit to go look at all the booths! :)

I can't wait to see photos of what you have both bought!

It was wonderful to see you both. :hug:

By the way, I ran into the president of the Charlotte Knitting Guild while I was there. She's such a sweet soul. A great improvement over the previous one. :wink: She remembered me from when she gave me some wool squares for my charity knitting.

Howdovely
10-26-2008, 07:57 AM
SAFF was wonderful!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Here's what I got:

4 merino wool rovings....GORGEOUS!!!!
2 new bobbins for my spinning wheel
A flick carder
A handmade barrette
and 6 vintage circular needles for $1 each.

I'm drooling.............................

misha rf
10-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I think there were fewer vendors this year. Definitely more empty spots in the main arena, though it made getting around a little easier. Last year & the year before, they had a handful of vendors in the barn next to the llamas. This year, no vendors in there, and about half the number of llamas. (I could have sworn there were about 6 llama vendors there last year. Maybe 8.) Last year, the alpacas were in the sales arena. This year, they were in another barn and there were vendors in the sales arena. I know there were vendors that I bought from last year who weren't there this year.

ncwanda
10-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello everyone. I'm in GREENVILLE, North Carolina.. I'm disabled and have alot of time on my hands.

I have been desperating "trying" for 3 months to find someone near me, that has the time to show me HOW to knit. So far, no luck. I even tried to learn online with the video's but, I simply don't understand them all that well. I have always been taught how to do things 1 on 1 with someone...

Is there anyone near GREENVILLE, that has time to teach me how to knit..? IF I can just get going, then maybe I can keep learning as i go. I got 1 small pair of circular knitting needles and some yarn. Please let me know if anyone is interested in helping me.

I'd love to make things to donate to babies or sick people, ect and be of some use to others in need.

Thanks,
Wanda

Howdovely
10-30-2008, 08:03 PM
I would LOVE to show you how to knit, but unfortunately I am nowhere near you.

Do you have any local yarn stores that you could ask? Or even someone that works at the Wal-Mart craft dept., or at Michaels or Hobby Lobby? Someone local must know someone that knits.....