PDA

View Full Version : Wrist pains

Summerlily9
10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
I just started knitting again for the first time in a few months. My wrist has been killing me! Does this happen to others? I've had problems with my wrist in the past playing field hockey.
I love to knit but this is really not helping!

Any suggestions?

10-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Ibuprofen and ice. My shoulders hurt after a little while, which sucks, so I take lots of breaks and dope up on my drugs :rofl:

Every once in a while my elbow will just be killing me and the ice helps a lot.

Rorshach
11-01-2006, 01:20 AM
yeah I've noticed that when I knit for long periods of time, my wrists also start to ache, not sharp jabs mind you, but just a dull ache. At that point I usually quit, though if you have hurt your wrists, you might take a look at a therapeutic glove, those are primarily used for people who have RSI's or carpal tunnel syndrome.

Marie-Louise
11-01-2006, 05:22 AM
My wrists are in very bad shape due to RSI. I have one of those braces, but I can't throw the yarn with that thing on, so I don't use it while knitting. What works for me is to stretch and move every 15 minutes, to get the tension out of my wrists and shoulders. I also alternate between continental knitting and English style. Found out that my tension is the same both ways. If I'm in the middle of a row or repeat I rather switch than stretch, I wouldn't be able to tell where I was if I dropped my work to stretch.

nonny2t
11-01-2006, 08:47 AM
I too get wrist/hand/ shoulder pain when I knit for long periods. I can usually tell when I am not going to be knitting long because my hands will ache almost right from the start. Stretching the fingers and hands is a good suggestion. After you have the pain, any type of anti-inflammatory works well Ibuprophen, Naproxin, Aspirin, but forget Tylenol it doesn't work for this type of thing. If it is really bad and the above doesn't work, try Pepcid or Zantac. The doctor told us the other night when Jack was in the hospital for the darn swelling issue that one of these two actually is a powerful anti-inflammatory (actually makes sense when you figure your stomach is inflamed when you have heartburn etc) and that it is stronger than Ibuprophen. Heat packs are good too! Good luck with finding something to help you out!

Faye

Sara
11-01-2006, 10:25 AM
My wrists hurt if I use straight needles. I don't have any problem if I use circulars.

losnana
11-01-2006, 12:11 PM
My wrists hurt if I use straight needles. I don't have any problem if I use circulars.

Mine too!!! I thought it was psychological because I hate seaming so much I always want to use circulars.

Stonington
11-01-2006, 12:14 PM
What about the joints in your fingers? Wow... for the last few weeks.. it even wakes me up at night. They are not swollen but sore. Hate to complain about it at home ha! but since you brought up wrist pain I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone else is experiencing it.

anne
N. Sebago ME

jolenel
11-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Did your wrist hurt when you knit before you took this break, or is it just after?

My wrists don't get sore when I knit English, but I recently started knitting Continental also, and my left hand/wrist were sore after the first couple Continental sessions. I think I was just overly tense when I first started out, because it's not happening anymore. Maybe you're holding the needles or yarn differently since you haven't knitted for a little while? :shrug:

Summerlily9
11-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I knit continental, it's all i've ever learned...I only learned about 5 months ago over the summer and then school started (i'm in college) and I didn't have much time)...maybe it's the way I knit, i've started taking more breaks...thanks for all the suggestions!

cocoa
11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi there,

I did, but I think it was because I was knitting with wool. I had pains in the hands, neck and legs.

Have you tried knitting with less tension? may be an elasticated wrist sport support would also be beneficial:)

Dee.