PDA

View Full Version : Would it hurt the Mmmmmalabrigo?

knitaddict
11-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Or insult it? ;)

I bought a hank to make A Touch of Whimsey for a friend's Christmas present and I'm truly in love. I now understand why everyone loves it so much. :heart:

I've been wanting to make myself some clogs since I finished the pair for another friend, but I want them to be super soft. Would it be a waste of Mmmmmmalabrigo to make clogs out of them and then walk all over the MMmmmm?? They'd be for inside only, as well as going on my cement porch.

What do you think?

knitqueen
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Didn't Ingrid just make some for her g'son out of Malabrigo???

Julie
11-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I never thought I'd dare felt my mmmmmalabrigo (too precious!) but then I felt Andrea's Lucy bag. I made one too (just like hers, stalker that I am) and even though I haven't carried a purse since high school, I bring it everywhere so I can feel the loooovely mmmmalabrigoey softness. :mrgreen: A bit spendy for clogs, but man, it does make the most wonderful felted fabric. mmmmmmm.

If you're on a budget... www.100purewool.com merino is every bit as soft as mmm, but a bit cheaper. :D

brendajos
11-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I gotta say that I have a front load washer so a lot of what i felt doesn't really lose all the stitches due to my impatience with running the machine so many times. Malabrigo was the first yarn i felted that took almost no effort and lost all stitch definition...it is WONDERFUL to felt.

and if you don't want to go through them so fast you could get the leather soles to put on them so they last longer.

Ingrid
11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I did use Malabrigo on the little clogs. Ryan was a bit disappointed that the felted yarn wasn't as soft as the loose yarn, but it's the nature of the felting, not the Malabrigo. They are very thick and cushy, though.

gardenmommy
11-01-2006, 09:43 PM
You mean hurt the Malabrigo's feelings? ;)

VictoiseC
11-02-2006, 05:32 PM
that's an interesting site Julie, the 100purewool. The yarn looks fabulous (the colours). Have you bought it? Do you think it really compares with the malabrigo? I'm tempted to get some.
I've wanted malibrigo for a year now and still haven't indulged myself. (and geez, you others are FELTING with it!!!!)

Andrea
11-02-2006, 05:59 PM
I never thought I'd dare felt my mmmmmalabrigo (too precious!) but then I felt Andrea's Lucy bag. I made one too (just like hers, stalker that I am) and even though I haven't carried a purse since high school, I bring it everywhere so I can feel the loooovely mmmmalabrigoey softness. :mrgreen: A bit spendy for clogs, but man, it does make the most wonderful felted fabric. mmmmmmm.

:teehee: I believe it's the strongest felted yarn I've ever seen...

Quiara
11-02-2006, 06:01 PM
that's an interesting site Julie, the 100purewool. The yarn looks fabulous (the colours). Have you bought it? Do you think it really compares with the malabrigo? I'm tempted to get some.
I've wanted malibrigo for a year now and still haven't indulged myself. (and geez, you others are FELTING with it!!!!)

I really think it's every bit as soft as malabrigo, Victoise. It's soft and just lovely to knit with. I just bought some more specialty dyed 100purewool and I love it every bit as much as the malabrigo I've had. The weight is slightly different. I'd say the 100purewool worsted is a little lighter weight than the worsted malabrigo, but other than that, I really don't see much difference.

KellyK
11-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Just be careful... Malabrigo felts with a LIGHTNING QUICKNESS! One of Chix' customers knitted My Constant Companion and ended up with a Booga Bag!! :shock:

But, I think it would make GREAT clogs!!

Quiara
11-02-2006, 09:29 PM
So does the 100purewool. I'm wearing a felted wrist cuff that gives me no end of smiles (I'm a weirdo) and it's 100purewool. Very soft, though, even after felting. But yeah, felts like a mug; instant solid.

VictoiseC
11-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks Quiara! Think I'll try it. A felted wrist cuff huh? That sounds like something comfy I could get into esp since my wrist hurts a LOT!
They oughta make wrist vitamins for knitters who knit too much. :teehee: