PDA

View Full Version : Dishcloths.....How do I colorfast them? Vinegar?

Tobinknit
11-01-2006, 11:16 PM
I made some dishcloths for myself a few years ago and just love them but was disappointed on how fast they faded. I want to make several as Christmas gifts but don't want them to look old the first time they are washed. I have heard you can colorfast them by using vinegar. Has anyone tried this? If so, what strength do you use and how long should they be soaked to set the color? I have used both Sugar & Cream and Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton which I believe is called something else now. Maybe they are making the kitchen cotton more colorfast now as I have had several skeins of different colors for awhile now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry. I just realized I put this in the wrong topic. It should be in the How to Questions.....but I don't know how to change it. First time here. :doh:

nikic
11-02-2006, 10:52 AM
I just make mine in all white! :teehee:

I think vinegar does help. You might try searching threads about dying yarn. Those folks would probably know.

If anything, here is a bump for you!

Tobinknit
11-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your reply. I will check it out. I have made them in the natural as well but the colors are so pretty.......IF they would stay pretty much like they were originally made.

Tobinknit
11-02-2006, 11:58 AM
In case someone is interested, I found this link and will try this on a few. Guess I just didn't search enough before I made this post.

http://norbys.stores.yahoo.net/colorfastness.html

Jan in CA
11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Interesting. They do fade, but I find staining a bigger issue for me. Not much I can do about it since they are doing their job. I've tossed them in the wash with bleach as well so they are truly icky looking now. :teehee: Let us know how the vinegar works!

Tobinknit
11-02-2006, 01:26 PM
That's why I like the colored ones because they do hide some of the regular use stains. They definitely don't like enchilada sauce wipe ups!
I will experiment with the vinegar thing....but took the day off to try felting on these slippers I made. Let's hope the "loosely" directions are loose enough but not too loose.

newamy
11-04-2006, 12:32 PM
After knitting soak in 50/50 vinegar and water for about 5 minutes than wash in cold water with only a tiny bit of detergent. I then only partly dry them in the drier and then lay them out to dry the rest of the way to block. Once actually in use though I only wash and dry like normal. I find that while they still fade the vinegar treatment slows the process a bit. Also the really bright colors seem to last quite a while anyway.

I don't think people expect a dischloth to look perfect forever, so don't fret too much.

Tobinknit
11-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your reply. I will use the proportions you said and call it good. Now I just need to get several made....into doing slippers at the moment along with a bunch of other things. You know how it is. If I would just make myself complete something instead of getting excited about something else and starting it. Oh well, guess I will just have to have a week or two set aside as "FINISH WEEK". :happydance: