PDA

View Full Version : knitty knucks

Cherinec5
10-31-2006, 02:44 PM
so i'm making these for my cousin and i just joined the thumb. i'm confused as to where the stitch markers go. would i put on in the middle of the thumb (beginning of round) and on the other side by the little finger? and just start decreasing from there? i was working on this last night and was confused so i put it on hold till i get more info :))

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTknucks.html

brendajos
10-31-2006, 02:56 PM
well i did mine on two circs so i didn't need the one for the middle of the thumb (since the middle was the divide between the two circs) The other markers go on either end of the thumb. I am not sure how many needles you are on right now but basically your thumb had something like 16 stitches on it right? When i divided mine i put them on the two needles so i had 8 stitches of the thumb on one needle and 8 on the other. the marker goes right between the palm of the hand and the thumb. (does that make sense?) also, there are tutorials and things on the pattern creator's forum here. (http://woolywonder.com/forums/) i know there is discussion of the thumb attachment there.

Cherinec5
10-31-2006, 03:14 PM
ok i have already attached the yarn and i'm placing the markers. i'm working with 4 dpns. i have already joined the thumb and i placed a marker on either side of it. then when i have to move the stitches to 3 needles, i also have to place another marker in the middle of the thumb, or the safety pin doens't count as a marker where i would decrease?

Continuing with second needle of last round (after ssk), place stitch marker, k first 2 sts of thumb together, k next 5[6, 7] sts of thumb; using another needle, k next 5[6, 7] sts of thumb, ssk, place stitch marker, k first 2 sts of next hand round together, k to end of needle. 44[54, 64] sts.

K the 22[27, 32] sts from next needle onto 2 needles, dividing sts evenly. Place safety pin at this point (center of thumb) to indicate beginning of round.

Thumb Gusset
Divide sts between needles as desired when working next round.

K 2 rounds.

Next Round: K to 2 sts before first marker, k2tog, k to second marker, ssk, k to end.

so basically i will decrease on either side of the thumb???? i dont know why its not making sense lol. this will be my first glove!

brendajos
10-31-2006, 04:53 PM
essentially the only thing you are doing with those markers is decreasing the thumb down to nothing. when you are done with all the decreases the only thing you will be left with is the palm (actually the wrist by then) of the hand.

This probably doesn't help much but the pic i am attaching is the thumb gusset on my knucks. it is the "triangle" below the join that you are decreasing down to. (does that make sense at all?...lol)

Mod Squad was here

brendajos
10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
wow that picture is bad....cell phone ...sorry...

Cherinec5
11-01-2006, 11:31 AM
hi thanks alot for the help. i got it! i just finished the first one last night and have already completed all the fingers. next is just joining them and continuing along!