PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Knitters

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

lakeout
10-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Hi Wanda - while I live a bit far away, through the magic of Ravelry I found this for you:

There is a group for fiber lovers in and around Greenville, NC and East Carolina University (and yes, it includes knitters).
Their weekly Sip and Stitch takes place every Tuesday from 7:30-9:30pm at the Tipsy Teapot, located on Evans St in downtown Greenville. They invite you to come, pull up a comfy chair, grab a cup of tea or a dessert, and enjoy the fiber arts with them. NOTE: while this group is not primarily instructional, I've no doubt you'll find someone to get you started and help out .... I'd bring along a skein of yarn, at least 2-sizes of needles, and a 'beginning' book to show that you're serious:)

OffJumpsJack
10-31-2008, 10:01 AM
I've seen Ravelry mentioned frequently.
Through the magic of Ravelry...

So, is there a thread or post giving details about it. Is there a fee for membership? Is it worth it to get a membership over there?

Anyone in the Capital area of NC? From what I have seen on this thread, not many members are from eastern NC (Raleigh to the coast).

ETA: NCWanda, I'm a bit closer to you but still not that close. That Ravelry group sound like an alterntive for you to consider.

TIA

--Jack :guyknitting:

lakeout
10-31-2008, 10:42 AM
OMG - it is a *visually-oriented* haven for fiber enthusiasts, but developed primarily for knitters & crocheters. It's still 'officially' in BETA, but getting quite close now to public.

NO FEES of any kinds. Go to www.ravelry.com and sign up. Used to take MONTHS, now a matter of days.

There is a *HUGE* group for Raleigh, very active. And groups for projects, foods, professions, interests, designers, etc. There's even a group for denizens of KnittingHelp.com!

Warning: Ravelry is a serious time-drain ... but also a fabulous tool. You can inventory your stash, library, pattern books, all with pictures. You can look at, and search, yarn & patterns for days ....

I'm "Lakeout" up there, once you get your invite drop me a line & say hi, be glad to try to help you out, it's rather overwhelming:)

Howdovely
10-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Anyone in the Capital area of NC? From what I have seen on this thread, not many members are from eastern NC (Raleigh to the coast).

I spend every other weekend in Raleigh. Headed there on the morning train actually! Haven't ventured out to any LYS there tho. Been to Michaels a billion times, because we don't have one here in High Point.

OffJumpsJack
10-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Lakeout, if I remember correctly Valdez is near you (is it spelled Valdes and sounds like Waldez or vice versa?) :think: :) My DW and I were there, she was in a church choir that went there to sing a worship service (I played the groupie). LOL Another year they went to Boon. Another time they went to Wrightsville. I've even been as far a Bervard. (who knows where that is?)

Howdovely, do you really take the train? (That wouldn't be a scarlet steam engine would it? -an HP reference.)

My church has a prayer shawl ministry, but I haven't felt comfortable about KIP. I have taken my backpack to a few of my children's soccer games and sat behind everyone to be out of vew.

I've put my request in for Ravelry, now if I can remember to check my email for the invite... LOL

Howdovely
10-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Howdovely, do you really take the train? (That wouldn't be a scarlet steam engine would it? -an HP reference.)

Yes I do really take the train. I LOVE it. Two full hours of uninterrupted knitting! I always got caught in traffic on I40/I85, and with the price of gas -- it just made more sense to take the train. I can't drive there for less than $11. I'm actually not a native HPer, so I didn't get the HP reference... :???:

Shandeh
11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I think he might have been referring to Harry Potter. :teehee:
I've seen Ravelry mentioned frequently. So, is there a thread or post giving details about it. Is there a fee for membership? Is it worth it to get a membership over there?
Ravelry's great! It's definitely worth the time you put into it. I love to use it to see my stash, because there is no way I can remember everything I have in my craft room. (I have over 1000 skeins of yarn in there!) When I start a new project, I look at my stash on Ravelry to choose the yarn I want, then I dig through my room until I actually find it! :wink:

OffJumpsJack
11-12-2008, 11:47 AM
NCWanda,

I've had a fortunate crossing of paths with someone who knows of a knitting group in Greenville, NC. I've made contact through ECU (East Carolina University) with a knitting group at a local church in Greenville, NC.

I'm currently waiting for their reply. You can PM me for more details, and if you still need someone to teach you to knit.

Howdovely
11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I think he might have been referring to Harry Potter. :teehee:

Oh!!! I'm such a ding dong! haha. I don't do Harry Potter either, so that went right over my head! Thanks for clarifying!

Shandeh
11-12-2008, 03:43 PM
:hug:

Wannie
11-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Hello to all NC Knitters! This is my first message...hope this works I am a newbie but just love it. Have just made my granddaughter, she's 5, mittens. She thinks I must be amazing. Hope to hear from someone, if not , I'll try again.

Howdovely
11-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi Wannie!! Welcome! Where in NC are you? I'm in High Point. Are you new to knitting, or just the forum?

Shandeh
11-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Welcome Wannie! :hug:

OffJumpsJack
12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Hello to all NC Knitters! This is my first message...hope this works.

Hey there! It worked! :thumbsup: Wannie, Welcome to KH forum. What part of NC do you call home. I recon you'll find some of us from Murphy to Manteo!

I'm between Raleigh and Wilson.

Belphoebe
12-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi all! :woot: I'm still around. Grad school has kept me so busy I haven't even had time to knit. I bet Laura at A Strand of Purls in Hickory thinks I've died or something. I'll be on Christmas break soon and hope to be able to pick up my needles before the next semester rolls around. Hope you all have a blessed holiday! :muah:

Jen

Lady Violet
12-11-2008, 10:55 PM

I'm in Raleigh. More like between Raleigh, Fuquay, and Garner to be exact, but definitely closer to Garner. It's one of those little random Raleigh pockets - I guess that means I totally fit in over here. :teehee: There's actually a few knitting groups in the area, although I've only been to the Garner one since it's closest, and I've only been able to get over there one. But it's at a new coffeeshop with a white chocolate mocha that's to die for. Well, almost. If I died, there wouldn't be any more knitting, unless I'm getting that fiber shop when I get to heaven, but those details aren't really up to me. :teehee:

Wow. I think I need :sleepy: .

OffJumpsJack
12-12-2008, 09:50 AM
:waving: to Lady Violet

We're practically neighbors then! I'm in Z town and drive through Clayton every weekday to drop my oldest off at high school. I even pass through Garner (or a little corner of it, anyway).

sabrinasmom
01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi

Anyone going/ been to the Shearing Day at Rising Meadows Farm in Libery? I've thought about going unless it is COLD.

KnitTogether
01-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Oops - I just saw this! I didn't realize there were so many knitters from NC. I am outside Asheville on top of one of the mountains. :waving:

:knitting:

Shandeh
01-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Anyone going/ been to the Shearing Day at Rising Meadows Farm in Libery? I've thought about going unless it is COLD.
I would love to go. I was thinking about it last year too. But, it all depends on our budget. We'll see.

Oops - I just saw this! I didn't realize there were so many knitters from NC. I am outside Asheville on top of one of the mountains. :waving:
Welcome! :hug:

sheilaksp
01-28-2009, 05:03 PM
love to go, when is it? It will depend on the weather though!

sheilaksp
01-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Looking for anyone around the Fayetteville area!

sabrinasmom
01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
love to go, when is it? It will depend on the weather though!
It's February 14th-Valentine's Day!

sheilaksp
01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
thanks for the info, is there a website to go to. I will need to talk to my husband about going he likes going to places with me but I don't know if he will like this. thanks again.

sabrinasmom
01-30-2009, 10:13 PM
thanks for the info, is there a website to go to. I will need to talk to my husband about going he likes going to places with me but I don't know if he will like this. thanks again.
www.risingmeadow.com

biztec
01-31-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm in Winston-Salem. I'm fairly new to knitting because I started as a crocheter and couldn't catch on to knitting until I learned the continental method. Now I'm hooked (pardon the crochet pun)!

biztec
01-31-2009, 10:48 AM
HI EVERYONE: DIANNE HERE FROM CLEMMONS, NC. WHY DON'T WE HAVE A KNIT SWAP OR KNIT ALONG FOR THE NC KNIT GANG? I WOULD LOVE FOR SOMEONE TO HEAD IT UP? I THINK IT WOULD LOADS OF FUN TO HAVE A NEW ONE GOING ON. I DO KNIT NITE ON WED. EVENING AT KNIT PICKY IN WINSTON SALEM AND WOW WHAT A GREAT BUNCH OF LADIES. WE HAVE A BALL. IF ANY OF YOU ARE AROUND COME ON OUT AND JOIN US. LOT'S OF NEW THING GOING ON ALL THE TIME.:woohoo:
Don't you just love Knit Picky? I wish I could come for Knit Nite, but I have choir practice.

Shandeh
01-31-2009, 07:54 PM
I just looked at the website for the Rising Meadow Farm Shearing Day in Liberty. http://www.risingmeadow.com/special_events.html

Gosh, I don't know if my hubby will want to sacrifice me for the day on Valentine's Day! :teehee: We'll see.

I'm in Winston-Salem. I'm fairly new to knitting because I started as a crocheter and couldn't catch on to knitting until I learned the continental method. Now I'm hooked (pardon the crochet pun)!
Welcome to the NC group! :hug:

TrishL1975
02-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Psst, Sheila, I'm in Fayetteville. I hooked up with one of the local groups on Ravelry. If I'm counting correctly, there are at least three groups in the Fayetteville area that meet weekly or more often.

C'mon over to Barnes & Noble (on Morganton) some Friday or Monday - there were at least a dozen ladies there Friday (the 30th) and they were very welcoming to a newbie.

OffJumpsJack
02-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Oh, just thought I'd mention a new discovery for me. I used the map in the sticky at the top of the thread but didn't see this LYS listed on it.

I found YarnBirds (http://www.yarnbirds.com/) in North Raleigh while drilling through the Addi US distributor site.

YarnBirds (http://www.yarnbirds.com/)
6675 Falls Of Neuse Road Ste. 121
Raleigh, NC 27615

danema
02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi...I'm a newbie to knitting using a loom. I'm here in Charlotte NC. I dabbled with knitting needles when I was very young..

Creativity constantly stirs in my blood. I am a massage therapist by profession(5yrs) after leaving a corporate career of 24 years. I also write inspirational poetry. I'm a single mom of 2 beautiful girls(20/14).

I have chosen to make changes in my life and to focus on flowing more in a creative spirit and was looking for something that would nurture that. One day at church, I saw someone using a knitting loom..that was 2 weeks ago, and now I'm working on my 1st project a blanket.

This project has allowed me to practice "being still" as before I was always on the go, worked very long days. My focus starting this year(actually started when I turned 50 last November) is to flow each day with "Grace and Ease". I want to add value to others by exhibiting a spirit of "Grace and Ease" and through this encourage them to find "Grace and Ease" in their lives..this also connects with the work I do as a therapist, as I see so many stressed out people with so many concerns about just living...however, they are stuck in the "doing" mode and forgetting how to "be still" and appreciate the gifts of life.

Anyway, found this forum and was hoping to connect with others that use the knitting loom..and share experiences and motivation..

Knitting Knewbie from North Carolina!

Shandeh
02-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Welcome danema! :hug:
I'm in the Charlotte area too. Great to find another Charlottean in the forum.

Shandeh
02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Howdovely and I decided to go the Shearing Day at Rising Meadows Farm. We had a lot of fun. You can read about it here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1207024&postcount=5805

(I added photos to the story as well.) cloud9

sabrinasmom
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
So that's who was driving that SMALL car!! My parents and I were walking up to cross the driveway as you were parking the car. Probably walked by you. Had no idea it was anyone I might know of. We had a good time also. The lambs were so cute. I work where wool socks are manufactured so now I know what the sheep have to go through so I can have a job!!

Shandeh
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Ha! Sorry we missed you Melanie! :heart:

OffJumpsJack
02-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Have you seen the new thread by Stitchabit "New in North Carolina (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89199)"?

Though I'd post a link for those near Asheville to hope over there or to welcome stitchabit back here. This is a big thread and a large forum for new arrivals to navigate. ;)

I though I remembered a member in Boon? :think: I could be mistaken. :shrug:

Have a good day (oh, and this bumps our NC thread back to the top. :) )

knittingincarolina
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm a new member, but a long time knitter from Mt Holly, in between Shandeh and knitaholic. Question to Shandeh and Knitaholic are there any LYS in Charlotte (preferrably on the west side), or Gastonia (other than the craft stores)? I haven't worked in Charlotte in over 10 years, so I've lost track of what's there.

Shandeh
03-17-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm a new member, but a long time knitter from Mt Holly, in between Shandeh and knitaholic. Question to Shandeh and Knitaholic are there any LYS in Charlotte (preferrably on the west side), or Gastonia (other than the craft stores)? I haven't worked in Charlotte in over 10 years, so I've lost track of what's there.

There are several yarn shops in the Charlotte area.
Here are a few, including one in Gastonia. (I found them online, so you'll want to call to make sure they are still open.)
Close Knit Knittery (http://www.knitmap.com/locations/close-knit-knittery-press.html)
Charlotte Yarn (http://www.knitmap.com/locations/charlotte-yarn.html)
Rainy Day Creations (http://www.knitmap.com/locations/rainy-day-creations.html)

There are several others. You can see them all on the Knit Map (a listing of yarn shops by location). Just enter your city and state, and you'll see them on a map to click.

kaitimom
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
HI
I'm here in greensboro. I've been crocheting for about 12 years but only learned to knit this past summer. I haven't read all 1000 or soo posts but in case no one mentioned it a really great all purpose yarn shop is Gate City Yarns on Elm St downtown. They seem to have classes in everything including spinning. You can buy the roving from them ( mostly form local farmers) as well as rent a wheel. Tina is really friendly and helpful. The other owner is Carl and he is supposed to be a great teacher of sock knitting. They also have a a knittting group I think every 3rd Thursday. And they are open late on 1rst Friday. Check out the website : gatecityyarns.com for more details.
The website isn't great and they are slow to reply to emails, but the store and staff are very nice.
Kait

Shandeh
03-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi kaitimom! :waving:
Welcome to the KH Forum. :hug:

lakeout
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM

A very good friend & dearly missed member of our Monday night Knit/Crochet group recently moved from Denver to Mt. Holly and I *know* she'd love to meet up with you.

Are you on Ravelry? If so, what is your Rav-name? OR would you mind pm'ing me your contact info & I'll pass it on to Ursula?

knitaholic
03-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi,

There's also The Unraveled Skein in Belmont--it's on Main Street-fairly new, and, as far as I know she's still there.

Knitaholic

Joli
03-25-2009, 04:09 PM
I live outside Four Oaks, NC. Am new to Knittinghelp and not exactly savvy getting around the site. (What is a thread?) I knit the way I learned as a child, so learning new tricks may not be easy. Sometimes need help interpreting instructions and don't know anyone nearby to ask for help.

Shandeh
03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
....(What is a thread?).......
Hi Joli! :waving:
Welcome to the KH Forum. :hug:

A "thread" is a discussion that is going on in the forum.

If you look at the main forum page, you'll see sections like "What'cha Knitting", and "General Knitting", and "How To Questions". When you go into any of those sections, you'll see several discussion "threads" going.

OffJumpsJack
03-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I live outside Four Oaks, NC. Am new to Knittinghelp and not exactly savvy getting around the site. (What is a thread?) I knit the way I learned as a child, so learning new tricks may not be easy. Sometimes need help interpreting instructions and don't know anyone nearby to ask for help.

:waving: Welcome to the forum and to this thread!

I'm near you and attend a church Prayer Shawl Ministry first Sunday of each month in Wendell, NC. That's where I ask questions if I can't find help here (which is seldom.) :)

So, now you know someone nearby and a place you can go.

OffJumpsJack
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Hey everybody!

Welcome a new member, VickiB, in Franklin County near Louisburg NC who start a new thread, Any Knitters in Franklin County near Louisburg NC (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91435).

I've already posted my :waving: on her thread, though I'm just in Wake county which borders on the south of Franklin.

Janet71
07-08-2009, 03:07 PM
:cheering: Hey everybody, I'm new to the knittinghelp forum. I'm a SAHM in Jacksonville, NC. I just learned to cast on and do the knit stitch with the videos on this site last night. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Shandeh
07-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi Janet! :hug:

Welcome to the NC KHer's group! :)

stitchabit
07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Janet

Welcome!
:yay: :yay: :yay:

Janet71
07-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the welcome!:muah:

Belphoebe
07-15-2009, 11:34 PM
It is with mixed feelings that I post this. Due to the economic downturn for teachers in North Carolina, and not knowing from day to day if my job would be here or not depending on the whims of our state government leaders....I applied and have been offered a job in another state. I will be moving to Iowa at the end of this month. I appreciate all of the online friendships I've had in NC, especially the knitters I have gotten to know. I hope my lurking over the past year hasn't upset some of you whom I used to converse with more often, but life simply got in the way. I'll try to keep up with you all, just from another state. Keep your needles straight and with yarn! :knitting:

Jennifer

Shandeh
07-16-2009, 12:58 AM
We'll miss you, Jennifer!
But, I know we'll still be able to see you here in the forum.

I hope your career works out well for you!

OffJumpsJack
07-16-2009, 08:50 AM
It is with mixed feelings that I post this. Due to the economic downturn for teachers in North Carolina, and not knowing from day to day if my job would be here or not depending on the whims of our state government leaders....I applied and have been offered a job in another state. I will be moving to Iowa at the end of this month. I appreciate all of the online friendships I've had in NC, especially the knitters I have gotten to know. I hope my lurking over the past year hasn't upset some of you whom I used to converse with more often, but life simply got in the way. I'll try to keep up with you all, just from another state. Keep your needles straight and with yarn! :knitting:

Jennifer

Jennifer, hello and farewell but I'm sure we will still see each others post again. Isn't that the great thing about an Internet community? No matter where you move, you will still be "next door" (in that box called a computer.)

Glad to hear you have a new job; just stay out of the corn especially if there are children around. :doh: :)

lestrella
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I haven't been here in ages! Jennifer, I'm sorry to hear that your are moving. Glad to know that you have a job. Wish you all the best! Stay in touch.

I was working for the school system as well and got laid off :(
It was pretty upsetting at the beginning. I think I'm ok now. I'm still unemployed. In the meantime, I'm trying to open an Etsy shop. Let's see how that goes.

Larissa
www.beyondstitches.blogspot.com
:hug:

Froggy9682
09-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone! My name is Rachael, and I am a new knitter in Asheville, NC. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any local knitting groups? Favorite shops?? I look forward to getting to know you NC knitters!

Shandeh
09-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Rachael! Thanks for your message.
Welcome to the North Carolina KHers! :muah:

I've never been to any of the Asheville shops, but I hear that Earth Guild is awesome.

irresistibleewe
01-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I'm in Goldsboro, NC and am in the process of opening an online yarn shop from my home. I'm also planning to do basic knitting (needles) and loom knitting classes as well as "wool gatherings" and yarn tastings in the area. I don't know any other knitters in Goldsboro, so would love to meet some. My website is www.theirresistibleewe.com. It's coming along slowly since I'm doing most of it myself when I'm not teaching in one of our public schools. I love the yarn shops in the state, but got tired of having to drive at least an hour to get to any of them. I'm also trying to retire a few years early and do this full time, hopefully with an actual storefront.

ehensl
01-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Hello, NC Knitters!

I'm new to knitting--have officially been at it for about three days now! In that time, I have already found a LYS in Durham. I am a die-hard scrapbooker and collector of scrap stuff. I am so afraid that I will soon be adding yarn to my collection in my scraproom. I look forward to getting to "know" my knitting neighbors.

Shandeh
01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Welcome! :hug:

Doodknitwit
01-18-2010, 11:33 PM

Jennifer

:verysad:

sheilaksp
01-21-2010, 07:37 PM
What part of Goldsboro will you be in, and will you be teaching out of your house? I don't live near by but my husband goes to school there. Loom classes are interesting what about spinning?
Sheila
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I'm in Goldsboro, NC and am in the process of opening an online yarn shop from my home. I'm also planning to do basic knitting (needles) and loom knitting classes as well as "wool gatherings" and yarn tastings in the area. I don't know any other knitters in Goldsboro, so would love to meet some. My website is www.theirresistibleewe.com (http://www.theirresistibleewe.com). It's coming along slowly since I'm doing most of it myself when I'm not teaching in one of our public schools. I love the yarn shops in the state, but got tired of having to drive at least an hour to get to any of them. I'm also trying to retire a few years early and do this full time, hopefully with an actual storefront.

iknitsimple
01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Since I'm a native Carolinian, and I still live here, I guess I'm as good as anybody to start a thread for North Carolina knitters.

I was born in Charlotte, and have lived in the vicinity my whole life. I would love to get to know other knitters in the area.
i live in nc too around charlotte

Shandeh
01-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Nice to meet you, iknitsimple! :hug:

Shandeh
02-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Next weekend is the annual Sheep Shearing Day at Rising Meadow Farm in Liberty, NC. :woohoo:
http://www.risingmeadow.com/special_events.html

Howdovely and I went last year, and had a great time!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3329/3287764905_ba68d851d6.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/3287764285_4d3bdea2d5.jpg

They have roving and yarn available to buy:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3518/3287764829_519c432e9c.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/3287840465_6794fe327e.jpg

Here, you can see what others have knit with their yarn on Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/rising-meadow-farm-100-corriedale-yarn

Howdovely
02-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Sandy, I was JUST thinking about 'our' Valentine's Day last year!! I had so much fun going there with you!

This year will be quite different for me! I'm actually sort of celebrating Valentine's Day in a way. Richard and I are headed to the beach to see some Lighthouses for the weekend. I've never seen any, and there are like 6 or so here in NC! We are headed out Friday afternoon, and will come back Sunday.

Yay!

Shandeh
02-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Brenda, that sounds like a WONDERFUL trip you are planning!
Have a great time. :muah:

I'll miss you on Valentine's Day, though. :)
I might go to the Sheep Shearing Day again. Maybe I'll be brave enough to try the lamb stew this time. :teehee:

kristin0224
04-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi! I'm Kristin and I'm a fairly new knitter. :waving:

I live in Matthews, NC which is on the south side of Charlotte. My mom has been knitting for forever, my sister for many, many years, and I finally decided to try it myself. And now I'm totally hooked after only a few months. I've been to Knitting Help a bunch to watch the videos, but just now figured out that there is a board. :happydance:

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!!

Howdovely
04-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Yay! Welcome! I'm in High Point and relied heavily on knittinghelp.com videos! I learned around 4 years ago but then didn't knit really at all last year. I've now become addicted again and am knitting baby sweaters and hats for friends.

Fun fun!

Hi! I'm Kristin and I'm a fairly new

knitter. :waving:

I live in Matthews, NC which is on the south side of Charlotte. My mom has been knitting for forever, my sister for many, many years, and I finally decided to try it myself. And now I'm totally hooked after only a few months. I've been to Knitting Help a bunch to watch the videos, but just now figured out that there is a board. :happydance:

Doodknitwit
05-01-2010, 08:49 PM
hi * & welcome... I hope you have found the best LYS in our area and the US. It is in Mint Hill on Hwy 51. From Matthews cross Lawyers Rd the shop is in a white cottage on the left and is called Cottage Yarn. Sara is the owner and the customer service and selection of yarn are both amazing. They also have classes for all skill levels and Tuesday night is open knitting....

Shandeh
05-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi Kristin! I'm in Indian Trail. :)

littlejo
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I live in mt view and was wondering if you happen to know of any knitting clubs or crocheting groups around close? would love to join one if there is one close by.

littlejo
05-23-2010, 05:12 PM
honey bees in valdese and the yarn shop in old fort are both pretty good. the one in old fort is a little weird but its pretty cheap

dawn1838
06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
I live in Waynesville, NC. I have to travel 30 miles to find knitting supplies. (Walmart is my only other choice.) I would like to find fellow knitters in my area. I need lots of advice. :pray:

lestrella
07-27-2010, 09:19 AM

Hi Kristin, I go to Matthews almost every day. I take zumba classes at the Siskey Y. Maybe we can get together one of these days and knit. I've been in a knitting hiatus for about a year or more :-( I'm getting back on track now :-)

bmwmom2002
09-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I live in Waynesville, NC. I have to travel 30 miles to find knitting supplies. (Walmart is my only other choice.) I would like to find fellow knitters in my area. I need lots of advice. :pray:

Where do you normally end up going for yarn? Asheville? I believe there is a nice store in Dillsboro, but I've never been there, and there is one in Bryson City. If you want to head west, Peachtree, (near Murphy) has a great LYS. I live in Murphy and stop in at least once every 2 weeks. LOL

Belphoebe
09-11-2010, 04:16 PM
There is a yarn shop in Old Fort? Where?

dawn1838
09-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Where do you normally end up going for yarn? Asheville? I believe there is a nice store in Dillsboro, but I've never been there, and there is one in Bryson City. If you want to head west, Peachtree, (near Murphy) has a great LYS. I live in Murphy and stop in at least once every 2 weeks. LOL

I usually buy my yarn at AC Moore or Michael's in Asheville. And as I mentioned, Walmart but they do not carry much at all. I have been lucky enough to find some good stuff at yardsales. I'll try to check Dillsboro and Bryson City out. Thanks!

Doodknitwit
09-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Burnsville has Yummi Yarns located behind the Nuwray Inn. They have a wonderful selection.

sheilaksp
10-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Which part of Wilmington are you in? I use to go to Wilmington alot, well Carolina Beach and loved it. It has been a few years since I have been down there.
Not being nosing but what yarn store did you find. I am glad to hear that they have a nice store down there down.
I am not a beginner when it comes to knitting, but I have been knitting for over 30 years and have knitted many items. Been slow for awhile because of a car accident and headaches but trying to pick it up more.
If you ever have any questions feel free to ask I wouldn't mind helping you or putting you in the right directions. I am in Fayetteville which isn't too far from you depending on which way you go.
Enjoy knitting and remember to keep it fun.
Sheila Kay Piasecki

gcbriden
10-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Which part of Wilmington are you in? I use to go to Wilmington alot, well Carolina Beach and loved it. It has been a few years since I have been down there.
Not being nosing but what yarn store did you find. I am glad to hear that they have a nice store down there down.
I am not a beginner when it comes to knitting, but I have been knitting for over 30 years and have knitted many items. Been slow for awhile because of a car accident and headaches but trying to pick it up more.
If you ever have any questions feel free to ask I wouldn't mind helping you or putting you in the right directions. I am in Fayetteville which isn't too far from you depending on which way you go.
Enjoy knitting and remember to keep it fun.
Sheila Kay Piasecki

Brevard is a few miles south of Asheville and has the best knit shop in western NC, Charlotte's Fibers. Plan to spend the day because when you are finished shopping for yarn you will want to have lunch and spend the rest of the day shopping in Brevard.

Shandeh
10-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Sheila!
The message you replied to was a spammer. I removed them from the forum. (They had strange advertisements in their signature.)

gcbriden
10-30-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm new to this. I might be doing it all wrong. But I wanted everyone to know about the greatest yarn shop in Western NC located in Brevard NC.

gcbriden
10-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I guess I did it right this time. Charlotte's Fibers located in Brevard NC is the greatest yarn shop in Western NC. If you can't find it there, you can't find it anywhere, is my opinion. It is worth the drive from where ever you are. Brevard is also a great little town to shop in and stop for lunch also.

ccphillips
11-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Since I'm a native Carolinian, and I still live here, I guess I'm as good as anybody to start a thread for North Carolina knitters.

I was born in Charlotte, and have lived in the vicinity my whole life. I would love to get to know other knitters in the area.

I just signed up today. I have lived in NC for 45 years. I live in Kernersville. Would love to join a local group to learn more.

ccphillips
11-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi Shavon,

I just found this site. Are you still in Greensboro,NC? I lived there for 25 plus years and moved here 3 years ago.
Are there other knitters around?
Would liketo learn more as I am just a beginner but a quick learner.
Let me know if you would like to meet.
ccp

Another NC person over here! I currently live in Greensboro, although I've lived all over the Carolinas it seems: hometown and family in Rocky Mount, spent 2 years at a residential high school in Durham, college in Winston-Salem, grad school in Columbia, SC and now I've been living in Greensboro the past 3 years - whew! But I love living in Greensboro the most, and this place really feels like "home" for me.

I don't really "talk" to many knitters locally either - some of my coworkers at my former job used to knit during lunchtime, but I learned to knit after I left that job. I bet they'd be surprised to know I am an obsessed knitter now! :rofl: I still go to Winston some, so I might have to check out Knit Picky. I have frequented A.C. Moore constantly since I've learned to knit this year, so I've just recently been to one LYS - The Stitch Point - and I'm slowly starting to realize why everyone loves LYS so much. I really need to start branching out and finding some more.

Nice to meet all of you![/QUOTE]

OffJumpsJack
11-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Hello Briden and Phillips! :waving:

Welcome to the Knitting Help Forum and to the NC knitters thread. :yay:

Howdovely
11-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I just signed up today. I have lived in NC for 45 years. I live in Kernersville. Would love to join a local group to learn more.
Well hello there! I'm next door to you in HP, near 66/311. Have you been to Common Threads in High Point yet? That's the only local knitting place I go to and the group is LOVELY! I've only been knitting with them not quite a year and they welcomed me in right away. It's a great shop, you should try to pop in there sometime.

Brenda

sheilaksp
11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I have live in NC for about 40 years different places, but now in Fayetteville just down the street from Fort Bragg. Anyone near

Orionsbelt
11-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone!! Just moved to Greenville, NC in January with my company A.C. Moore Arts & Crafts. We are looking for a talented person who may be interested in teaching our wonderful customers how to knit. Have lots of people interested in learning and we need an awesome person to show them how!! If anyone is interested call the store and ask for Janet or Paula. We would :heart: to talk to you!! 252-378-3190

Thanks and happy :knitting: !!

Shandeh
11-10-2010, 09:26 PM
I love the AC Moore in my area. It's my favorite craft store. :)

ccphillips
11-26-2010, 02:31 PM
:yay: Well hello there! I'm next door to you in HP, near 66/311. Have you been to Common Threads in High Point yet? That's the only local knitting place I go to and the group is LOVELY! I've only been knitting with them not quite a year and they welcomed me in right away. It's a great shop, you should try to pop in there sometime.

Brenda

Great I have meaning to.I have started a Christmas Stocking and I might need some help, its way over my head. What nights are the classes?

I was up in Elkin on business on Tuesday. Its called Circle of Friends really neat shop. She dyes and spins some of her yarns.

Hope to meet you.

Carol

ccphillips
11-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks so much, I am so glad you all are out there!
Carol

smalltownknitguy
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
I have tried this at Ravelry with very few responses. I am a male knitter with a wife who also knits, and a daughter (who is learning), a son, and 2 dogs. My wife and I live in Murfreesboro, NC (NE NC near VA border). We are in search of other knitters/crocheters in the area.
I lead a group that meets at the Murfreesboro Library on the first Thursday of each month, next meeting March 3rd at 6 pm.

We are also hosting the "Keeping You in Stitches" Knitting Retreat in Murfreesboro, April 29 & 30. We will have classes, prizes, a field trip to an Alpaca farm, notions, yarn, Sit & stitch, and more. It is being brought to you by Heather Boyd, avid knitter & crocheter, her husband Rusty Boyd, avid knitter, crocheter, & published designer, and Claudia Morris, Knitter and owner of Southern Purls in Ahoskie, NC. For More information you can PM here or at smalltownknitguy on Ravelry.

My wife and I are also teaching Knitting, Crochet, and cross stitch from our home. You can also email me for that information.

Hope to find new NC Knitters soon!

AngelInAGlass
04-08-2011, 08:14 AM
just wanted to join in since I'm a NC knitter also!!!
I'm Angie, live close to Charlotte, in Monroe.
I'm addicted to ravelry!!
and love that I live in an area where within an hour or so, I can visit somewhere around 10 different LYS's!!!! <3

mojo11
12-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Raleigh native here, and my girlfriend and Kninja Master lives in Carrboro/Chapel Hill (actually White Cross, but nobody knows where that is). If you're out our way, you'll want to check out Yarns, Etc (Chapel Hill) and Great Yarns (Raleigh) or if you get a chance, Three Waters Farm just across the Alamance Co. line from Chapel Hill.

MrsKasiLou
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Hey everyone...I'm Kasey and I'm from Statesville. About 45 minutes north of Charlotte...

Artchic528
04-19-2013, 03:08 AM
Hi fellow NC Knitters!! :mrgreen:

I live near Concord and Kannapolis. In fact, Charlotte Motor Speedway is a stones throw from my house. It takes me 5 minutes to get to Concord Mills mall, if that.

The only kitting store I know of is "Knit One, Stitch Two", out in Northcross Shopping Center but I've never been. Is that a good place?

Shandeh
04-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Welcome! I live in Indian Trail, which is near Matthews. I've been to every yarn shop in the Charlotte area. Knit One, Stitch Too has some nice yarns, but they mostly cater to needlepoint customers. BUT nice yarn is nice yarn - so it's worth the trip! :)

FuffyKnitter
08-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Hello my fellow NCers!!! I live in Davidson which is a few miles north of Charlotte.

FuffyKnitter
08-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi fellow NC Knitters!! :mrgreen:

I live near Concord and Kannapolis. In fact, Charlotte Motor Speedway is a stones throw from my house. It takes me 5 minutes to get to Concord Mills mall, if that.

The only kitting store I know of is "Knit One, Stitch Two", out in Northcross Shopping Center but I've never been. Is that a good place?

I know of that store but have never been. The Needlepoint Center in Davidson is adorable! I am brand spanking new to knitting so my opinions of yarn stores may not be very accurate.

Shandeh
08-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting, Fuffy Knitter!

littlejo
11-06-2013, 08:58 PM
I am in hickory and have a little class at the library in mt view beside the mighty dollar. Its on monday nites at 6 pm. There is knitters, crocheters ,needle pointers and various others who come. Some come to learn how and others come to help others learn how. lol. We are FREE!!!! Not like the local yarn stores that charge 25.00 for 30 min of class. we recently made 55 purple baby boggins for the shaken baby group and have made over 175 boggins for the local homeless shelter. You dont have to work on what ever we decide to make for anyone. Come over and have a blast. we do!

claireweber
11-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Hey Little Jo - Hailing you from Winston. My neighbor next door is from Hickory, her family has a farm there. And 'Hunger Games' was filmed there too :)

I'll give you a holler if I can make it out your way on a Monday night. I like what your group has done for shaken babies.:hug:

littlejo
11-07-2013, 11:59 AM
The hunger games was actually filmed about 3 miles from my home..

littlejo
11-10-2013, 09:16 PM
meeting again tomorrow nite * monday 11-11-13* at the library in mt view beside the mighty dollar at 6 pm. come on out and join the fun!

littlejo
11-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Crochet/knit meeting tonite at mt view library on hwy 127 SOUTH beside mighty dollar. Its FREE!!!!!!!!! Come join in the fun!:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

claireweber
11-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up littlejo :hug: It looks as though my time should free up after Thanksgiving :pray: We have no family locally and will be spending Christmas Day with friends here. How late does the class go on Monday nights?

thatpricekid
02-21-2014, 01:42 PM
FYI - Alpaca Event at Cabarrus Arena today 8-5 and tomorrow 8-4. Yarn will be available. Admission is Free.

Carolina Alpaca Celebration 2014
February 22 23, 2014

4751 NC Hwy 49
Concord, North Carolina