PDA

View Full Version : ? on Scruchable scarf pattern

Petals
10-30-2006, 08:27 PM
On this scarf pattern it says to cast on multiple of 3 st plus one on each edge for salvage. Okay, I have a total of 32 sts cast on. (30 plus 2 for salvage)

What do you do with the salvage edges?Slip the first st as to knit or what. And what about the last st.? I'm just not sure how this is intended to be.

My malabrigo is waiting! :teehee:

knitqueen
10-30-2006, 08:37 PM
You could do any number of things.

You could knit the first and last stitch of every row which would give you a one stitch garter border.

You could knit the first and last stitch of right side rows and purl the first and last stitch of every wrong side row. This would give you a one stitch stockinette border.

Or you could do what's called a chain selvedge (http://www.wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/index.php/Yarnpath/stupid_knitting_tricks_the_chain_selvedge/) in which you slip the first stitch of each row as if to purl with the yarn in front, and knit the last stitch of each row.

Because the pattern doesn't specify, you can pick any one of the above and it will look great.

Jan in CA
10-30-2006, 08:38 PM
I always slip the first stitch as if to purl, move the yarn back and follow the pattern, then knit the last stitch. Makes for very nice edges!

Petals
10-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Thank you, thank you! You guys are the greatest!
Now I can go have fun!!