PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a slimming bulky sweater?

Momma_Jo
10-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Just curious....I'm a size 14-16 at 5'5" and most of the bulky sweater patterns I see online or in magazines strike me as something that would make me look like a whale. Am I just paranoid?

nikic
10-30-2006, 05:38 PM
No, you're not. I probably wouldn't wear a bulky sweater unless I was a size 00 and trying to look bigger.

Even on the models they look bad.

I had a bulky sweater from Express a few years back. I was a size 4/5. I saw myself in a picture and gasped! It went to Goodwill the next day. :-x

cocoa
10-30-2006, 06:18 PM
If it's in a small rib pattern running downwards to the floor knitted in black or a dark colour it shouldn't be that bad.

Dee.

gardenmommy
10-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Also if it has some shaping to it (not just straight sides), in the waist and bust, it would help not be so "boxy."

CateKnits
I'm a size 4-6 and 5'4" and I knit a bulky sweater that I wear. :shrug: I don't think it makes me look that bad.

CarmenIbanez
I have found that the only sweaters that look good on me (size 10-12) are ones that are somewhat fitted at the waist.

knitqueen
10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Another thing that really helps is short row bust shaping. With short rows, it only adds fullness in that particular area, and the rest can still be more form fitting. Short rows can also be used to accomodate larger hips. It's a whole lot better than an all-over 'big' garment that gives enough room for the areas that need it but like you say makes you look like a whale.

I haven't really looked at this book but a lot of people are raving about Big Girl Knits (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php), you might want to check it out.

janelanespaintbrush
10-30-2006, 07:04 PM
The best way for a bulky sweater to be slimming is for the person next to you to be wearing one. You'll look slim in comparison! :teehee: (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Marie-Louise
10-31-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm size 10 and 6'. I have loads of bulky sweaters, as long as they are form fitting and have room for bigger bust and hips, I think they look nice.
But I do think I can only wear longer sweaters, you want a long look with bulky sweaters, and they can easlily make the upper part of your body look square.

ecb
10-31-2006, 11:49 AM
I have Big Girl Knits
I think it has some good ideas
but I use it more for modifying Other stuff than for its own patterns
maybe later I will find something I really like in it

ecb

knewbie
10-31-2006, 06:00 PM
If it makes you feel better: I never wear bulky sweaters. I had one once back in the eighties where that huge fuzzy yarn was in. It was reddish brown and reached past my knees.

As an 18+ (ahem) and 5'10", I looked like a trained bear.

My mother asked if I would ride a little bicycle if she gave me a cookie. :rofl:

Jan in CA
10-31-2006, 06:06 PM
My mother asked if I would ride a little bicycle if she gave me a cookie. :rofl:

:shock: :teehee:
I'm glad you had a sense of humor about it. :heart:

As far as the sweaters go...I probably wouldn't wear a big ol' sweater out, but they are sooooo comfy in the house! :teehee:

knewbie
10-31-2006, 06:49 PM
You have to know my mother. She has a way about her that you just gotta love her! :heart:

Momma_Jo
10-31-2006, 07:13 PM
If it makes you feel better: I never wear bulky sweaters. I had one once back in the eighties where that huge fuzzy yarn was in. It was reddish brown and reached past my knees.

As an 18+ (ahem) and 5'10", I looked like a trained bear.

:roflhard:

knewbie
10-31-2006, 08:17 PM
mammajo: we are near in age: do you remember that big fat arcrylic yarn that was sorta fuzzy?

I think it was knit on broomsticks.

Nice to see another canadian. I used to live in Banff when I was a kid: has it snowed for halloween there yet?