PDA

View Full Version : switching to continental knitting

overnet
11-03-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm wondering how long it took you (anyone?) to switch from traditional/American throw over knitting to continental. I know it's a learning curve. Will I get the hang of it soon?

Elaine

misstialouise
11-03-2006, 12:22 AM
A good solid 2 weeks for the knit. Another 3 weeks for the purl..

Having said that.. once I got it.. I started flying!

overnet
11-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Thank You! So it seems like you are satisfied and it really is worth the effort of switching over. It's only been a few days and I was worried about my slow speed (lol) - now I'll give myself until the end of the month.

brownishcoat
11-03-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm really faster now, too. The more you practice, the easier and faster it gets. I just wish I had more time to sit and knit! :teehee:

tmsl
11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I just learned continental last weekend to do fair isle. I have not switched yet except for the fair isle, but am really considering this. It is a much faster way to knit. Purls on the other hand are a :!!!:

Laura

Jadzia81
11-04-2006, 05:08 AM
I just cant seem to do it. I keep trying and trying and staring at the demo videos on the site. No matter what I do I cant seem to pull the yarn through with the needle. It always slips off and stays put.

Angelia
11-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Your stitches may be too tight, Jadzia, and thus may not let the new loop through.

If you're talking about purling, try holding the yarn down with the tip of your left middle finger just as your making the swoosh through the loop; it helps keep the yarn from slipping off.