PDA

View Full Version : Mason Dixon LOG CABIN Afghan - If $$$$ were not a problem...

lkimc
11-01-2006, 12:45 PM
what yarn would you choose? Not that $$$$ is not a concern, but........I just received a very nice gift card to my LYS :cheering: and am thinking this project may be the one to use it on. So, that being the case, what would you choose. I'm looking for a more rustic, ranchy feel but want yarn that will drape nicely and be cozy warm. Probably should be washable since I have 3 dogs in the house, but I know that may eliminate alot of "yummy" choices so that is not an absolute necessity. Ideas????
Thanks so much!
Kim

11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I made the Log Cabin blanket out of Bernat's Softee Chunky. It's 100% acrylic, not the most luxurious yarn out there, but you do have to buy quite a few skeins and it got expensive but it is very warm and washed just fine.

I got them at Walmart so that made it more affordable. It drapes very nice. But that's just my budget. :wink:

jodstr2
11-01-2006, 05:56 PM
if $$$ were absolutely no concern, I'd probably use the Cotton Classic that was used for the book version. I made a scarf with that stuff. it's shiny, soft, and comes in a hugangous selection of colors. but 48 hanks... ooouch. this stuff is $5-$6 a hank.

Quiara
11-01-2006, 07:14 PM
If it were honestly no concern, I'd use alpaca. ^_^ I'm an alpaca NUT. I just got some more today from my LYS for a scarf for MEEEEE. It's a camel color melange with blue and red accents. So pretty -- and so sooooft.

mwedzi
11-01-2006, 10:18 PM
If money were no object, I'd do it in a superwash wool, maybe even a superwash merino. I've always wanted to try Cascade Superwash as it feels so soft. or maybe something like this: http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/2837/

Julie
11-01-2006, 10:57 PM
If money were no object, I'd make it out of Cashmerino Chunky. :D

nikic
11-02-2006, 10:55 AM
If money were know object, cashmere! All cashmere! :teehee:

Alpaca would be my top choice though. How would you wash something that big though? :??

itscryttle
11-02-2006, 02:16 PM
If money were no object, I'd make it out of Cashmerino Chunky. :D

Same here!!!

lkimc
11-02-2006, 04:07 PM
LOVE the ideas. Keep 'em coming!!! :hug:

I'm loving the idea of the chunky cashmerino. Will have to check that one out.

Kim