PDA

View Full Version : Best Yarn for Illusion Knitting??

humblestumble
10-31-2006, 01:29 AM
I just started doing illusion knitting, but I was doing it with homespun and the results are less than pleasing. I figure it may be because the yarn is already wavy-like. Do you guys have any suggestions for yarn for illusion knitting which is something I can pickup at my local commercial craft place? (I don't like the LYS here)

I am knitting a scarf, so that will have some kind of play into what yarn I will choose.

jodstr2
10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
just my opinion - something in a dk or sport weight with good stitch definition works well for illusion. nothing fuzzy or hairy. the idea is to get the purl bumps to really stand out "above" the knit "V"s so the picture is visible.

also, I wouldn't recommend worsted weight if your chart has a lot of rows. for each line, or slice, of the picture, you will create 4 rows (2 in which the purl bumps stand out and 2 in which the knit Vs lie flat). so if you're using something as thick as worsted, your picture will be huge.

I used Rowan Cashsoft 4-ply for my Decepticon. check my blog thread for a pic.
I think Lion Microspun will work well.

:heart: good luck, HTH :heart:

humblestumble
10-31-2006, 03:18 PM
That makes sense! Thanks for the input, I will go looking for some DK at the store. I did start knitting with worsted, and it is twice the size that I wanted! I"ll go take a look at your blog :)

JLC
10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
I used Lion Wool-Ease when I made a scarf a year or so ago. It turned out ok, but if I did it again, I'd use a thinner yarn.