PDA

View Full Version : OT(?): How Can I Make This Famous Tail?!

Diviknity
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Hello fellow knitters!

I am a knitter and a newbie sewer (just bought my new machine a few days ago). My boy is 3 years old and needs a tail for his costume for when he goes to school tomorrow. I can NOT let him down.

His costume this year is none other than the wolf suit that Max wears in Where The Wild Things Are (http://www.amazon.com/Where-Wild-Things-Maurice-Sendak/dp/0060254920/sr=8-1/qid=1162227426/ref=sr_1_1/002-3217048-2591233?ie=UTF8&s=books) by Maurice Sendak. (You can see a picture of it by looking inside the book; the suit is not on the cover).

That tail is long, bushy and shaped with some curves. Any ideas would be very greatly appreciated so that I can pull this off.

TIA!

Jan in CA
10-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Well, what I would do is go to the fabric store and look for some fuzzy fabric. Sew up one end and the side and stuff it, then pin it on the backside of the outfit. A wire coathanger would make nice curves (I've used them before), but with a small child who is running around preschool I'm not sure that is a good idea. I would also make the tail so it wouldn't trip him as he's playing, too.

knottydaisy
10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
If you want to knit/crochet this I'd do it in Eyelash yarn in the round and increase for the bigger part in the middle then decrease down to a point. Then I'd stuff it with polyfill or some other avalable, but soft material. Then if you want to make it so it doesn't trip him up you can have it attatch to his waist somehow.

Post a picture of your solution if you can, I'd love to see how you work it out!