PDA

View Full Version : Haindpaintedyarn.com VS Mmmmmmalabrigo

huvi
10-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Is there a difference besides $$$$$$$$$$ the handpainted is half the price.

Has anyone ordered from them?

Does anyone know the differences in there yarns I can't figure it out.

I'd love to place an order but I find it difficult without actually seeing and touching but I guess I must get over it. Some more info would definitely
help. I'd just love some of that softness I'm super sensitive and nothing is soft enough.

I know I can count on help around here.

suzeeq
10-31-2006, 12:28 PM
I've heard the yarns come from the same place. HPY may not have all the colors available as Malabrigo. And for an extra deal, the ebay seller, http://stores.ebay.com/Serendipity-in-South-America also has the same yarn. Again, not all the same colors in the same wool.

sue

candicane
10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Don't forget to compare the yardage/skein when you are comparing pricing. I just looked at the HPY website and I am not seeing Merino Worsted. Am I missing something?

Candice

brendajos
10-31-2006, 01:21 PM
i didn't see any either. Their bulky is more yardage than malabrigo bulky though but i didn't see any merino worsted so no way of comparing that as far as i can tell. the colors i saw on there didn't excite me the way malabrigo colors do though.

Julie
10-31-2006, 03:31 PM
From what I understand (heard it at my LYS) the people who run Malabrigo and HPY are brothers. When Malabrigo began selling worsted merino to US yarn shops wholesale, they removed it from the HPY site. You can still get bulky merino (which is absolutely amazingly yummy!!!) and quite a few other yarns at HPY, but no merino worsted. If you're looking for worsted merino that is almost identical, but not as expensive, www.100purewool.com is the place to go. :D

Quiara
10-31-2006, 03:43 PM
I have a friend who uses the 100purewool in her handpainted yarn business. It's really lovely stuff. The worsted weight is a little lighter weight than malabrigo, but it's definitely very nice yarn.

KellyK
10-31-2006, 04:07 PM
OOOH! Julie... you are just the ULTIMATE yarn resource!! :drool:

mwedzi
10-31-2006, 04:45 PM
yeah, i think these are the same yarns. it's just that the worsted weight version is not sold on the website and is only sold under the name Malabrigo. you can read about it in Knitters' Review's review on handpaintedyarn.com . But handpaintedyarn.com ships from South America, so it takes a long time to get your order, and I imagine shipping costs are not particularly cheap.

ETA: I just went to 100purewool. Very nice stuff. But when I added 5 hanks (how much I would need for plain stockinette sweater at my size) at $6.50 each to my cart, it was $16 shipping, so $48.50 total to ship from Uruguay. If I go to Webs and get 5 hanks of Malabrigo at $12, I get 20% off which brings it to $48 plus shipping, so $53.15 total. So not much difference in overall price, and probably much faster shipping cuz it's local.

candicane
11-01-2006, 10:04 AM
I am waiting for an order from 100purewool now. If you are not in a hurry and add the right amount to balance out the shipping, the cost per skein can be a little less expensive than Malabrigo. Plus the color selection from 100purewool is much greater than Malabrigo from Webs.

I am wearing a wrap today made from 100purewool merino. I love it!

Candice