PDA

View Full Version : Throwing away yarn

mwedzi
11-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Well, I'm doing it, I'm throwing away yarn. Several pounds of it. I hate doing it, but it's either so thick and stiff or so harsh that I can't possibly knit with it. That's what I get for buying cheap yarns (all natural fiber, by the way). :verysad: Well, even though it's a box full, I don't think the whole lotcost more than $20. Better than getting expensive yarn and being disappointed. bye bye yarn

Mama Bear
11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Have you considered donating it to the local charity/thrift store? It may be perfect for some rug, sink scrubbies or such that someone is planning on making.

Mama Bear

mwedzi
11-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I thought about it for a second, but considering the nearest Salvation Army to me is an hour and a half away by bus, decided against it.

Compulsive
11-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I agree. You could donate the yarn to a nearby school, religious organization, Girl Scout troop, or nursing home.

I found most natural yarsn soften after washing & blocking. I purchased a cone of wool from Web's. The stuff felt like straw! I swatched a bit and hand washed the swatch. After blocking, and drying, the yarn was MUCH softer.
Just a thought.

mwedzi
11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
I agree. You could donate the yarn to a nearby school, religious organization, Girl Scout troop, or nursing home.

I found most natural yarsn soften after washing & blocking. I purchased a cone of wool from Web's. The stuff felt like straw! I swatched a bit and hand washed the swatch. After blocking, and drying, the yarn was MUCH softer.
Just a thought.

I had the same thought, and did knit a swatch and washed and blocked it. Still harsh. And even if it wasn't, this yarn is so nasty, I wouldn't knit or crochet with it to get to a finished project to block in the first place. The cotton is not as bad, just thick and inappropriate for anything but rugs, but the wool actually hurts to knit or crochet with.

I would donate it if there was a place in the neighborhood, but having no car, it's just not worth it to me to do a 3 hour round trip on the bus and pay bus fare to donate this cheap yarn.

gardenmommy
11-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Do you have Freecycle in your area? You can make a posting and you can make arrangaements with the interested party to have them pick it up at an area convenient to you (like your workplace if you are concerned about doing it at your home).

Maybe a weaver could use it, it require a bit less "hands on" activity than knitting or crochet.

www.freecycle.org

brendajos
11-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I put mine that I got rid of on CraigsList and it was snatched up right away. You could arrange for them to meet you at a location near your home so you don't have to have them come to your house. You could freecycle it too and do the same thing.

mwedzi
11-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey, that's a good idea. I think I will Freecycle it.

candicane
11-01-2006, 12:00 PM
My aunt belongs to a Senior Center that takes donations. She is teaching others how to knit. I am sure just about any senior center would also love to have it.

Candice

Jan in CA
11-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Schools use yarn for art projects so if Freecycle won't take it there must be an elementary or preschool nearby. Give them a call and tell them it's free, just come and get it. Please don't throw it away unless you have no other choices.

mwedzi
11-01-2006, 04:44 PM
donating to a school might be worthwhile, too. i don't know if there are any senior citizens homes in my neighborhood. what i want to explain, though, is that i don't have a car and so to transport this yarn around, this crappy yarn, seems such a waste of energy. seriously, i think i'd rather throw the yarn away and donate the $10 the yarn is worth to a senior citizens home so they could buy food, because expending so much enery on saving this cheap yarn when the money or time could be donated for more important things like food or clothing (cuz i always think poor people could use those things a lot more than they could use cheap yarn; i know i prefer food during my harder times!) seems kinda silly. You know, skip the 3 hour bus ride to the local salvation army and instead tutor a child for 3 hours.

wow, that little speech came out of me unexpectedly. interesting moment of self-realization. i guess i don't value yarn as much as i thought i did. :shock:

janelanespaintbrush
11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
wow, that little speech came out of me unexpectedly. interesting moment of self-realization. i guess i don't value yarn as much as i thought i did. :shock:

Such blasphemy! I would plead temporary insanity if I were you. :rofl:

Seriously, though. When I'm giving something away, I like to use craigslist or freecycle. Once I get an interested party (and if it's something like a tv, there will be many, but I imagine yarn would be popular too), I just leave whatever it is in front of the house for them on a designated day so I don't even have to be home. (I usually put a label on it so nobody else grabs it.) If they want it, they can come get it. Even if your house is out of the way, someone might be interested in it enough to make the drive. You never know. I think we KH'ers just have trouble with the concept of discarding yarn...

brendajos
11-01-2006, 05:22 PM
I am actually feeling that way more and more about just about anything these days actually. I would rather donate to an organization or an individual than add more to a landfill. You never know how it will be received. I donated some bathmats to someone on craigs list a while back and she was so delighted with them that she sent me a thank you note. i was sick to death of them by that point but they were still in decent condition so there was no need to not let someone else enjoy them.

One man's trash and all that ya know...

ecb
11-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I well recognize BOTh sides to this discussion
I have to declutter my home an my life
Dontaitons to causes and charities is always good
as long as the donation is not a hardship to the person who is doing the donating
do what you can
I know I cannot store things to take care of LATER or else I just end up stuck with them for another year or so
that is why I knit and give away things so often

I support your choice
you know whats right for you

and good job at taking care of yourself

ecb

mwedzi
11-01-2006, 06:28 PM
okay, i've posted it in the free section of Craigs list. Maybe somebody will enjoy it.

Mama Bear
11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I totally understand the "this isn't worth the time and effort to donate".

Sometimes, it's just not meant to be!

Mama Bear

vknits
11-05-2006, 02:00 AM

Just a thought.

Compulsive I need to talk/chat /email you. I got some DK weight yarn from WEBS many months and it feels like straw AND I have no idea what to do with it. Do you have any suggestions? I was thinking of combining it with some other yarn to make some felted clogs . What do u think?

KellyK
11-05-2006, 03:00 AM
ORRR, you can post it in the Buy/Sell/Swap forum HERE, and maybe sell it for a yarny gift certificate OR trade it for a book you've been wanting... then all you have to do is make a quick trip to the post office... :shrug:

jelly
11-05-2006, 03:16 AM
sometimes the only humane thing to do is trash it

i recently went thru my stash and i weeded out all my fun fur and gave it to my 10 yr old goddaughter who thinks it is cool, but i couldn't foist the Bernat Disco on her - that would have been cruel

i trashed that and some weird looking sparkly muppet fur that i must have bought when i was medicated

mwedzi
11-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I found someone at my school to give it to. I wouldn't feel right about charging people money for this yarn, esp. dear KH'ers. Really, it is very bad. It exploded the myth that all natural fiber are better than all man-made fiber. I even thought it wouldn't be great to charge people shipping for this. In any case, the post office is still a 30 minute walk from my apt., so not such a quick trip. But not much more than what I had to do anyhow, a 25 minute walk carrying this awkward 5 lb box to school. If 5 lbs sounds light, try carrying it in the form of a cumbersome box for 25 minutes! Anyway, I gave it to someone there who responded to the Craigs List posting (Freecycle never responded to my membership request). I hope she finds something to do with it. Maybe the whole thing can be cat toys?

brendajos
11-05-2006, 11:13 AM
:cheering: I can imagine that box was no fun to carry but bully for you for giving it away!

It took a while for my freecycle group to respond to me and then all of a sudden i started getting e-mails from people wanting my stuff i was giving away. i found that i was having trouble finding someone on freecycle who would actually follow through. much better luck with craigs list for me. if your freecycle leader does post your yarn though, you will want to get out there right away to say it has been claimed so they stop bothering you! ;)

janelanespaintbrush
11-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Well you are a real trooper to have walked all that way with a big heavy box of yarn. (I used to be carless so I understand about carrying stuff.) In hindsight, I feel really guilty about pushing you to donate... I honestly thought you'd be able to find someone to come to you instead of having to transport it yourself. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I live in a central location where it's never been a big deal for people to drop by. :oops:

janelanespaintbrush
11-05-2006, 11:32 AM
i found that i was having trouble finding someone on freecycle who would actually follow through. much better luck with craigs list for me.

I've had problems with no-shows too, even with CL. That's why I just leave stuff outside for pick up now. I can't stand waiting around... especially when people don't even have the courtesy to let me know they'll be late or have changed their mind.